Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default An 'improved' veggie peeler???

X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'

DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
peeler is worthwhile or not!

Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
"titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
might be interested. Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
site. However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!

I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
convincing, hunh!). Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. But
that'd be an advantage, perhaps? I usually cook just-for-one. And,
since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D It's that mandoline attachment
that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.

Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
30+++++........ years ago =

Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
> another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> 30+++++........ years ago =

I saw that infomercercial, too. I wasn't impressed. The julienne
attachments prolly don't work as easily as they appear. I'm thinking
they have to be held just so to work right. On TV, the hand using it
could have been take 37 or 53 (they can do that on TV, you know). And
the angle for holding, I have a "potato peeler" that you pull the same
way. Never use it, prefer the sideways motion and ergonomic feel of my
"carrot peeler" I got as a wedding gift. See one like it he

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...KL._SS500_.jpg

The brand I have is different, but mine looks a lot like this one.

It took me all of 5 seconds to decide No.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
>

> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> peeler is worthwhile or not!
>
> Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> might be interested. Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> site. However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!
>
> I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
> this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
> convincing, hunh!). Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
> rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. But
> that'd be an advantage, perhaps? I usually cook just-for-one. And,
> since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
> over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D It's that mandoline attachment
> that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.
>
> Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
> another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> 30+++++........ years ago =
>
> Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

I had a julienne peeler thingy once. For about two days and then I
offloaded it. Bogus. I want the mini mandoline!!! LOL! Get it,
Sky. Get it. Then let me know how you like it.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check it out
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
>

> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> peeler is worthwhile or not!
>
> Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> might be interested. Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> site. However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!
>
> I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
> this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
> convincing, hunh!). Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
> rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. But
> that'd be an advantage, perhaps? I usually cook just-for-one. And,
> since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
> over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D It's that mandoline attachment
> that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.
>
> Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
> another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> 30+++++........ years ago =
>
> Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

Forget that titan, you'll be wasting your money... if you really need a
mandoline, for the price of that titan plus the shipping you can buy a
pretty decent mandoline.

Since 1941 this has been the best peeler on the planet... be sure to get the
one with the *tempered steel blade*... peelers with stainless steel blades
suck. http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...pc=70950000306

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 9:12*pm, "brooklyn1" > wrote:

> Since 1941 this has been the best peeler on the planet... be sure to get the
> one with the *tempered steel blade*... peelers with stainless steel blades
> suck. *http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...pc=70950000306

Agree.

The OXO version with the fat handle ain't a bad one either.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Aug 21, 9:12 pm, "brooklyn1" > wrote:

> Since 1941 this has been the best peeler on the planet... be sure to get
> the
> one with the *tempered steel blade*... peelers with stainless steel blades
> suck. http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...pc=70950000306

Agree.

The OXO version with the fat handle ain't a bad one either.

yep. There must be some knock offs of the Ekco, no? I've had a couple just
fall apart on me, so I figure they were not the real deal.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
>

> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> peeler is worthwhile or not!
>
> Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> might be interested. Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> site. However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!
>
> I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
> this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
> convincing, hunh!). Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
> rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. But
> that'd be an advantage, perhaps? I usually cook just-for-one. And,
> since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
> over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D It's that mandoline attachment
> that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.
>
> Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
> another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> 30+++++........ years ago =
>
> Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Don't really think it's worth the money, Sky. I received the peelers for a
Father's Day gift, purchased in a brick & mortar store and didn't include
the mandoline (that's an online bonus, I guess). I tried the regular
peeler; it was sharp, but seemed to "drag" on the "experimental" potato. I
like this model much, much better:

http://kuhnrikon.com/products/tools/tools.php3?id=36

Followed by the old favorite, Ecko.

As far as the mandoline, the cutting blade on the peeler is less than 2"
wide. It may be good for carrots and thinner cukes and zukes, but not much
more. 'Taters, 'maters, onions would be too large to work.

jm2c. ymmv.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Sky" ha scritto nel messaggio

> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this>
> peeler is worthwhile or not!

> this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be>
> convincing, hunh!). Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment>
> rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side.

Here I am commenting on something I have never even seen. No US TV ads here
at all. But I do have 3 mandolins and lots of peelers!

If you don't have a mandolin, buy one. It's something that once used to it
you can use everyday. I am currently working on an article about choosing
and buying a mandolin, AAMOF.

As I said, I have 3. One is very expensive French and all stainless, one is
German, moderately priced, stainless but the main blade doesn't come out for
sharpening, and the third is the Japanese Benriner. I use the Benriner
everyday! I have even bought replacement blades for it over time. It's the
cheapest, it's all plastic but the blades, and it doesn't do everything the
others do, but it does the things that I want to do most often and it is
easy to clean, dry and re-use. I use a tiny ceramic "steel" on the fixed
blade most times that I use it. Keeping it very sharp is important for
safety so that you aren't pushing hard and running a finger into the blade.
Julienned fingers hurt.

The peelers I have for my business you can buy at Sur la Table for $6.95. I
was given one and when I was recently in the US I bought 2 more. It is
really sharp, has a fat black handle that says Messermeister and I believe
it is German. In all my years of cooking I have never before found a peeler
worth seeking out until this one.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote about mandolins:

> Keeping it very sharp is important for safety so that you aren't pushing
> hard and running a finger into the blade. Julienned fingers hurt.

I bought a Kevlar glove to protect my hands while shucking oysters, but it's
also good to keep me from lopping off the tips of my fingers while using the
mandoline.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" scritto nel messaggio
> Giusi wrote about mandolins:
>
>> Keeping it very sharp is important for safety so that you aren't pushing
>> hard and running a finger into the blade. Julienned fingers hurt.

> I bought a Kevlar glove to protect my hands while shucking oysters, but
> it's > also good to keep me from lopping off the tips of my fingers while
> using the mandoline.> Bob

I don't feel confident about keeping it sterile, and I also feel clumsy in
gloves more substantial than pure latex. I once cut the end of my thumb off
(it was sewed back and it took) when getting too free-spirited while slicing
apples for pie with a mandolin. I work a tad slower now and use the pusher
when approaching the end. I still damage my nails sometimes, but last time
it was with a knife.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Aug 21, 9:12 pm, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
>
>> Since 1941 this has been the best peeler on the planet... be sure to get the
>> one with the *tempered steel blade*... peelers with stainless steel blades
>> suck. http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...pc=70950000306

> Agree.
>
> The OXO version with the fat handle ain't a bad one either.

I just threw out one of those, it got dull after a couple of years and
would no longer peel properly. I guess I got my moneys worth though.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in

> As I said, I have 3. One is very expensive French and all
> stainless, one is German, moderately priced, stainless but the
> main blade doesn't come out for sharpening, and the third is
> the Japanese Benriner. I use the Benriner everyday! I have
> even bought replacement blades for it over time. It's the
> cheapest, it's all plastic but the blades, and it doesn't do
> everything the others do, but it does the things that I want
> to do most often and it is easy to clean, dry and re-use.

I have 2 of these and like them as well.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 01:12:26 GMT, "brooklyn1" > wrote:

>.... be sure to get the one with the *tempered steel blade*...
>peelers with stainless steel blades suck....

That blade is stainless. All commercial stainless cutlery blades are tempered,
as are razor blades, etc.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:32:56 -0500, Sky wrote:

> X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
>
> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> peeler is worthwhile or not!
>
> Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> might be interested. Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> site. However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!
>
> I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
> this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
> convincing, hunh!). Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
> rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. But
> that'd be an advantage, perhaps? I usually cook just-for-one. And,
> since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
> over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D It's that mandoline attachment
> that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.
>
> Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
> another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> 30+++++........ years ago =
>
> Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

i've seen the ad, and like all t.v. ads it looks pretty good, but the
mandoline looks a little flimsy. you might do better with the benriner
some have mentioned:

<http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=14703&src=NexTag&cam=Products&kw=1 4703>

i have a similar product, the multi wonder, which sits over a little box
that collects the slices:

<http://www.rollingpin.com/index.asp?display=dept&dept=19&subdept=Multi+Wonde r>

you could probably find them (or something similar) at an asian market for
not too many bucks.

if you feel the need for a new peeler, get an ekco for even fewer bucks.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Giusi > wrote:

>"Sky" ha scritto nel messaggio
>
>> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this>
>> peeler is worthwhile or not!

>> this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be>
>> convincing, hunh!). Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment>
>> rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side.

>Here I am commenting on something I have never even seen. No US TV ads here
>at all. But I do have 3 mandolins and lots of peelers!
>
>If you don't have a mandolin, buy one. It's something that once used to it
>you can use everyday. I am currently working on an article about choosing
>and buying a mandolin, AAMOF.
>
>As I said, I have 3. One is very expensive French and all stainless, one is
>German, moderately priced, stainless but the main blade doesn't come out for
>sharpening, and the third is the Japanese Benriner. I use the Benriner
>everyday! I have even bought replacement blades for it over time. It's the
>cheapest, it's all plastic but the blades, and it doesn't do everything the
>others do, but it does the things that I want to do most often and it is
>easy to clean, dry and re-use. I use a tiny ceramic "steel" on the fixed
>blade most times that I use it. Keeping it very sharp is important for
>safety so that you aren't pushing hard and running a finger into the blade.
>Julienned fingers hurt.
>
>The peelers I have for my business you can buy at Sur la Table for $6.95. I
>was given one and when I was recently in the US I bought 2 more. It is
>really sharp, has a fat black handle that says Messermeister and I believe
>it is German. In all my years of cooking I have never before found a peeler
>worth seeking out until this one.

I will also heartily endorse the Messermeister peeler for
potatoes-and-such. It works like a dream. I bought a quantity of them
for the soup kitchen because we occasionally have need to peel 50 lb sacks
of potatoes and it's useful to have the right tool for the job. I also
gave them to my mother and SIL in their Christmas stockings. (I will also
now volunteer to peel the potatoes.)

I look forward to your article on mandolines!

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
>

> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> peeler is worthwhile or not!
>
> Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> might be interested. Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> site. However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!
>
> I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
> this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
> convincing, hunh!). Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
> rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. But
> that'd be an advantage, perhaps? I usually cook just-for-one. And,
> since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
> over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D It's that mandoline attachment
> that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.
>
> Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
> another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> 30+++++........ years ago =
>
> Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

You can get them at Walmart now. I got one and tried it. It's super sharp
but I prefer the other style of peeler.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On 2009-08-22 12:13:06 -0400, blake murphy > said:

> i have a similar product, the multi wonder, which sits over a little box
> that collects the slices:
>
> <http://www.rollingpin.com/index.asp?display=dept&dept=19&subdept=Multi+Wonde r>

Be careful with citrus zest in this one - eats into the plastic.
No real harm, but unsightly.

HB

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
>

> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> peeler is worthwhile or not!
>
> Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> might be interested. Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> site. However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!
>
> I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
> this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
> convincing, hunh!). Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
> rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. But
> that'd be an advantage, perhaps? I usually cook just-for-one. And,
> since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
> over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D It's that mandoline attachment
> that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.
>
> Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
> another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> 30+++++........ years ago =
>
> Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

I bought one. Not from their web site, because the "free" unit was like
$14 extra for shipping and handling. I got a single one somewhere else
on the web, but can't remember where. Try "shopzilla" or one of those sites.

The mini mandoline works, though I found it quite awkward until I got
the hang of it. Now it sits in a drawer so so much for wonder-tools.

I use the Swiss Star peelers and love, love, love them and this Titan
thing is very similar and it does do a great job of peeling *if* you are
used to that "wishbone" kind of peeler.

Hope I've helped.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
> I will also heartily endorse the Messermeister peeler for
> potatoes-and-such. It works like a dream. I bought a quantity of them
> for the soup kitchen because we occasionally have need to peel 50 lb sacks
> of potatoes and it's useful to have the right tool for the job. I also
> gave them to my mother and SIL in their Christmas stockings. (I will also
> now volunteer to peel the potatoes.)
>
> I look forward to your article on mandolines!
>
> Charlotte

My Messermeister peeler is doing a wonderful job, after using it for a
few years.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> Charlotte L. Blackmer wrote:
>> I will also heartily endorse the Messermeister peeler for
>> potatoes-and-such. It works like a dream. I bought a quantity of them
>> for the soup kitchen because we occasionally have need to peel 50 lb
>> sacks of potatoes and it's useful to have the right tool for the job. I
>> also gave them to my mother and SIL in their Christmas stockings. (I
>> will also now volunteer to peel the potatoes.)
>>
>> I look forward to your article on mandolines!
>>
>> Charlotte

> My MisterLeppla peeler is doing a wonderful job, after using it for a few
> years.

You misspelled the name of your peeler so I corrected it for you.

George L

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 01:12:26 GMT, "brooklyn1" >
> wrote:
>
>>.... be sure to get the one with the *tempered steel blade*...
>>peelers with stainless steel blades suck....

> That blade is stainless. All commercial stainless cutlery blades are
> tempered,
> as are razor blades, etc.
>
> -- Larry

True, but all stainless steels are not created equal. They don't tell you
what the alloy is and other factors that differentiate the cheap crap from
the good ones.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009 14:28:41 -0400, Henry Bibb wrote:

> On 2009-08-22 12:13:06 -0400, blake murphy > said:
>

>> i have a similar product, the multi wonder, which sits over a little box
>> that collects the slices:
>>
>> <http://www.rollingpin.com/index.asp?display=dept&dept=19&subdept=Multi+Wonde r>

> Be careful with citrus zest in this one - eats into the plastic.
> No real harm, but unsightly.
>
> HB

i use mine mostly for cucumbers and onions. to be honest, i haven't tried
the julienne blade. the few times i've needed zest, the ekco worked fine.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote in message
> > X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
> >

> > DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> > peeler is worthwhile or not!
> >
> > Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> > "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> > might be interested. (snipperoonies
> >
> > Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
> > another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> > all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> > 30+++++........ years ago =
> >
> > Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

> Since 1941 this has been the best peeler on the planet... be sure to get the
> one with the *tempered steel blade*... peelers with stainless steel blades
> suck. http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...pc=70950000306

That's the type/brand of peeler I already have - and three at that

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Sky wrote:

> X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
>
> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> peeler is worthwhile or not!
>
> Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> might be interested. Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> site. However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!

(snipped)

Thanks for all the comments & links, folks. I'll buy a separate
mandoline instead. I already have 3 of those Ecko peelers. But, that
little mandoline attachment for the 'titan' does look rather 'tempting'
:> I often slice a lot of onions, so I'll keep my eyes open for a nice,
inexpensive mandoline, like the Benriner. Thanks again.

Sky, who forgot to set the 'followups' in the first place (sowwy!)

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:21:50 -0500, Sky wrote:

> brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> "Sky" > wrote in message
>>> X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
>>>

>>> DISCLAIMER!! I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
>>> peeler is worthwhile or not!
>>>
>>> Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
>>> "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
>>> might be interested. (snipperoonies
>>>
>>> Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. Do I really need
>>> another veggie peeler?? It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
>>> all <hehehehe>! And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
>>> 30+++++........ years ago =
>>>
>>> Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

>> Since 1941 this has been the best peeler on the planet... be sure to get the
>> one with the *tempered steel blade*... peelers with stainless steel blades
>> suck. http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...pc=70950000306

> That's the type/brand of peeler I already have - and three at that
>
> Sky

if you were peeling fifty pounds of potatoes you might want something
easier on the hand, but other than that they're hard to beat.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:21:50 -0500, Sky wrote:
>
>> brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Since 1941 this has been the best peeler on the planet... be sure
>>> to get the
>>> one with the *tempered steel blade*... peelers with stainless
>>> steel blades
>>> suck.
>>> http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...pc=70950000306

>> That's the type/brand of peeler I already have - and three at that
>>

>> Sky

> if you were peeling fifty pounds of potatoes you might want
> something
> easier on the hand, but other than that they're hard to beat.
>
> your pal,
> blake

If you were peeling 50 lb of potatoes you would want one of those
abrasive drum things we used in the mess hall at fort knox.

del

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 7:32*pm, Sky > wrote:
> X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'
>
> DISCLAIMER!! *I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> peeler is worthwhile or not!
>
> Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> might be interested. *Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> site. *However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!
>
> I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
> this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
> convincing, hunh!). *Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
> rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. * But
> that'd be an advantage, perhaps? *I usually cook just-for-one. *And,
> since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
> over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D *It's that mandoline attachment
> that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.
>
> Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. *Do I really need
> another veggie peeler?? *It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> all <hehehehe>! *And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> 30+++++........ years ago =
>
> Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

For me, the best peeler in the world is the V-shaped peeler that has a
blade across the wide part - I peel with a downward motion towards me
- very easy, no stress on the finger joints, very fast. My old metal
one disappeared, so I had to buy a new plastic one - it works just as
well.

I bought one thing a couple years ago from TV - never again. It took
about 6 weeks to get to me, by which time I didn't need it any more.

N.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 8:12*pm, "brooklyn1" > wrote:
> "Sky" > wrote in message

> > X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'

> > DISCLAIMER!! *I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> > peeler is worthwhile or not!

> > Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> > "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> > might be interested. *Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> > site. *However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!

> > I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
> > this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
> > convincing, hunh!). *Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
> > rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. * But
> > that'd be an advantage, perhaps? *I usually cook just-for-one. *And,
> > since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
> > over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D *It's that mandoline attachment
> > that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.

> > Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. *Do I really need
> > another veggie peeler?? *It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> > all <hehehehe>! *And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> > 30+++++........ years ago =

> > Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

> Forget that titan, you'll be wasting your money... if you really need a
> mandoline, for the price of that titan plus the shipping you can buy a
> pretty decent mandoline.
>
> Since 1941 this has been the best peeler on the planet... be sure to get the
> one with the *tempered steel blade*... peelers with stainless steel blades
> suck. *http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/inde...c=70950000306- Hide quoted text -

Everyone has their own favorite - mine is a V-shaped metal one. I've
never been able to feel as comfortable using one like you show - but I
think it all comes down to what you grew up using - my mom and
grandmother always used the V-shaped kind.

http://tinyurl.com/lwpu4r

N.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 25, 3:02*pm, "Del Cecchi" >
wrote:
> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

> >> That's the type/brand of peeler I already have - and three at that
> >>

> >> Sky

> > if you were peeling fifty pounds of potatoes you might want
> > something
> > easier on the hand, but other than that they're hard to beat.

> > your pal,
> > blake

> If you were peeling 50 lb of potatoes you would want one of those
> abrasive drum things we used in the mess hall at fort knox.
>
> del- Hide quoted text -

I also love my apple peeler - put the apple on it, turn the crank. It
does a super job and cost $20. You can also spiral cut potatoes with
it, although I've never done that.

N.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 21, 11:07*pm, "Paco" > wrote:
> "Sky" > wrote in message

> > X-posted with followups set to 'rec.food.equipment'

> > DISCLAIMER!! *I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this
> > peeler is worthwhile or not!

> > Has anyone else seen the recent (USA) "TV info/commercial" for the
> > "titan peeler" -- the 'dot com' is the same as its name if anyone who
> > might be interested. *Personally, I have not looked at the 'dot com'
> > site. *However, I've seen the commercial -- heh!

> > I cannot recall that I've ever purchased anything advertised on TV, but
> > this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be
> > convincing, hunh!). *Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment
> > rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side. * But
> > that'd be an advantage, perhaps? *I usually cook just-for-one. *And,
> > since it's compact, it'll clean and store easily in the already
> > over-stuffed kitchen gadgets' drawer ;D *It's that mandoline attachment
> > that might convince me to buy this product, perhaps.

> > Will someone please play 'devil's advocate' <G>. *Do I really need
> > another veggie peeler?? *It's not like I peel a lot of veggies, after
> > all <hehehehe>! *And I have three of those 'ancient' peelers from
> > 30+++++........ years ago =

> > Sky, who's doing enough arm-twisting on her own, eh???

> > --
> > Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> > Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

> Don't really think it's worth the money, Sky. *I received the peelers for a
> Father's Day gift, purchased in a brick & mortar store and didn't include
> the mandoline (that's an online bonus, I guess). *I tried the regular
> peeler; it was sharp, but seemed to "drag" on the "experimental" potato. *I
> like this model much, much better:
>
> http://kuhnrikon.com/products/tools/tools.php3?id=36
>
> Followed by the old favorite, Ecko.

Me 'n you, Paco - that's my very favoritest kind, too. I have a
couple of them.

N.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
KLS KLS is offline

On Tue, 25 Aug 2009 14:14:30 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>For me, the best peeler in the world is the V-shaped peeler that has a
>blade across the wide part - I peel with a downward motion towards me
>- very easy, no stress on the finger joints, very fast.

Sorry, but how can you peel with a downward motion toward you, unless
you're holding the potato over your head?
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

> Sorry, but how can you peel with a downward motion toward you, unless
> you're holding the potato over your head?

Huh?

I take one of those V peelers - hold the carrot or whatever in my left
hand, in front of my mid section over the sink, and peel away with my
right hand. My right hand goes down and slightly towards my right
side - what a goofy question - are you bored or something?

N.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

>> Sorry, but how can you peel with a downward motion toward you, unless
>> you're holding the potato over your head?

> Huh?
>
> I take one of those V peelers - hold the carrot or whatever in my left
> hand, in front of my mid section over the sink, and peel away with my
> right hand. My right hand goes down and slightly towards my right
> side - what a goofy question - are you bored or something?

You're more bored to have responded.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:26:55 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>> Sorry, but how can you peel with a downward motion toward you, unless
>> you're holding the potato over your head?

>Huh?
>
>I take one of those V peelers - hold the carrot or whatever in my left
>hand, in front of my mid section over the sink, and peel away with my
>right hand. My right hand goes down and slightly towards my right
>side - what a goofy question - are you bored or something?

No, the question was actually serious, and your explanation helps, but
your snottiness was unnecessary. I have never used one of those
peelers.

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 22, 3:20*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Sky" *ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > DISCLAIMER!! *I'm only a consumer who's interested to learn if this>
> > peeler is worthwhile or not!
> > this peeler does looks interesting (maybe??? marketing is can be>
> > convincing, hunh!). *Actually, I find its "mini" mandoline attachment>
> > rather interesting, even if it looks to be on the small side.

> Here I am commenting on something I have never even seen. *No US TV ads here
> at all. *But I do have 3 mandolins and lots of peelers!
>
> If you don't have a mandolin, buy one. *It's something that once used to it
> you can use everyday. *I am currently working on an article about choosing
> and buying a mandolin, AAMOF.
>
> As I said, I have 3. *One is very expensive French and all stainless, one is
> German, moderately priced, stainless but the main blade doesn't come out for
> sharpening, and the third is the Japanese Benriner. *I use the Benriner
> everyday! *I have even bought replacement blades for it over time. *It's the
> cheapest, it's all plastic but the blades, and it doesn't do everything the
> others do, but it does the things that I want to do most often and it is
> easy to clean, dry and re-use. *I use a tiny ceramic "steel" on the fixed
> blade most times that I use it. *Keeping it very sharp is important for
> safety so that you aren't pushing hard and running a finger into the blade.
> Julienned fingers hurt.
>
> The peelers I have for my business you can buy at Sur la Table for $6.95. *I
> was given one and when I was recently in the US I bought 2 more. *It is
> really sharp, has a fat black handle that says Messermeister and I believe
> it is German. *In all my years of cooking I have never before found a peeler
> worth seeking out until this one.

When it's published, please send us the link. I'd be interested, even
if I have to translate it on babelfish or the like.

maxine in ri