Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default George Foreman Spin Fryer

Average cost of the George Foreman Spin Fryer is ~$150 +.
See:
https://www.leanmeanfryer.com/Defaul...rgetOffer=geor
geforemanfryer

or: http://bit.ly/RRLw

Why not fry as you do (if you do) and place the fried food
in your salad spinner and spin to 'knock out' the fat just
as the expensive machine does?

Salad spinners are easy to clean -- and you've saved $150.

If you are worried about slight cooling, you may get just
the right amount, if not, zap in the microwave for a few
seconds.

Gary Hayman
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"zydecogary" < wrote in message
> Average cost of the George Foreman Spin Fryer is ~$150 +.
> See:
> https://www.leanmeanfryer.com/Defaul...rgetOffer=geor
> geforemanfryer
>
> or: http://bit.ly/RRLw
>
> Why not fry as you do (if you do) and place the fried food
> in your salad spinner and spin to 'knock out' the fat just
> as the expensive machine does?
>
> Salad spinners are easy to clean -- and you've saved $150.
>
> If you are worried about slight cooling, you may get just
> the right amount, if not, zap in the microwave for a few
> seconds.
>
> Gary Hayman

Another alternative is the Tefal Actifry. Same price but you wouldn't get
much oil out - using a salad spinner, because not much oil goes in. It will
also do small chunks of meat -
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WBaURWboAE4

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I've been looking at the Tefal Actifry for about a year new since it
came out. It is very impressive and a very hot item in the UK. I
don't think it is available here yet.

I like it for substantial foods -- French Fries, Sweet Potato Fries
and other similar items where the importance is just crisping the
outside but I don't think it would do a good job on fried chicken and
I am sure it would mangle Asian dumplings such as pot stickers,
wontons, and gyo za.

Anyway, one might try the salad spinner technique if one doesn't have
an Actifry.

Gary Hayman
081228 1:11p
==============

On Dec 28, 11:28*am, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> Another alternative is the Tefal Actifry. Same price but you wouldn't get
> much oil out - using a salad spinner, because not much oil goes in. It will
> also do small chunks of meat -http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WBaURWboAE4
>
> Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"zydecogary" < wrote in message
>I've been looking at the Tefal Actifry for about a year new since it
>came out. It is very impressive and a very hot item in the UK. I
>don't think it is available here yet.

>I like it for substantial foods -- French Fries, Sweet Potato Fries
>and other similar items where the importance is just crisping the
>outside but I don't think it would do a good job on fried chicken and
>I am sure it would mangle Asian dumplings such as pot stickers,
>wontons, and gyo za.

>Anyway, one might try the salad spinner technique if one doesn't have
>an Actifry.

>Gary Hayman
>081228 1:11p

==============

Yes you may be right, I looked on Amazon Uk, to find out how they worked and
if the heat control was variable. Not much info on the Tefal site either.
The concept is good but needs a Mk2 with the ability to cook drumsticks. One
of the reviewers suggested that this model, was limited to small slices of
chicken breast.

I'm happy with the local supermarket OB 'Oven Fries' (thin). I think they're
pre-sprayed with sunflower. I don't get sticking problems, with the
blackcoated s/steel oven tray.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

What I've been experimenting with lately is cutting sweet potatoes
into fry sizes and placing them in a large metal bowl. I add about 1T
of chili pepper olive oil and some various seasonings such as salt,
pepper, adobo, garlic powder, etc. I then toss them from one metal
bowl to another until everything is coated and well mixed and then
bake in a convection toaster oven at about 450 degrees for 30 or so
minutes. (my hands don't get greasy)

The come out pretty good. Not the same as deep fat fried, but maybe
better for some people. I like them. Certainly with only 1T of olive
oil they are more healthy.

I also do the same with regular potatoes but the timing is different
depending upon the type of potato and the size of the cut.

Gary Hayman
081228 3:31p

On Dec 28, 1:52*pm, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:
> "zydecogary" < wrote in message
> >I've been looking at the Tefal Actifry for about a year new since it
> >came out. *It is very impressive and a very hot item in the UK. *I
> >don't think it is available here yet.
> >I like it for substantial foods -- French Fries, Sweet Potato Fries
> >and other similar items where the importance is just crisping the
> >outside but I don't think it would do a good job on fried chicken and
> >I am sure it would mangle Asian dumplings such as pot stickers,
> >wontons, and gyo za.
> >Anyway, one might try the salad spinner technique if one doesn't have
> >an Actifry.
> >Gary Hayman
> >081228 1:11p

> ==============
>
> Yes you may be right, I looked on Amazon Uk, to find out how they worked and
> if the heat control was variable. Not much info on the Tefal site either.
> The concept is good but needs a Mk2 with the ability to cook drumsticks. One
> of the reviewers suggested that this model, was limited to small slices of
> chicken breast.
>
> I'm happy with the local supermarket OB 'Oven Fries' (thin). I think they're
> pre-sprayed with sunflower. I don't get sticking problems, with the
> blackcoated s/steel oven tray.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sky Sky is offline

zydecogary wrote:

> Average cost of the George Foreman Spin Fryer is ~$150 +.
> See:
> https://www.leanmeanfryer.com/Defaul...rgetOffer=geor
> geforemanfryer
>
> or: http://bit.ly/RRLw
>
> Why not fry as you do (if you do) and place the fried food
> in your salad spinner and spin to 'knock out' the fat just
> as the expensive machine does?
>
> Salad spinners are easy to clean -- and you've saved $150.
>
> If you are worried about slight cooling, you may get just
> the right amount, if not, zap in the microwave for a few
> seconds.
>
> Gary Hayman

That's a good idea about the salad spinner. But, I think it depends on
the salad spinner and what its material is. For instance, my spinner is
a cheap, plastic model I found at a drug store for about US$4. I would
think hot fried food just removed from the fryer and immediately placed
in the salad spinner would melt the plastic (?). Can't say as I've seen
an all-metal salad spinner. It's only a thought.

Sky, who rarely fries food but loves that sort of thing

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Dec 30, 10:44*am, Sky > wrote:
> zydecogary wrote:
>
> > Average cost of the George Foreman Spin Fryer is ~$150 +.
> > See:
> >https://www.leanmeanfryer.com/Defaul...rgetOffer=geor
> > geforemanfryer

> > or:http://bit.ly/RRLw

> > Why not fry as you do (if you do) and place the fried food
> > in your salad spinner and spin to 'knock out' the fat just
> > as the expensive machine does?

> > Salad spinners are easy to clean -- and you've saved $150.

> > If you are worried about slight cooling, you may get just
> > the right amount, if not, zap in the microwave for a few
> > seconds.

> > Gary Hayman

> That's a good idea about the salad spinner. *But, I think it depends on
> the salad spinner and what its material is. *For instance, my spinner is
> a cheap, plastic model I found at a drug store for about US$4. *I would
> think hot fried food just removed from the fryer and immediately placed
> in the salad spinner would melt the plastic (?). *Can't say as I've seen
> an all-metal salad spinner. *It's only a thought.
>
> Sky, who rarely fries food but loves that sort of thing
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Idea then ....

Line the inside of the salad spinner basket with some paper towels.

If you wanted metal, you could get a square foot or so of metal
screening and shape it to the inside of the spinner basket.

My salad spinner is a little more expensive -- it's the kind where you
keep on pushing the top and it causes the spinning. I've not had any
trouble with the plastic melting. Of course, I let the fries drain so
that the 'run off' oil stays with the fryer. The spinning will take
care of the surface oil via the centrifugal force.

Besides potatoes, applying this to fried foods such as shrimp,
calamari, won tons, fried cheese curds, fried Twinkies, mini donuts,
fried dill pickles, fried tofu, etc.

I haven't tried it on a deep fat fried turkey. ;-)

Gary Hayman
Posted to rec.food.equipment

zydecogary wrote:
> On Dec 30, 10:44 am, Sky > wrote:
>> zydecogary wrote:
>>
>>> Average cost of the George Foreman Spin Fryer is ~$150 +.
>>> See:
>>> https://www.leanmeanfryer.com/Defaul...rgetOffer=geor
>>> geforemanfryer
>>> or:http://bit.ly/RRLw
>>> Why not fry as you do (if you do) and place the fried food
>>> in your salad spinner and spin to 'knock out' the fat just
>>> as the expensive machine does?
>>> Salad spinners are easy to clean -- and you've saved $150.
>>> If you are worried about slight cooling, you may get just
>>> the right amount, if not, zap in the microwave for a few
>>> seconds.
>>> Gary Hayman

>> That's a good idea about the salad spinner. But, I think it depends on
>> the salad spinner and what its material is. For instance, my spinner is
>> a cheap, plastic model I found at a drug store for about US$4. I would
>> think hot fried food just removed from the fryer and immediately placed
>> in the salad spinner would melt the plastic (?). Can't say as I've seen
>> an all-metal salad spinner. It's only a thought.
>>
>> Sky, who rarely fries food but loves that sort of thing
>>
>> --
>> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
>> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

> Idea then ....
>
> Line the inside of the salad spinner basket with some paper towels.
>
> If you wanted metal, you could get a square foot or so of metal
> screening and shape it to the inside of the spinner basket.
>
> My salad spinner is a little more expensive -- it's the kind where you
> keep on pushing the top and it causes the spinning. I've not had any
> trouble with the plastic melting. Of course, I let the fries drain so
> that the 'run off' oil stays with the fryer. The spinning will take
> care of the surface oil via the centrifugal force.
>
> Besides potatoes, applying this to fried foods such as shrimp,
> calamari, won tons, fried cheese curds, fried Twinkies, mini donuts,
> fried dill pickles, fried tofu, etc.
>
> I haven't tried it on a deep fat fried turkey. ;-)
>
> Gary Hayman

Oil tends to have a nasty effect on plastic after a while. The plastic
gets sticky and can't be cleaned with normal soap and hot water.
Something to do with plastic having a similar molecular structure to
fat. The icky sticky plastic eventually goes rancid. Yum.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sky" < wrote in message
> That's a good idea about the salad spinner. But, I think it depends on
> the salad spinner and what its material is. For instance, my spinner is
> a cheap, plastic model I found at a drug store for about US$4. I would
> think hot fried food just removed from the fryer and immediately placed
> in the salad spinner would melt the plastic (?). Can't say as I've seen
> an all-metal salad spinner. It's only a thought.

Stainless is expensive, but if it lasts 20 years ...................

MIU s/steel http://preview.tinyurl.com/7naubf
or
Oxo s/steel http://preview.tinyurl.com/9anz6u

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Bertie Doe wrote:
> "Sky" < wrote in message
>> That's a good idea about the salad spinner. But, I think it depends on
>> the salad spinner and what its material is. For instance, my spinner is
>> a cheap, plastic model I found at a drug store for about US$4. I would
>> think hot fried food just removed from the fryer and immediately placed
>> in the salad spinner would melt the plastic (?). Can't say as I've seen
>> an all-metal salad spinner. It's only a thought.
>>

> Stainless is expensive, but if it lasts 20 years ...................
>
> MIU s/steel http://preview.tinyurl.com/7naubf
> or
> Oxo s/steel http://preview.tinyurl.com/9anz6u

Unlikely that the basket is steel, the top is clear plastic.

The best way to drain excess oil from fried food is to place a rack
upside down over multiple layers of newspaper. IOW, the rack surface is
in contact with the newspaper. The oil will be wicked away but your
food will not be in contact with the oil soaked paper.

The George Foreman thing appears to do more than just spin the food.
The T-Fal thing might work with potatoes but looks like it will make a
mash out of any sort of delicate food (e.g., fish fillet) or coating.
BTW, proper fried potatoes are fried twice or fried and then finished in
the oven. Just ask Aunt Julia.

Best of luck cleaning your salad spinner.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Dec 30, 7:45*pm, Moka Java > wrote:
.....snip...

> Best of luck cleaning your salad spinner.

I just immediately run some water into the salad spinner and add some
Dawn dish soap. Works for me.

Gary Hayman

Posted to rec.food.equipment

zydecogary wrote:
> On Dec 30, 7:45 pm, Moka Java > wrote:
> ....snip...
>> Best of luck cleaning your salad spinner.

> I just immediately run some water into the salad spinner and add some
> Dawn dish soap. Works for me.
>
> Gary Hayman

Of course there are those who might consider that the hot oil might
leach toxins from the plastic into your food.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"zydecogary" > wrote in message
> Average cost of the George Foreman Spin Fryer is ~$150 +.
> See:
> https://www.leanmeanfryer.com/Defaul...rgetOffer=geor
> geforemanfryer
>
> or: http://bit.ly/RRLw
>
> Why not fry as you do (if you do) and place the fried food
> in your salad spinner and spin to 'knock out' the fat just
> as the expensive machine does?
>
> Salad spinners are easy to clean -- and you've saved $150.
>
> If you are worried about slight cooling, you may get just
> the right amount, if not, zap in the microwave for a few
> seconds.
>
> Gary Hayman

The OXO spin dryer is an excellent product. I don't think, however, I would
use it to spin off oil. You'd carefully have to balance the weight each time
you use it. It wouldn't work for one piece of fish. You can do just as well
blotting with paper towels, and the spin dryer is best kept out of the
dishwasher. Rinse it off and leave it on the counter! That Foreman product
looks like another effort from that company to create a product that
seduces, but doesn't do anything useful. Our Foreman sandwich machine is in
the garage.

Theron