Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Clay product

I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had read
that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.

However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was made in
Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said that it was a
box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or made from Ohio clay
AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot and saw that it did say
Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.

I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of using it
mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay made in China
that I have put away or got rid of because of possible lead content. [I
realize politically and geographically that China and Taiwan are different.]

This product is in use by Americans; and they have nothing but praise for
it. But I do wonder what is on the bottom of theirs, U.S. or Taiwan.

DH says that he thinks clay fired in Taiwan is probably not different than
ours -- I'm thinking, do we have any brand-name fired products made here in
the U.S. any longer? Pftzalgraff (sp?) is made in Mexica, AFAIK.

I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to use. I
guess I'm looking for some confidence.

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of using
> it mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay made in
> China that I have put away or got rid of because of possible lead
> content. [I realize politically and geographically that China and Taiwan
> are different.]

> I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to use.
> I guess I'm looking for some confidence.
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Regardless of the source, there is always some possibility of lead being in
pottery and tiles. The biggest problems is when acidic foods, especially
liquid, is in them for a long time. Such as an orange juice pitcher. Dry
and non-acidic lessen the potential considerably.

I'd use them anyway.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>> I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of using
>> it mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay made in
>> China that I have put away or got rid of because of possible lead
>> content. [I realize politically and geographically that China and Taiwan
>> are different.]

>> I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to use.
>> I guess I'm looking for some confidence.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Dee Dee

> Regardless of the source, there is always some possibility of lead being
> in pottery and tiles. The biggest problems is when acidic foods,
> especially liquid, is in them for a long time. Such as an orange juice
> pitcher. Dry and non-acidic lessen the potential considerably.
>
> I'd use them anyway.

Thanks, Ed.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Dee Randall wrote:

> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had read
> that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>
> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was made in
> Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said that it was a
> box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or made from Ohio clay
> AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot and saw that it did say
> Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.
>
> I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of using it
> mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay made in China
> that I have put away or got rid of because of possible lead content. [I
> realize politically and geographically that China and Taiwan are different.]
>
> This product is in use by Americans; and they have nothing but praise for
> it. But I do wonder what is on the bottom of theirs, U.S. or Taiwan.
>
> DH says that he thinks clay fired in Taiwan is probably not different than
> ours -- I'm thinking, do we have any brand-name fired products made here in
> the U.S. any longer? Pftzalgraff (sp?) is made in Mexica, AFAIK.
>
> I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to use. I
> guess I'm looking for some confidence.
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

I wonder if a lead test kit used to detect lead in paint can be used to
test possible lead content in clay cookware? Just an idea . .. . ... .

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Randall wrote:
> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had read
> that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>
> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was made in
> Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said that it was a
> box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or made from Ohio clay
> AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot and saw that it did say
> Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.

I'm sure that was a mis-print, too. What it was supposed to say was that
it was "Made by Taiwaneese" in Ohio.

Ohio has a bunch of pottery places in and around central Ohio. But you,
as did we, noticed that much of the stuff was imported even though they
advertise local handmade pottery.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had
>> read that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>>
>> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was made
>> in Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said that it
>> was a box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or made from
>> Ohio clay AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot and saw that
>> it did say Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.

> I'm sure that was a mis-print, too. What it was supposed to say was that
> it was "Made by Taiwaneese" in Ohio.
>
> Ohio has a bunch of pottery places in and around central Ohio. But you,
> as did we, noticed that much of the stuff was imported even though they
> advertise local handmade pottery.
>
> -sw

Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
http://steuben.com/

No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.

Which leaves me wondering to this day.

Dee Dee
born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:48:16 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
>Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
>http://steuben.com/
>
>No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.
>
>Which leaves me wondering to this day.

But Steuben has always been made in Corning, NY. Am I missing something here,
Dee?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun 14 Jun 2009 07:12:05p, Dee Randall told us...

> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had
> read that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>
> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was
> made in Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said
> that it was a box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or
> made from Ohio clay AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot
> and saw that it did say Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.
>
> I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of using
> it mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay made in
> China that I have put away or got rid of because of possible lead
> content. [I realize politically and geographically that China and
> Taiwan are different.]
>
> This product is in use by Americans; and they have nothing but praise
> for it. But I do wonder what is on the bottom of theirs, U.S. or
> Taiwan.
>
> DH says that he thinks clay fired in Taiwan is probably not different
> than ours -- I'm thinking, do we have any brand-name fired products made
> here in the U.S. any longer? Pftzalgraff (sp?) is made in Mexica,
> AFAIK.
>
> I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to use.
> I guess I'm looking for some confidence.
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

Given that these are for bread, no? I doubt that you have anything to
worry about.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Soup is just a way of screwing you out of a meal. ~Jay Leno

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 15 Jun 2009 02:48:16p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had
>>> read that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>>>
>>> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was
>>> made in Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said
>>> that it was a box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or
>>> made from Ohio clay AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot
>>> and saw that it did say Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.

>> I'm sure that was a mis-print, too. What it was supposed to say was
>> that it was "Made by Taiwaneese" in Ohio.
>>
>> Ohio has a bunch of pottery places in and around central Ohio. But
>> you, as did we, noticed that much of the stuff was imported even though
>> they advertise local handmade pottery.
>>
>> -sw

> Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
> Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
> http://steuben.com/
>
> No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.
>
> Which leaves me wondering to this day.
>
> Dee Dee
> born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

Steuben is a division of Corning Glass in Corning, NY. They've been in
production in Corning since 1903. I have several of their art pieces, two
inscribed bud vases, and a set of 6 wine glasses.

Back in the late 1960s I was gifted with one of the bud vases and I bought
its companion vase. Each is inscribed with a Robert Browning phrase.
Curious if they are still in the collection, I just looked them up on the
Steuben website. You could have knocked me off my chair with a feather...
Each vase cost $85 when purchased in the late 1960s. They now sell for
$650 each. (I must be more careful when cleaning.) <g>

http://steuben.com/acb/product2.cfm?product=1530

--
Wayne Boatwright
Food without wine is a corpse; wine without food is a ghost; united

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 17:48:16 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
>>Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
>>http://steuben.com/
>>
>>No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.
>>
>>Which leaves me wondering to this day.

> But Steuben has always been made in Corning, NY. Am I missing something
> here,
> Dee?
>
> -- Larry

Which now no longer leaves me wondering. :-)))

My thoughts were at the time (being the hick I was raised) and hearing of
this glass that it 'was' made in Steubenville.
That's how we are back in WV/Ohio River.

Thanks, Larry.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Mon 15 Jun 2009 02:48:16p, Dee Randall told us...

>>> I'm sure that was a mis-print, too. What it was supposed to say was
>>> that it was "Made by Taiwaneese" in Ohio.
>>>
>>> Ohio has a bunch of pottery places in and around central Ohio. But
>>> you, as did we, noticed that much of the stuff was imported even though
>>> they advertise local handmade pottery.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
>> Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
>> http://steuben.com/
>>
>> No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.
>>
>> Which leaves me wondering to this day.
>>
>> Dee Dee
>> born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

> Steuben is a division of Corning Glass in Corning, NY. They've been in
> production in Corning since 1903. I have several of their art pieces, two
> inscribed bud vases, and a set of 6 wine glasses.
>
> Back in the late 1960s I was gifted with one of the bud vases and I bought
> its companion vase. Each is inscribed with a Robert Browning phrase.
> Curious if they are still in the collection, I just looked them up on the
> Steuben website. You could have knocked me off my chair with a feather...
> Each vase cost $85 when purchased in the late 1960s. They now sell for
> $650 each. (I must be more careful when cleaning.) <g>
>
> http://steuben.com/acb/product2.cfm?product=1530
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Using my inflation calculator, I see that 1960 $85 is in 2008 is $611.34.

Please don't burst my bubble and inform me that Dean Martin was not born in
Steubenville, Ohio.
(I looked it up to confirm it just now.)

I must've got Steuben glass and Dean confused :-))

Thanks, Wayne.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Sun 14 Jun 2009 07:12:05p, Dee Randall told us...
>
>> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had
>> read that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>>
>> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was
>> made in Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said
>> that it was a box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or
>> made from Ohio clay AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot
>> and saw that it did say Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.
>>
>> I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of using
>> it mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay made in
>> China that I have put away or got rid of because of possible lead
>> content. [I realize politically and geographically that China and
>> Taiwan are different.]
>>
>> This product is in use by Americans; and they have nothing but praise
>> for it. But I do wonder what is on the bottom of theirs, U.S. or
>> Taiwan.
>>
>> DH says that he thinks clay fired in Taiwan is probably not different
>> than ours -- I'm thinking, do we have any brand-name fired products made
>> here in the U.S. any longer? Pftzalgraff (sp?) is made in Mexica,
>> AFAIK.
>>
>> I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to use.
>> I guess I'm looking for some confidence.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Dee Dee

> Given that these are for bread, no? I doubt that you have anything to
> worry about.
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I ate 4 slices of bread last night and had leg cramps during the ngiht.
But on further thought, I think it must've been the wine I consumed along
with it. :-))

BTW, I followed the instructions as I usally do for first time use of
anything, even though it goes against my 'years-of-experience.'
I shouldn't have done that. The bread stuck and we had to scrape it off -
the corn meal 'might have' helped, but didn't work.

With anything else stone when baking bread, I have never put dough on top of
a cold stone, which is what Williams-Sonama recipe said to do.
What a crock - !! I can really get stupid sometimes.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sky" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had
>> read
>> that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>>
>> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was made
>> in
>> Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said that it
>> was a
>> box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or made from Ohio
>> clay
>> AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot and saw that it did say
>> Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.
>>
>> I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of using
>> it
>> mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay made in China
>> that I have put away or got rid of because of possible lead content. [I
>> realize politically and geographically that China and Taiwan are
>> different.]
>>
>> This product is in use by Americans; and they have nothing but praise for
>> it. But I do wonder what is on the bottom of theirs, U.S. or Taiwan.
>>
>> DH says that he thinks clay fired in Taiwan is probably not different
>> than
>> ours -- I'm thinking, do we have any brand-name fired products made here
>> in
>> the U.S. any longer? Pftzalgraff (sp?) is made in Mexica, AFAIK.
>>
>> I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to use.
>> guess I'm looking for some confidence.
>>
>> Thanks.
>> Dee Dee

> I wonder if a lead test kit used to detect lead in paint can be used to
> test possible lead content in clay cookware? Just an idea . .. . ... .
>
> Sky

Sky, I answered your post, but I see it got lost.
To make it short, thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:45:35 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>....I shouldn't have done that. The bread stuck and we had to scrape it off -
>the corn meal 'might have' helped, but didn't work.
>
>With anything else stone when baking bread, I have never put dough on top of
>a cold stone, which is what Williams-Sonama recipe said to do.

We *always* use a piece of parchment paper. It never hurts, and often helps.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Jun 2009 10:45:35 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>....I shouldn't have done that. The bread stuck and we had to scrape it
>>off -
>>the corn meal 'might have' helped, but didn't work.
>>
>>With anything else stone when baking bread, I have never put dough on top
>>of
>>a cold stone, which is what Williams-Sonama recipe said to do.

> We *always* use a piece of parchment paper. It never hurts, and often
> helps.
>
> -- Larry

I usually bake bread on my hr.-long heated stone, sometimes using parchment
paper if it's slack; but I use tons of parchment paper. Parchment paper is
my choice for non-cleanup. I use it a lot in all sorts of baking pans
underneath the veggies when roasting, and underneath veggies when cooking,
then covering with aluminum foil. I feel that aluminum foil leaves a
detectable taste if put underneath the ingredient.

:-)) Yes, I should have done all the things I know to do with this La
Cloche -- but by golly, I thought I'd do it the way Chuck Williams
(Williams-Sonoma) said, first. My BIG mistake. Even though 74, I still
"hark" back to my mother's retort when I do something stupid, "Why did you
do that, Dee?"

Yep, it's still soaking off, as I write. DH is making some espresso as we
speak, so all is well.

Thanks, Larry.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Randall wrote:

> Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
> Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
> http://steuben.com/
>
> No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.
>
> Which leaves me wondering to this day.
>
> Dee Dee
> born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

I remember Steubenville. Travelling back to Pittsburgh from the West you
either go through Steubenville or Wheeling. Mostly I remember Wheeling
and the odd configuration of bridges.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
>> Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
>> http://steuben.com/
>>
>> No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.
>>
>> Which leaves me wondering to this day.
>>
>> Dee Dee
>> born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

> I remember Steubenville. Travelling back to Pittsburgh from the West you
> either go through Steubenville or Wheeling. Mostly I remember Wheeling
> and the odd configuration of bridges.
>
> -sw

Oh, my, Wheeling, WV was one pitiful sight decades ago.
This is one of the cities that did improve.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Randall wrote:

> Oh, my, Wheeling, WV was one pitiful sight decades ago.
> This is one of the cities that did improve.

Pittsburgh sure lived up to it's name a few decades ago but has taken a
turn for the better.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 16 Jun 2009 07:41:01a, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...

>>> Once we were traveling in Ohio, and I decided I wanted to stop in
>>> Steubenville, Ohio to see some Steuben glass.
>>> http://steuben.com/
>>>
>>> No one in Steubenville had ever heard of it.
>>>
>>> Which leaves me wondering to this day.
>>>
>>> Dee Dee
>>> born down the road-a-ways from Steubenville, Ohio

>> Steuben is a division of Corning Glass in Corning, NY. They've been in
>> production in Corning since 1903. I have several of their art pieces,
>> two inscribed bud vases, and a set of 6 wine glasses.
>>
>> Back in the late 1960s I was gifted with one of the bud vases and I
>> bought its companion vase. Each is inscribed with a Robert Browning
>> phrase. Curious if they are still in the collection, I just looked them
>> up on the Steuben website. You could have knocked me off my chair with
>> a feather... Each vase cost $85 when purchased in the late 1960s. They
>> now sell for $650 each. (I must be more careful when cleaning.) <g>
>>
>> http://steuben.com/acb/product2.cfm?product=1530
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Using my inflation calculator, I see that 1960 $85 is in 2008 is
> $611.34.
>
> Please don't burst my bubble and inform me that Dean Martin was not born
> in Steubenville, Ohio.
> (I looked it up to confirm it just now.)

Nope, Dino was definitely from Steubenville.

> I must've got Steuben glass and Dean confused :-))

Well, sometimes he was a bit glassy-eyed. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
We are all dietetic sinners; only a small percent of what we eat

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 16 Jun 2009 07:45:35a, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...
>> On Sun 14 Jun 2009 07:12:05p, Dee Randall told us...
>>
>>> I brought a cooking product some time ago made from clay, which I had
>>> read that was made from clay in the U.S., I believe it was in Ohio.
>>>
>>> However, when this product arrived, it stated on the box that it was
>>> made in Taiwan. I called the company I brought it from, and they said
>>> that it was a box mis-print that that it was really made in Ohio (or
>>> made from Ohio clay AIR). Later on I looked at the bottom of the pot
>>> and saw that it did say Taiwan, as well, on the bottom.
>>>
>>> I made the choice to keep the pot, but have been somewhat leary of
>>> using it mainly because I have purchased other products made of clay
>>> made in China that I have put away or got rid of because of possible
>>> lead content. [I realize politically and geographically that China
>>> and Taiwan are different.]
>>>
>>> This product is in use by Americans; and they have nothing but praise
>>> for it. But I do wonder what is on the bottom of theirs, U.S. or
>>> Taiwan.
>>>
>>> DH says that he thinks clay fired in Taiwan is probably not different
>>> than ours -- I'm thinking, do we have any brand-name fired products
>>> made here in the U.S. any longer? Pftzalgraff (sp?) is made in
>>> Mexica, AFAIK.
>>>
>>> I bought two of these La Cloche, oblong and round, and I'm ready to
>>> use.
>>> I guess I'm looking for some confidence.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>> Dee Dee

>> Given that these are for bread, no? I doubt that you have anything to
>> worry about.
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I ate 4 slices of bread last night and had leg cramps during the ngiht.
> But on further thought, I think it must've been the wine I consumed
> along with it. :-))

<G>

> BTW, I followed the instructions as I usally do for first time use of
> anything, even though it goes against my 'years-of-experience.'
> I shouldn't have done that. The bread stuck and we had to scrape it off
> - the corn meal 'might have' helped, but didn't work.
>
> With anything else stone when baking bread, I have never put dough on
> top of a cold stone, which is what Williams-Sonama recipe said to do.
> What a crock - !! I can really get stupid sometimes.

No, I would never put dough directly on a cold stone. Parchment paper
would have probably prevented it. Did it rise and stick to the underside
of the cloche as well, or just the stone bottom?

--
Wayne Boatwright
My favorite animal is steak. ~Fran Lebowitz

Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

> wrote in message

> We *always* use a piece of parchment paper. It never hurts, and often
> helps.

Dunno about that.
Mine always sticks to the paper
and I'm sore about that, so it does hurt some

mk5000

"whether you like it or not it ain't gonna stop
cause i got you on my radar
I'm checking you so hot
wonder if he knows he's on my radar"--britney spears

zisha clay Barky Bark Tea 2 20-01-2006 02:36 AM
Can this clay pot be saved? Sara Cooking Equipment 9 14-10-2005 02:19 AM
If I go clay ... Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 37 17-09-2004 10:56 PM
I might go clay ... Matthew L. Martin Barbecue 24 17-09-2004 03:36 AM
Clay cooking L Beck General Cooking 5 07-12-2003 06:06 PM