Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Icing sugar shaker

I'm looking for an airtight container to store icing sugar. I live in
Sydney (Australia) and it gets humid here so if it's not airtight the sugar
will form clumps. I'd also like it to have a mechanism in the lid that can
be used to shake the icing sugar onto waffles etc. I haven't been able to
find anything. Anyone have any ideas. I've tried department stores,
catering shops etc but nothing. Surely such a thing exists?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Viviane" > wrote:

> I'm looking for an airtight container to store icing sugar. I live in
> Sydney (Australia) and it gets humid here so if it's not airtight the sugar
> will form clumps. I'd also like it to have a mechanism in the lid that can
> be used to shake the icing sugar onto waffles etc. I haven't been able to
> find anything. Anyone have any ideas. I've tried department stores,
> catering shops etc but nothing. Surely such a thing exists?

Best I can think of is one of those parmesan cheese shakers sold in
stores. See this pic of Kraft parmesan.

http://www.citysackers.com/images/Kr...%20Cheese%209o
z.jpg

The lid flips up to allow shaking, flips down and locks to keep cheese.
Get one, make up and enjoy some spaghetti and meat sauce or pizza, and
then wash the container out and reuse it for your sugar.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:58:12 +1000, "Viviane" >
wrote:

>I'm looking for an airtight container to store icing sugar. I live in
>Sydney (Australia) and it gets humid here so if it's not airtight the sugar
>will form clumps. I'd also like it to have a mechanism in the lid that can
>be used to shake the icing sugar onto waffles etc. I haven't been able to
>find anything. Anyone have any ideas. I've tried department stores,
>catering shops etc but nothing. Surely such a thing exists?

I use this ordinary mesh shaker: http://tinyurl.com/lkrjr2

It's widely available at half the WS price.

I'm certain the plastic cover is air tight, but not certain about the stainless
steel lid itself. In any event, I've had zero clumping in Virginia, where it's
also pretty humid.

Will the old restaurant trick of putting a saltine in the container eliminate
the clumps?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Viviane wrote:

> I'm looking for an airtight container to store icing sugar. I live in
> Sydney (Australia) and it gets humid here so if it's not airtight the sugar
> will form clumps. I'd also like it to have a mechanism in the lid that can
> be used to shake the icing sugar onto waffles etc. I haven't been able to
> find anything. Anyone have any ideas. I've tried department stores,
> catering shops etc but nothing. Surely such a thing exists?

You may need two containers, perhaps? Get a flour shaker (or similar)
for the icing sugar. For examples see,

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...v =2&aq=f&oq=

Then, put the flour/sugar shaker inside a separate air-tight plastic
container that's large enough to hold the shaker, like those made by
Rubbermaid or Tupperware.

Or, if you have a home vacuum sealer machine/appliance like FoodSaver or
Seal-a-Meal, then one of those vacuum-sealed containers can be used to
keep the flour/sugar shaker in air-tight (vacuumed!). I bet putting the
flour/sugar shaker into a vacuum sealed bag would work, too.

HTH

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Shaker Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 11 07-04-2010 05:45 AM
Sugar Cookies and Icing Barb Recipes (moderated) 0 16-03-2007 01:37 AM
sugar free chocolate cake with peanut butter icing? Anthony Davis General Cooking 3 02-11-2006 02:56 AM
Icing vs Corn Sugar Winemaking 3 30-05-2006 10:07 PM
sugar free icing recipe? [email protected] Diabetic 7 17-12-2004 03:09 PM