Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default aluminum pressure cooker, $20 ( was 50) - how good?

I saw a stack of these in a dept. store - Cook's Tools was the brand -
originally marked $50. How good could they be? II've never owned one
and was tempted.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> I saw a stack of these in a dept. store - Cook's Tools was the brand -
>>> originally marked $50. How good could they be? II've never owned one
>>> and was tempted.

>> Aluminium is softer than stainless, and acidic foods can pick up an
>> off taste. I have a sturdy 2nd generation stainless (Fagor, bought at
>> Costco)with encapsulated base, and love it. I did NOT like my
>> mother's aluminium one.

> My experience is just the opposite. I had a stainless pressure cooker
> and everything seemed to stick to the bottom of it. I grew up with Mom's
> aluminum Prestos, which did pit some, but did not give anything a bad
> taste.
>
> I had to replace the stainless one (Cuisinart) and I went to WalMart and
> bought an aluminum Presto. This newer aluminum doesn't seem to react the
> same way as Mom's.
>
> I am much, much happier with the aluminum el-cheapo Presto than I was
> with the fancy, expensive Cuisinart.
>
> BTW, I've been using pressure cookers for 50 years.

I haven't seen the Cuisinart ones, but some of their stuff seems
over-priced for what it is.
The Fagor is excellent, should you ever want to give stainless another
chance! I just used it to make a thick orange lentil soup - no sticking
at all, and thick soups like that are notorious for sticking to the
bottom of pans.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed 10 Dec 2008 02:28:27p, Janet Wilder told us...

> S Viemeister wrote:
>> wrote:
>>> I saw a stack of these in a dept. store - Cook's Tools was the brand -
>>> originally marked $50. How good could they be? II've never owned one
>>> and was tempted.

>> Aluminium is softer than stainless, and acidic foods can pick up an off
>> taste. I have a sturdy 2nd generation stainless (Fagor, bought at
>> Costco)with encapsulated base, and love it. I did NOT like my mother's
>> aluminium one.

> My experience is just the opposite. I had a stainless pressure cooker
> and everything seemed to stick to the bottom of it. I grew up with Mom's
> aluminum Prestos, which did pit some, but did not give anything a bad
> taste.
>
> I had to replace the stainless one (Cuisinart) and I went to WalMart and
> bought an aluminum Presto. This newer aluminum doesn't seem to react the
> same way as Mom's.
>
> I am much, much happier with the aluminum el-cheapo Presto than I was
> with the fancy, expensive Cuisinart.
>
> BTW, I've been using pressure cookers for 50 years.

How can that be, Janet? You're only 47!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Wednesday, 12(XII)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
2wks 5hrs 33mins
Dogs come when called; cats have unlisted numbers!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

S Viemeister wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> S Viemeister wrote:
>>>
>>> Aluminium is softer than stainless, and acidic foods can pick up an
>>> off taste. I have a sturdy 2nd generation stainless (Fagor, bought
>>> at Costco)with encapsulated base, and love it. I did NOT like my
>>> mother's aluminium one.

>> My experience is just the opposite. I had a stainless pressure cooker
>> and everything seemed to stick to the bottom of it. I grew up with
>> Mom's aluminum Prestos, which did pit some, but did not give anything
>> a bad taste.
>>
>> I had to replace the stainless one (Cuisinart) and I went to WalMart
>> and bought an aluminum Presto. This newer aluminum doesn't seem to
>> react the same way as Mom's.
>>
>> I am much, much happier with the aluminum el-cheapo Presto than I was
>> with the fancy, expensive Cuisinart.
>>
>> BTW, I've been using pressure cookers for 50 years.
>>

> I haven't seen the Cuisinart ones, but some of their stuff seems
> over-priced for what it is.
> The Fagor is excellent, should you ever want to give stainless another
> chance! I just used it to make a thick orange lentil soup - no sticking
> at all, and thick soups like that are notorious for sticking to the
> bottom of pans.

Lentil soup sticking to the bottom was one of the main problems with the
stainless one.

--
Janet Wilder
Bad spelling. Bad punctuation
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Janet Wilder wrote:
> S Viemeister wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> My experience is just the opposite. I had a stainless pressure cooker
>>> and everything seemed to stick to the bottom of it. I grew up with
>>> Mom's aluminum Prestos, which did pit some, but did not give anything
>>> a bad taste.
>>>
>>> I had to replace the stainless one (Cuisinart) and I went to WalMart
>>> and bought an aluminum Presto. This newer aluminum doesn't seem to
>>> react the same way as Mom's.
>>>
>>> I am much, much happier with the aluminum el-cheapo Presto than I was
>>> with the fancy, expensive Cuisinart.
>>>
>>> BTW, I've been using pressure cookers for 50 years.
>>>

>> I haven't seen the Cuisinart ones, but some of their stuff seems
>> over-priced for what it is.
>> The Fagor is excellent, should you ever want to give stainless another
>> chance! I just used it to make a thick orange lentil soup - no
>> sticking at all, and thick soups like that are notorious for sticking
>> to the bottom of pans.

> Lentil soup sticking to the bottom was one of the main problems with the
> stainless one.

I haven't had any sticking with potato-leek soup, either.
I _really_ like my Fagor! The encapsulated bottom is good and heavy,
and distributes heat well. I've used it on gas, electric coil, and on
an Aga-type cooker.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 11 Dec 2008 06:58:25p, Janet Wilder told us...

-

one

off

mother's
>>> My experience is just the opposite. I had a stainless pressure cooker
>>> and everything seemed to stick to the bottom of it. I grew up with

Mom's
>>> aluminum Prestos, which did pit some, but did not give anything a bad
>>> taste.
>>>
>>> I had to replace the stainless one (Cuisinart) and I went to WalMart

and
>>> bought an aluminum Presto. This newer aluminum doesn't seem to react

the
>>> same way as Mom's.
>>>
>>> I am much, much happier with the aluminum el-cheapo Presto than I was
>>> with the fancy, expensive Cuisinart.
>>>
>>> BTW, I've been using pressure cookers for 50 years.
>>>

>> How can that be, Janet? You're only 47!
>>

> Sigh. Don't I wish. I'm 62 and collecting Social Security.

I'll be 64 in January, but I'm not planning on collecting Social Security
until I'm 65, so that I can continue working and not belimited to the
amount I earn along with the SS.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Thursday, 12(XII)/11(XI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Christmas Day
1wks 6dys 1hrs 41mins
They say the wages of sin are death, but after they take out taxes,
all that's left is a tired feeling.