Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default OK, what about mandolines?

NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
time!)

Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.

Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
mandoline before.

Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
come back home and ask here first What say y'all??

Sky . . . . .
. . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
onions at a time!!!

P.S. I've always been very happy with the many Cuisinart products I
have.

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 2009-08-30, Sky > wrote:

> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> 'behringer' (sp?).....

The Benriner slicer, made in Japan, is very good and probably the best
of the under $100 group. Well made with a quality easy to sharpen
blade. It's only drawback is its maximum thichness setting of 3/8".
If that's not a problem, I'd go with the Benriner.

nb
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Sky wrote:
> NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
> time!)
>
> Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
> comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
>
> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely.

instructions. If it looks sturdy, even if it's plastic, that
doesn't seem like a bad price, but I'd Google to see what the actual
selling price is.

I bought a Benriner a few years ago at HMart, a largely Korean
supermarket that carries foods and equipment from allover the
Pacific Rim. It doesn't have lots of bells and whistles but is very
functional and cost $19, IIRC. It works much better than the plastic
slider thing I got at the Massachusetts State Fair in ~1968. ;-)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Sky > wrote in on
Aug Sun 2009 pm

> NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
> time!)
>
> Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
> comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
>
> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
> mandoline before.
>
> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> come back home and ask here first What say y'all??
>
> Sky . . . . .
> . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
> onions at a time!!!
>
> P.S. I've always been very happy with the many Cuisinart products I
> have.

http://www.creativecookware.com/stai...htm?gclid=CPC-
mNqRzJwCFQ7xDAodjWayJw

or

http://tinyurl.com/llgrou

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Alan

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
lid says...
> Sky > wrote in on
> Aug Sun 2009 pm
>
> > NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
> > time!)
> >
> > Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> > mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
> > comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
> >
> > Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> > is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> > US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> > not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> > all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> > 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> > purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
> > mandoline before.
> >
> > Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> > come back home and ask here first What say y'all??
> >
> > Sky . . . . .
> > . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
> > onions at a time!!!
> >
> > P.S. I've always been very happy with the many Cuisinart products I
> > have.

http://www.creativecookware.com/stai...htm?gclid=CPC-
> mNqRzJwCFQ7xDAodjWayJw
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/llgrou

The reviews on Amazon.com are generally terrible.
--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sky" > wrote in message
> NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
> time!)
>
> Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
> comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
>
> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
> mandoline before.
>
> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> come back home and ask here first What say y'all??
>
> Sky . . . . .
> . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
> onions at a time!!!

I doubt many use a mandoline for onions. Now if that mandoline could peel
onions, then I'd say yes! For home use most of the labor and time is
spent prepping the veggies for the machine. So if you peel I'll slice with
my trusty chefs knife... but I doubt you can keep up.

If anyone is considering a mandoline because they want to save time I can
guarantee they will slice themselves from being in a hurry. For the
quantity of onions you slice at home you don't need a mandoline, or any
machine... and larger onions are much quicker because it takes the same time
to peel one large onion as one small onion, but when chopping and slicing
that large onion you would have had to chop and slice four small onions to
keep even, so it would take you four times longer and four times the effort
just to peel. And if slicing onions with a chefs knife makes you teary eyed
slicing onions with a mandoline will put you totally out of commission.
There is also more waste with a lot of small onions, by about 2/3. When I
buy onions I look for a bag with a variety of sizes... I don't save cut
onions so when all I need is a small amount I like to use a small onion... I
save the large onions for when I need a larger quantity, I choose the onion
size to meet the amount of onion I need. Some weeks when I feel I'll be in
the mood for only a small amount of onion like in sandwiches, tomato salad,
a bowl of soup, etc. I buy a bunch of scallions.,. one scallion is just
right for one can of tuna or a bowl of chili, or any one serving. I don't
own a mandoline, I'd never consider it.. even if someone gave me a top of
the line mandoline for free I'd give it away or dump it in the trash...
years ago I dumped an expensive top of the line Cousinart food processor in
the trash. I used it once in like five years and thought it totally
useless, no one I asked the day I was packing to move wanted it so into the
trash bin.

Take your mandoline money and put it towards a nice meat grinder... ya know,
if you're grinding meat for chili, meat loaf, meat sauce, even potatos for
latkas you can use the meat grinder to chop the onions, and any other
veggies... you may never chop parsley again, and you won't waste any because
you can grind in the stems too, and yoose all know how when you try to mince
parsley stems how those bits fly all over. A meat grinder makes perfect
grated carrots too. And you'll never buy bread/cracker crumbs again, no
more mystery crumbs.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> come back home and ask here first What say y'all??

Should've bought it when you had the chance and return it if you get
three thumbs down here. It'll prolly be gone if you go back. "-) (I
want to see what folks say about it, too.)
Ever helpfully yours,
-B
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Sky > wrote in
:

> NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget
> this time!)
>
> Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty
> little mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again
> for all the comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not
> for my kitchen.
>
> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday
> Morning (!!!that is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a
> Cuisinart mandoline for US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this
> a good price for the 'brand' or not? I noticed the photo on
> the package showed what looked like all-metal construction,
> but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the 'behringer'
> (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used
> any mandoline before.
>
> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I
> figured I'd come back home and ask here first What say
> y'all??
>
> Sky . . . . .
> . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4
> and 5 large
> onions at a time!!!
>
> P.S. I've always been very happy with the many Cuisinart
> products I have.

Wow. Expensive in my cornor of the world.
Is there a pic of your (tempting)
Cuisinart mandoline $38

I do like/love my Behringer. Much cheaper.
Do you have any local oriental stores in your area?
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

sandi wrote:

> Sky > wrote in
> :
>
> > NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget
> > this time!)
> >
> > Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty
> > little mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again
> > for all the comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not
> > for my kitchen.
> >
> > Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday
> > Morning (!!!that is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a
> > Cuisinart mandoline for US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this
> > a good price for the 'brand' or not? I noticed the photo on
> > the package showed what looked like all-metal construction,
> > but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the 'behringer'
> > (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> > purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used
> > any mandoline before.
> >
> > Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I
> > figured I'd come back home and ask here first What say
> > y'all??
> >
> > Sky . . . . .
> > . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4
> > and 5 large
> > onions at a time!!!
> >
> > P.S. I've always been very happy with the many Cuisinart
> > products I have.

> Wow. Expensive in my cornor of the world.
> Is there a pic of your (tempting)
> Cuisinart mandoline $38
>
> I do like/love my Behringer. Much cheaper.
> Do you have any local oriental stores in your area?

!!! I will head to one or two of the local Asian stores. Perhaps I can
find a Behringer mandoline there

Sky, who's keeping the options open at the moment

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sky" ha scritto nel messaggio

> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
> mandoline before.
>
> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> come back home and ask here first What say y'all??
>
> Sky . . . . .

Decide what things you will do with a mandoline and buy one that does those
things. If the fixed blade is screwed in so it can be removed for
sharpening occasionally, that's a plus. If the removable blades are
available separately for not too much money, that's a plus.

The Benriner is a decent mandolin and makes thread thin julienne, too.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sky" > wrote in message
> NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
> time!)
>
> Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
> comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
>
> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
> mandoline before.
>
> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> come back home and ask here first What say y'all??
>
> Sky . . . . .
> . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
> onions at a time!!!

I didn't know Cuisinart made one. We've been very happy with this <$40 OXO
mandoline. We bought it based on Cook's Illustrated's recommendation. They
liked this V blade model better than any of the others, including a much
more pricey Oxo.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...82o483mxv p_e

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Aug 30, 2:02*pm, Sky > wrote:
> NOTE: *followups set to "rec.food.equipment" *(I didn't forget this
> time!)
>
> Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) *Thanks again for all the
> comments, folks. *I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
>
> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> US$38, intead of nearly $80. *Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> not? *I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. *Or perhaps the
> 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> purchase for the money? *I have no clue since I've never used any
> mandoline before.
>
> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> come back home and ask here first *What say y'all??
>
> Sky . . . . .
> * * . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
> onions at a time!!!
>
> P.S. *I've always been very happy with the many Cuisinart products I
> have.
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

I've seen at least two mandoline "ratings" that favored the OXO at $60
higher than Cuisinart or Bereinger for safety, relative value & ease
of use. I covet one.
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sky" > wrote in message
> NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
> time!)
>
> Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
> comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
>
> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
> mandoline before.
>
> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> come back home and ask here first What say y'all??
>
> Sky . . . . .
> . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
> onions at a time!!!

I've been pretty happy with my Cuisinart products as well, but usually
research them for reviews on the web first. This product (if it is the same
model shown here) doesn't seem to make the grade.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-8950...1743741&sr=8-1

or

http://tinyurl.com/m9lbry

I was given a plastic mandoline as a gift by my wife who picked it up at a
'Pampered Chef' party a friend was hosting. It does a decent job and has
enough blades to handle most things. I use it 6 or 7 times a year, enough to
keep it out of the basement 'extended kitchen storage' box.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Zeppo wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote in message
> > NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
> > time!)
> >
> > Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> > mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
> > comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
> >
> > Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> > is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> > US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> > not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> > all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> > 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> > purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
> > mandoline before.
> >
> > Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> > come back home and ask here first What say y'all??
> >
> > Sky . . . . .
> > . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
> > onions at a time!!!

> I've been pretty happy with my Cuisinart products as well, but usually
> research them for reviews on the web first. This product (if it is the same
> model shown here) doesn't seem to make the grade.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-8950...1743741&sr=8-1
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/m9lbry
>
> I was given a plastic mandoline as a gift by my wife who picked it up at a
> 'Pampered Chef' party a friend was hosting. It does a decent job and has
> enough blades to handle most things. I use it 6 or 7 times a year, enough to
> keep it out of the basement 'extended kitchen storage' box.
>
> Jon

Yes, I think that's the very one I saw at Tuesday Morning. Now I'm so
glad I didn't buy it, particularly after your remark about the 'grade'
it didn't make <g>. I've posted a followup to my original post

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Folllowup - was: OK, what about mandolines?

NOTE: Followups set to "rec.food.equipment"

OK - now for the conclusion First of all, many thanks to everyone
for the useful comments about mandolines & veggie peelers, etc. The
'feedback' was most appreciated.

I am 'so very' glad that I did not buy that Cuisinart mandoline
yesterday from Tuesday Morning for US$38. The suggestions by quite a
few RFC/RFE folks to check the Asian markets was right on the 'money'
and save me some!!!! Again, thanks so much!

This afternoon, I went to one of the (larger) local Asian markets in my
area, and lo' and behold - they had the Benriner Japanese "Mandolin"
(that's the spelling on the box!!!!) for $20, not including sales tax.
Because I so rarely visit any Asian market, I felt like a kid in the
candy store <G>!! Alas, my time was short, so I didn't spend as much
time there to explore as I wanted.

Since I have never used a mandoline, I just had to 'test' it with an
onion as soon as I returned home <g>. WOW and more WOWS!!!! ) Talk
about "sweet" and then some, and I don't mean the onions either!!! I've
never sliced an onion so quickly - heheheh ;D Even Spouse was amazed,
but Spouse doesn't really know how to "cook" - hehehe (Hamburger Helper
& such just doesn't count <G>). However, I will be very cautious and
use that finger-guard! I can definitely see how easily a person can
accidentally slice-off a good hunk of "fimners"(*) if they are not
careful with their 'digits'!!

Sky, who's a happy camper in her kitchen!!!

P.S. Carmelized onions will soon be in the works (again)!

Sky wrote:

> NOTE: followups set to "rec.food.equipment" (I didn't forget this
> time!)
>
> Well, so much for that "improved" veggie peeler with its nifty little
> mandoline attachment (as seen on TV!) Thanks again for all the
> comments, folks. I decided this 'product' was not for my kitchen.
>
> Earlier today when I perused through the aisles Tuesday Morning (!!!that
> is one dangerous store!!!! <G>), I noticed a Cuisinart mandoline for
> US$38, intead of nearly $80. Is this a good price for the 'brand' or
> not? I noticed the photo on the package showed what looked like
> all-metal construction, but I didn't look too closely. Or perhaps the
> 'behringer' (sp?) sort Blake and others mentioned might be a better
> purchase for the money? I have no clue since I've never used any
> mandoline before.
>
> Instead of making an 'impulse' buy at that very moment, I figured I'd
> come back home and ask here first What say y'all??
>
> Sky . . . . .
> . . . . . who's rather tired of hand-slicing/chopping 4 and 5 large
> onions at a time!!!
>
> P.S. I've always been very happy with the many Cuisinart products I
> have.
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
says...
> the line mandoline for free I'd give it away or dump it in the trash...
> years ago I dumped an expensive top of the line Cousinart food processor in
> the trash. I used it once in like five years and thought it totally
> useless, no one I asked the day I was packing to move wanted it so into the
> trash bin.
>
> Take your mandoline money and put it towards a nice meat grinder... ya know,
> if you're grinding meat for chili, meat loaf, meat sauce, even potatos for
> latkas you can use the meat grinder to chop the onions, and any other
> veggies... you may never chop parsley again, and you won't waste any because
> you can grind in the stems too, and yoose all know how when you try to mince
> parsley stems how those bits fly all over. A meat grinder makes perfect
> grated carrots too. And you'll never buy bread/cracker crumbs again, no
> more mystery crumbs.

I don't quite agree with your dislike of mandolines. I have Benriner and
find that it is useful for very thin slicing, such as for potato chips.
I don't find the julienne blades very useful.

I am intrigued about your meat grinder suggestions. I have a nice
grinder attachment for my Kenwood mixer. For doing carrots, parsley,
crumbs, etc. do you suggest a fine or coarse grinding plate?

Thanks.

--
Jerry Bank
Trenton, New Jersey
Music is the language of the gods.

OK, what about mandolines? Sky General Cooking 1 31-08-2009 11:27 PM
mandolines inky dink Cooking Equipment 5 25-04-2008 05:58 PM
Mandolines / MIU anon General Cooking 9 08-03-2007 11:26 PM
Benriner Mandolines ian Asian Cooking 0 28-02-2005 03:29 AM
Benriner Mandolines ian Asian Cooking 0 28-02-2005 03:29 AM