Bill

Default wolf range doesn't accommodate standard sheet pans

in article , rachael traub at
wrote on 21/07/04 15:48:

> I was under the impression that you
> cannot legally install a commercial range in a home, according to
> building code.

Hi Rachael

I don't know where you live, but where I live, British Columbia, Canada,
there is no restriction on having a commercial range in a house. I have one
in my house. There are some installation requirements that have to be met
however.

First a commercial range is not insulated like a domestic range so the
commercial range has to have a specific clearance from a combustible
surface. This is easily resolved with appropriate materials and suitable
insulation. Second, the commercial range has a much higher heat output than
a domestic range and therefore requires adequate exhaust ventilation and
third you need adequate gas supply as the commercial ranges have a higher
fuel demand than domestic ranges.

I would have to say that you perhaps are in the minority of the buyers of
commercial look a like domestic ranges. The vast majority of the buyers,
purchase them for the look and are not interested in using commercial pans
or other cooking equipment. ( Don't anyone flame me on this observation as
it is not mine but that of appliance retailers).

Rachael, I doubt that you will find anyone selling a pan to fit your oven so
I would suggest, if you really have the need for larger pans, to find a
sheet metal shop that can knock you out a few.

Cheers

Bill

Bill

in article , rachael traub at
wrote on 21/07/04 15:48:

> I was under the impression that you
> cannot legally install a commercial range in a home, according to
> building code.

Hi Rachael

I don't know where you live, but where I live, British Columbia, Canada,
there is no restriction on having a commercial range in a house. I have one
in my house. There are some installation requirements that have to be met
however.

First a commercial range is not insulated like a domestic range so the
commercial range has to have a specific clearance from a combustible
surface. This is easily resolved with appropriate materials and suitable
insulation. Second, the commercial range has a much higher heat output than
a domestic range and therefore requires adequate exhaust ventilation and
third you need adequate gas supply as the commercial ranges have a higher
fuel demand than domestic ranges.

I would have to say that you perhaps are in the minority of the buyers of
commercial look a like domestic ranges. The vast majority of the buyers,
purchase them for the look and are not interested in using commercial pans
or other cooking equipment. ( Don't anyone flame me on this observation as
it is not mine but that of appliance retailers).

Rachael, I doubt that you will find anyone selling a pan to fit your oven so
I would suggest, if you really have the need for larger pans, to find a
sheet metal shop that can knock you out a few.

Cheers

Bill

Joe Doe

In article >,

> Rachael, I doubt that you will find anyone selling a pan to fit your oven so
> I would suggest, if you really have the need for larger pans, to find a
> sheet metal shop that can knock you out a few.
>
> Cheers
>
> Bill

For the benefit of those considering similar purchases Bluestar claims
that their residential ranges will fit a full sheet pan.

http://www.prizer-painter.com/

Roland
Joe Doe

wrote on 21/07/04 15:48:

> > I was under the impression that you
> > cannot legally install a commercial range in a home, according to
> > building code.

> Hi Rachael
>
> I don't know where you live, but where I live, British Columbia, Canada,
> there is no restriction on having a commercial range in a house. I have one
> in my house.

What kind of range do you have? What is the rated BTU of the burners?

If you are so inclined could you run a little test: See how long it
takes to bring 6 quarts of water in a large pot to a rolling boil.
Should you choose to do so, please be as precise as you can in terms of
volumes and what you define as boiling (few bubbles vs vigorous rolling
boil (my preferred endpoint).

I am trying to establish a database that will be available for potential
buyers so that they can see how rated BTU translates to real world
performance.

I recently bought a Hotpoint (model rated favorably by CR) that has a
12,000 BTU burner. It takes about 20 minutes to bring 6 quarts to a
rolling boil. This compares very favorably with the Bluestar that took
17 minutes and 40 seconds in Rosengartens tests published he

http://www.departures.com/ad/ad_1103_cookranges.html

Essentially, the Hotpoint delivers 90% of the performance at 10% of the
price. Based on raw BTU ratings of the burners you would have expected
a bigger difference.

I am doing several measurements and in many areas (relating to actual
performance) the Hotpoint compares VERY FAVORABLY to ranges costing >
ten times more. Obviously many of the differences are aesthetic and
Hotpoint fares less favorably here. When I have had a chance to fully
evaluate the range I will post a summary here.

Roland

Roland

Joe Doe

wrote on 21/07/04 15:48:

> > I was under the impression that you
> > cannot legally install a commercial range in a home, according to
> > building code.

> Hi Rachael
>
> I don't know where you live, but where I live, British Columbia, Canada,
> there is no restriction on having a commercial range in a house. I have one
> in my house.

What kind of range do you have? What is the rated BTU of the burners?

If you are so inclined could you run a little test: See how long it
takes to bring 6 quarts of water in a large pot to a rolling boil.
Should you choose to do so, please be as precise as you can in terms of
volumes and what you define as boiling (few bubbles vs vigorous rolling
boil (my preferred endpoint).

I am trying to establish a database that will be available for potential
buyers so that they can see how rated BTU translates to real world
performance.

I recently bought a Hotpoint (model rated favorably by CR) that has a
12,000 BTU burner. It takes about 20 minutes to bring 6 quarts to a
rolling boil. This compares very favorably with the Bluestar that took
17 minutes and 40 seconds in Rosengartens tests published he

http://www.departures.com/ad/ad_1103_cookranges.html

Essentially, the Hotpoint delivers 90% of the performance at 10% of the
price. Based on raw BTU ratings of the burners you would have expected
a bigger difference.

I am doing several measurements and in many areas (relating to actual
performance) the Hotpoint compares VERY FAVORABLY to ranges costing >
ten times more. Obviously many of the differences are aesthetic and
Hotpoint fares less favorably here. When I have had a chance to fully
evaluate the range I will post a summary here.

Roland

Roland
rachael traub

Bill > wrote in message >...

> Rachael, I doubt that you will find anyone selling a pan to fit your oven so
> I would suggest, if you really have the need for larger pans, to find a
> sheet metal shop that can knock you out a few.

Thanks to this post, I recived an email pointing out a source for 3/4
sheet pans. They are 21 x 15 and sturdy commercial grade. While they
do not allow me to take advantage of the full capacity of my wolf
oven, they are an 81 square inch upgrade over half sheet pans. I
bought mine at acemart.com for $6.95 each. I also discovered that a
search for 'bun pans' will return more results than 'sheet pans'.
rachael traub