Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default HELP: Pitcher-style water filtration?

Not seeking a brand, just a few questions.

When it's done filtering, do you pull off the top filtration apparatus and
refrigerate the pitcher?

What maintenance/care is required when not in use? Bacteria prevention
treatment?

Is filtering a few pitchers at a time into a separate pitcher a better
practice?

How long a process is realistically? I don't want to babysit the water
filter all day long.

What's an average pitcher capacity? I've seen "up to" 1/3 gallon by Brita.

I imagine the filters do the job as advertised. Is it actually more cost
effective than gallon jug cost?

I'm tired of paying $1.79 a gallon at the supermarket is why I ask.That and
it's a "green" step in the right direction.

Any thoughts?

Andy
--
"But Manny, Ellie's fun and you're no fun! She completes you!
--Sid the Sloth, "Ice Age: The Meltdown"
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Pitcher-style water filtration?

"Andy" > wrote in message

> I'm tired of paying $1.79 a gallon at the supermarket is why I ask.That
> and
> it's a "green" step in the right direction.
>
> Any thoughts?

If you own the house, put a filter in the kitchen cold water line. You may
also want to consider one of the ones that attaches to the spout.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Andy wrote:

> Any thoughts?

Do you have a reason to believe that you need to filter your water?

Matthew

--
"You give me a waterboard, Dick Cheney and one hour, and I'll have him
confess to the Sharon Tate murders." -- Jesse Ventura
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:23:44 -0400, Susan
> wrote:

>A lot of bottled spring waters taste great (Poland Spring) but aren't
>any more pure on analysis, certainly.
>
>Susan

Hi Susan,

Might you point me to a source for your comment above about
Poland Spring water?

Many thanks,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Susan > wrote:

> I think the bottom line is that there's no reason to believe that spring
> water or other bottled water is more pure than tap.

It really depends on where one lives. I live in St Louis, and our
Missouri River drawn tap water has won recognition for its taste and
lack of impurities, so I am fine with my tap water as is, just add ice
or put a pitcher in the fridge.

However, I have had tap water with minerals other ultrafine impurities
in it that has a horrendous taste. If at the tap filtration can't clean
up that stuff, I could well understand drinking the bottled stuff.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Susan > wrote:
>
>> I think the bottom line is that there's no reason to believe that spring
>> water or other bottled water is more pure than tap.

> It really depends on where one lives. I live in St Louis, and our
> Missouri River drawn tap water has won recognition for its taste and
> lack of impurities, so I am fine with my tap water as is, just add ice
> or put a pitcher in the fridge.
>
> However, I have had tap water with minerals other ultrafine impurities
> in it that has a horrendous taste. If at the tap filtration can't clean
> up that stuff, I could well understand drinking the bottled stuff.
>
> jt

We don't use bottled, but we do filter. Our local water is "pure" but
smells and tastes like a swamp much of the time. The beverage of choice in
this house is water most times because it is now so good.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> But that would be BETTER water.
>
> Why people would pay for water that may be NO better is the question.
> And many tests have shown the bulk of bottled water is just tap water
> drawn into a bottle and sold on the shelves.

Yes, I realized after I posted that we were talking about bottled, not
filtered water.

Forget the content, what about the endocrine disruptors in plastics?

Susan
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Susan wrote:
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> But that would be BETTER water.
>>
>> Why people would pay for water that may be NO better is the
>> question. And many tests have shown the bulk of bottled water is
>> just tap water drawn into a bottle and sold on the shelves.

> Yes, I realized after I posted that we were talking about bottled,
> not filtered water.
>
> Forget the content, what about the endocrine disruptors in plastics?

Endocrine disrupters and hormones can be present in the water before it
is bottled. This is especially true in water taken from rivers that have
treated sewerage from upstream. Think birth control pills.

<http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18553728>

> Occurrence and removal of pharmaceuticals and endocrine disruptors in
> South Korean surface, drinking, and waste waters.

> The elimination of these chemicals during drinking water and
> wastewater treatment processes at full- and pilot-scale also was
> investigated. Conventional drinking water treatment methods were
> relatively inefficient for contaminant removal, while efficient
> removal (?99%) was achieved by granular activated carbon (GAC). In
> wastewater treatment processes, membrane bioreactors (MBR) showed
> limited target compound removal, but were effective at eliminating
> hormones and some pharmaceuticals (e.g., acetaminophen, ibuprofen,
> and caffeine). Membrane filtration processes using reverse osmosis
> (RO) and nanofiltration (NF) showed excellent removal (>95%) for all
> target analytes.

Sounds like reverse osmosis isn't all that effective against disrupters.

Matthew