Wayne

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in
>> :

>> > My late MIL had a turquoise, hang on the wall refrigerator. My aunt
>> > still does. This proves that at least two of them were made.
>> >
>> > Matthew (refrigerator on the wall == act of faith)

>> About ten years ago a friend of mine bought an early sixties house
>> which had a huge all turquoise kitchen...appliances, steel cabinets,
>> and sinks. There were two 4-burner electric cooktops, two wall ovens,
>> refrigerator, freezer, and two sinks. There had been only one
>> previous owner who apparently never cooked. Everything looked as
>> though it had just been installed. The refrigerator and freezer were
>> both wall-mounted.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> Article on mid-century kitchens with picture of turquoise cabinets and
> appliances:
> http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers....asp?num=24009
>
> I had relative who owned a small town appliance store in the 1960s.
> They had kitchen with powder blue cabinets and appliances - a color
> that I have never seen again.

Thanks for posting that link, Vox. Interesting, and a nice bit of
nostalgia attached.

I've never seen or heard of the powder blue color either. Could it have
been custom?

When I was growing up, we lived in a home that was probably built and
outfitted in the late forties. That kitchen had heavy steel cabinets and
all-electric appliances which were all colored "jadite" green, and lots
of chrome. I always thought it was rather pretty.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

"Vox Humana" > wrote in
:

> "Wayne" > wrote in message
>> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in
>> :

>> > My late MIL had a turquoise, hang on the wall refrigerator. My aunt
>> > still does. This proves that at least two of them were made.
>> >
>> > Matthew (refrigerator on the wall == act of faith)

>> About ten years ago a friend of mine bought an early sixties house
>> which had a huge all turquoise kitchen...appliances, steel cabinets,
>> and sinks. There were two 4-burner electric cooktops, two wall ovens,
>> refrigerator, freezer, and two sinks. There had been only one
>> previous owner who apparently never cooked. Everything looked as
>> though it had just been installed. The refrigerator and freezer were
>> both wall-mounted.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne in Phoenix

> Article on mid-century kitchens with picture of turquoise cabinets and
> appliances:
> http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers....asp?num=24009
>
> I had relative who owned a small town appliance store in the 1960s.
> They had kitchen with powder blue cabinets and appliances - a color
> that I have never seen again.

Thanks for posting that link, Vox. Interesting, and a nice bit of
nostalgia attached.

I've never seen or heard of the powder blue color either. Could it have
been custom?

When I was growing up, we lived in a home that was probably built and
outfitted in the late forties. That kitchen had heavy steel cabinets and
all-electric appliances which were all colored "jadite" green, and lots
of chrome. I always thought it was rather pretty.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Karen

:

>>>About ten years ago a friend of mine bought an early sixties house
>>>which had a huge all turquoise kitchen...appliances, steel cabinets,
>>>and sinks. There were two 4-burner electric cooktops, two wall ovens,
>>>refrigerator, freezer, and two sinks. There had been only one
>>>previous owner who apparently never cooked. Everything looked as
>>>though it had just been installed. The refrigerator and freezer were
>>>both wall-mounted.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Wayne in Phoenix

>>Article on mid-century kitchens with picture of turquoise cabinets and
>>appliances:
>>http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers....asp?num=24009
>>
>>I had relative who owned a small town appliance store in the 1960s.
>>They had kitchen with powder blue cabinets and appliances - a color
>>that I have never seen again.

> Thanks for posting that link, Vox. Interesting, and a nice bit of
> nostalgia attached.
>
> I've never seen or heard of the powder blue color either. Could it have
> been custom?
>
> When I was growing up, we lived in a home that was probably built and
> outfitted in the late forties. That kitchen had heavy steel cabinets and
> all-electric appliances which were all colored "jadite" green, and lots
> of chrome. I always thought it was rather pretty.

It was an interesting article but (here comes one of my pet peeves) I am
continually amazed that whenever someone wants to give a room a "50's
look" or "retro look" they inevitably install a black and white
checkered floor. As someone who is well versed in 40's/50's design I
can guarantee there were far more choices than that! In fact, I recall
seeing just a couple "black and white" (usually not a solid color but
with a marbleized look. See:
http://www.flexcofloors.com/rubber_retro.asp
and click on "color palette") checkered floors in all of the magazines
and design books I have from that era and even then the tiles were
usually 9" squared, not the 12" squared that is prevalent today. It's
amazing how different a floor looks when done in 9" squares as opposed
to 12" squares. I truly wonder why people just default to that black
and white checkered pattern?!

I dream of finding a 40's/50's home in unaltered condition! Until then
I will continue to redecorate each room in my current home to as close
to the 50's as possible. My husband and I started a kitchen remodel
last fall and when it is FINALLY finished (we wanted to do most of the
work ourselves) I will post a link to some pictures if anyone is interested.

Wayne, the kitchen of your youth sounds incredible! Lucky you!

Karen B. - thevintagegirl
Karen

:

>>>About ten years ago a friend of mine bought an early sixties house
>>>which had a huge all turquoise kitchen...appliances, steel cabinets,
>>>and sinks. There were two 4-burner electric cooktops, two wall ovens,
>>>refrigerator, freezer, and two sinks. There had been only one
>>>previous owner who apparently never cooked. Everything looked as
>>>though it had just been installed. The refrigerator and freezer were
>>>both wall-mounted.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Wayne in Phoenix

>>Article on mid-century kitchens with picture of turquoise cabinets and
>>appliances:
>>http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers....asp?num=24009
>>
>>I had relative who owned a small town appliance store in the 1960s.
>>They had kitchen with powder blue cabinets and appliances - a color
>>that I have never seen again.

> Thanks for posting that link, Vox. Interesting, and a nice bit of
> nostalgia attached.
>
> I've never seen or heard of the powder blue color either. Could it have
> been custom?
>
> When I was growing up, we lived in a home that was probably built and
> outfitted in the late forties. That kitchen had heavy steel cabinets and
> all-electric appliances which were all colored "jadite" green, and lots
> of chrome. I always thought it was rather pretty.

It was an interesting article but (here comes one of my pet peeves) I am
continually amazed that whenever someone wants to give a room a "50's
look" or "retro look" they inevitably install a black and white
checkered floor. As someone who is well versed in 40's/50's design I
can guarantee there were far more choices than that! In fact, I recall
seeing just a couple "black and white" (usually not a solid color but
with a marbleized look. See:
http://www.flexcofloors.com/rubber_retro.asp
and click on "color palette") checkered floors in all of the magazines
and design books I have from that era and even then the tiles were
usually 9" squared, not the 12" squared that is prevalent today. It's
amazing how different a floor looks when done in 9" squares as opposed
to 12" squares. I truly wonder why people just default to that black
and white checkered pattern?!

I dream of finding a 40's/50's home in unaltered condition! Until then
I will continue to redecorate each room in my current home to as close
to the 50's as possible. My husband and I started a kitchen remodel
last fall and when it is FINALLY finished (we wanted to do most of the
work ourselves) I will post a link to some pictures if anyone is interested.

Wayne, the kitchen of your youth sounds incredible! Lucky you!

Karen B. - thevintagegirl
Matthew L. Martin

Karen wrote:

> It was an interesting article but (here comes one of my pet peeves) I am
> continually amazed that whenever someone wants to give a room a "50's
> look" or "retro look" they inevitably install a black and white
> checkered floor. As someone who is well versed in 40's/50's design I
> can guarantee there were far more choices than that! In fact, I recall
> seeing just a couple "black and white" (usually not a solid color but
> with a marbleized look. See:
> http://www.flexcofloors.com/rubber_retro.asp

Right you are!

I distinctly remember removing a kitchen floor in my parents home in the
1960s. It was 9" tiles, red, white and grey, though not in a strict
checkerboard pattern. IIRC, the red and white were a checkerboard with
an offset grey boarder (red an grey against the walls, solid grey band
boarder and a red and grey field).

My parents were going to put down sheet goods until they found a solid
maple floor under the tarpaper underlayment.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game

Matthew L. Martin

Karen wrote:

> It was an interesting article but (here comes one of my pet peeves) I am
> continually amazed that whenever someone wants to give a room a "50's
> look" or "retro look" they inevitably install a black and white
> checkered floor. As someone who is well versed in 40's/50's design I
> can guarantee there were far more choices than that! In fact, I recall
> seeing just a couple "black and white" (usually not a solid color but
> with a marbleized look. See:
> http://www.flexcofloors.com/rubber_retro.asp

Right you are!

I distinctly remember removing a kitchen floor in my parents home in the
1960s. It was 9" tiles, red, white and grey, though not in a strict
checkerboard pattern. IIRC, the red and white were a checkerboard with
an offset grey boarder (red an grey against the walls, solid grey band
boarder and a red and grey field).

My parents were going to put down sheet goods until they found a solid
maple floor under the tarpaper underlayment.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Gini

In article >, Karen says...

:

>>>Article on mid-century kitchens with picture of turquoise cabinets and
>>>appliances:
>>>http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers....asp?num=24009
>>>
>>>I had relative who owned a small town appliance store in the 1960s.
>>>They had kitchen with powder blue cabinets and appliances - a color
>>>that I have never seen again.

>> Thanks for posting that link, Vox. Interesting, and a nice bit of
>> nostalgia attached.
>>
>> I've never seen or heard of the powder blue color either. Could it have
>> been custom?
>>
>> When I was growing up, we lived in a home that was probably built and
>> outfitted in the late forties. That kitchen had heavy steel cabinets and
>> all-electric appliances which were all colored "jadite" green, and lots
>> of chrome. I always thought it was rather pretty.
>>

>It was an interesting article but (here comes one of my pet peeves) I am
>continually amazed that whenever someone wants to give a room a "50's
>look" or "retro look" they inevitably install a black and white
>checkered floor. As someone who is well versed in 40's/50's design I
>can guarantee there were far more choices than that! In fact, I recall
>seeing just a couple "black and white" (usually not a solid color but
>with a marbleized look. See:
>http://www.flexcofloors.com/rubber_retro.asp
>and click on "color palette") checkered floors in all of the magazines
>and design books I have from that era and even then the tiles were
>usually 9" squared, not the 12" squared that is prevalent today. It's
>amazing how different a floor looks when done in 9" squares as opposed
>to 12" squares. I truly wonder why people just default to that black
>and white checkered pattern?!

===
I fondly remember my Aunt Blanche's confetti linoleum kitchen floor--and her
black telephone with no dial. Still, a house we bought the 80s had the 12" black
and white tiles (and marbled red countertops, of course). I also know of someone
who has an old top load dishwasher, integrated in his white metal cabinets,
still in use in his house (which was/is a Craftsman style house purchased from
Sears and pretty much untouched since construction. Enjoy your quest, Karen.
Sounds like a blast.
===

>I dream of finding a 40's/50's home in unaltered condition! Until then
>I will continue to redecorate each room in my current home to as close
>to the 50's as possible. My husband and I started a kitchen remodel
>last fall and when it is FINALLY finished (we wanted to do most of the
>work ourselves) I will post a link to some pictures if anyone is interested.
>
>Wayne, the kitchen of your youth sounds incredible! Lucky you!
>
>Karen B. - thevintagegirl

Gini

In article >, Karen says...

:

>>>Article on mid-century kitchens with picture of turquoise cabinets and
>>>appliances:
>>>http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers....asp?num=24009
>>>
>>>I had relative who owned a small town appliance store in the 1960s.
>>>They had kitchen with powder blue cabinets and appliances - a color
>>>that I have never seen again.

>> Thanks for posting that link, Vox. Interesting, and a nice bit of
>> nostalgia attached.
>>
>> I've never seen or heard of the powder blue color either. Could it have
>> been custom?
>>
>> When I was growing up, we lived in a home that was probably built and
>> outfitted in the late forties. That kitchen had heavy steel cabinets and
>> all-electric appliances which were all colored "jadite" green, and lots
>> of chrome. I always thought it was rather pretty.
>>

>It was an interesting article but (here comes one of my pet peeves) I am
>continually amazed that whenever someone wants to give a room a "50's
>look" or "retro look" they inevitably install a black and white
>checkered floor. As someone who is well versed in 40's/50's design I
>can guarantee there were far more choices than that! In fact, I recall
>seeing just a couple "black and white" (usually not a solid color but
>with a marbleized look. See:
>http://www.flexcofloors.com/rubber_retro.asp
>and click on "color palette") checkered floors in all of the magazines
>and design books I have from that era and even then the tiles were
>usually 9" squared, not the 12" squared that is prevalent today. It's
>amazing how different a floor looks when done in 9" squares as opposed
>to 12" squares. I truly wonder why people just default to that black
>and white checkered pattern?!

===
I fondly remember my Aunt Blanche's confetti linoleum kitchen floor--and her
black telephone with no dial. Still, a house we bought the 80s had the 12" black
and white tiles (and marbled red countertops, of course). I also know of someone
who has an old top load dishwasher, integrated in his white metal cabinets,
still in use in his house (which was/is a Craftsman style house purchased from
Sears and pretty much untouched since construction. Enjoy your quest, Karen.
Sounds like a blast.
===

>I dream of finding a 40's/50's home in unaltered condition! Until then
>I will continue to redecorate each room in my current home to as close
>to the 50's as possible. My husband and I started a kitchen remodel
>last fall and when it is FINALLY finished (we wanted to do most of the
>work ourselves) I will post a link to some pictures if anyone is interested.
>
>Wayne, the kitchen of your youth sounds incredible! Lucky you!
>
>Karen B. - thevintagegirl

Wayne

Karen > wrote in
:

:

>>>Article on mid-century kitchens with picture of turquoise cabinets
>>>and appliances:
>>>http://www.worldandi.com/subscribers....asp?num=24009
>>>
>>>I had relative who owned a small town appliance store in the 1960s.
>>>They had kitchen with powder blue cabinets and appliances - a color
>>>that I have never seen again.

>> Thanks for posting that link, Vox. Interesting, and a nice bit of
>> nostalgia attached.
>>
>> I've never seen or heard of the powder blue color either. Could it
>> have been custom?
>>
>> When I was growing up, we lived in a home that was probably built and
>> outfitted in the late forties. That kitchen had heavy steel cabinets
>> and all-electric appliances which were all colored "jadite" green,
>> and lots of chrome. I always thought it was rather pretty.
>>

> It was an interesting article but (here comes one of my pet peeves) I
> am continually amazed that whenever someone wants to give a room a
> "50's look" or "retro look" they inevitably install a black and white
> checkered floor. As someone who is well versed in 40's/50's design I
> can guarantee there were far more choices than that! In fact, I
> recall seeing just a couple "black and white" (usually not a solid
> color but with a marbleized look. See:
> http://www.flexcofloors.com/rubber_retro.asp
> and click on "color palette") checkered floors in all of the magazines
> and design books I have from that era and even then the tiles were
> usually 9" squared, not the 12" squared that is prevalent today. It's
> amazing how different a floor looks when done in 9" squares as opposed
> to 12" squares. I truly wonder why people just default to that black
> and white checkered pattern?!
>
> I dream of finding a 40's/50's home in unaltered condition! Until
> then I will continue to redecorate each room in my current home to as
> close to the 50's as possible. My husband and I started a kitchen
> remodel last fall and when it is FINALLY finished (we wanted to do
> most of the work ourselves) I will post a link to some pictures if
> anyone is interested.
>
> Wayne, the kitchen of your youth sounds incredible! Lucky you!
>
> Karen B. - thevintagegirl

I agree with what you've said, Karen. Also popular during the 40's/50's
was "battleship" linoleum, use primarily for floors, but also popular on
walls and counters.

In the 1920's home we lived in prior to the one described earlier, every
surface in the kitchen, except the cabinets and appliances, was covered
in inlaid linoleum. The central portion of the floor and upper walls was
a lighly marbelized gold. The border of the floor and lower walls was a
lightly marbelized cocoa brown. The central portion had inlaid diamond
shapes of the cocoa color. The countertops were a solid red with a few
gold flecks.

The bathroom was done in a similar fashion, in shades of buff and maroon
linoleum. I think both the kitchen and bath had been renovated in the
1940's.

Twice a year, all the linoleum surfaces were stripped and recoated and
polished with paste wax.

Those were two great kitchens. I wish I had pictures! Alas, the
kitchens they had after that were "standard issue".

--
Wayne in Phoenix

unmunge as w-e-b

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
Wayne

Karen > wrote in
:

:

> [...]

In the 1920's home we lived in prior to the one described earlier, every
surface in the kitchen, except the cabinets and appliances, was covered
in inlaid linoleum. The central portion of the floor and upper walls was
a lighly marbelized gold. The border of the floor and lower walls was a
lightly marbelized cocoa brown. The central portion had inlaid diamond
shapes of the cocoa color. The countertops were a solid red with a few
gold flecks.

The bathroom was done in a similar fashion, in shades of buff and maroon
linoleum. I think both the kitchen and bath had been renovated in the
1940's.

Twice a year, all the linoleum surfaces were stripped and recoated and
polished with paste wax.

Those were two great kitchens. I wish I had pictures! Alas, the
kitchens they had after that were "standard issue".

Wayne

Karen > wrote in
:

: