Old 06-12-2008, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

Default using the 'clean' feature for an oven

On Fri, 05 Dec 2008 15:58:45 -0800, Walter Spector
wrote:

Sky wrote:
I've heard it's wise to remove the oven shelves/racks before 'cleaning,'
so I intend to do that...

Good idea. Glide racks, in particular, will be ruined if they are
left in the oven during self-clean. And even regular racks will
lose their nice shiny finish.

W.

I depends on your range and racks. The instructions for my 1974 GE
self cleaning oven said to leave them in. I did for 20 years and they
were still fine.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:58 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"pltrgyst" wrote in message

I don't buy stoves with anything other than porcelain-coated racks,
unless I know I can buy porcelain-coated replacement racks from the
manufacturer in question. This is just part of the shopping process.

-- Larry

From what I've seen you have limited brands to choose from. I don't
recall seeing a porcelain rack in my recent search for a range.
Just curious, how often do you buy stoves? Mine was 21 years old and I
expect the new one to outlast me, another 20 to 30 years, I hope. Never
had a sag in the SS racks either.

My range Sears Elite bought 12-5-06 has porcelain racks:
Precautions:
Porcelain oven racks do not have to be removed. After the cycle is complete
and the oven has cooled, rube the sides of the oven racks with wax paper or
a cloth containing a small amount of salad oil (this will make the racks
glide easier into the rack position.)

Dee Dee

Old 07-12-2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Good idea. Glide racks, in particular, will be ruined if they are
left in the oven during self-clean. And even regular racks will
lose their nice shiny finish.

W.

How will they be ruined?

If the slip fit is very fine, the racks can warp just a bit, perhaps
5-12 one-thousandths of an inch (read as 0.005 - 0.012 on a blue print).
But this bowing can press on the glide tracks of an oven to create
friction, thus impairing the glide.

jt
Old 07-12-2008, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:
In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

Good idea. Glide racks, in particular, will be ruined if they are
left in the oven during self-clean. And even regular racks will
lose their nice shiny finish.

W.

How will they be ruined?

If the slip fit is very fine, the racks can warp just a bit, perhaps
5-12 one-thousandths of an inch (read as 0.005 - 0.012 on a blue print).
But this bowing can press on the glide tracks of an oven to create
friction, thus impairing the glide.

If the manufacturer says that the racks can stay in the oven during a
cleaning cycle and they warp enough to be non-functional I would make a
warranty claim. A minor increase in friction is what happens to regular
racks left in for a cleaning cycle. I hardly see a difference.

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):
Old 09-12-2008, 01:54 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

In article ,
"Matthew L. Martin" wrote:

If the slip fit is very fine, the racks can warp just a bit, perhaps
5-12 one-thousandths of an inch (read as 0.005 - 0.012 on a blue print).
But this bowing can press on the glide tracks of an oven to create
friction, thus impairing the glide.

If the manufacturer says that the racks can stay in the oven during a
cleaning cycle and they warp enough to be non-functional I would make a
warranty claim. A minor increase in friction is what happens to regular
racks left in for a cleaning cycle. I hardly see a difference.

If the manufacturer says the racks can stay in, they either engineered
the metals and geometry too avoid warpage, or the clearances are great
enough to remain clear on slight warpage. It comes down to the
engineering.

jt

Old 11-12-2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

Good idea. Glide racks, in particular, will be ruined if they are
left in the oven during self-clean. And even regular racks will
lose their nice shiny finish.

What's a "glide rack"? And, for that matter,what's a "regular rack"?

They roll on bearings to make it easier to work with heavy pots
and roasters. Very nice feature.

For example, Dacors version:

http://www.dacor.com/Our-Products/Ac...ide-Racks.aspx

And Vikings version:

http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/...id=prod4690185

If you use self-clean on one of these, you will have just ruined
a $200 rack.

W.

Old 11-12-2008, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

jt august wrote:
If the manufacturer says the racks can stay in, they either engineered
the metals and geometry too avoid warpage, or the clearances are great
enough to remain clear on slight warpage. It comes down to the
engineering.

In both the Dacor and Viking examples I posted upthread, the
manufacturers state that the racks (both regular and glide) should be
removed before self-clean. I currently own both a Dacor range and a
Viking wall oven. So these are the examples I am familiar with.

Older self-cleaning ovens that I have had, basically GE and Frigidaire,
did not have restrictions on leaving the racks in during self cleaning.
OTOH, none had the nice glide racks, and none had the nice chrome-plated
surfaces and heavy steel construction that these higher end racks have.
You could describe their racks as 'cheap'. The only good thing about them
was that, being unplated, you could leave them in the oven during self-clean..
And their clearances were loose enough that it didn't matter how warped
they got.

W.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 09:06:52 -0800, Walter Spector
wrote:

What's a "glide rack"? And, for that matter,what's a "regular rack"?

They roll on bearings to make it easier to work with heavy pots
and roasters. Very nice feature.

For example, Dacors version:

http://www.dacor.com/Our-Products/Ac...ide-Racks.aspx

And Vikings version:

http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/...id=prod4690185

Nice, thanks. Some day when I splurge on a kitchen... 8

-- Larry
Old 12-12-2008, 02:04 AM posted to rec.food.equipment

http://www.dacor.com/Our-Products/Ac...en-Glide-Racks.
aspx

And Vikings version:

http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/...id=prod4690185

If you use self-clean on one of these, you will have just ruined
a $200 rack.

The bearings onside those racks are sealed bearings, that is that
nothing can get in or out. Within those seals, the bearings have a high
heat resilient lubricant, most likely a synthetic lube. However, the
very high heat achieved in most self-clean cycles is sufficient to break
down these lubricants, which is why they would be ruined after being
cleaned like that. In addition, the lubricants can potentially boil,
and in turning vaporous, they can breach the seal and leak. And if they
do leak, the smoke could be significant.

jt