FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Mario's Lasagna pan (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/174616-marios-lasagna-pan.html)

Dee Dovey 16-07-2009 06:12 PM

Mario's Lasagna pan

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=636859

Praising again, Mario's lasagna pan. I bought this pan some months ago for
lasagna, and have used it a few times for lasagna.

Today I made a ziti recipe which is basically the ingredients of a lasagna
recipe.

I've eaten and made plenty of inadequate lasagnas [in my time ;-)). And, I
have plenty of pans that I've bought seeking a perfect lasagna pan; but this
pan IT!

Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 16-07-2009 06:37 PM

Mario's Lasagna pan

On Thu 16 Jul 2009 10:12:05a, Dee Dovey told us...

> http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=636859
>
> Praising again, Mario's lasagna pan. I bought this pan some months ago
> for lasagna, and have used it a few times for lasagna.
>
> Today I made a ziti recipe which is basically the ingredients of a
> lasagna recipe.
>
> I've eaten and made plenty of inadequate lasagnas [in my time ;-)). And,
> I have plenty of pans that I've bought seeking a perfect lasagna pan;
> but this pan IT!
>
> Dee Dee

I don't have this particular pan, but I would agree it is ideal. The depth
may be the most critical issue. I have a non-stick heavy aluminum pan of
similar dimensions.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sugar is a type of bodily fuel, yes, but your body runs about as

Dee Dovey 16-07-2009 06:50 PM

Mario's Lasagna pan

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Thu 16 Jul 2009 10:12:05a, Dee Dovey told us...
>
>> http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=636859
>>
>> Praising again, Mario's lasagna pan. I bought this pan some months ago
>> for lasagna, and have used it a few times for lasagna.
>>
>> Today I made a ziti recipe which is basically the ingredients of a
>> lasagna recipe.
>>
>> I've eaten and made plenty of inadequate lasagnas [in my time ;-)). And,
>> I have plenty of pans that I've bought seeking a perfect lasagna pan;
>> but this pan IT!
>>
>> Dee Dee

> I don't have this particular pan, but I would agree it is ideal. The
> depth
> may be the most critical issue. I have a non-stick heavy aluminum pan of
> similar dimensions.
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Dimensions can really be important. Another pan I was seeking out the ideal
dimension, I found that Mario's pan for that particular job was just the
right dimension.
And darn, I love the insides of these pans!
Thanks for your reply, Wayne.

92 degrees here and on my way to Physical Therapy now - 50 minutes driving
time.

Yesterday, DH was using the Thermopen thermometer to test the temperature of
the Lasagna, and being the guy that he is, after sticking it in the lasagna,
he shook it, shaking off the small amount of food that remained on the
thermometer onto wall. I laughed and showed him what he did, exaggerating,
of course, shaking my arm furiously; and the devil made me pay for this
little act. Ouch! Did my arm hurt. Yaow!

The kitchen is not a safe place.

Dee Dee

[email protected] 17-07-2009 12:20 AM

Mario's Lasagna pan

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:12:05 -0400, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:

>I've eaten and made plenty of inadequate lasagnas [in my time ;-)). And, I
>have plenty of pans that I've bought seeking a perfect lasagna pan; but this
>pan IT!

Glad you're happy with it!

I've yet to find a lasagne pan that's the right size for two people, but deep
enough for the four or five layers I prefer. Your ad says extra-deep, but it's
only three inches.

So I generally end up using an ordinary loaf pan. 8;( Still looking...

OTOH (and OT:), my Technivorm arrived yesterday and is working overtime already!
Sort of like a giant adult chemistry lab set-up. 8;)

-- Larry

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 17-07-2009 12:38 AM

Mario's Lasagna pan

On Thu 16 Jul 2009 10:50:22a, Dee Dovey told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...
>> On Thu 16 Jul 2009 10:12:05a, Dee Dovey told us...
>>
>>> http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=636859
>>>
>>> Praising again, Mario's lasagna pan. I bought this pan some months
>>> ago for lasagna, and have used it a few times for lasagna.
>>>
>>> Today I made a ziti recipe which is basically the ingredients of a
>>> lasagna recipe.
>>>
>>> I've eaten and made plenty of inadequate lasagnas [in my time ;-)).
>>> And, I have plenty of pans that I've bought seeking a perfect lasagna
>>> pan; but this pan IT!
>>>
>>> Dee Dee

>> I don't have this particular pan, but I would agree it is ideal. The
>> depth may be the most critical issue. I have a non-stick heavy
>> aluminum pan of similar dimensions.
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Dimensions can really be important. Another pan I was seeking out the
> ideal dimension, I found that Mario's pan for that particular job was
> just the right dimension.
> And darn, I love the insides of these pans!
> Thanks for your reply, Wayne.

I would assume the inside is similar to Le Creuset?

> 92 degrees here and on my way to Physical Therapy now - 50 minutes
> driving time.

I sympathize since you have higher humidity with that 92 degrees. We
haven't had a day since last week that was under 110 degrees, but our
humidity isn't nearly as high. My driving time to and from work varies
between 45-60 minutes each way, but I'm used to it.

> Yesterday, DH was using the Thermopen thermometer to test the
> temperature of the Lasagna, and being the guy that he is, after sticking
> it in the lasagna, he shook it, shaking off the small amount of food
> that remained on the thermometer onto wall. I laughed and showed him
> what he did, exaggerating, of course, shaking my arm furiously; and the
> devil made me pay for this little act. Ouch! Did my arm hurt. Yaow!

That had to be quite a "scene". :-) Sorry you hurt yourself in the
process. David has habit in the kitchen that I cannot break. Whenever he
washes his hands at the sink, he will/does not reach for either the hand
towel or paper towels which are easily within reach. Instead, he flings
and flicks the water off his hands. This drives me nuts, especially since
there are so many things in the surrounding area that get hit. It's only
water, yes, but it makes spots.

> The kitchen is not a safe place.

Unless you have a gun collection stored elsewhere, the kitchen probably
contains the largest number of potentially lethal weapons you own.

Wayne

--
Wayne Boatwright
I eat merely to put food out of my mind. N.F. Simpson

Bert Hyman 17-07-2009 01:01 AM

Mario's Lasagna pan

In "Dee Dovey"

http://explorepahistory.com/images/E...h2y9-a_349.jpg

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Dee Dovey 17-07-2009 01:24 AM

Mario's Lasagna pan

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:12:05 -0400, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>
>>I've eaten and made plenty of inadequate lasagnas [in my time ;-)). And, I
>>have plenty of pans that I've bought seeking a perfect lasagna pan; but
>>this
>>pan IT!

> Glad you're happy with it!
>
> I've yet to find a lasagne pan that's the right size for two people, but
> deep
> enough for the four or five layers I prefer. Your ad says extra-deep, but
> it's
> only three inches.
>
> So I generally end up using an ordinary loaf pan. 8;( Still looking...

I just measured my pan and it is 3" to the lip, but there is a very small
lip on it, maybe a quarter to 3/8".
This pan will hold 20 pieces of cooked lasagna (I think 20 pieces in a
pound). I usually put three pieces longwise and cut 1-1/2 pieces into 3
pieces and put them across. So, each layer has 4-1/2 slices for each layer.
Using it this way, it will easily give 4 layers. Generally, I use a tomato
sauce, mozzarella, ricotta, sometimes olives (not canned), separately
prepared Italian sausage, and grated parmesan reg or grana padano always on
top. I could have missed something :-))

> OTOH (and OT:), my Technivorm arrived yesterday and is working overtime
> already!
> Sort of like a giant adult chemistry lab set-up. 8;)
>
> -- Larry

Gee, I've never heard of this. I know you post occasionally on alt.coffee
and I've not seen any mention of it; perhaps I've just not seen it. But
wading thru the 2 or 3 egoists' postings there, it's hard to want to read
anything anymore.

I started to research Technivorm, but can see there more here than just a
casual bit of reading.

I've been drinking coffee from a french press which I don't care much
about - as DH has not had time to clean the espresso machine. Tomorrow
might be the day. We've been thinking about a separate coffee maker, but
haven't got too far doing our research. Thanks for the mention of it.

Dee Dee

Mr. Bill[_2_] 17-07-2009 01:33 AM

Mario's Lasagna pan

>>>I've eaten and made plenty of inadequate lasagnas [in my time ;-))

The PAN had nothing to do with the quality of the recipe. Use
better ingredients.

[email protected] 17-07-2009 05:30 AM

Mario's Lasagna pan

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 19:40:10 -0400, Susan > wrote:
>> OTOH (and OT:), my Technivorm arrived yesterday and is working overtime already!
>> Sort of like a giant adult chemistry lab set-up. 8;)

>I LOVE mine. Perfect temperature, easy to clean. Wish the plastics
>weren't so cheapie, but it does the job better than any drip pot I've had.
>
>Enjoy yours!

Thank you, I shall. I went for the Mochamaster CD Thermal from Storehouse
Coffee. Nice guy, and excellent coffee to boot, judging from the pound that came
with the machine.

Which model do you have?

-- Larry

[email protected] 17-07-2009 05:43 AM

Technivorm, was Mario's Lasagna pan

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:24:25 -0400, "Dee Dovey" > wrote:

>> OTOH (and OT:), my Technivorm arrived yesterday and is working overtime
>> already!

>Gee, I've never heard of this. I know you post occasionally on alt.coffee
>and I've not seen any mention of it; perhaps I've just not seen it. But
>wading thru the 2 or 3 egoists' postings there, it's hard to want to read
>anything anymore.

Sadly agreed.

>I started to research Technivorm, but can see there more here than just a
>casual bit of reading.

I've had a number of Braun and Krups machines over the years. They've always
done best in Consumer Reports and other water temperature tests. But the
Technivorm does even better in that regard.

It's really a very simple machine -- as Susan said, comes apart quite easily for
cleaning, etc. The key point besides the higher and consistent brewing
temperature and the build quality is that you have access to and manual control
over the brewing funnel. There's a valve to stop the water flow, so you can
allow the funnel to fill with water, stir if you like, and hold for up to a
minute or so to encourage full extraction. Then just open the valve to half-way
or full, and let it finish flowing into the thermal carafe. That's really all
there is to play with.

Of course,I have, as always, run into Larson's Law of Inconvenience: No matter
how much you research and how much you spend, any small appliances you buy will
always have a switch layout and/or power cord routing that is the opposite of
what you'd like for your countertop arrangement.

-- Larry (sigh...)

Dee Dovey 17-07-2009 03:13 PM

Technivorm, was Mario's Lasagna pan

> wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:24:25 -0400, "Dee Dovey" >
> wrote:
>
>>> OTOH (and OT:), my Technivorm arrived yesterday and is working overtime
>>> already!

>>Gee, I've never heard of this. I know you post occasionally on alt.coffee
>>and I've not seen any mention of it; perhaps I've just not seen it. But
>>wading thru the 2 or 3 egoists' postings there, it's hard to want to read
>>anything anymore.

> Sadly agreed.
>
>>I started to research Technivorm, but can see there more here than just a
>>casual bit of reading.

> I've had a number of Braun and Krups machines over the years. They've
> always
> done best in Consumer Reports and other water temperature tests. But the
> Technivorm does even better in that regard.
>
> It's really a very simple machine -- as Susan said, comes apart quite
> easily for
> cleaning, etc. The key point besides the higher and consistent brewing
> temperature and the build quality is that you have access to and manual
> control
> over the brewing funnel. There's a valve to stop the water flow, so you
> can
> allow the funnel to fill with water, stir if you like, and hold for up to
> minute or so to encourage full extraction. Then just open the valve to
> half-way
> or full, and let it finish flowing into the thermal carafe. That's really
> all
> there is to play with.
>
> Of course,I have, as always, run into Larson's Law of Inconvenience: No
> matter
> how much you research and how much you spend, any small appliances you buy
> will
> always have a switch layout and/or power cord routing that is the opposite
> of
> what you'd like for your countertop arrangement.
>
> -- Larry (sigh...)

Thanks for information. 2 days of french press coffee here is not my idea
of good coffee. DH is finally cleaning the espresso machine this morning.

I just posted a probably-irrelevant question to alt.coffee, wondering about
the temperature of my grouphead if I peeled it off. DH has not put on the
PID because of supposedly waiting for an answer, so I am out-of-sorts about
all of this. :-)))

Life is good when this is uppermost in one's thoughts on an early morning.

Dee Dee

[email protected] 17-07-2009 10:52 PM

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:31:04 -0400, Susan > wrote:

>I just wish it had a shut off feature. I've gotten in the habit of
>turning it off as soon as the tank is empty, but it could be dangerous
>and I think it's a really unfortunate oversight.

Agreed. It is a bit odd that their rudimentary manual doesn't include a word
about any dangers in forgetting to turn it off.

I suppose I could experiment, and leave it on for a couple of hours... they
could have some protective circuitry built in, but I haven't found a schematic
anywhere on-line.

-- Larry