scorpie

Default le creuset stain/"crack"bbbbbbb - is this safe?

hi,
I purchased a white oval french oven le creuset. after a few months I
saw some fine thin lines in the bottom of the pot and brown stains
from food. I even washed it using their special cast iron cleaner, it
get rid of the brown spots, but not the fine thin lines. It says that
this product is free of stains and non reactive. Seeing this fine thin
lines all over the bottom scares me that this could be "cracked"
enamel fromm heating?
could someone tell me what it is and if it's safe to use it?

thanks in advance
Viviane

Stains I wouldn't worry about. I have to admit to letting my le creuset
pans going quite brown before I nuke them. Cracks are a different story and
I suggest you take them back to where you bought them.. I had chips in the
enamel on two pans and took them back to where I bought them. They only
replaced one as a goodwill gesture. They said I had mistreated them. Don't
know how. My grandad in France had his for about 70 years and they weren't
even stained. I guess they don't make them the way they used to.

"scorpie" > wrote in message
om...
> hi,
> I purchased a white oval french oven le creuset. after a few months I
> saw some fine thin lines in the bottom of the pot and brown stains
> from food. I even washed it using their special cast iron cleaner, it
> get rid of the brown spots, but not the fine thin lines. It says that
> this product is free of stains and non reactive. Seeing this fine thin
> lines all over the bottom scares me that this could be "cracked"
> enamel fromm heating?
> could someone tell me what it is and if it's safe to use it?
>
> thanks in advance

Edwin Pawlowski

"Viviane" > wrote in message
> They said I had mistreated them. Don't know how. My grandad in France
> had his for about 70 years and they weren't even stained. I guess they
> don't make them the way they used to.

Rapid heating or cooling will do it. The interior is porcelain lined. It
is like glass coating on cast iron. If you heat it rapidly on a high burner
or if you were to dump water in a very hot pan, the glazing will crack. It
is even possible to crack the entire piece and have it break in half. All
cast iron is vulnerable to cracking under extreme circumstances, steel pans
will usually warp.

Del Cecchi

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Viviane" > wrote in message
> > They said I had mistreated them. Don't know how. My grandad in France
> > had his for about 70 years and they weren't even stained. I guess they
> > don't make them the way they used to.

> Rapid heating or cooling will do it. The interior is porcelain lined. It
> is like glass coating on cast iron. If you heat it rapidly on a high

burner
> or if you were to dump water in a very hot pan, the glazing will crack.

It
> is even possible to crack the entire piece and have it break in half. All
> cast iron is vulnerable to cracking under extreme circumstances, steel

pans
> will usually warp.

Cracking under extreme circumstances? And what might be the circumstances
that would crack plain cast iron? Hitting it with a sledge hammer? Filling
it with water and putting it outside my door in january? They make engine
blocks out of that stuff. Never heard of anyone cracking their skillet.
Now coating it with something with a different coefficient of expansion
makes the thin coating vulnerable.

I could never see the point of the coating anyway, besides to make it look
pretty.

del cecchi

Del Cecchi

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Viviane" > wrote in message
> > They said I had mistreated them. Don't know how. My grandad in France
> > had his for about 70 years and they weren't even stained. I guess they
> > don't make them the way they used to.

> Rapid heating or cooling will do it. The interior is porcelain lined. It
> is like glass coating on cast iron. If you heat it rapidly on a high

burner
> or if you were to dump water in a very hot pan, the glazing will crack.

It
> is even possible to crack the entire piece and have it break in half. All
> cast iron is vulnerable to cracking under extreme circumstances, steel

pans
> will usually warp.

Cracking under extreme circumstances? And what might be the circumstances
that would crack plain cast iron? Hitting it with a sledge hammer? Filling
it with water and putting it outside my door in january? They make engine
blocks out of that stuff. Never heard of anyone cracking their skillet.
Now coating it with something with a different coefficient of expansion
makes the thin coating vulnerable.

I could never see the point of the coating anyway, besides to make it look
pretty.

del cecchi

Blanche Nonken

"Del Cecchi" > wrote:

> Never heard of anyone cracking their skillet.

A flaw in the metal can cause this. I had a skillet crack off its
handle for no reason at all, not even weight - it was a small one, about
6 inches across.

> I could never see the point of the coating anyway, besides to make it look
> pretty.

I don't like to simmer acidic foods in cast iron for long periods. It
messes with the flavor and color. I like the way it uses heat though.
LC ware (which I never pay retail for, btw) does it exactly the way I
want.
Edwin Pawlowski

"Del Cecchi" > wrote in message

> Cracking under extreme circumstances? And what might be the circumstances
> that would crack plain cast iron? Hitting it with a sledge hammer?
> Filling
> it with water and putting it outside my door in january?

Pouring cold water in a hot pan. Overheating an empty pan unevenly (large
an, smaller hot flame). Dropping it on a very hard floor. (will help it
crack later too from other streeses if it does not get it the first time)

> They make engine
> blocks out of that stuff.

Yes, they do. Makes excellent wood burning stoves. Ever hear of a cracked
block in an automobile? Happens a lot as do cracked heads. Ask any
mechanic.

> Never heard of anyone cracking their skillet.

I guess you don't get around much. FWIW, I've been in an industry for the
past 34 years that uses castings. I even sold iron casting for a foundry for
a couple of years. I've seen lots of cracked castings. Some are repairable,
some are trash. Depends on many factors.

Take a look he
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Infor...stIronPans.htm toward the
bottom of the page
A more industrial situation:
http://www.hpac.com/member/feature/2...12Elovitz.html

> Now coating it with something with a different coefficient of expansion
> makes the thin coating vulnerable.

Yes, it will.

> I could never see the point of the coating anyway, besides to make it look
> pretty.

We do agree on something.

Stryjewski

Del Cecchi wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>"Viviane" > wrote in message

>>Rapid heating or cooling will do it. The interior is porcelain lined. It
>>is like glass coating on cast iron. If you heat it rapidly on a high

> burner
>
>>is even possible to crack the entire piece and have it break in half. All
>>cast iron is vulnerable to cracking under extreme circumstances, steel

> pans will usually warp.
>>

> Cracking under extreme circumstances? And what might be the circumstances
> that would crack plain cast iron? Hitting it with a sledge hammer? Filling
> it with water and putting it outside my door in january? They make engine
> blocks out of that stuff. Never heard of anyone cracking their skillet.
> Now coating it with something with a different coefficient of expansion
> makes the thin coating vulnerable.
> del cecchi

Ummm, a cast iron griddle over a campfire will break into many pieces if
it is squirted enough times with a squirt-gun. Or so I've heard ;-)

Pete Stryjewski
pstryjew at att dot net

pltrgyst

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:47:27 -0500, "Del Cecchi" >
wrote:

>Cracking under extreme circumstances? And what might be the circumstances
>that would crack plain cast iron?

Shipping it UPS has done it twice for me.

-- Larry

pltrgyst

wrote:

>Cracking under extreme circumstances? And what might be the circumstances
>that would crack plain cast iron?

Shipping it UPS has done it twice for me.

-- Larry

ps

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...t+crack&btnG=S
earch

"scorpie" > wrote in message
om...
> hi,
> I purchased a white oval french oven le creuset. after a few months I
> saw some fine thin lines in the bottom of the pot and brown stains
> from food. I even washed it using their special cast iron cleaner, it
> get rid of the brown spots, but not the fine thin lines. It says that
> this product is free of stains and non reactive. Seeing this fine thin
> lines all over the bottom scares me that this could be "cracked"
> enamel fromm heating?
> could someone tell me what it is and if it's safe to use it?
>
> thanks in advance

---

ps

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...t+crack&btnG=S
earch

"scorpie" > wrote in message
om...
> hi,
> I purchased a white oval french oven le creuset. after a few months I
> saw some fine thin lines in the bottom of the pot and brown stains
> from food. I even washed it using their special cast iron cleaner, it
> get rid of the brown spots, but not the fine thin lines. It says that
> this product is free of stains and non reactive. Seeing this fine thin
> lines all over the bottom scares me that this could be "cracked"
> enamel fromm heating?
> could someone tell me what it is and if it's safe to use it?
>
> thanks in advance

---

ps

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...t+crack&btnG=S
earch

"scorpie" > wrote in message
om...
> hi,
> I purchased a white oval french oven le creuset. after a few months I
> saw some fine thin lines in the bottom of the pot and brown stains
> from food. I even washed it using their special cast iron cleaner, it
> get rid of the brown spots, but not the fine thin lines. It says that
> this product is free of stains and non reactive. Seeing this fine thin
> lines all over the bottom scares me that this could be "cracked"
> enamel fromm heating?
> could someone tell me what it is and if it's safe to use it?
>
> thanks in advance

---

Tea stain notbob Tea 5 28-03-2015 04:33 PM
Crack Pie ImStillMags General Cooking 7 08-11-2010 05:28 PM
LA Times' Crack Pie Terry Pulliam Burd[_4_] General Cooking 28 13-02-2010 03:14 PM
Tea Stain Tip Wayne Boatwright[_4_] General Cooking 31 01-06-2008 02:12 PM