Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Nuts in the Kitchen Aide are a No No

Last night I was making a baklava and thought I'd grind up the
store-chopped nuts in the meat grinder attachment of the KA Artisan. It
stopped dead. No turning, just motor groaning. I shut it off and tried
to open the ring on the front of the grinder attachment but it was stuck
like it had been glued there.

I kept running water through it and finally, DH, with the aid of one of
those rubber gripper jar openers was able to get the ring loose. What I
found inside was a form of concrete that was made from the nuts and nut
oil solidifying into a cement.

Got out the Cuisinart and did my chopping there.

Moral of the story: Don't put your nuts in the meat grinder.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 11 Jun 2009 13:10:25 -0500, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Don't put your nuts in the meat grinder.

Words to live by.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Last night I was making a baklava and thought I'd grind up the
> store-chopped nuts in the meat grinder attachment of the KA Artisan. It
> stopped dead. No turning, just motor groaning. I shut it off and tried
> to open the ring on the front of the grinder attachment but it was stuck
> like it had been glued there.
>
> I kept running water through it and finally, DH, with the aid of one of
> those rubber gripper jar openers was able to get the ring loose. What I
> found inside was a form of concrete that was made from the nuts and nut
> oil solidifying into a cement.

I can see the physics of that.

> Got out the Cuisinart and did my chopping there.

I have an old, handheld nut chopper that I use. It has a glass jar with
a wierd piece on top. That piece has a handle sticking out the side. I
put the nuts in the top, turn the handle one way for coarse, the other
fir fine. Fingers grab the juts and bring them down onto thin strips of
metal, and then force the nut to try and go through, breaking it up as
it goes.

> Moral of the story: Don't put your nuts in the meat grinder.

Ouch.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Jun 11, 1:10*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Last night I was making a baklava and thought I'd grind up the
> store-chopped nuts in the meat grinder attachment of the KA Artisan. It
> stopped dead.

I've run a lot of different stuff through my KA meat grinder powered
by the old KA45. It will do nuts, but it helps to have them COLD (as
in from the freezer) and to dribble them in... if you load the chute
and the worm... it will struggle. If you keep the flow modest, it will
do a decent job.
Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 02:13:48 GMT, jt august >
wrote:

>I have an old, handheld nut chopper that I use. It has a glass jar with
>a wierd piece on top. That piece has a handle sticking out the side. I
>put the nuts in the top, turn the handle one way for coarse, the other
>fir fine. Fingers grab the juts and bring them down onto thin strips of
>metal, and then force the nut to try and go through, breaking it up as
>it goes.

Nothing beats that device: we had one when I was a kid, and I chopped
lots of walnuts and almonds in that thing. Wonder if my mother still
has it. If she does, I'm asking her to will it to me!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet wrote:

> Last night I was making a baklava and thought I'd grind up the
> store-chopped nuts in the meat grinder attachment of the KA Artisan. It
> stopped dead. No turning, just motor groaning. I shut it off and tried
> to open the ring on the front of the grinder attachment but it was stuck
> like it had been glued there.
>
> I kept running water through it and finally, DH, with the aid of one of
> those rubber gripper jar openers was able to get the ring loose. What I
> found inside was a form of concrete that was made from the nuts and nut
> oil solidifying into a cement.
>
> Got out the Cuisinart and did my chopping there.
>
> Moral of the story: Don't put your nuts in the meat grinder.

All these responses and nobody has mentioned the Slap-Chop(tm)?

Bob, "You're gonna love my nuts."
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Will wrote:
> On Jun 11, 1:10 pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> Last night I was making a baklava and thought I'd grind up the
>> store-chopped nuts in the meat grinder attachment of the KA Artisan. It
>> stopped dead.

> I've run a lot of different stuff through my KA meat grinder powered
> by the old KA45. It will do nuts, but it helps to have them COLD (as
> in from the freezer) and to dribble them in... if you load the chute
> and the worm... it will struggle. If you keep the flow modest, it will
> do a decent job.

Thank you! That was great advice.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.usenet.legends.lester-mosley

"Will" > wrote in message

>Well... the grinder chute and the worm are plastic... so they won't
>heat up.

then it's fine1

mk5000

"up til now i thought i knew love
nothing to lose and it's damaged cause
patterns will fall as quick as i do
but now bridges are burning and I'm learning"==unusual you, britney spears

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Jun 11, 1:10*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> Last night I was making a baklava and thought I'd grind up the
> store-chopped nuts in the meat grinder attachment of the KA Artisan. It
> stopped dead. No turning, just motor groaning. I shut it off and tried
> to open the ring on the front of the grinder attachment but it was stuck
> like it had been glued there.
>
> I kept running water through it and finally, DH, with the aid of one of
> those rubber gripper jar openers was able to get the ring loose. *What I
> found inside was a form of concrete that was made from the nuts and nut
> oil solidifying into a cement.
>
> Got out the Cuisinart and did my chopping there.
>
> Moral of the story: *Don't put your nuts in the meat grinder.

<suppressing emasculation anxieties> Tonight I ground a nice chuck
steak tonight into four nice burgers. I just got one of those rubber
things as a freebie at the checkout the other day. It'll come in
handy for my wife who has little arm strength, but we both know how to
spank the jar. Now get your mind outta the gutter. We both know what
I mean.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas