Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Juicers: Recommendations on affordable one that works well?

On Thu 15 Jan 2009 01:41:28a, jt august told us...

> In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> I mean which is "healthier" for you?
>> better to just drink juice.... or better
>> for body to pulverize entire vegetable
>> and eat EVERYHTING?

> It depends on both the individual's body and the chosen fruit of
> vegetable. With lemons, you don't wont to blend and drink the pith.
> Very bitter and unpleasant. With carrots, if properly cleaned, you
> could blend down the whole thing, but pulpy carrot juice is just
> unpleasant to drink, and you would have to dilute it some to get it thin
> enough to drink. But carrots through a juicer are simply the carrot
> flavored liquid, no pasty pulp.
>
> Your question, while valid, has an answers with too many "it depends
> ..." variables in the answer.
>
> jt

Exactly!

To cover all variables, one needs a battery of appliances to do the job.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 01(I)/15(XV)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
3dys 13hrs 34mins
Luxuriantly hand-crafted from only the finest ASCII.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote:

> I use the veggie juicer to extract
>carrot juice, onion juice, broccoli juice and tomato (or is it tomatoe)
>juice for soups and sauces where I want the flavours but not the pulp.

Question...... maybe off track

But can a veggie juicer SAVE you money over buying
pre-made juices such as v8??
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote:

>It depends on both the individual's body and the chosen fruit of
>vegetable. With lemons, you don't wont to blend and drink the pith.
>Very bitter and unpleasant. With carrots, if properly cleaned, you
>could blend down the whole thing, but pulpy carrot juice is just
>unpleasant to drink, and you would have to dilute it some to get it thin
>enough to drink. But carrots through a juicer are simply the carrot
>flavored liquid, no pasty pulp.
>
>Your question, while valid, has an answers with too many "it depends
>..." variables in the answer.

OK

Just trying to determine what KIND of juicer I want

My goals is to make my own veggie"concoctions" that are
healthy and would potentially save money over buying
pre-made juices such as V8
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote:

>Basically, a VitaMix can pulverize concrete into juice. The VitaMix is
>a high power blender, and the concept of juicing they market is to
>simply break up the fruit into tiny suspension within the water
>contained in the fruit or veggie.

Ahhhh! Thanks so much now I am clear on diff between
VitaMix, juicer, etc

I wrongly assumed a veggie juicer worked just like a
VitaMix except that the VitaMix was MUCH stronger....
but in fact they work quite different
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
> jt august > wrote:
>
>>It depends on both the individual's body and the chosen fruit of
>>vegetable. With lemons, you don't wont to blend and drink the pith.
>>Very bitter and unpleasant. With carrots, if properly cleaned, you
>>could blend down the whole thing, but pulpy carrot juice is just
>>unpleasant to drink, and you would have to dilute it some to get it thin
>>enough to drink. But carrots through a juicer are simply the carrot
>>flavored liquid, no pasty pulp.
>>
>>Your question, while valid, has an answers with too many "it depends
>>..." variables in the answer.

> OK
>
> Just trying to determine what KIND of juicer I want
>

> My goals is to make my own veggie"concoctions" that are
> healthy and would potentially save money over buying
> pre-made juices such as V8

I imagine you are speaking of consistency, but consider the price of
tomatoes. As I recall, V8 is somewhat the consistency of tomato juice. I
don't think the Vitamix would do the job for you regarding tomatoes, the
power is so high that it will create a foam.

From most fruits, the power of the Vita-mix produces a juice that is frothy
and some find objectionable. For instance, I wouldn't make a gazpacho (sp?)
in it without astute attention, and probably not at all.

For juice, the consistency of V-8, I think I would consider others'
suggestions here.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"The Cook" > wrote in message
>>My goals is to make my own veggie"concoctions" that are
>>healthy and would potentially save money over buying
>>pre-made juices such as V8

> You are better off eating the fruits and vegetables rather than
> juicing them. There is nothing magic about juices. You might check
> to see how much raw produce it takes to make a glass of juice.
> --
> Susan N.

I'll agree with that. Juicing was a pain and I wasn't even satisfied with
the taste.
But to me, a nice CA navel orange a day is heaven.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <> "Dee Randall" wrote:
>
>> "Bertie Doe" < wrote in message
>>
>> My fav is vanilla ice cream on fresh
>> > or tinned fruit. I roast my own coffee and would love to make coffee
>> > sauce
>> > for ice cream, but I can never make it thick or strong enough. The
>> > local
>> > s/mkt sells lots of flavored syrups - except coffee.
>> >

>> Your remarks Coffee Sauce sounds fantastic for ice cream. I wonder if
>> this would be a similar recipe to what you might make.
>> http://www.recipezaar.com/Creamy-Coffee-Sauce-198831
>>
>> (Seeing you on alt.coffee)
>> Dee Dee

> I was thinking a sweetened, condensed milk based sauce with reduced
> coffee or expresso added. Similarly, a reduced expresso could be added
> to a caramelized simple syrup. The key is to gently reduce the
> expresso, an already strong coffee, to an even more concentrated state
> before adding it to a sauce.

Yes the trick is to (somehow) reduce the espresso, without boiling it, which
is tricky. Obviously Big Food has access to expensive equipment for reducing
coffee, fruit, wine concentrates etc. I'll probably have to buy the stuff
from the supermarket and accept the fact that there's going to be a lot of
flavour enhancers etc.

>A caramelized simple syrup is one boiled
> to a state that is not quite candied, still liquid when cooled, but is
> just starting to brown and take on that caramel look, aroma and flavour.
> I haven't made one in years, so I cannot remember off hand the
> temperature on a candy thermometer.

My wife bought a glass sugar/jam thermometer at a garage sale. One day
she'll use it. Written on the brass case is :-
Jam = 104C/220F
Soft Ball = 116C/240F
Hard Ball = 120C/250F
Small Crack = 138C/280F
Crack = 154C/310F
Caramel = 174C/345F
To get to these temperatures, I guessyou need a heavy sugar content.

> BTW: on the expresso, since Bertie roasts his or her (sorry Bertie, I'm
> not sure exactly who you are) own beans, the beans will be fresh ground.

In the uk Bertie is male, short for Bertrum.

> I am a strong proponent of fresh ground beans. The difference is
> flavour in coffee is immense and worthy.
>
> I avoid commercially ground coffee at all costs. I will use instant in
> a select few recipes, but ONLY a few.

Coffee can be frozen if it can't be used in say, 2 weeks. However, you need
to fully defrost the coffee before opening the bag.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 15 Jan 2009 11:03:50a, told us...

> jt august > wrote:
>
>>It depends on both the individual's body and the chosen fruit of
>>vegetable. With lemons, you don't wont to blend and drink the pith.
>>Very bitter and unpleasant. With carrots, if properly cleaned, you
>>could blend down the whole thing, but pulpy carrot juice is just
>>unpleasant to drink, and you would have to dilute it some to get it thin
>>enough to drink. But carrots through a juicer are simply the carrot
>>flavored liquid, no pasty pulp.
>>
>>Your question, while valid, has an answers with too many "it depends
>>..." variables in the answer.

> OK
>
> Just trying to determine what KIND of juicer I want
>

> My goals is to make my own veggie"concoctions" that are
> healthy and would potentially save money over buying
> pre-made juices such as V8

In that case I would buy a true juicer, not anything like a blender
regardless of brand or power.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 01(I)/15(XV)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
3dys 7hrs 30mins
Any system that depends on reliability is unreliable.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 15 Jan 2009 11:17:43a, The Cook told us...

> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 12:03:50 -0600, wrote:
>
>>jt august > wrote:
>>
>>>It depends on both the individual's body and the chosen fruit of
>>>vegetable. With lemons, you don't wont to blend and drink the pith.
>>>Very bitter and unpleasant. With carrots, if properly cleaned, you
>>>could blend down the whole thing, but pulpy carrot juice is just
>>>unpleasant to drink, and you would have to dilute it some to get it thin
>>>enough to drink. But carrots through a juicer are simply the carrot
>>>flavored liquid, no pasty pulp.
>>>
>>>Your question, while valid, has an answers with too many "it depends
>>>..." variables in the answer.

>>OK
>>
>>Just trying to determine what KIND of juicer I want
>>

>>My goals is to make my own veggie"concoctions" that are
>>healthy and would potentially save money over buying
>>pre-made juices such as V8

> You are better off eating the fruits and vegetables rather than
> juicing them. There is nothing magic about juices. You might check
> to see how much raw produce it takes to make a glass of juice.

That works just fine for the majority of people, but those who have
difficulty chewing or swallowing might find juice easier to deal with.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 01(I)/15(XV)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
3dys 7hrs 29mins
'A nation is just a society for hating foreigners.' - Olaf Stapledon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote:

>> You are better off eating the fruits and vegetables rather than
>> juicing them. There is nothing magic about juices. You might check
>> to see how much raw produce it takes to make a glass of juice.
>> --
>> Susan N.
>>

>I'll agree with that. Juicing was a pain and I wasn't even satisfied with
>the taste.
>But to me, a nice CA navel orange a day is heaven.
>Dee Dee

Ok well maybe I really DONT want a juicer after al!

I just thought it might be a way to eat better and save
some money making my own juice in the AM
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 15 Jan 2009 11:02:02a, told us...

> jt august > wrote:
>
>> I use the veggie juicer to extract
>>carrot juice, onion juice, broccoli juice and tomato (or is it tomatoe)
>>juice for soups and sauces where I want the flavours but not the pulp.

> Question...... maybe off track
>
> But can a veggie juicer SAVE you money over buying
> pre-made juices such as v8??

I rather doubt it, though have no personal proof. It does take quite a few
vegetables to produce juice. It also varies with the vegetable/fruit being
used; e.g., it takes quite a few carrots to make a full glass of juice.

The point is that the juice is as fresh as the vegetables/fruits used in
making it.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 01(I)/15(XV)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
3dys 7hrs 32mins
'It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.' - s.w.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote:

>> But can a veggie juicer SAVE you money over buying
>> pre-made juices such as v8??

>It depends on the price of such produce or if you grow your own, or
>course, but if the source is cheaper or free, then yes. More important
>is that you can control the content to taste, health requirements, etc.
>You can also reduce the salt or eliminate it to taste or health
>requirements (I generally dislike salt, so I am a proponent of salt
>reduction whenever possible).

Point taken

I didn't fully understand the difference between a
VitaMix and juicer.

I thought they both did the same thing..... i.e.
liquefy whole veggie..... and that Vita Mix was just
more expensive version of juicer.

However, the Vitamix would be more cost effective in
that it uses the WHOLE veggie whereas a juicer would
extract only juice and discard the pulp so would not be
as cost effective in the "use" of the veggie

Now that I clear on that thanks to people here.... I'm
not sure a juicer would be more economical over say
just EATING the veggies..... but as you say above it
would make healthier juices with no salt and such

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Jan 12, 8:01*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 09:19:45a, Dee Randall told us...
>

> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 85.250...
> >> On Mon 12 Jan 2009 04:45:10a, Bertie Doe told us...

> >> nI actuality, to cover all bases, one needs both a blender and a
> >> juicer. I
> >> once owned a VitaMix and didn't like it. *Gave it away, in lieu of the
> >> top of the line Osterizer. *I've had the Osterizer since 1966 and it's
> >> never failed. *A dedicated juicer can do wonderful things.

> >> --
> >> * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright

> > I use my vitamix as well to grind wheat berries, rye berries.... *I
> > grind one cup at a time. *I have had two name-brand, as I recall, grain
> > grinders previously, but both failed. For grinding, the Vitamix, does
> > have a container that looks just like the wet container, with a
> > different blade, that you must purchase. *I bought it, or it was
> > included, at the time I bought it abt 1995 +/-.

> > I have had other blenders, but put all away or whatever, when I bought
> > the vitamix. I use my KitchenAid food processor for dry blending, and
> > Vitamix for wet blending. *But, for example, to do a pesto, I will use
> > the food processor even though one might consider it a wet blend. *We
> > all have our ways as to what appliance we use for what process.

> > I do have a juicer. *I disliked it from the start. *I suppose there are
> > more fancy ones than I bought. *I don't think many people will 'do'
> > wheat grass, but I had to buy a 'sausage-type' hand grinder to that -- a
> > disaster, too. Just an example of all the tools we use to do a job in
> > the kitchen.

> > Good luck,
> > Dee Dee

> As I said, VitaMix has its devotees. *I am not one of them. *I have a grain
> mill which has never failed, as well as 2 food processors and blender that
> have never failed. *I had a commercial grade juicer which I really liked,
> but found I wasn't using it enough and sold it.
>
> --
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Wayne Boatwright * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> * * * * * * * (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply) * * * * * * *
> ************************************************** **********************
> Date: * * * * * * Monday, 01(I)/12(XII)/09(MMIX)
> ************************************************** **********************
> * * * * * * * *Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day * * * * * * *
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *6dys 5hrs * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
> ************************************************** **********************
> * * * * * I'm just a revved up youth on a thrill-kill rampage. * * * * *
> ************************************************** **********************

If you want a juicer to last, don't go for the cheaply made juicers.
The juicers that I consider cheap are the one's you see on TV such as
the Juiceman or Jack Lalanne. I had both of these and they break
easily. My wife and I did a lot of research before we bought our next
juicer. We finally bought a Breville Fountain 800Jexl. This one is
top of the line and is built to last. You can process whole fruits,
easy to clean, and it looks like a work of art. I just started a blog
about the benefits of juicing and have a link to the Breville. Check
it out he <a href="http://brevillefountain.zoxic.com"><span

adding additional information so excuse the mess for now.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

alfasentari > wrote:

>If you want a juicer to last, don't go for the cheaply made juicers.

What abt the $80 Hamilton Beach unit at Walmart?

Id rather buy a cheap at first to make sure I would
"use it" before spending a lot of money!!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <
> wrote:
>
>> alfasentari < wrote:
>>
>> >If you want a juicer to last, don't go for the cheaply made juicers.

>> What abt the $80 Hamilton Beach unit at Walmart?
>>
>> Id rather buy a cheap at first to make sure I would
>> "use it" before spending a lot of money!!

> Of course, at $5 and even under to buy one at a garage sale, if the GS
> used one lasts only 3 years of moderate use (the way I use mine), you
> would need 48 years to get up to that $80 HB unit. Oh, and I bought
> mine in '97, and if I recall correctly, that one was actually only $2
> buy the time I got there, originally $5 at 6 a.m., but the lady was
> really marking down to get rid of things by noon that day (not a lot of
> demand for juicers).
>
> Oh, and mine is fully dishwasher safe except for the motor base, which
> doesn't get dirty when assembled correctly.

What about Juiceman as an entry level 'suck it and see' approach. Like most
things they're Chinese-made, but it's designed by Salter, so should be ok
http://preview.tinyurl.com/aaxesm

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> What about Juiceman as an entry level 'suck it and see' approach. Like most
> things they're Chinese-made, but it's designed by Salter, so should be ok
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/aaxesm

If it is cheap enough for your price point, go for it. And while I
share the concern about cheap, china made crap, I will say that I have
some cheap china made crap that is surprisingly good. I am a machinist
by trade, and I use these things called test indicators when making
adjustments of as small as 5 ten-thousandths of an inch (.0005 inches,
or .012 mm). Here's a link to one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi...tor513-404.jpg

I have a brand name unit from a company named Fowler. The Fowler made
one is flakey. The company has units I can borrow from TecLock and
Brown and Sharpe. Both of these have been problematic at times. And
yet, my generic, made in china indicator has been dropped into the
machines, been through the chip conveyor, knocked off onto the floor,
and is still my favorite indicator. Made in china, but it works well.

And there have been reports in the news on how many high end
manufacturers (Italian shoes in one report I heard this week) are
actually doing their primary manufacturing in china. So the made in
china concern, while well grounded, may be unavoidable.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <> "Bertie Doe" < wrote:
>
>> What about Juiceman as an entry level 'suck it and see' approach. Like
>> most
>> things they're Chinese-made, but it's designed by Salter, so should be ok
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/aaxesm

> If it is cheap enough for your price point, go for it. And while I
> share the concern about cheap, china made crap, I will say that I have
> some cheap china made crap that is surprisingly good. I am a machinist
> by trade, and I use these things called test indicators when making
> adjustments of as small as 5 ten-thousandths of an inch (.0005 inches,
> or .012 mm). Here's a link to one:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Fi...tor513-404.jpg
>
> I have a brand name unit from a company named Fowler. The Fowler made
> one is flakey. The company has units I can borrow from TecLock and
> Brown and Sharpe. Both of these have been problematic at times. And
> yet, my generic, made in china indicator has been dropped into the
> machines, been through the chip conveyor, knocked off onto the floor,
> and is still my favorite indicator. Made in china, but it works well.
>
> And there have been reports in the news on how many high end
> manufacturers (Italian shoes in one report I heard this week) are
> actually doing their primary manufacturing in china. So the made in
> china concern, while well grounded, may be unavoidable.

Yes they're following in the footsteps of Japan and Taiwan. They make pretty
good stuff, that's designed to work perfectly for a few years. Getting
replacement parts can be problematic.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> Yes they're following in the footsteps of Japan and Taiwan. They make pretty
> good stuff, that's designed to work perfectly for a few years. Getting
> replacement parts can be problematic.

Now you're talking about that fine, American digital electronics
manufacturer, Hewlitt-Packard. Buy something from them, it dies in 1-3
years, and they don't offer any type of repair option. They offer you a
"generous" discount through them to buy a replacement item of today's
technology - and if you shop around, you can almost find it online
somewhere for a lower price, usually with lower shipping.

Honestly, I'm somewhat jaded on this whole subject. Part of why I like
to by working used cheap.

Other examples on request.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <
> "Bertie Doe" <wrote:
>
>> Yes they're following in the footsteps of Japan and Taiwan. They make
>> pretty
>> good stuff, that's designed to work perfectly for a few years. Getting
>> replacement parts can be problematic.

> Honestly, I'm somewhat jaded on this whole subject. Part of why I like
> to by working used cheap.

I'm in the same boat, I like to buy used and so far I've been lucky with
eBay. A few weeks ago I got a mixer for £28. In the late 70's Kenwood
stopped making this model, but it's built like a tank. The new ones cost 10
x as much and the changes only seem to be cosmetic.

I guess it depends on useage. We bought an electric sewing machine on eBay,
ex demonstrator, half size for only £10. I was surprised when it managed to
sow burlap/hessian together!! In truth, it won't get used much, so it was
worth taking a risk and buying 'cheap and cheerful'.

Member

Location: Sarasota, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertie Doe View Post
"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
On Mon 12 Jan 2009 04:45:10a, Bertie Doe told us...

Ok, the juicer on the other hand, separates the juice from the seeds,
skin and pith. However, I have heard, that it takes an awful lot of
fruit or veg, to produce a cup of juice. I guess this is a difficult one
to answer, as 1lb of ripe pineapple or melon, is going to produce more
juice than apples and pears. I guess a blender is ideal for say, a
banana milkshake, but how would a juicer cope with a banana?

nI actuality, to cover all bases, one needs both a blender and a juicer.
once owned a VitaMix and didn't like it. Gave it away, in lieu of the top
of the line Osterizer. I've had the Osterizer since 1966 and it's never
failed. A dedicated juicer can do wonderful things.

Ok I googled up Osterizer and it's plenty powerful enough, 12 speed plus
they mention 'regular blades and s/steel blades'? Two different models or is
the s/s an accessory?
I also spotted a reference to a machine called Blendtec. During the smoothie
demo, there is a sneak reference to other machines using plungers to push
down fruit (VitaMix etc).
We eat a pint each of full-fat ice-cream, so I was interested in the
Blendtec video's reference to 'vanilla pudding' and 'Tang'. Haven't heard of
these in the uk, are they simply flavourings? He also made no reference to
adding sugar??
I was really thinking about purchasing the Jack Lalane juicer. Any suggestion or comments?
Looking for Valentine chocolate recipes.

Best Juicers Out There? lourdesgourmet Cooking Equipment 0 18-07-2011 12:16 AM
Juicers: Recommendations on affordable one that works well? jt august[_2_] Cooking Equipment 4 24-01-2009 06:27 AM
Juicers metspitzer General Cooking 7 28-06-2008 08:54 PM
30% more than which other juicers? mm General Cooking 5 24-02-2007 06:55 PM
Advice about juicers usual suspect Vegan 11 11-11-2003 06:06 PM