Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Ping: Wayne - Bittman's 45-minute turkey

http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/...5-minutes.html
Bittman's 45 minute turkey.

Wayne, this recipe is for you, dear, as I know how we love our turkey.

DH decided he'd like to try this method of flattening a bird and for some
crazy reason, I agreed to him putting it into the oven.

Oh,my, the mess! I suppose the oven did need a cleaning, so it got a 3-hour
session; but remembering what you said about the oven door cleaning taking
longer (a 4-hour session?), I just knew that spattered door window would not
clean up. It did not. I should have sacrificed another hour.

What's more, I don't think he flattened it enough, so the bird took much,
much longer than Bittman's 35-37 minute bird (ours looked about the same
poundage as Bittman's - 12 lbs.) We kept putting it back into the oven,
taking the temperature with the Thermapen. I think DH washed the prong of
the Thermapen too often and ran some water up into it, necessitating hunting
for that 'special' battery for it that I had conveniently put away -
somewhere; it was working sporadicaly. I did not have my Polder readily
available either. I think perhaps one of those two prong Polders
that is offered would be good for turkey breast at 161º and the thigh 175º.

The Thermapen seems to be working well today, but DH decided to order this
one http://tinyurl.com/8o67pq to have on hand. I see the Thermapen is up
to $109 now - incredible! I won't be replacing it at that cost, I don't
believe, so I hope the one DH ordered is good.

I might add, that I didn't eat one bite of that turkey. But I did break
down and have a breast slice today while the oven was cleaning.

25º high here tomorrow; wind gusts up to 50 mph. Yikes - I have errands to
do, too!
59º high in Phoenix tomorrow -- you guys must be freezing ;-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun 21 Dec 2008 07:49:13p, Dee Randall told us...

> http://video.nytimes.com/video/2008/...448/roast-turk
> ey-in-45-minutes.html Bittman's 45 minute turkey.
>
> Wayne, this recipe is for you, dear, as I know how we love our turkey.

I'm so lucky you thought of me, Dee! :-) Actually, David would probably
like this.

> DH decided he'd like to try this method of flattening a bird and for
> some crazy reason, I agreed to him putting it into the oven.
>
> Oh,my, the mess! I suppose the oven did need a cleaning, so it got a
> 3-hour session; but remembering what you said about the oven door
> cleaning taking longer (a 4-hour session?), I just knew that spattered
> door window would not clean up. It did not. I should have sacrificed
> another hour.

I can just imagine. Meat/fat spatters that get baked on are the worst.
Actually, even afater a 4-hour session I have occasionally still had soil
on the glass of the door. I have usually managed in the past to get rid
of those spots by soaking a bit of paper towel in either Zippo or
Ronsonoil lighter fluid laid over the spots. Usually just a bit of
rubbing will remove whatever remains. More recentlyh, I have used this
product from Carbona.

http://www.carbona.com/index.asp?Pag...PROD&ProdID=17

Alternatively, you can try the same cream cleaner you use on a glass top
range.

> What's more, I don't think he flattened it enough, so the bird took
> much, much longer than Bittman's 35-37 minute bird (ours looked about
> the same poundage as Bittman's - 12 lbs.) We kept putting it back into
> the oven, taking the temperature with the Thermapen. I think DH washed
> the prong of the Thermapen too often and ran some water up into it,
> necessitating hunting for that 'special' battery for it that I had
> conveniently put away - somewhere; it was working sporadicaly. I did not
> have my Polder readily available either. I think perhaps one of those
> two prong Polders that is offered would be good for turkey breast at
> 161º and the thigh 175º.

I'm not much into the digital thermometers and have not yet bought one,
but I understand that Polder makes very good products.

> The Thermapen seems to be working well today, but DH decided to order
> this one http://tinyurl.com/8o67pq to have on hand. I see the
> Thermapen is up to $109 now - incredible! I won't be replacing it at
> that cost, I don't believe, so I hope the one DH ordered is good.

IMO, that's a rediculous price to pay. I wouldn't spend that much on one,
either. I like the looks of the one your husband ordered. I might even
get one of those myself. I only have a dial-type instant read model.

> I might add, that I didn't eat one bite of that turkey. But I did break
> down and have a breast slice today while the oven was cleaning.

I usually eat a token slice at the first meal when it's freshly carved.
Although this Thanksgiving, for wont of something else to make a sandwich,
a did eat a breast slice and found it really quite good. For some reason,
this particular turkey breast I roasted this year didn't seem to have
either the flavor or smell that I usually detect in the turkey I don't
like.

> 25º high here tomorrow; wind gusts up to 50 mph. Yikes - I have errands
> to do, too!
> 59º high in Phoenix tomorrow -- you guys must be freezing ;-))
>
> Dee Dee

Day time temperatures have been in the 50-55° range for the past couple of
weeks, and this week it has rained almost every day. It really does feel
cold to us.

I you and your DH have a wonderful holiday!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 12(XII)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
1dys 10hrs 33mins
AIBOHPHOBIA - the fear of palindromes.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> On Sun 21 Dec 2008 07:49:13p, Dee Randall told us...

..

>> The Thermapen seems to be working well today, but DH decided to order
>> this one http://tinyurl.com/8o67pq to have on hand. I see the
>> Thermapen is up to $109 now - incredible! I won't be replacing it at
>> that cost, I don't believe, so I hope the one DH ordered is good.

> IMO, that's a rediculous price to pay. I wouldn't spend that much on one,
> either. I like the looks of the one your husband ordered. I might even
> get one of those myself. I only have a dial-type instant read model.

Well, the Thermapen is not working today :-(( so we'll see how the new one
works. I'll let you know.

>> I might add, that I didn't eat one bite of that turkey. But I did break
>> down and have a breast slice today while the oven was cleaning.

> I usually eat a token slice at the first meal when it's freshly carved.
> Although this Thanksgiving, for wont of something else to make a sandwich,
> a did eat a breast slice and found it really quite good. For some reason,
> this particular turkey breast I roasted this year didn't seem to have
> either the flavor or smell that I usually detect in the turkey I don't
> like.

That's odd about not having the smell this year because .....
DH made a fabulous gravy today, and I made some white bread, so he served
turkey slices and gravy over the bread, and it did not have that yukky
taste/smell either. This was 'not' an organic or 'free of pesticides and
hormones" special turkey, just a fresh young hen bought at Costco.

Merry Christmas to you both, stay warm, and be happy!
Dee Dee

Wayne Boatwright

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue 23 Dec 2008 06:23:43p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...
>> On Sun 21 Dec 2008 07:49:13p, Dee Randall told us...
>>

> .
>>
>>> The Thermapen seems to be working well today, but DH decided to order
>>> this one http://tinyurl.com/8o67pq to have on hand. I see the
>>> Thermapen is up to $109 now - incredible! I won't be replacing it at
>>> that cost, I don't believe, so I hope the one DH ordered is good.

>> IMO, that's a rediculous price to pay. I wouldn't spend that much on

one,
>> either. I like the looks of the one your husband ordered. I might even
>> get one of those myself. I only have a dial-type instant read model.
>>

> Well, the Thermapen is not working today :-(( so we'll see how the new

one
> works. I'll let you know.

Yes, thanks, I'll be interested in knowing.

>>> I might add, that I didn't eat one bite of that turkey. But I did

break
>>> down and have a breast slice today while the oven was cleaning.

>> I usually eat a token slice at the first meal when it's freshly carved.
>> Although this Thanksgiving, for wont of something else to make a

sandwich,
>> a did eat a breast slice and found it really quite good. For some

reason,
>> this particular turkey breast I roasted this year didn't seem to have
>> either the flavor or smell that I usually detect in the turkey I don't
>> like.

> That's odd about not having the smell this year because .....
> DH made a fabulous gravy today, and I made some white bread, so he served
> turkey slices and gravy over the bread, and it did not have that yukky
> taste/smell either. This was 'not' an organic or 'free of pesticides and
> hormones" special turkey, just a fresh young hen bought at Costco.

It's probably a conspiracy to get us to eat turkey. :-)

Ours was the usual frozen Honeysuckle White bone-in breast. I had always
found that it had the "least" offensive smell and taste. I was really
surprised this year.

> Merry Christmas to you both, stay warm, and be happy!
> Dee Dee

Thanks, Dee Dee! It's almost here. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 12(XII)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
1dys 3hrs 10mins
The 'Window of Opportunity' is next to the 'Trapdoor of Disaster.'

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> > Merry Christmas to you both, stay warm, and be happy!
> > Dee Dee

> Thanks, Dee Dee! It's almost here. :-)

Well, I've been offline the last couple of daze, so now it is early
Christmas morning, so I can now express to both of you and to all, have
a joyous Christmas. Hope everyone gets some useful and fun cookware of
some form or another.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> > Merry Christmas to you both, stay warm, and be happy!
>> > Dee Dee

>> Thanks, Dee Dee! It's almost here. :-)

> Well, I've been offline the last couple of daze, so now it is early
> Christmas morning, so I can now express to both of you and to all, have
> a joyous Christmas. Hope everyone gets some useful and fun cookware of
> some form or another.

I'm trying to wake up with my second cup of coffee, going thru email, and
then go into the kitchen to make some bread for the day, using all my new
bread-making tools I've accumulated over the past few months; I'm a lucky
gal.

Merry Christmas, Ho, Ho, Ho! to you, too, jt, and to all the fun-loving,
interesting people here on this group.
Enjoy your day.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 05:25:52a, jt august told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> > Merry Christmas to you both, stay warm, and be happy!
>> > Dee Dee

>> Thanks, Dee Dee! It's almost here. :-)

> Well, I've been offline the last couple of daze, so now it is early
> Christmas morning, so I can now express to both of you and to all, have
> a joyous Christmas. Hope everyone gets some useful and fun cookware of
> some form or another.
>
> jt

Merry Christmas, jt! I got a set of 3 different sizes of cookie dough
scoops, something I've wanted for a while.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 08:01:54a, Dee Randall told us...

> "jt august" > wrote in message

>>> Thanks, Dee Dee! It's almost here. :-)

>> Well, I've been offline the last couple of daze, so now it is early
>> Christmas morning, so I can now express to both of you and to all, have
>> a joyous Christmas. Hope everyone gets some useful and fun cookware of
>> some form or another.

Merry Christmas, Dee Dee! I'm sitting here eating a hunk of fresh
gingerbread and drinking iced tea. If you like gingerbread, I'll be glad
to post or e-mail the recipe to you. It's exceptional.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas
In a cat's eyes all things belong to cats.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
> Merry Christmas, Dee Dee! I'm sitting here eating a hunk of fresh
> gingerbread and drinking iced tea. If you like gingerbread, I'll be glad
> to post or e-mail the recipe to you. It's exceptional.

Gingerbread, hmm -- you know, I've not eaten that for years and years.
Yes, I'd like to try 'your' recipe, knowing how sweet you are. ;-))

Funny, about cookies, too. I don't know how to make them, myself. I've
tried, but now I guess I know a few more tricks that could help me out. But
I look at a recipe and get turned off by 'sugar' and 'butter.'

A few weeks ago I bought a Cuisinart 20 piece cookie press & decorating set.
DH and I were in a store that had some good sales, and we just picked it up
with little thought, but I read a review online at Amazon and the reviewer
said they trashed it after the second use. I don't think I'll even try it
out.

But I did buy a package of organic ingredients cookie mix at Costco that all
you do is add is an egg and butter, and it looks like a cinch, but I'll
mess it up, I know. :-))

Dee Dee

> Wayne Boatwright
> (correct the spelling of "geemail" to reply)
> ************************************************** **********************
> Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
> ************************************************** **********************
> Today is: Christmas
> ************************************************** **********************
> In a cat's eyes all things belong to cats.
> ************************************************** **********************

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...
> On Thu 25 Dec 2008 05:25:52a, jt august told us...

>>> Thanks, Dee Dee! It's almost here. :-)

>> Well, I've been offline the last couple of daze, so now it is early
>> Christmas morning, so I can now express to both of you and to all, have
>> a joyous Christmas. Hope everyone gets some useful and fun cookware of
>> some form or another.
>>
>> jt
>>

> Merry Christmas, jt! I got a set of 3 different sizes of cookie dough
> scoops, something I've wanted for a while.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

I hope they are easy to use. Cookie Dough scoops always look so difficult
for strength-challenged fingers.
Let us know how you like them when you use them.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 12:58:22p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
>> Merry Christmas, Dee Dee! I'm sitting here eating a hunk of fresh
>> gingerbread and drinking iced tea. If you like gingerbread, I'll be
>> glad to post or e-mail the recipe to you. It's exceptional.
>>

> Gingerbread, hmm -- you know, I've not eaten that for years and years.
> Yes, I'd like to try 'your' recipe, knowing how sweet you are. ;-))
>
> Funny, about cookies, too. I don't know how to make them, myself. I've
> tried, but now I guess I know a few more tricks that could help me out.
> But I look at a recipe and get turned off by 'sugar' and 'butter.'
>
> A few weeks ago I bought a Cuisinart 20 piece cookie press & decorating
> set. DH and I were in a store that had some good sales, and we just
> picked it up with little thought, but I read a review online at Amazon
> and the reviewer said they trashed it after the second use. I don't
> think I'll even try it out.
>
> But I did buy a package of organic ingredients cookie mix at Costco that
> all you do is add is an egg and butter, and it looks like a cinch, but
> I'll mess it up, I know. :-))
>
> Dee Dee

Have faith!!!

Here is the Gingerbread recipe. It's very spicy and really delightful.
Note: I substitute 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar for the granulated
sugar.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Rich Spicy Gingerbread With Lemon Frosting

Recipe By : Wayne Boatwright
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :1:15
Categories : Cakes, Desserts

Gingerbread
1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter -- Melted
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Unsulphered Molasses
1 each Egg
2 1/4 Cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cardamon
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
1 Teaspoon Orange Zest
1 cup Boiling Water

Lemon Frosting
1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter -- Melted
1 1/2 Cups Confectioner's Sugar -- Approximately
3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine all dry ingredients and orange zest in medium bowl and blend well
with whisk. Set aside.

In mixer bowl, combine melted butter, sugar and molasses. Beat on low speed
until well combined.

Add egg to mixture and beat on low speed until mixture is smooth.

Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl alternatively with boiling boiling water,
mixing until just combined.

Bake in greased 9-inch square pan 45-50 minutes, or until firm to touch and
toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Cool to room
temperature. NOTE: Do not open oven or check for doneness for the first 40
minutes of baking. To do so may cause the center to slump.

For frosting, combine melted butter and half of the confectioner's sugar.
Begin beating on low speed while adding lemon juice. Add enough of the
remaining confectioner's sugar to form a thin, very soft frosting. Spread
evenly over gingerbread and allow to set before cutting.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 9hrs 56mins
Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 01:01:12p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...
>> On Thu 25 Dec 2008 05:25:52a, jt august told us...

>>> Well, I've been offline the last couple of daze, so now it is early
>>> Christmas morning, so I can now express to both of you and to all, have
>>> a joyous Christmas. Hope everyone gets some useful and fun cookware of
>>> some form or another.
>>>
>>> jt
>>>

>> Merry Christmas, jt! I got a set of 3 different sizes of cookie dough
>> scoops, something I've wanted for a while.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> I hope they are easy to use. Cookie Dough scoops always look so

difficult
> for strength-challenged fingers.
> Let us know how you like them when you use them.
> Dee Dee

Actually I used the middle size to bake cookies yesterday and was very
impressed at how quickly one could put cookie dough on a baking sheet.
I've always had strong hands, but lately I've noticed thei tire easily and
get sore. Probably arthritis. The levers operate easily, though.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 9hrs 46mins
Those who can, do; those who can't, simulate.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Merry Christmas, Dee Dee! I'm sitting here eating a hunk of fresh
> gingerbread and drinking iced tea. If you like gingerbread, I'll be glad
> to post or e-mail the recipe to you. It's exceptional.

Wayne, could you send me that recipe? I don't use a spam guard, my
address is as it is posted (I have a well honed spam filter that does an
ample job).

I absolutely love gingerbread. The best I ever had came from some old
time village bakery like the Lincoln village in Illinois or something
back in the early 90's. It was so good, soft and heavy with ginger.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Merry Christmas, jt! I got a set of 3 different sizes of cookie dough
> scoops, something I've wanted for a while.

Sounds great. Hope it is a lot of fun for you.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Here is the Gingerbread recipe.

Turns out I hadn't read through the thread far enough. Thanks, Wayne.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 06:17:33p, jt august told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Here is the Gingerbread recipe.

> Turns out I hadn't read through the thread far enough. Thanks, Wayne.
>
> jt

I was just about to e-mail it to you, jt. Please try it as written first.
I must confess that I have used more ginger at times than specified. Bits
of candied ginger are a nice addition, too.

Enjoy!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 4hrs 16mins
Of course, a certain number of scientists *have* to go mad, just to
keep the tradition alive.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne, I've copied and saved. Thank you so much.
Sugar is better for me -- Dark brown sugar does not agree with me at all,
although the taste is mighty good.

I made the cookies I mentioned -- organic mix. DH ate most of them -- poor
guy is getting indigestion - I'm next, I suppose.
But next time I will add a few nuts on top or some chocolate nibs; they
were just too bland.

Thanks again.
Dee Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
> Here is the Gingerbread recipe. It's very spicy and really delightful.
> Note: I substitute 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar for the
> granulated
> sugar.
>

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Rich Spicy Gingerbread With Lemon Frosting
>
> Recipe By : Wayne Boatwright
> Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :1:15
> Categories : Cakes, Desserts

> Gingerbread
> 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter -- Melted
> 1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
> 1 cup Unsulphered Molasses
> 1 each Egg
> 2 1/4 Cups All-purpose Flour
> 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
> 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
> 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
> 1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
> 2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
> 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
> 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Coriander
> 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cardamon
> 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
> 1 Teaspoon Orange Zest
> 1 cup Boiling Water
>
> Lemon Frosting
> 1 Tablespoon Unsalted Butter -- Melted
> 1 1/2 Cups Confectioner's Sugar -- Approximately
> 3 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
> 1 Teaspoon Lemon Zest
>
> Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
>
> Combine all dry ingredients and orange zest in medium bowl and blend well
> with whisk. Set aside.
>
> In mixer bowl, combine melted butter, sugar and molasses. Beat on low
> speed
> until well combined.
>
> Add egg to mixture and beat on low speed until mixture is smooth.
>
> Add dry ingredients to mixer bowl alternatively with boiling boiling
> water,
> mixing until just combined.
>
> Bake in greased 9-inch square pan 45-50 minutes, or until firm to touch
> and
> toothpick inserted in middle of cake comes out clean. Cool to room
> temperature. NOTE: Do not open oven or check for doneness for the first
> 40
> minutes of baking. To do so may cause the center to slump.
>

> For frosting, combine melted butter and half of the confectioner's sugar.
> Begin beating on low speed while adding lemon juice. Add enough of the
> remaining confectioner's sugar to form a thin, very soft frosting. Spread
> evenly over gingerbread and allow to set before cutting.
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 25 Dec 2008 07:56:17p, Dee Randall told us...

> Wayne, I've copied and saved. Thank you so much.
> Sugar is better for me -- Dark brown sugar does not agree with me at
> all, although the taste is mighty good.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. The granulated sugar will be just
fine.

> I made the cookies I mentioned -- organic mix. DH ate most of them --
> poor guy is getting indigestion - I'm next, I suppose.
> But next time I will add a few nuts on top or some chocolate nibs;
> they were just too bland.

I always like bits of things in or on most cookies.

> Thanks again.
> Dee Dee

You're most welcome!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Christmas
Countdown till New Year's Eve
5dys 3hrs 27mins
So close, no matter how far... couldn't be much more from the
heart. Forever trusting who we are, and nothing else matters.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default gingerbread (was: Bittman's 45-minute turkey)

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 18:41:07 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

>Merry Christmas, Dee Dee! I'm sitting here eating a hunk of fresh
>gingerbread and drinking iced tea. If you like gingerbread, I'll be glad
>to post or e-mail the recipe to you. It's exceptional.

For those of you who love gingerbread, as does my wife, she just finished making
her second batch of Gingerbread Straws from the Washington Post's Xmas cookie
extravaganza. I'm not much of a ginger fan, but all our neighbors have been
raving about these, and even I find them enjoyable.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/r...rbread-straws/

My only complaint is that they take up valuable oven time that could be used to
make sugar cookies and shortbread. 8

And I do have a batch of Bittman's turkey confit just finishing up on the
induction hob in a few minutes...

-- Larry

Gingerbread Straws

The Washington Post, December 10, 2008

These are long on flavor, with a friendly calorie count. A pastry wheel with a
fluted edge will help make pretty and even sticks.
MAKE AHEAD: The dough can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or wrapped well and
frozen for up to 1 month. The baked straws can be stored in an airtight
container for up to 2 weeks.

Makes 56 cookies

Ingredients:

* 3 3/4 cups flour, plus more as needed
* 1 tablespoon ground ginger
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
* 3/4 cup molasses
* 1/4 cup water
* 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1 cup packed light or dark brown sugar
* 1/4 cup sugar, preferably coarse, for sprinkling

Directions:

Combine the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and baking soda in a
medium bowl.

Combine the molasses and water in a liquid measuring cup.

Combine the butter and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer or use a
hand-held mixer; beat on medium speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and
fluffy. Reduce the speed to low and add the molasses-water mixture; scrape down
the sides of the bowl. Add the flour mixture in increments, until a stiff dough
forms. If the dough is sticky, add up to 1/4 cup flour; mix well.

Divide the dough into quarters and form each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick
rectangle; each portion fits nicely in a pint-size resealable plastic food
storage bag. Or wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about 1 hour, until
fairly firm. (At this point, the dough can be refrigerated for up to 1 week or
frozen for up to 1 month.)

When ready to bake, position the oven racks on the upper and lower thirds of the
oven; preheat to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Liberally flour the work surface. Working with one portion at a time, roll the
dough out to a 9-by-7-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sugar,
using the rolling pin to press the sugar into the dough. Use a pastry wheel,
preferably with a fluted edge, to cut the dough into 14 sticks that are a
generous 1/2 inch wide and 7 inches long. Place them about 1/2 inch apart on the
baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining 3 portions of dough. Make sure to dust
off any visible flour from the surface of the unbaked cookies.

Bake for 10 minutes, then rotate the sheets from top to bottom and front to
back. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes or until the straws are fragrant and crisp.
Transfer the straws to a wire rack to cool completely.

Recipe Source:

Adaped from Pam Anderson’s "The Perfect Recipe for Losing Weight and Eating
Great" (Houghton Mifflin, 2008).

Ping: Wayne sf[_9_] General Cooking 1 04-10-2010 05:24 PM
PING: Wayne Peter-Lucas General Cooking 20 10-12-2008 05:05 AM
PING: Wayne, Om, et al. PeterL[_7_] General Cooking 8 02-12-2008 04:08 PM
15 Minute Turkey Chef's Salad Jenifer Milton Recipes (moderated) 0 07-11-2007 11:40 AM
Ping Wayne B. Bronwyn General Cooking 7 24-09-2006 07:37 PM