LaUna

Default Dishwashers - using vinegar instead of rinse aid

Mickey Zalusky wrote:

> I recent heard that filling the rinse aid compartment in your dishwasher
> is an inexpensive alternative to using rinse aid. Has anyone out there
> ever tried this? Does it work? Any concerns about the vinegar harming
> the dishwasher components?

Believe it or not, I tried it in my dishwasher. I live in an extremely
hard water area and had a lot of problems with getting the dishes streak
free. The vinegar in the rinse aid dispenser did not really help. I
think that there was not enough dispensed to make a difference. Your
water might not be as hard and it might work fine for you. It won't
hurt the components of the dishwasher. I used to throw in a quarter-cup
of vinegar into the final rinse and then everything was beautiful.

I have switched to the Cascade "2 in 1 Action Pacs" that have (I think)
Dawn detergent in the "bubble". They get everything cleaner and better
looking than anything else ever has. I use one and run a "normal" cycle
with Jet Dry in the dispenser. I don't really care if they cost more as
long as my dishes look good enough to use without my baby sitting the
dishwasher and throwing vinegar into the final rinse.

I hope this helps a bit.

LaUna

Rinse or not before using dishwasher Viviane Cooking Equipment 12 02-09-2010 04:13 AM
Too Much Sulfite In Rinse... jim c Winemaking 8 16-11-2008 08:48 PM
DRAIN N' RINSE General Cooking 14 25-08-2004 12:28 AM
Dishwashers - using vinegar instead of rinse aid Mickey Zalusky Cooking Equipment 3 13-07-2004 05:38 AM
To rinse or not to rinse. NancyJaye General Cooking 32 08-02-2004 01:21 AM