FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   best all purpose oven (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/170640-best-all-purpose-oven.html)

Reggie 09-04-2009 03:25 AM

best all purpose oven

what are your thoughts on a good, all around oven suitable for a wide
variety of purposes, including:

pizza baking (high temp)
bread baking - steam? vent? proofing, then baking?
pastry baking - even temp
braising - low and slow
smoking element ?
temp probe(s)
programmable functions

other thoughts?

I imagine a commercial oven would be in order here.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 09-04-2009 06:24 AM

best all purpose oven

On Wed 08 Apr 2009 07:25:55p, Reggie told us...

> what are your thoughts on a good, all around oven suitable for a wide
> variety of purposes, including:
>
> pizza baking (high temp)
> bread baking - steam? vent? proofing, then baking?
> pastry baking - even temp
> braising - low and slow
> smoking element ?
> temp probe(s)
> programmable functions
>
> other thoughts?
>
> I imagine a commercial oven would be in order here.

Yes, probably a commercial oven. Even at that, I wonder if you'll find all
those features in *one* oven.

--
Wayne Boatwright

"One man's meat is another man's poison"
- Oswald Dykes, English writer, 1709.

Sqwertz[_27_] 09-04-2009 08:07 PM

best all purpose oven

Reggie wrote:
> what are your thoughts on a good, all around oven suitable for a wide
> variety of purposes, including:
>
> pizza baking (high temp)
> bread baking - steam? vent? proofing, then baking?
> pastry baking - even temp
> braising - low and slow
> smoking element ?
> temp probe(s)
> programmable functions
>
> other thoughts?
>
> I imagine a commercial oven would be in order here.

I've never seen an oven that smokes without being a dedicated smoker. I
suppose you could bake/braise in a commercial indoor smoker, though (sans
smoke).

-sw

Gil Faver 09-04-2009 09:00 PM

best all purpose oven

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Reggie wrote:
>> what are your thoughts on a good, all around oven suitable for a wide
>> variety of purposes, including:
>>
>> pizza baking (high temp)
>> bread baking - steam? vent? proofing, then baking?
>> pastry baking - even temp
>> braising - low and slow
>> smoking element ?
>> temp probe(s)
>> programmable functions
>>
>> other thoughts?
>>
>> I imagine a commercial oven would be in order here.

> I've never seen an oven that smokes without being a dedicated smoker. I
> suppose you could bake/braise in a commercial indoor smoker, though (sans
> smoke).

Alto Shaam makes a couple of models that include an electric heating element
for smoke. These ovens serve other functions as well, but not a really high
temp oven. I'd like not to have to buy a half dozen different ovens . . .
Maybe a couple.