FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Perfex pepper grinder problem (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/392788-perfex-pepper-grinder-problem.html)

Ben Lotto 08-01-2010 11:51 AM

Perfex pepper grinder problem

The nut at the bottom of my Perfex pepper grinder (which I received as
a gift many years ago) won't turn. Two questions:

Any suggestions for fixing this myself?

How would I contact Perfex to take advantage of the lifetime warranty
on the grinder?

Thanks in advance,
-Ben

Sky 09-01-2010 03:21 AM

Ben Lotto wrote:

> The nut at the bottom of my Perfex pepper grinder (which I received as
> a gift many years ago) won't turn. Two questions:
>
> Any suggestions for fixing this myself?
>
> How would I contact Perfex to take advantage of the lifetime warranty
> on the grinder?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Ben

Did you 'googgle' first before asking here? Did you check "perfex.com"
to see if it existed or its parent company's website? A good place to
check is to ask your local librarian for the company's contact
information. Another option would be to look on Ebay or the local
Craigslist to find another exact pepper grinder and cannibalize (sp?)
the parts ;) Those are options I'd try :)) Good luck - I hope you get a
good response whatever you learn.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

jt august[_3_] 10-01-2010 03:11 AM

Perfex pepper grinder problem

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Ben Lotto wrote:
> >
> > The nut at the bottom of my Perfex pepper grinder (which I received as
> > a gift many years ago) won't turn. Two questions:
> >
> > Any suggestions for fixing this myself?
> >
> > How would I contact Perfex to take advantage of the lifetime warranty
> > on the grinder?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > -Ben

> Did you 'googgle' first before asking here? Did you check "perfex.com"
> to see if it existed or its parent company's website? A good place to
> check is to ask your local librarian for the company's contact
> information. Another option would be to look on Ebay or the local
> Craigslist to find another exact pepper grinder and cannibalize (sp?)
> the parts ;) Those are options I'd try :)) Good luck - I hope you get a
> good response whatever you learn.
>
> Sky

I don't know about Ben, but I tried various search options and came up
empty. Best I can recommend to Ben is to contact Sur La Table. They
carry Perfex, so they would be your best bet for contact info on the
manufacturer.

Good luck,
jt

Ed Pawlowski 03-02-2010 04:31 AM

Perfex pepper grinder problem

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 11:43:49 -0800 (PST), paulette >
wrote:

> how does rust happen when you dont put it
>in water?

Rust is oxidation of metal. You don't need water, just the water
vapor (humidity) in the air.

Ben Lotto 20-02-2010 11:03 PM

Perfex pepper grinder problem

On Jan 11, 1:33*am, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> I'm surprised that the OP is having this problem. *I've had the same Perfex
> pepper mill and salt mill since 1968 and never had a problem. *I have
> completely disassembled the mechanism 4-5 times over the years to give it a
> thorough cleaning, especially after adding whole coriander seeds or
> allspice berries to the mix.
>
> A good grasp of the nut with a pair of pliers while holding the handle on
> top stationary should make the nut loosen enough to remove and properly
> clean it. *If it resists, add a few drops of penetrating oil to the nut
> around the threads and allow time for it to work its way in.

I followed Wayne's suggestion and it worked great. I cleaned
everything out with a toothbrush, put a little wax on the thread of
the long handle/nut, and everything is working perfectly now!

[email protected] 22-11-2016 02:37 PM

Perfex pepper grinder problem

I've had mine since '76 . Thete must be a problem as I'm getting whole bits of salt rock on my food. Pretty yukky.
Will try a good clean!

[email protected] 08-02-2017 10:40 PM

On Friday, January 8, 2010 at 5:51:47 AM UTC-5, Ben Lotto wrote:
> The nut at the bottom of my Perfex pepper grinder (which I received as
> a gift many years ago) won't turn. Two questions:
>
> Any suggestions for fixing this myself?
>
> How would I contact Perfex to take advantage of the lifetime warranty
> on the grinder?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -Ben

I have a very old 3 inch Perfex pepper grinder that was my father's. My father just passed away and I have inherited it, yeah! However, the knob on the end of the grinder handle has fallen off. I would love to locate a replacement part for it. The knob of the top also fell off and was lost so I have found another knob to use for it. However, if I find where to purchase the replacement knob for handle I'd also purchase the top knob. I have found that the small family owned company that manufacturers them in Etienne, France is called Ambrunn, but I can't figure out how to get in touch with them to order the parts. And if I do find how to get them, will I need to speak French to describe what I need? In trouble if that is the case. Thanks, Kerry