Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Replacing the Toaster Oven

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Best place to return anything is WalMart. Unfortunately, they often take
> the defective thing you just brought back and stick it right on the
> shelf for another person to buy.

I just finished my final shift of the season at Macy's. Whenever I had
a return, I asked the customer if there was a problem with the item.
Every time the customer got even slightly defensive, I reassured them, I
needed to know if the item was defective because I did not want to put
it back on the floor and make someone else unhappy.

From being behind the counter there, I can say that Macy's try to be the
most accommodating on returns, whereas at Wally World, you have to
submit to the psuedo-homeland security screening when you walk in, then
they tag your stuff with the obnoxious returns stickers, taking your
bags away from you if you only have one or two items, and then make you
parade back to their new returns counter in the back of the store where
lay-awake* used to be, where only one person is working the counter with
5 people ahead of you in line. After all that, yeah, they take the
return no questions asked, but the hassle is horrible.

jt

* Lay-awake, where you put the items in storage at the retailer, then
you lay awake in bed trying to figure out how you're going to pay for
all that stuff.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Sky > wrote:

> Oh how I wish our old B&D 'space saver' TO still worked! Even though it
> was relatively tiny - toasted 2 slices of bread easily - there was
> seldom a day when it wasn't used. I suppose B&D discontinued that model
> because the risk of fire was too great, perhaps (?).

Sky,

This isn't your old B&D TO, but it is my Toastmaster TO. This is the
very the WifeBeast(tm) is baking biscuits in as I type.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Toastmaster-COV7...Toaster-Oven_W
0QQitemZ120355519928QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20682QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZ
ViewItem

If the Link breaks, go to ebay and look for item 120355519928.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

Mark A.Meggs wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:39:20 -0600, Sky >
> wrote:
>
> >X-posted with follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment
> >
> >----
> >
> >Happy New Year!
> >
> >Well, another toaster oven (TO) has bitten the dust. Spouse and I use
> >the TO everyday and frequently at that. We mainly use the TO to bake
> >foods, rewarm pizza, etc., but we do not use it to toast toast ;D
> >
> >So, the TO has to be replaced. I've checked with Consumer Reports and
> >other sources to learn which ones are better than others. However, I'd
> >like to know and read about first-hand experiences rather than solely
> >relying on Consumer Reports.
> >
> >If anyone is inclined to reply, what sort of TO do you have and what
> >features does it have that you like? Perhaps a TO with convection might
> >be nice? I've also seen some TOs that include a built-in rotisserie
> >unit (I can see cooking a pork tenderloin roast with that rotisserie!).
> >I don't want to spend a fortune, but then again, I'd like to buy
> >something that will not break down in a short matter of time, relatively
> >speaking. TIA.
> >
> >Sky, who won't bake a single potato in the large range oven!

> I wouldn't call mine a toaster oven, but I really like my DeLonghi
> counter top oven wih rotisserie. It's the only thing I roast chicken
> in! I've had it about 4-5 years, but I don't use it daily (and never
> for toast, I've got a chrome retro-style toaster for that).
>
> - Mark

Thanks. Your comments help We have a dedicated small toaster just
for the bread. The current, and soon to be previous, TO toasted bread
very poorly.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Best place to return anything is WalMart. Unfortunately, they often take
>> the defective thing you just brought back and stick it right on the
>> shelf for another person to buy.

> I just finished my final shift of the season at Macy's. Whenever I had
> a return, I asked the customer if there was a problem with the item.
> Every time the customer got even slightly defensive, I reassured them, I
> needed to know if the item was defective because I did not want to put
> it back on the floor and make someone else unhappy.
>
> From being behind the counter there, I can say that Macy's try to be the
> most accommodating on returns, whereas at Wally World, you have to
> submit to the psuedo-homeland security screening when you walk in, then
> they tag your stuff with the obnoxious returns stickers, taking your
> bags away from you if you only have one or two items, and then make you
> parade back to their new returns counter in the back of the store where
> lay-awake* used to be, where only one person is working the counter with
> 5 people ahead of you in line. After all that, yeah, they take the
> return no questions asked, but the hassle is horrible.

I have returned a number of items to Walmart. Your description does not
match my experience in the least.

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):
Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:
> In article >,
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Best place to return anything is WalMart. Unfortunately, they often take
>> the defective thing you just brought back and stick it right on the
>> shelf for another person to buy.

> I just finished my final shift of the season at Macy's. Whenever I had
> a return, I asked the customer if there was a problem with the item.
> Every time the customer got even slightly defensive, I reassured them, I
> needed to know if the item was defective because I did not want to put
> it back on the floor and make someone else unhappy.

My first husband used to work for Abraham & Strauss Department store
(gone now) They had to take everything back. He worked in the shoe
department and had to take a pair of shoes back because the woman
returning the well-worm pair said "they smelled bad"

> From being behind the counter there, I can say that Macy's try to be the
> most accommodating on returns, whereas at Wally World, you have to
> submit to the psuedo-homeland security screening when you walk in, then
> they tag your stuff with the obnoxious returns stickers, taking your
> bags away from you if you only have one or two items, and then make you
> parade back to their new returns counter in the back of the store where
> lay-awake* used to be, where only one person is working the counter with
> 5 people ahead of you in line. After all that, yeah, they take the
> return no questions asked, but the hassle is horrible.

Our local store does the ticket thing, but you go to the regular
customer service counter for the return. I once brought back a cheap
watch that was too large for my wrist and had to take that to the
jewelry department.
> * Lay-awake, where you put the items in storage at the retailer, then
> you lay awake in bed trying to figure out how you're going to pay for
> all that stuff.

LOL!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Sky wrote:
> Mark A.Meggs wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 13:39:20 -0600, Sky >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> X-posted with follow-ups set to rec.food.equipment
>>>
>>> ----
>>>
>>> Happy New Year!
>>>
>>> Well, another toaster oven (TO) has bitten the dust. Spouse and I use
>>> the TO everyday and frequently at that. We mainly use the TO to bake
>>> foods, rewarm pizza, etc., but we do not use it to toast toast ;D
>>>
>>> So, the TO has to be replaced. I've checked with Consumer Reports and
>>> other sources to learn which ones are better than others. However, I'd
>>> like to know and read about first-hand experiences rather than solely
>>> relying on Consumer Reports.
>>>
>>> If anyone is inclined to reply, what sort of TO do you have and what
>>> features does it have that you like? Perhaps a TO with convection might
>>> be nice? I've also seen some TOs that include a built-in rotisserie
>>> unit (I can see cooking a pork tenderloin roast with that rotisserie!).
>>> I don't want to spend a fortune, but then again, I'd like to buy
>>> something that will not break down in a short matter of time, relatively
>>> speaking. TIA.
>>>
>>> Sky, who won't bake a single potato in the large range oven!

>> I wouldn't call mine a toaster oven, but I really like my DeLonghi
>> counter top oven wih rotisserie. It's the only thing I roast chicken
>> in! I've had it about 4-5 years, but I don't use it daily (and never
>> for toast, I've got a chrome retro-style toaster for that).
>>
>> - Mark

> Thanks. Your comments help We have a dedicated small toaster just
> for the bread. The current, and soon to be previous, TO toasted bread
> very poorly.
>
> Sky

My previous TO was horrid on bread, too. This new one, the Cuisinart, is
excellent. You can set the darkness on the numerical keypad. I think it
works with a heat sensor.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:

> I have returned a number of items to Walmart. Your description does not
> match my experience in the least.

I have returned 2 items, each to a different Wal-Mart in the STL area,
and those were my experiences.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 06 Jan 2009 08:19:54p, Matthew L. Martin told us...

> jt august wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>
>>> Best place to return anything is WalMart. Unfortunately, they often

take
>>> the defective thing you just brought back and stick it right on the
>>> shelf for another person to buy.

>> I just finished my final shift of the season at Macy's. Whenever I had
>> a return, I asked the customer if there was a problem with the item.
>> Every time the customer got even slightly defensive, I reassured them, I
>> needed to know if the item was defective because I did not want to put
>> it back on the floor and make someone else unhappy.
>>
>> From being behind the counter there, I can say that Macy's try to be the
>> most accommodating on returns, whereas at Wally World, you have to
>> submit to the psuedo-homeland security screening when you walk in, then
>> they tag your stuff with the obnoxious returns stickers, taking your
>> bags away from you if you only have one or two items, and then make you
>> parade back to their new returns counter in the back of the store where
>> lay-awake* used to be, where only one person is working the counter with
>> 5 people ahead of you in line. After all that, yeah, they take the
>> return no questions asked, but the hassle is horrible.

> I have returned a number of items to Walmart. Your description does not
> match my experience in the least.
>
> Matthew

Nor mine. In the several WalMart stores I shop at, it's true that they do
tag incoming merchandise being returned. However, the return department is
at the front of the store. There are 4-5 return registers and at least 3
return clerks on duty, depending on volume. Sometimes there is a line of
people, but they work the returns as soon as possible. I have nver been
hassled, and onlyu asked my reason for the return, and a signature on the
receipt. No biggie!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 01(I)/07(VII)/09(MMIX)
Countdown till Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
1wks 4dys 3hrs 13mins
As a rule of thumb, too clever is dumb. - Ogden Nash

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Thu, 08 Jan 2009 03:35:57 GMT, jt august > wrote:

>In article >,
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:
>
>> I have returned a number of items to Walmart. Your description does not
>> match my experience in the least.

>I have returned 2 items, each to a different Wal-Mart in the STL area,
>and those were my experiences.

Agree with jt: my experience returning items in panhandle FL and
western NY was not good, compounding the fact that I was in Wal-Mart
only under duress in the first place (I practically never shop there).
cez cez is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky View Post
[...]

If you are looking for a new oven you should look for a nice quality not for the cheap price. You should look both a nice product and a cheap price.
http://www.lionsdeal.com