Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default New Look of Le Creuset

Although the page is in French, there are a few pictures of the new Le
Creuset

http://www.lecreuset.com/fr-fr/Les-A...otte-Actuelle/

It says on Chow Hound that this is a line for the French only.

I'm surprised there isn't a pyramid for the knob :-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

A bit ugly!
I will stick with the old ones.

On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:13:31 -0400, in rec.food.equipment, "Dee
Randall" > wrote:

>Although the page is in French, there are a few pictures of the new Le
>Creuset
>
>http://www.lecreuset.com/fr-fr/Les-A...otte-Actuelle/
>
>It says on Chow Hound that this is a line for the French only.
>
>I'm surprised there isn't a pyramid for the knob :-))
>
>Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Alan Edwards" > wrote in message
>A bit ugly!
> I will stick with the old ones.
>
> On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:13:31 -0400, in rec.food.equipment, "Dee
> Randall" > wrote:
>
>>Although the page is in French, there are a few pictures of the new Le
>>Creuset
>>
>>http://www.lecreuset.com/fr-fr/Les-A...otte-Actuelle/

I'll stick with the lower priced brands that cook just as well.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 15:32:37 -0400, Susan > wrote:

>I like the new look; though it's now indistinguishable from that other
>brand whose name I can't recall.

Staub? Except for the larger handles on the new LC...

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Susan > wrote:

> I can't, for the life of me, figure out why Le Creuset would want to
> dilute its brand by making it look like a competitor.

Assimilation?

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Susan" > wrote in message

> Which ones are those? When I was researching recently in search of a
> reasonable Dutch oven for my daughter, there were myriad complaints about
> almost all of them easily chipping and not standing up to repeated use.
>
> I like the new look; though it's now indistinguishable from that other
> brand whose name I can't recall.
>
> Susan

We've been using a Calphalon that we bought for about $30 in their outlet
store. Any enameled cast iron is subject to chipping. The ceramic coating
and the base metal expand and contract at slightly different rages, the
coating is very brittle and, being heavy, the base itself is subject to
bumping and dropping.

If you want good performance and no chipping, get a plain cast iron DO. The
coating adds color and good look, but does not enhance the cooking ability.

Our favorite is still our Club Aluminum that my grandmother bought in the
1920's or so.

If you like the looks and can afford Le Creuset, by all mean, buy it and
enjoy it, but it will not cook any better than the cheaper brands.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 21:41:30 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:

>If you want good performance and no chipping, get a plain cast iron DO. The
>coating adds color and good look, but does not enhance the cooking ability.

Except when you're cooking very acidic foods, right?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2009 21:41:30 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
>
>>If you want good performance and no chipping, get a plain cast iron DO.
>>The
>>coating adds color and good look, but does not enhance the cooking
>>ability.

> Except when you're cooking very acidic foods, right?
>
> -- Larry

I was reading this group of comments "Losing faith in cast iron cookware" on
Chowhound. [ Maybe this is where I got the pic of the new LeCreuset.]

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/515126

I've had my love/hate relationship with cast iron, whether it is enameled or
not, so it was sort of an interesting read for me.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Edwin Pawlowski said...

> "Alan Edwards" > wrote in message
>>A bit ugly!
>> I will stick with the old ones.
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Jun 2009 23:13:31 -0400, in rec.food.equipment, "Dee
>> Randall" > wrote:
>>
>>>Although the page is in French, there are a few pictures of the new Le
>>>Creuset
>>>
>>>http://www.lecreuset.com/fr-fr/Les-A...otte-Actuelle/

> I'll stick with the lower priced brands that cook just as well.

I bought a Le Crouset 9"x9" ceramic square baking dish since a recipe called
for that shape. Forget what I paid.

Took quite awhile to find (at Bloomingdales!), but it didn't really make a
hill-o'-beans difference compared to the 8"x8" I'd been using. Cooked a tad
faster.

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> I was reading this group of comments "Losing faith in cast iron cookware"
> on Chowhound. [ Maybe this is where I got the pic of the new LeCreuset.]
>
> http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/515126

Yes, it is an interesting read. I love CI for some things, but it is not
the perfect material at all, but none are. Outside on the grill, inside
when you need really high heat it is great. Makes a good roasting pan also.
I use my copper for many things too. For a sauté, it is superior to CI.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Susan said...

> Yeah, I don't buy much, either. And I've gotten rid of my food
> processor, stand mixer, salad spinner ever since moving to a home with a
> much smaller kitchen. Don't miss them at all. But I did buy a very
> large covered All Clad saute pan to hold the ten lbs of spinach that
> cooks down to about a cup :-) and a large LC Dutch oven when I began
> braising a lot more. I kept a lot of pots I never used from my original
> set until my daughter was old enough to move out and use them and she's
> mighty pleased about it. Nothing makes her happier than building a well
> equipped kitchen.

Susan,

May I suggest the spinach, tomato and cheese omelette? :9

I too, have a glass covered saute/anything non-stick pan. It's my go-to pan
most of the time.

I use the salad spinner insert as a pasta strainer when I'm not spinning
other stuff.

I fell for the silicon baking dishes but they proved to be too flimsy for my
liking. First experience, I made the mistake of removing a silicon casserole
dish out of the oven with my bare hands. Blistered my fingers instantly. I
was thinking microwave safe--"no heat." YEOUCH!!!

Best,

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 05:28:21 -0500, Andy > wrote:

>I too, have a glass covered saute/anything non-stick pan...

Hmmm -- how do you get a non-stick pan hot enough to saute?

>I fell for the silicon baking dishes but they proved to be too flimsy for my
>liking...

Can you explain what you mean by flimsy? If you are referring to rigidity, most
people use them atop a baking sheet.

>First experience, I made the mistake of removing a silicon casserole
>dish out of the oven with my bare hands. Blistered my fingers instantly. I
>was thinking microwave safe--"no heat." YEOUCH!!!

Ah. I withdraw the questions. 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

said...

>>First experience, I made the mistake of removing a silicon casserole
>>dish out of the oven with my bare hands. Blistered my fingers instantly. I
>>was thinking microwave safe--"no heat." YEOUCH!!!

> Ah. I withdraw the questions. 8
>
> -- Larry

Ask me about the great bacon grease spill of 1984!!!

Andy
--
Eat first, talk later.

Le Creuset jim General Cooking 38 23-12-2005 03:01 PM
Le Creuset Wok Viviane Cooking Equipment 8 24-12-2004 09:45 AM
Le Creuset Wok Larry General Cooking 3 09-11-2004 02:09 AM
Le Creuset Wok Peter Aitken Cooking Equipment 1 09-11-2004 02:09 AM
Le Creuset Wok Larry Cooking Equipment 0 08-11-2004 11:21 PM