Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Stick Blender - Help! I toasted mine!

I had an inexpensive Toastmaster® "Hand Blender" It was fine for the
occasional use I gave it like pureeing stuff and making mayonnaise. Last
week I was pureeing some carrots and squash and the damned thing went
"pop" and started smoking.

I need a new one. I don't want to spend more than $50 for something I
don't use that often. I've looked at a few brands, but I'd like some
recommendations from the folks here.

I don't want a bunch of attachment gizmos that I don't need, just a
stick blender with maybe a straignt-sided container for mayonnaise
making (which would be nice but not necessary as I have a peanut butter jar)

TIA,

Janet
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>I had an inexpensive Toastmaster® "Hand Blender" It was fine for the
>occasional use I gave it like pureeing stuff and making mayonnaise. Last
>week I was pureeing some carrots and squash and the damned thing went "pop"
>and started smoking.
>
> I need a new one. I don't want to spend more than $50 for something I
> don't use that often. I've looked at a few brands, but I'd like some
> recommendations from the folks here.
>
> I don't want a bunch of attachment gizmos that I don't need, just a stick
> blender with maybe a straignt-sided container for mayonnaise making (which
> would be nice but not necessary as I have a peanut butter jar)

We bought a Cuisinart. First one died after one use. The second one has
not been tried yet. I'd buy a different brand next time.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I had an inexpensive Toastmaster® "Hand Blender" It was fine for the
> occasional use I gave it like pureeing stuff and making mayonnaise. Last
> week I was pureeing some carrots and squash and the damned thing went
> "pop" and started smoking.
>
> I need a new one. I don't want to spend more than $50 for something I
> don't use that often. I've looked at a few brands, but I'd like some
> recommendations from the folks here.
>
> I don't want a bunch of attachment gizmos that I don't need, just a
> stick blender with maybe a straignt-sided container for mayonnaise
> making (which would be nice but not necessary as I have a peanut butter jar)
>
> TIA,
>
> Janet

I bought a Hamilton Beach one at Kohls on sale for under $20. It came
with detachable mixer tip, milk shake shaft and wire whisk. Being
detachable is a must for clean up. Keep the motor unit away from the
water. I love this. Came in a nice storage case so all the pieces are
kept together.

Current price is $29.99 and the sale as I type is only $26.99, but as
Christmas approaches, the better sales will hit.

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitc...hen/hamiltonbe
ach/PRD~337717/Hamilton+Beach+Hand+Blender.jsp

The page doesn't show the carry case, but the rest of the unit and
attachments. However, if you click on More Views, a pic of the case is
there.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> I had an inexpensive Toastmaster® "Hand Blender" It was fine for the
>> occasional use I gave it like pureeing stuff and making mayonnaise. Last
>> week I was pureeing some carrots and squash and the damned thing went
>> "pop" and started smoking.
>>
>> I need a new one. I don't want to spend more than $50 for something I
>> don't use that often. I've looked at a few brands, but I'd like some
>> recommendations from the folks here.
>>
>> I don't want a bunch of attachment gizmos that I don't need, just a
>> stick blender with maybe a straignt-sided container for mayonnaise
>> making (which would be nice but not necessary as I have a peanut butter jar)
>>
>> TIA,
>>
>> Janet

> I bought a Hamilton Beach one at Kohls on sale for under $20. It came
> with detachable mixer tip, milk shake shaft and wire whisk. Being
> detachable is a must for clean up. Keep the motor unit away from the
> water. I love this. Came in a nice storage case so all the pieces are
> kept together.
>
> Current price is $29.99 and the sale as I type is only $26.99, but as
> Christmas approaches, the better sales will hit.
>
> http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/kitc...hen/hamiltonbe
> ach/PRD~337717/Hamilton+Beach+Hand+Blender.jsp
>
> The page doesn't show the carry case, but the rest of the unit and
> attachments. However, if you click on More Views, a pic of the case is
> there.
>
> jt

Thanks

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> I need a new one. I don't want to spend more than $50 for something I
> don't use that often. I've looked at a few brands, but I'd like some
> recommendations from the folks here.

> Janet

I love my Brauns. (Yes, plural. Don't ask.)

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> I need a new one. I don't want to spend more than $50 for something I
>> don't use that often. I've looked at a few brands, but I'd like some
>> recommendations from the folks here.

>> Janet

> I love my Brauns. (Yes, plural. Don't ask.)

I could not find a Braun. Looked all over the internet and when you get
to the part where you put it in the shopping basket, they tell you that
it's not for sale any more.

I checked a couple of thrift shops. No luck.

Yesterday I was in Bed Bath and Beyond and they had a Cuisineart with a
cup for under $30. It is a 200 Watt motor with removable stick and a 3
year "limited" warranty. I've had excellent luck with everything I've
ever bought from Cuisineart so I got it.

If it doesn't live up to its hype, their headquarters is right near my
son's house and I'll have him bring it in and give them a what-for from
his mom. :-)

Seriously, I don't anticipate any problems with it. It isn't one of the
high-use appliances in my kitchen, but I do need it.