Old 27-12-2008, 05:12 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Linen and No More things

In article ,
"Bertie Doe" wrote:

It has the words 'Linen Union Glass Cloth' written in large
friendly letters.

"And it has the words, 'Don't Panic,' in largre, freidnly letters on the
cover." *

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

jt

* Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

Old 27-12-2008, 10:05 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message

I think the idea is to make "troughs" in the cloth for the dough to
rest in and maintain its shape. Julia Child did a show where she put
the dough in some kind of cloth like a dishtowel and made a sling which
she suspended by closing the top in a drawer. I can't find a
reference or clip of that however.

A description of her process is in Mastering the art of French
Cooking, vol 2 which has been posted at
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/French_Bread.htm

good luck.

Thanks for that Del, one day I'll give baguettes a try. Although using AP
flour means you need to consume them pretty quick.

"jt august" wrote in message
"Bertie Doe" wrote:

It has the words 'Linen Union Glass Cloth' written in large
friendly letters.

"And it has the words, 'Don't Panic,' in largre, freidnly letters on the
cover." *

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

jt

* Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

Next to the cabinet with the sign 'Beware of the Leopard' I need to put up a
sign with the New Year resolution saying 'no more spending on baking
accessories'. Today I ordered a couple of linen lined, dough proving baskets
on eBay. I'm blaming Chemiker for starting this ......linen thread -
http://preview.tinyurl.com/8yepqm