Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Linen and No More things

"Moka Java" wrote in message
> jt august wrote:

> Never had a Papa John's pizza but John's on Bleeker St. is a personal
> favorite. I don't have the talent to toss a pizza but stretching, using
> the weight of the dough, works fine. The recipe I use has olive oil in
> it. I prefer a thin, crisp crust.

Yep, I'm with you on that, when I used to buy them from the s/mkt, I much
preferred the thin crispy crust.

When I try one at home, I assume I use half the recipe and use a roller, to
achieve thin crispy. Would a tray of water help?

> Speaking of the commissary concept, I remember the old days when tBell
> made their taco meat from ground meat and spice premix. You'd go into a
> store and an employee was at a kettle, stirring the meat with a stirring
> attachment mounted on a electric drill. I wonder if that might have had
> some influence on Alton Brown's Grind-o-matic 5000 Pepper Mill?

I'm a great believer in kitchen aids, as long as the usage justifies the
cost and space. For years, we use a Kenwood multi-processor for whisking and
shredding. We don't do enough bread or cake-making to warrant buying a new
mixer.

The heating element on my ancient breadmaker failed last year. This was good
news, as I am throwing much more interesting loaves in the oven. I use the
'dough only' cycle for just 3 minutes, then finish the dough on the
countertop. Last week the paddle bearing started to make strange noises
(heck - it's 9 yrs old). I ordered a Kenwood Chef 701A from eBay at £41/$60
and it should arrive tomorrow. It's equal to a mid-range Kitchenaid. It's a
large trader with nearly 100% feedback and it's described as in good running
order. IIRC they started the 701A model in the 80's, but if it last another
10 years, I'll be pleased -

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Bertie Doe wrote:
> "Moka Java" wrote in message
>
>> Never had a Papa John's pizza but John's on Bleeker St. is a personal
>> favorite. I don't have the talent to toss a pizza but stretching, using
>> the weight of the dough, works fine. The recipe I use has olive oil in
>> it. I prefer a thin, crisp crust.

> Yep, I'm with you on that, when I used to buy them from the s/mkt, I much
> preferred the thin crispy crust.
>
> When I try one at home, I assume I use half the recipe and use a roller, to
> achieve thin crispy. Would a tray of water help?

Tray of water? Where? IIRC John's on Bleeker has a coal fired oven at
something like 700f+. The raw dough is slid on to the very hot clay
tile floor of the oven and is done in minutes. Typical NYC pizza is
stretched, not rolled. The dough is springy, it laughs at rolling pins.
JTs crust, with the 2nd rise after rolling, is bread like. Sicilian
style pizzas are stretched into rectangular pans and given a 2nd rise.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> When I try one at home, I assume I use half the recipe and use a roller, to
> achieve thin crispy. Would a tray of water help?

No. Induced humidity would soften the crust. Thin and crispy calls for
a pizza stone. And high temperature, 450 F or higher (here in stl,
where stl style pizza is wafer thin, the most popular chain, Imo's, is
set at 500 F).

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Moka Java > wrote:

> Tray of water? Where? IIRC John's on Bleeker has a coal fired oven at
> something like 700f+. The raw dough is slid on to the very hot clay
> tile floor of the oven and is done in minutes. Typical NYC pizza is
> stretched, not rolled. The dough is springy, it laughs at rolling pins.
> JTs crust, with the 2nd rise after rolling, is bread like. Sicilian
> style pizzas are stretched into rectangular pans and given a 2nd rise.

Chicago style also gets a second rise, and then gets par baked to kill
the yeast. Then when baked at 475 to 550 (pending the recipe or pizza
parlour you are following), the risen par baked crust will then cook
through to a crispy, pastry like consistency without further rising.

Pizza Hut's style of thin crust is lower in yeast, and screen cooked in
their convection style conveyor ovens.

If anyone remembers old Godfathers Pizza (another one no longer in MO
that I loved), they were flour and yeast pre-mix, heavy yeast ratio and
short proofed (30-90 minutes).

I tend to love a strong yeast flavor in my pizza crusts. I also love
warm, yeasty bread.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bertie Doe" > wrote in message
:

>> Never had a Papa John's pizza but John's on Bleeker St. is a personal
>> favorite. I don't have the talent to toss a pizza but stretching, using
>> the weight of the dough, works fine. The recipe I use has olive oil in
>> it. I prefer a thin, crisp crust.

> Yep, I'm with you on that, when I used to buy them from the s/mkt, I much
> preferred the thin crispy crust.
>
> When I try one at home, I assume I use half the recipe and use a roller,
> to achieve thin crispy.

What is a roller? Do you mean a docker, or a rolling pin, or a set of
Italian pasta rollers (mechanical or electrical)?

Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote in

> If anyone remembers old Godfathers Pizza (another one no
> longer in MO that I loved), they were flour and yeast pre-mix,
> heavy yeast ratio and short proofed (30-90 minutes).

My favorite. Sadly none left in my town. :-(

http://www.godfathers.com/menu/pizza/
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Dee Randall" > wrote:

> "Bertie Doe" > wrote in message
> :
> >
> >> Never had a Papa John's pizza but John's on Bleeker St. is a personal
> >> favorite. I don't have the talent to toss a pizza but stretching, using
> >> the weight of the dough, works fine. The recipe I use has olive oil in
> >> it. I prefer a thin, crisp crust.

> > Yep, I'm with you on that, when I used to buy them from the s/mkt, I much
> > preferred the thin crispy crust.
> >
> > When I try one at home, I assume I use half the recipe and use a roller,
> > to achieve thin crispy.

> What is a roller? Do you mean a docker, or a rolling pin, or a set of
> Italian pasta rollers (mechanical or electrical)?
>
> Thanks.
> Dee Dee

In industrial pizza roller is a mechanism with two large rolling pins
mounted at the end of a feed slide that evenly roll the dough to a
graduated thickness. Most machines tend to have multiple roller sets,
with one set to take a dough ball to a manageable thickness, and then
one or two more sets to thin the crust down to the requisite thickness.

These machines produce a uniform, smooth skin that can then be trimmed
to the desired shape. The concept equates to a pasta roller, but much
larger.

Here is a link to one to see (hope the url doesn't break):

http://www.pizzaequipmentworld.com/page1.html

And for the bargain price of only $3190.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Thanks mj, jt, dd for the pizza recommendations. So the spritsing with water
is to soften the dough. Yes my ref to roller, was to a rolling pin. I
suppose, if you made the dough moist enough, it can be rolled thin, but the
extra moisture will give you a soft dough not a crisp one.

Has anyone made a sourdough pizza? obviously too slow for commercial
purposes.

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> suppose, if you made the dough moist enough, it can be rolled thin, but the
> extra moisture will give you a soft dough not a crisp one.

To the contrary, as when you get to a certain point in thinness, the
moisture escapes quick enough to make the crust crispy. This, of
course, only works on screen cooked or stone cooked pizzas. If it is in
a pizza pan, the pan seals in the moisture.

jt

Cooking: Is it art, or is it science?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Luke > wrote:

> My favorite. Sadly none left in my town. :-(
>
> http://www.godfathers.com/menu/pizza/

Luke, I sent an e-mail to Godfathers asking them to send me a list of
their stores. If you would like a copy (if I get a response), e-mail me
and I will forward any reply I get.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
jt august > wrote:

> I need to check up on LC (they just opened a store near
> me), but I think they make their crust in house from dry pre-mix.

Just got back from the Little Caesars that just opened near me, and I
asked. They make their dough and sauce in house. The dough is flour,
water and yeast premix. The sauce is canned tomato (not sure what
type), and spice premix.

So there is at least one national chain that makes dough in house,
effectively from scratch.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <
> "Bertie Doe" < wrote:

>> suppose, if you made the dough moist enough, it can be rolled thin, but
>> the
>> extra moisture will give you a soft dough not a crisp one.

> To the contrary, as when you get to a certain point in thinness, the
> moisture escapes quick enough to make the crust crispy. This, of
> course, only works on screen cooked or stone cooked pizzas. If it is in
> a pizza pan, the pan seals in the moisture.
>
> jt

I'll give it a try on my new pizza (clay) stone. No basil sadly, the
supermarket assistant said they'd closed this section down, to make way for
festive items. Fair enough, it can wait till the New Year.

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bertie Doe" < wrote in message

> "jt august" < wrote in message
>> In article <
>> "Bertie Doe" < wrote:

>>> suppose, if you made the dough moist enough, it can be rolled thin, but
>>> the
>>> extra moisture will give you a soft dough not a crisp one.

>> To the contrary, as when you get to a certain point in thinness, the
>> moisture escapes quick enough to make the crust crispy. This, of
>> course, only works on screen cooked or stone cooked pizzas. If it is in
>> a pizza pan, the pan seals in the moisture.
>>
>> jt

> I'll give it a try on my new pizza (clay) stone. No basil sadly, the
> supermarket assistant said they'd closed this section down, to make way
> for festive items. Fair enough, it can wait till the New Year.

Just spotted some pizza tips on alt.bread.recipes
http://preview.tinyurl.com/8v2ere
there's a reference to Jeff Verasano's Pizza Page, which has some pizzas
done in 1min 40sec - I know our stove doesn't get that hot -
See Jeff Varasano's pizza page. http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> I'll give it a try on my new pizza (clay) stone. No basil sadly, the
> supermarket assistant said they'd closed this section down, to make way for
> festive items. Fair enough, it can wait till the New Year.

Where are you? I'm in St. Louis, and all our major grocers carry fresh
herbs in those plastic blister packs. Usually near the fresh greens and
arugula.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <
> "Bertie Doe" < wrote:
>
>> I'll give it a try on my new pizza (clay) stone. No basil sadly, the
>> supermarket assistant said they'd closed this section down, to make way
>> for
>> festive items. Fair enough, it can wait till the New Year.

> Where are you? I'm in St. Louis, and all our major grocers carry fresh
> herbs in those plastic blister packs. Usually near the fresh greens and
> arugula.
>
> jt

About 30 miles west of Plymouth in the uk. The local village is small,
therefore the s/mkt is small. It was Safeway's uk but was bought up by
Morrison's about 3 years ago. About 5 miles away is a larger Tesco, but the
drive is not worth the hassle, even though they have a wider range of goods.

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august > wrote in
:

> In article
> >,
> Luke > wrote:
>
>> My favorite. Sadly none left in my town. :-(
>>
>> http://www.godfathers.com/menu/pizza/

> Luke, I sent an e-mail to Godfathers asking them to send me a
> list of their stores. If you would like a copy (if I get a
> response), e-mail me and I will forward any reply I get.
>
> jt

Thanks JT thats a very nice offer. But I've been 'following'
their Store Locator here http://www.godfathers.com/store_locator/
for a few years and our state has lost stores. :-(

Thank you though! I sure do miss those pizza's. They must have
weighed 10# each!! LOL

Posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:
> In article >,
> jt august > wrote:
>
>> I need to check up on LC (they just opened a store near
>> me), but I think they make their crust in house from dry pre-mix.

> Just got back from the Little Caesars that just opened near me, and I
> asked. They make their dough and sauce in house. The dough is flour,
> water and yeast premix. The sauce is canned tomato (not sure what
> type), and spice premix.
>
> So there is at least one national chain that makes dough in house,
> effectively from scratch.
>
> jt

There are chain pizza shops around here and they must do business but
the only reason I can figure is delivery and coupons. The locally owned
pizzerias blow the chains away on the taste and texture spectrum.

Dessert pizza

Use your favorite pizza dough but thin and crispy is best

For a 12" pie:

Peel, core and 1/2" cube any firm apple of your choice, I like Galas.
Saute apple in a small amount of canola or peanut oil until the apple
starts to soften and give up juice. Add 3-4 tbsp. of raspberry
preserves and stir until melted. Add a few shots of good balsamic
vinegar and a quick dusting of nutmeg or grains of paradise or whatever
else you might think interesting. Slice 4 or so oz. of chilled brie
about 1/8" thick. Spread apple mixture on the (tossed, stretched or
rolled) dough, arrange brie slices and bake. (If your pizza dough is
slow baking you might want to precook the crust a few minutes before
adding the cheese.) When the cheese is bubbly and the pizza about 1
minute from finished sprinkle a good sized handful of chopped walnuts
over the pizza. Remove from oven, slice, serve and accept compliments.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun 21 Dec 2008 05:16:31a, Bertie Doe told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> On Thu 18 Dec 2008 04:14:35a, Bertie Doe told us...
>>
>>> Hi Dee, JT and Wayne.
>>>
>>> I wonder if I can pick your collective on things linen. I've just
>>> received a couple of bread books from Amazon used re-sellers. The
>>> chef/authors suggest using linen for proofing sourdough, although you
>>> can use cling.
>>>
>>> The local village 'linen' shoppe, has loadsa brightly coloured table
>>> napkins, tea towels etc, kinda boutique-style, with prices to match.
>>> There are a couple of linenn shops in the big city, but what should I
>>> be asking for? I guess most will suggest 'non-dyed heavy duty linen'.
>>> I'd be surprised if non-dyed is available, but the question is, does
>>> this matter, if you're baking at 400F/200C?
>>>
>>> Bertie
>>>

>> My first inclination would be going to a fabric store where they sell
>> fabric by the yard. There are professional cloths avaialble, but
>> they're more expensive than what I would want to invest.
>>

> The problem with buying cheap off-cuts of 'linen' from a market stall,
> is the common use the words 'bed linen' and bed linen is probably a
> cotton based material or a mix of cotton and synthetic and will stick to
> the dough. The trader doesn't realise that the linen on the stall, isn't
> vegetable fibres.
>
> The answer might be to find the Uk version of KA Kitchenware, but with
> shipping, these are going to be hellish expensive.

I wasn't suggesting going to a "market stall". Perhaps there are no fabric
shops where you live. In the US there are several major fabric store
chains, as well as independent stores, where the fiber content of their
fabrics is clearly marked. It's easy to buy fabrics that are marked 100%
linen.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Sunday, 12(XII)/21(XXI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Fourth Sunday of Advent
Countdown till Christmas Day
3dys 4hrs 16mins
It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend -- Deluzy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Bertie Doe wrote:

> The problem with buying cheap off-cuts of 'linen' from a market stall, is
> the common use the words 'bed linen' and bed linen is probably a cotton
> based material or a mix of cotton and synthetic and will stick to the dough.
> The trader doesn't realise that the linen on the stall, isn't vegetable
> fibres.
>
> The answer might be to find the Uk version of KA Kitchenware, but with
> shipping, these are going to be hellish expensive.

http://www.atmlabel.com/_py-Linen-Fa...-15-210-0-0-0/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> About 30 miles west of Plymouth in the uk.

Ah, so we're on opposite sides of the Pond. I now understand. I also
have to say that I really want to visit your country. Someday, perhaps.
Have to settle for Torchwood and Doctor Who for now.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"S Viemeister" <wrote in message
> Bertie Doe wrote:
>

>> The answer might be to find the Uk version of KA Kitchenware, but with
>> shipping, these are going to be hellish expensive.
>>

> http://www.atmlabel.com/_py-Linen-Fa...-15-210-0-0-0/

Thanks Sheila, saved to favs. Mind you, their minimum postage and handling
charge of £7.10p suggests their market is for large orders.

Bertie

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:19:50 -0000, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:

>About 30 miles west of Plymouth in the uk....

Ah, Cornwall -- almost as beautiful as Wales! 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" < wrote in message
> In article <
> "Bertie Doe" <wrote:
>
>> About 30 miles west of Plymouth in the uk.

> Ah, so we're on opposite sides of the Pond. I now understand. I also
> have to say that I really want to visit your country. Someday, perhaps.
> Have to settle for Torchwood and Doctor Who for now.
>
> jt

Remember to visit during the dry season - can't remember when the last one
was -

BD

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" < wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:19:50 -0000, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
>
>>About 30 miles west of Plymouth in the uk....

> Ah, Cornwall -- almost as beautiful as Wales! 8
>
> -- Larry

My father was born in Porth Rhondda. Talk about steep hills!! You needed to
be a mountain goat or a sheep Larry.

BD

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 22 Dec 2008 07:26:24a, Bertie Doe told us...

> "S Viemeister" <wrote in message
>> Bertie Doe wrote:
>>

>>> The answer might be to find the Uk version of KA Kitchenware, but with
>>> shipping, these are going to be hellish expensive.
>>>

>> http://www.atmlabel.com/_py-Linen-Fa...re-Linen-Fabri
>> c-heavyweight-Colour-White/a-80288-15-210-0-0-0/
>>

> Thanks Sheila, saved to favs. Mind you, their minimum postage and
> handling charge of £7.10p suggests their market is for large orders.
>
> Bertie

I have bought a fair number of items online where the shipping far
outweighed the cost of the product, just because it was *exactly * the
product I needed and could find nowhere else. That's something to be
considered, especially if you're only ordering once or very infrequently.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Monday, 12(XII)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
2dys 8hrs 28mins
The trouble with being the boss is that there's no satisfaction in
stealing office supplies.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
> I have bought a fair number of items online where the shipping far
> outweighed the cost of the product, just because it was *exactly * the
> product I needed and could find nowhere else. That's something to be
> considered, especially if you're only ordering once or very infrequently.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Same here within the last year. It took a while for me to accept the heavy
shipping charges for a single, almost-weightless item, but it is getting
harder and harder to find the product one wants/needs at a store.

I have some items that I have been putting off buying because the company
shipped previously without discussing the shipping charges with me, even
though I requested it -- my first-time order. I had asked that they not put
the order in for shipment until they told me the shipping charges, which
they forgot to do. They also charged me shipping again for an item that was
back-ordered when they told me they would not. I love their products, and
the people are nice, but shipping charges is not one of the guessing games I
prefer to indulge my time.

It's a game of bite-the-bullet on some products.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Dec 19, 4:00*pm, jt august > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> > A little OT: *I'd be ever so delighted if you could share your airtight
> > plastic bag pizza dough recipe.

> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...thread/thread/...
> a1dc7a0c14bd?hl=en&q=group:rec.food.recipes+author :jt+author:august
>

> jt

Dear jt,
Thanks for the recipe. I was not able to use the link but
was able to retrieve it from going to
http://groups.google/com and
searching for
group:rec.food.recipes author:jt author:august pizza
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:15:03 -0000, "Bertie Doe" > wrote:

>"pltrgyst" < wrote in message
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:19:50 -0000, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
>>
>>>About 30 miles west of Plymouth in the uk....

>> Ah, Cornwall -- almost as beautiful as Wales! 8
>>
>> -- Larry

>My father was born in Porth Rhondda. Talk about steep hills!! You needed to
>be a mountain goat or a sheep Larry.

Small world -- my mother was born in Pontypridd, about four miles away. 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 22 Dec 2008 09:35:30p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message >
>> I have bought a fair number of items online where the shipping far
>> outweighed the cost of the product, just because it was *exactly * the
>> product I needed and could find nowhere else. That's something to be
>> considered, especially if you're only ordering once or very
>> infrequently.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Same here within the last year. It took a while for me to accept the
> heavy shipping charges for a single, almost-weightless item, but it is
> getting harder and harder to find the product one wants/needs at a
> store.

Indeed it is.

> I have some items that I have been putting off buying because the
> company shipped previously without discussing the shipping charges with
> me, even though I requested it -- my first-time order. I had asked that
> they not put the order in for shipment until they told me the shipping
> charges, which they forgot to do. They also charged me shipping again
> for an item that was back-ordered when they told me they would not. I
> love their products, and the people are nice, but shipping charges is
> not one of the guessing games I prefer to indulge my time.

I've been lucky in that regard, but I have a friend who has had an ongoing
dispute with a company she regularly deals with over just the same issues.
It's frustrating.

> It's a game of bite-the-bullet on some products.
> Dee Dee

Another thing I try to avoid is buying from an online store that happens to
have any type of real store in my local state, because not only can they
charge their over-the-top shipping charges, but also our 8% sales tax. At
least, to a point, if I can save on not paying the tax, it does help
rationalize paying the high shipping. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Tuesday, 12(XII)/23(XXIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
1dys 10hrs 14mins
Life is a tragedy in close up, but a comedy in long-shot - C. Chaplin

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Luke > wrote:

> jt august > wrote in
> :
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Luke > wrote:
> >
> >> My favorite. Sadly none left in my town. :-(
> >>
> >> http://www.godfathers.com/menu/pizza/

> > Luke, I sent an e-mail to Godfathers asking them to send me a
> > list of their stores. If you would like a copy (if I get a
> > response), e-mail me and I will forward any reply I get.
> >
> > jt

> Thanks JT thats a very nice offer. But I've been 'following'
> their Store Locator here http://www.godfathers.com/store_locator/
> for a few years and our state has lost stores. :-(
>
> Thank you though! I sure do miss those pizza's. They must have
> weighed 10# each!! LOL

Luke, I got the list, which I can forward to you in text form if you're
interested. For me, it was a nice surprise because a Godfather's
Express just opened in the last month within a few miles of me that
didn't show on the store finder when I tried it last week.

jt

Experienced Member

The economy is so stressed, I can't believe how many big businesses are going out of business. I used to love Linens and Things years ago before I had kids and watched prices. I purchased my French press there and still use it to make my favorite Kona coffee. Even gourmet shops are closing like there is no tomorrow and I can only find Kona blends locally. Now I order from https://konaluna.com to get pure Kona coffee delivered right to my door. I also wind up doing a lot of my other shopping online now, including my linens. Found great sheets recently at Overstock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Randall View Post
A week or so ago, there were guys standing on the corner with signs
suggesting there were 40% off at Linens... We stopped in -- I didn't see
anything but the same ole stuff, but at 20% off, which I think that is what
you can usually get items for if you look in the coupons.

Today there being only 8 days left and seeing a sign for 70% off, we decided
to go in. Now just where in the h--- did all the stuff go to? There was
hardly a thing in the store -- mostly blankets and coverlets, A couple (7)
of odd-ball kitchen pans and nothing at all on the wall of Oxo things.

I'm still wondering how they got all of that stuff out of there even at 70%
.... did the fairies come in at night?

I bought a Krups 12 cup coffee pitcher replacement, because I like them for
a pot of tea ... light in weight and easy to pour. Still, at that, it was
$10.

The clerk charged twice to the lady ahead of us for a comforter and forgot
to deduct the overcharge. When the customer came back and said that she
noticed she had been charged for it, the clerk laughed out loud and said,
"Oh, I do that ALL THE TIME." DH and I got a big laugh out of that one.

Even at that I'll miss Linen 'n Things, even though a brand name comforter I
bought was $169 -- or was it $199 -- when I found the exact one at Costco
for $49. I bought my 'first' Aerogarden there -- it wasn't me that made
this company go broke. I'm wondering, will the town bring in Bed, Breakfast
and Beyond? :-)))

Dee Dee
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sky" wrote in message
> Pete C. wrote:
>>
>> Bertie Doe wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Dee, JT and Wayne.
>> >
>> > I wonder if I can pick your collective on things linen. I've just
>> > received a
>> > couple of bread books from Amazon used re-sellers. The chef/authors
>> > suggest
>> > using linen for proofing sourdough, although you can use cling.
>> >
>> > The local village 'linen' shoppe, has loadsa brightly coloured table
>> > napkins, tea towels etc, kinda boutique-style, with prices to match.
>> > There
>> > are a couple of linen shops in the big city, but what should I be
>> > asking
>> > for? I guess most will suggest 'non-dyed heavy duty linen'. I'd be
>> > surprised
>> > if non-dyed is available, but the question is, does this matter, if
>> > you're
>> > baking at 400F/200C?
>> >
>> > Bertie

>> Fabric store for bulk fabric, not a "linen" store for finished goods.

> Perhaps look for undyed 'canvas' at the fabric shop??? IIRC, linen is
> made from flax.
>
> Sky

Looks like there's no need for me to go online for dough proofing linen. I
was in a local shop, that specialises in kitchen equipment. The assistant
showed me lots of 100% cotton cloths and towels. I said I need linen (flax)
as dough sticks to cotton.

"Agh, you mean 'glass linen'" said she. They're 61% linen flax and 39%
cotton and measured 31" x 19". They are made in the Czech Republic and cost
£3 / $4.40 each. Well I bought one, cut it into two pieces and tried it on
some fairly moist dough starter I had in the fridge and it works!!

Obviously you need to dust the contact surface of the linen with some dry
flour first. It has the words 'Linen Union Glass Cloth' written in large
friendly letters. I guess the are handy for drying bar glass and doesn't
leave smears of fluff behind.

They are stiffer than the normal kitchen 'drying towel' but I guess not as
stiff as the couches mentioned by Dee, for baking baguettes. I wonder if
there are any combustion temperature figures on the net, for natural fibers?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bertie Doe" > wrote in message

> "Sky" wrote in message
>> Pete C. wrote:

>>> Fabric store for bulk fabric, not a "linen" store for finished
>>> goods.

>> Perhaps look for undyed 'canvas' at the fabric shop??? IIRC, linen
>> is
>> made from flax.
>>
>> Sky

> Looks like there's no need for me to go online for dough proofing
> linen. I was in a local shop, that specialises in kitchen equipment.
> The assistant showed me lots of 100% cotton cloths and towels. I
> said I need linen (flax) as dough sticks to cotton.
>
> "Agh, you mean 'glass linen'" said she. They're 61% linen flax and
> 39% cotton and measured 31" x 19". They are made in the Czech
> Republic and cost £3 / $4.40 each. Well I bought one, cut it into
> two pieces and tried it on some fairly moist dough starter I had in
> the fridge and it works!!
>
> Obviously you need to dust the contact surface of the linen with
> some dry flour first. It has the words 'Linen Union Glass Cloth'
> written in large friendly letters. I guess the are handy for drying
> bar glass and doesn't leave smears of fluff behind.
>
> They are stiffer than the normal kitchen 'drying towel' but I guess
> not as stiff as the couches mentioned by Dee, for baking baguettes.
> I wonder if there are any combustion temperature figures on the net,
> for natural fibers?

I don't think you put the cloth things in the oven. You roll the
dough off onto a peel and slide it onto the stone in the oven, or you
roll it off onto parchement on a sheet pan.

del

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Del Cecchi" wrote in message

> "Bertie Doe" wrote in message

>>> Perhaps look for undyed 'canvas' at the fabric shop??? IIRC, linen is
>>> made from flax.
>>>
>>> Sky

>> Looks like there's no need for me to go online for dough proofing linen.
>> I was in a local shop, that specialises in kitchen equipment. The
>> assistant showed me lots of 100% cotton cloths and towels. I said I need
>> linen (flax) as dough sticks to cotton.
>>
>> "Agh, you mean 'glass linen'" said she. They're 61% linen flax and 39%
>> cotton and measured 31" x 19". They are made in the Czech Republic and
>> cost £3 / $4.40 each. Well I bought one, cut it into two pieces and tried
>> it on some fairly moist dough starter I had in the fridge and it works!!
>>
>> Obviously you need to dust the contact surface of the linen with some dry
>> flour first. It has the words 'Linen Union Glass Cloth' written in large
>> friendly letters. I guess the are handy for drying bar glass and doesn't
>> leave smears of fluff behind.
>>
>> They are stiffer than the normal kitchen 'drying towel' but I guess not
>> as stiff as the couches mentioned by Dee, for baking baguettes. I wonder
>> if there are any combustion temperature figures on the net, for natural
>> fibers?
>>

> I don't think you put the cloth things in the oven. You roll the dough
> off onto a peel and slide it onto the stone in the oven, or you roll it
> off onto parchement on a sheet pan.
>
> del

Agh thanks del, I guess linen baked at 450F/225C would soon burst into
flames. I haven't tried making baguettes yet, I assume the folds in the
linen, stop the expanding dough, from sticking together?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bertie Doe" > wrote in message

> "Del Cecchi" wrote in message

>>> Looks like there's no need for me to go online for dough proofing
>>> linen. I was in a local shop, that specialises in kitchen
>>> equipment. The assistant showed me lots of 100% cotton cloths and
>>> towels. I said I need linen (flax) as dough sticks to cotton.
>>>
>>> "Agh, you mean 'glass linen'" said she. They're 61% linen flax and
>>> 39% cotton and measured 31" x 19". They are made in the Czech
>>> Republic and cost £3 / $4.40 each. Well I bought one, cut it into
>>> two pieces and tried it on some fairly moist dough starter I had
>>> in the fridge and it works!!
>>>
>>> Obviously you need to dust the contact surface of the linen with
>>> some dry flour first. It has the words 'Linen Union Glass Cloth'
>>> written in large friendly letters. I guess the are handy for
>>> drying bar glass and doesn't leave smears of fluff behind.
>>>
>>> They are stiffer than the normal kitchen 'drying towel' but I
>>> guess not as stiff as the couches mentioned by Dee, for baking
>>> baguettes. I wonder if there are any combustion temperature
>>> figures on the net, for natural fibers?
>>>

>> I don't think you put the cloth things in the oven. You roll the
>> dough off onto a peel and slide it onto the stone in the oven, or
>> you roll it off onto parchement on a sheet pan.
>>
>> del
>>>

> Agh thanks del, I guess linen baked at 450F/225C would soon burst
> into flames. I haven't tried making baguettes yet, I assume the
> folds in the linen, stop the expanding dough, from sticking
> together?

I think the idea is to make "troughs" in the cloth for the dough to
rest in and maintain its shape. Julia Child did a show where she put
the dough in some kind of cloth like a dishtowl and made a sling which
she suspended by closing the top in a drawer. I can't find a
reference or clip of that however.

A description of her process is in Mastering the art of French
Cooking, vol 2 which has been posted at
http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/French_Bread.htm

good luck.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Bertie Doe" > wrote:

> It has the words 'Linen Union Glass Cloth' written in large
> friendly letters.

"And it has the words, 'Don't Panic,' in largre, freidnly letters on the
cover." *

I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

jt

* Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Del Cecchi" < wrote in message

> I think the idea is to make "troughs" in the cloth for the dough to
> rest in and maintain its shape. Julia Child did a show where she put
> the dough in some kind of cloth like a dishtowel and made a sling which
> she suspended by closing the top in a drawer. I can't find a
> reference or clip of that however.
>
> A description of her process is in Mastering the art of French
> Cooking, vol 2 which has been posted at
> http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/recipes/French_Bread.htm
>
> good luck.

Thanks for that Del, one day I'll give baguettes a try. Although using AP
flour means you need to consume them pretty quick.

"jt august" < wrote in message
> "Bertie Doe" < wrote:
>
>> It has the words 'Linen Union Glass Cloth' written in large
>> friendly letters.

> "And it has the words, 'Don't Panic,' in largre, freidnly letters on the
> cover." *
>
> I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.
>
> jt
>
> * Douglas Adams, "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

Next to the cabinet with the sign 'Beware of the Leopard' I need to put up a
sign with the New Year resolution saying 'no more spending on baking
accessories'. Today I ordered a couple of linen lined, dough proving baskets
on eBay. I'm blaming Chemiker for starting this ......linen thread -
http://preview.tinyurl.com/8yepqm