Old 13-12-2008, 07:16 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

Default Keurig one-cup coffee brewers

"Brian Colwell" wrote:

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote in message
Russell Patterson wrote in
:

, the cost per cup is at
or under 50 cents a cup.

you call that reasonable?

I could understand it if home brewing resulting in under 20¢ a
cup,
but
50¢?

Actually it isn't too bad if you think about it. If you like drip
coffee, I suspect that each cup costs more than you think if you
consider that you throw out a fair amount of each pot pretty often.

For the price of an 18 pack of Keurig you can get a lot of good
ground
coffee.

Three cups a day in our house would be $45 a month with Keurig. My
wife
buys a bag of coffee at BJ's for $15.99 and gets a couple of months
from
it. Let's see, $90 versus $16. I'm thinking, just as you suggested.
90 - 16= 74 x6 = 444 per year more for the Keurig + the cost of
machine
=
$600 additional outlay the first year. . I'm thinking, I'm
thinking.

Have you looked at the Tassimo ? Both the pods and the unit appear to
be
cheaper. Not sure there would be much difference in the end product !

bmc

A couple of things about the Tassimo. Go to the website and see what
the disks have in them, as I remember it, it is more than just coffee.

And most of the cups produced are of the much smaller 'european' style.
One of the discs was called something 'petit' and I jokingly said that
meant 1/2 a cup of coffee...

And many of their discs are nearly a dollar each...

Here in BC their 100% Columbian ? :-)) a pack of 14 pods go for
$4.99Can.

bmc

Here the Starbucks Columbian is $10.99 for 12 disks

The Nabob Columbian is $7.99 for 14 disks

That's the only 2 Columbians they list. Seems like a big disparity in
pricing between us and north of the border, huh?

Especially since the Canadian dollar is back down to about 81 cents US !!!!

bmc

Old 13-12-2008, 08:48 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote in message
My mom at 87, still drinks her Folgers done in a drip pot and wouldn't
have it any other way.

My wife grew up with garden brewed coffee. Her grandfather would get up and
put the percolator on the stove, go work in the garden for a while and then
he'd come in and have a cup since it was then "done". I tried a cup one and
decided that roofing tar was a weak, thin, imitation.

Sounds like the coffee I grew up with. We always had a pyrex percolator
in those days, and it was always Folgers as that was in the family so to
speak.

Then the coffee could strip paint, but these days she doesn't tolerate
strong flavors in anything, so the coffee is mostly colored water.
Old 13-12-2008, 08:50 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

In article ,
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"Lloyd Parsons" wrote in message
Here in BC their 100% Columbian ? :-)) a pack of 14 pods go for
$4.99Can.

bmc

Here the Starbucks Columbian is $10.99 for 12 disks

The Nabob Columbian is $7.99 for 14 disks

That's the only 2 Columbians they list. Seems like a big disparity in
pricing between us and north of the border, huh?

I guess if you are a coffee shop person spending $2.50 or so, that buck a
cup is a savings. For a home brewer, it certainly gets expensive.

That is true. But the single-serve fans consider it OK because they
think the coffee is great and the cost is overridden by the convenience.

I've got a Tassimo and a Senseo, I used them before I got into the
espresso scene. In fact, it was because of them that I started looking
for something better.

And the rest, as they say, is history!
Old 13-12-2008, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

In article ,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

In article ,
Lloyd Parsons wrote:

I guess if you are a coffee shop person spending $2.50 or so, that buck a
cup is a savings. For a home brewer, it certainly gets expensive.

That is true. But the single-serve fans consider it OK because they
think the coffee is great and the cost is overridden by the convenience.

I'm a coffee shop person, because I drink a cup or two a week.

I'd still have to do the math, but even a buck a cup (mmm, OK, 75 cents)
represents a savings in the end. But that would have to be everything,
machine included, over a reasonable period of time.

Well, there are deals and there are deals....

I happened on a great deal on the Senseo. I had to do an online survey
with them, and then a followup after and I got the maker for free with a
few pods included.

Now I use it with home-made pods that I do with fresh coffee that I've
roasted when I go up to my mom's house. A bit of a pain to make the
pods, but doesn't take longer than it does me to make a shot or an
Americano on the epresso machine. And the Senseo weighs a hell of a lot
less than my Alex!!

Frankly, if you go that way, I'd opt for a pod maker over the Tassimo or
Keurig. Looks like the cheapest Senseo is about $60 and pods run about
$.50 each depending on which ones you get. But you get the pods online
as few stores carry them, and usually the ones they have are loose in a
bag, so once you open the bag, they start going stale just like ground
coffee.

The online sellers like bettercoffee.com sell pods that are in
individual sealed packs.
Old 15-12-2008, 02:56 AM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

Three cups a day in our house would be $45 a month with Keurig. My wife
buys a bag of coffee at BJ's for $15.99 and gets a couple of months from it.
Let's see, $90 versus $16. I'm thinking, just as you suggested.
90 - 16= 74 x6 = 444 per year more for the Keurig + the cost of machine =
$600 additional outlay the first year. . I'm thinking, I'm thinking.

Are you factoring in all the wasted coffee that is dumped from a pot?
If a person researches the Internet, there are many reputable
companies that sell pods, K-cups, etc, which end up costing a lot less
than .50 per cup. Granted, in local stores, the stuff is much more
expensive.

I like the Senseo for the convenience and ease of making a cup. For a
long time, I was buying beans from a reputable roaster and it was very
good and then I would grind them daily resulting in a fabulous cup of
coffee. However, often I did not drink as much as I thought I would
and it would go down the drain.

The coffee I now drink may not be as good as the freshly ground, but
it is still good and there are so many better coffees available online
other than Senseo, but will fit the machine. I like things easy. And I
like to explore.

Mark

Old 15-12-2008, 03:04 AM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

"FERRANTE" wrote in message
news

Three cups a day in our house would be $45 a month with Keurig. My wife
buys a bag of coffee at BJ's for $15.99 and gets a couple of months from
it.
Let's see, $90 versus $16. I'm thinking, just as you suggested.
90 - 16= 74 x6 = 444 per year more for the Keurig + the cost of machine =
$600 additional outlay the first year. . I'm thinking, I'm thinking.

Are you factoring in all the wasted coffee that is dumped from a pot?
If a person researches the Internet, there are many reputable
companies that sell pods, K-cups, etc, which end up costing a lot less
than .50 per cup. Granted, in local stores, the stuff is much more
expensive.

Of course I am. If you read the line I posted what we actually spend versus
the no waste Keurig.

If you get the cost down to 30¢, it is still more expensive. Convenient,
yes, but there is a cost to saving time. I'd rather use that money for
something else. Obviously, others don't as many machines are sold.

Old 15-12-2008, 08:30 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

On Dec 14, 10:04*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"FERRANTE" wrote in message

news

[...]

30 CENTS to $1.00 for SWILL!
Old 16-12-2008, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

On Dec 13, 3:50 pm, Lloyd Parsons wrote:

I've got a Tassimo and a Senseo, I used them before I got into the
espresso scene. In fact, it was because of them that I started looking
for something better.

And the rest, as they say, is history!

Yep -- a brewed cup of coffee may be good, have flavor, but if that's
not enough -- better or more there is -- which becomes a concentrate
at the next step. Extraction of the comparable pod, ground to
exactness, under a portafilter's pressure and temperature
characteristics, for a narrower chemical yield of selective coffee
constituents. Of course there's a willingness involved to encounter
that experience -- for some not so willing, which might be an apparent
analogous to sipping from a teaspoon of Tobassco, as opposed to
dousing their hashbrowns with catsup after a sprinkle of Crystal.
(Pardon the excursion, not being much of a hotsauce eater, by way of
convenience, and permitting simple observances from an avowed latte-
drinker.)
Old 01-01-2009, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

I like the no waste aspect of the Keurig, and also because you can
brew different blends for different people, very quickly, plus I can
be drinking a cup about a minute or so after I think about wanting
it......I am drinking lots more coffee now, after buying the Keurig
last year.

dan

http://www.mycoffeeandteastore.com

news

Old 01-01-2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

On Jan 1, 2:30*pm, dan wrote:
I like the no waste aspect of the Keurig, and also because you can
brew different blends for different people, very quickly, plus I can
be drinking a cup about a minute or so after I think about wanting
it......I am drinking lots more coffee now, after buying the Keurig
last year.

dan

http://www.mycoffeeandteastore.com

On Dec 14 2008, 10:04*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

"FERRANTE" wrote in message

news

[...]

NO waste? what about all that plastic you are throwing away??

vs. coffee grounds?

"no waste"

LOL!!
Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 11:30:03 -0800 (PST), dan
wrote:

I like the no waste aspect of the Keurig, and also because you can
brew different blends for different people, very quickly, plus I can
be drinking a cup about a minute or so after I think about wanting
it......I am drinking lots more coffee now, after buying the Keurig
last year.

dan

http://www.mycoffeeandteastore.com

Dan,
I agree with you 100%! I bough my niece a Keurig and she and her
husband love it and love trying all the different flavors. There are
many sites online to get great deals. Check out this one and scroll
all the way down the page to see everything:

http://www.coffeewhiz.com/kcupcoffee.htm

http://www.coffeeforless.com/category.asp?id=84

http://coffeegiant.com/index.php?cPa...364 ae7d31f42

Finally, if you have a Bed, Bath and Beyond in your area, they sell
all kinds of K-cups, reasonably priced.

Enjoy your Keurig as so many others are doing!

Mark
Old 01-01-2009, 11:11 PM posted to rec.food.equipment,alt.coffee

wrote:

[...]

They also sell reusable k cups now.
http://www.singleservecoffee.com/archives/004250.php
http://www.homeclick.com/1/1/47970-k...-cup-5048.html