Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default dual-fuel stoves

Hello All,

Soon I will be moving. Before I do, one of the things on the
agenda is remodeling the kitchen. The current stove is gas.
Before it became apparent that the cabinets and counters would be
replaced, I figured I see whether I liked baking with gas, and I
would get a dual-fuel stove if I didn't. However, it appears that
the time to do so would be during the remodeling process, so I
ask... What dual-fuel stoves would you folks recommend--or advise
me to stay away from? Thanks!
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> Soon I will be moving. Before I do, one of the things on the agenda is
> remodeling the kitchen. The current stove is gas. Before it became
> apparent that the cabinets and counters would be replaced, I figured I see
> whether I liked baking with gas, and I would get a dual-fuel stove if I
> didn't. However, it appears that the time to do so would be during the
> remodeling process, so I ask... What dual-fuel stoves would you folks
> recommend--or advise me to stay away from? Thanks!
> --
> Jean B.

I'd buy a Bertazonni (I have the all gas) or a Bosch.

http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/Pro....aspx?CatID=PS

Go see one. I did and bought it in black. Wish I had the room for a 48"
though. They are painted in the same plant that paints the body for
Lamborghini sports cars. Same quality too.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Soon I will be moving. Before I do, one of the things on the agenda is
>> remodeling the kitchen. The current stove is gas. Before it became
>> apparent that the cabinets and counters would be replaced, I figured I see
>> whether I liked baking with gas, and I would get a dual-fuel stove if I
>> didn't. However, it appears that the time to do so would be during the
>> remodeling process, so I ask... What dual-fuel stoves would you folks
>> recommend--or advise me to stay away from? Thanks!
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I'd buy a Bertazonni (I have the all gas) or a Bosch.
>
> http://www.bertazzoni-italia.com/Pro....aspx?CatID=PS
>
> Go see one. I did and bought it in black. Wish I had the room for a 48"
> though. They are painted in the same plant that paints the body for
> Lamborghini sports cars. Same quality too.

I shall explore those. Thanks! I will also explore how easily
one can get them serviced. When I bought my Bosch dishwasher,
there were very few authorized service companies--and they were
MOST unsatisfactory!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:39:29 -0500, Jean B. > wrote:

>ask... What dual-fuel stoves would you folks recommend--or advise
>me to stay away from? Thanks!

Consumers Reports covers ranges once or twice a year. The most recent being
the December 2009 issue. In general they find the dual-fuel are no better
than all gas ranges. It depends on the specific model.

And they don't find the pro ranges to be worth the stiff premium they
command, with the oven often getting a low score.

If you can't find this issue in your public library, e-mail me privately
and I'll scan the article for you.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Don Wiss" > wrote in message

> And they don't find the pro ranges to be worth the stiff premium they
> command, with the oven often getting a low score.

Worth is in the eye of the beholder. I find that for every 20% price
increase, the value is added is about 10%. Yes, you do pay for premium
goodies on appliances, automobiles, electronics, and just about anything we
buy.

If you are frying an egg, most any stove with any fuel will do. If you want
a more powerful burner, only the higher prices lines will have them. If you
want the continuous grid across the top to slide pan, only the higher priced
units will have them.

The cooks at CR mostly make mac & cheese and mashed potatoes and any plain
stove for $400 will do that. Anything above that price is a matter of
choice. The roasted chicken from my convection oven is far better that the
less expensive ovens can produce though, so I'm willing to pay for it.
Others may not.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Don Wiss wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 13:39:29 -0500, Jean B. > wrote:
>
>> ask... What dual-fuel stoves would you folks recommend--or advise
>> me to stay away from? Thanks!

> Consumers Reports covers ranges once or twice a year. The most recent being
> the December 2009 issue. In general they find the dual-fuel are no better
> than all gas ranges. It depends on the specific model.
>
> And they don't find the pro ranges to be worth the stiff premium they
> command, with the oven often getting a low score.
>
> If you can't find this issue in your public library, e-mail me privately
> and I'll scan the article for you.
>
> Don <www.donwiss.com> (e-mail link at home page bottom).

Thanks. I think I will be able to find that. In fact, I think
they sell it separately now. (My subscription lapsed.)

I don't need a professional model, but I do like baking in an
electric oven. Depending on the state of things (i.e., whether
the kitchen gets done immediately), I will try out the gas oven.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> "Don Wiss" > wrote in message
>> And they don't find the pro ranges to be worth the stiff premium they
>> command, with the oven often getting a low score.

> Worth is in the eye of the beholder. I find that for every 20% price
> increase, the value is added is about 10%. Yes, you do pay for premium
> goodies on appliances, automobiles, electronics, and just about anything we
> buy.
>
> If you are frying an egg, most any stove with any fuel will do. If you want
> a more powerful burner, only the higher prices lines will have them. If you
> want the continuous grid across the top to slide pan, only the higher priced
> units will have them.
>
> The cooks at CR mostly make mac & cheese and mashed potatoes and any plain
> stove for $400 will do that. Anything above that price is a matter of
> choice. The roasted chicken from my convection oven is far better that the
> less expensive ovens can produce though, so I'm willing to pay for it.
> Others may not.

Ahhhh. I'll look at what CR has tested the things with--IF they
provide that information.

ANY burners will be better than the feeble ones on my current
range (although I will miss the induction burners, feeble as they
were).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Dee Dee is offline

"Jean B." > wrote in news:7mo63sF3im031U1
@mid.individual.net:

> Hello All,
>
> Soon I will be moving. Before I do, one of the things on the
> agenda is remodeling the kitchen. The current stove is gas.
> Before it became apparent that the cabinets and counters would be
> replaced, I figured I see whether I liked baking with gas, and I
> would get a dual-fuel stove if I didn't. However, it appears that
> the time to do so would be during the remodeling process, so I
> ask... What dual-fuel stoves would you folks recommend--or advise
> me to stay away from? Thanks!

I have a dual-fuel Frigidaire that I bought in 2000 when I remodeled my
kitchen. It has held up well so far. The stove it replaced was an
ancient electric model left here by previous owner. I love gas for
cooktops and electric ovens for baking so for me it was ideal. Bottom
line, I would purchase it again.

Dee
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee wrote:
> I have a dual-fuel Frigidaire that I bought in 2000 when I remodeled my
> kitchen. It has held up well so far. The stove it replaced was an
> ancient electric model left here by previous owner. I love gas for
> cooktops and electric ovens for baking so for me it was ideal. Bottom
> line, I would purchase it again.
>
> Dee

thank you, Dee. It now appears that I will have some time to cook
on and in the gas stove, so I will be able to see how I like
baking with gas.

--
Jean B.

Dual Fuel BBQs sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 08-02-2014 11:20 PM
Looking at a dual fuel stove markw Cooking Equipment 0 28-05-2006 08:51 PM
Looking at a dual fuel stove Don Wiss Cooking Equipment 0 22-05-2006 10:12 PM
any opinions on "dual fuel" ranges The Old Bear Baking 12 29-04-2005 06:28 AM
High end Dual Fuel Ranges debmom Cooking Equipment 10 23-01-2005 03:45 AM