Malcolm Spann

>And that's the whole deal. The process varies a bit for chicken, veggie
>and fish stocks (which are actually all simpler), but the basic concepts
>are the same.

Steve,

Thank you for the time you've taken in typing up this wonderful
explaination! If I may, though ... what are the 'variations' for your
chicken, veggie and fish stocks?

TIA
Malcolm
Malcolm Spann

>And that's the whole deal. The process varies a bit for chicken, veggie
>and fish stocks (which are actually all simpler), but the basic concepts
>are the same.

Steve,

Thank you for the time you've taken in typing up this wonderful
explaination! If I may, though ... what are the 'variations' for your
chicken, veggie and fish stocks?

TIA
Malcolm
Jim Lahue

Malcolm Spann wrote:

>>And that's the whole deal. The process varies a bit for chicken, veggie
>>and fish stocks (which are actually all simpler), but the basic concepts
>>are the same.

> Steve,
>
> Thank you for the time you've taken in typing up this wonderful
> explaination! If I may, though ... what are the 'variations' for your
> chicken, veggie and fish stocks?
>
> TIA
> Malcolm

Some stock variations include whether to roast the bones or not, the
length of time spent making the stock (I find that it doesn't take as
long to make a good chicken, fish or vegetable stock as it does for
beef, veal or pork stock) and the types of vegetables/spices used in the
stock.

Jim Lahue
Jim Lahue

Malcolm Spann wrote:

>>And that's the whole deal. The process varies a bit for chicken, veggie
>>and fish stocks (which are actually all simpler), but the basic concepts
>>are the same.

> Steve,
>
> Thank you for the time you've taken in typing up this wonderful
> explaination! If I may, though ... what are the 'variations' for your
> chicken, veggie and fish stocks?
>
> TIA
> Malcolm

Some stock variations include whether to roast the bones or not, the
length of time spent making the stock (I find that it doesn't take as
long to make a good chicken, fish or vegetable stock as it does for
beef, veal or pork stock) and the types of vegetables/spices used in the
stock.

Jim Lahue
Michael

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "B.Server" > wrote in message
>
> > Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
> > kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
> > gallon at a time is not much trouble.

> Because it is there. Some people must have the latest gadget just because
> they can. Mostly the same people that have every singe piece of All Clad
> and get upset when it gets a scratch from real use.
>
> Might be handy at times, but if you can't lift the pot to the stove, you
> won't lift if off either. Limited use in a home, great if you are
> handicapped in some way.

It cuts your lifting in half. A fifty percent reduction in work seems to me
like a pretty useful "gadget". Actually probably more than that because the
volume of the fluid is reduced during the stock making.

Michael

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "B.Server" > wrote in message
>
> > Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
> > kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
> > gallon at a time is not much trouble.

> Because it is there. Some people must have the latest gadget just because
> they can. Mostly the same people that have every singe piece of All Clad
> and get upset when it gets a scratch from real use.
>
> Might be handy at times, but if you can't lift the pot to the stove, you
> won't lift if off either. Limited use in a home, great if you are
> handicapped in some way.

It cuts your lifting in half. A fifty percent reduction in work seems to me
like a pretty useful "gadget". Actually probably more than that because the
volume of the fluid is reduced during the stock making.

Peter Aitken

"Michael" > wrote in message

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> >
> > "B.Server" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Personally I have never figured out the utility of one in a home
> > > kitchen. The 5-7 times a year that I make stock, adding water a
> > > gallon at a time is not much trouble.

> > Because it is there. Some people must have the latest gadget just

because
> > they can. Mostly the same people that have every singe piece of All

Clad
> > and get upset when it gets a scratch from real use.
> >
> > Might be handy at times, but if you can't lift the pot to the stove,

you
> > won't lift if off either. Limited use in a home, great if you are
> > handicapped in some way.

> It cuts your lifting in half. A fifty percent reduction in work seems to

me
> like a pretty useful "gadget". Actually probably more than that because

the
> volume of the fluid is reduced during the stock making.

Place large pot on stove. Use a smaller pot to transfer water to it.
Likewise for emptying.

--
Peter Aitken

Peter Aitken