Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default The edge of new toy season

Well, here in St Louis, the weather turned sour this weekend, as it did
for much of the US, what with this last arctic surge. Actaully,
Saturday could have been a decent garage sale day, the air was pleasant
and the skies were somewhat dry. Yard sales would not have been so
good, but carports and garages could have had that "Oh Wow, first garage
sales of the year" rush and been quite successful. The one I did happen
on whilst on my way to the Hill to get some italian ingredients did do
well, and had little left when I happened on it at roughly noon.

But with the return of garage sale season, thus begins anew my quest for
more fun toys to cook with at wonderously cheap prices. Not much I am
actively seeking, that potential all-clad skillet or a nice, big (12-16
qt) stock pot, but as always, anything I don't already have that shows
potential to work.

Anyone else here look forward to similar?

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
> Well, here in St Louis, the weather turned sour this weekend, as it did
> for much of the US, what with this last arctic surge. Actaully,
> Saturday could have been a decent garage sale day, the air was pleasant
> and the skies were somewhat dry. Yard sales would not have been so
> good, but carports and garages could have had that "Oh Wow, first garage
> sales of the year" rush and been quite successful. The one I did happen
> on whilst on my way to the Hill to get some italian ingredients did do
> well, and had little left when I happened on it at roughly noon.
>
> But with the return of garage sale season, thus begins anew my quest for
> more fun toys to cook with at wonderously cheap prices. Not much I am
> actively seeking, that potential all-clad skillet or a nice, big (12-16
> qt) stock pot, but as always, anything I don't already have that shows
> potential to work.
>
> Anyone else here look forward to similar?
>
> jt

Not to demean your love of cooking utensils at garage sales, but when
someone mentions same, immediately conjured in the little balloon over my
head, the words: I'll bet they used this as a dog bowl.

I know there must be people getting rid of stuff that don't need the money,
but just want it out of the house. This happened at a garage sale for
myself when packing up after leaving a sold home. Absolutely NO ONE would
take for NOTHING my Cuisinart food processor. To be fair, it had a chip in
the plastic in the bowl edge where it latched onto the white housing, so I
guess no one wanted to deal with this; it worked even with the bowl chip
perfectly fine. If I were in the market for one, I would have snatched it
up for zero amount, bought a new bowl, if I thought necessary.

Have fun, jt.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message

> But with the return of garage sale season, thus begins anew my quest for
> more fun toys to cook with at wonderously cheap prices. Not much I am
> actively seeking, that potential all-clad skillet or a nice, big (12-16
> qt) stock pot, but as always, anything I don't already have that shows
> potential to work.
>
> Anyone else here look forward to similar?

Most garage sales around here are little more that trash type stuff. The
good stuff is already in the antique shops. I gave up on them years ago.
If it is going to prep or cook my food, I want to know where it came from.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:

> Anyone else here look forward to similar?

My wife picked up several really nice heavy gauge aluminum cake pans.
They were probably 40 or 50 years old. Free to good home.

I guess nobody bakes these days... these pans were unusually sturdy,
and from our perspective, give better results than non-stick or
silicon. The cake rise is dead even...
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> I'll bet they used this as a dog bowl.

Yes, I've seen that comment before. But you know, a sink of very hot
water with a jigger of bleach and a good scotch brite scrubbie can allay
such concerns. Not to gross you out, but I have to, think about your
favorite restaurants, and how many mouths those forks and spoons have
been in, and yet they get them completely clean and sanitized and people
keep reusing them and no plagues have spread yet.

And besides, the human mouth is much more unsanitary than a dog's mouth,
medically speaking.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dee Randall" > wrote:
>
>> I'll bet they used this as a dog bowl.

> Yes, I've seen that comment before. But you know, a sink of very hot
> water with a jigger of bleach and a good scotch brite scrubbie can allay
> such concerns. Not to gross you out, but I have to, think about your
> favorite restaurants, and how many mouths those forks and spoons have
> been in, and yet they get them completely clean and sanitized and people
> keep reusing them and no plagues have spread yet.
>
> And besides, the human mouth is much more unsanitary than a dog's mouth,
> medically speaking.
>
> jt

And we all know where the dogs' mouths have been! LOL!

Dee Dee