Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Williams-Sonoma All Clad

We dropped into our local Willams-Sonoma store this weekend. Wandering around
with my little magnet, I found that All Clad has made all of their SS pots and
pans, except the copper core line, induction ready. This includes the pasta
pentola, which ticks me off since mine is not usable on the induction hob. 8;(

And the brushed SS line supposedly marketed exclusively through W-S looks very
nice indeed.

I wonder what the aluminum cookware makers are doing to plan for an
induction-cooking future -- a few are embedding steel disks in the bases of
their pans, I know, but they must all be concerned.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> We dropped into our local Willams-Sonoma store this weekend. Wandering
> around
> with my little magnet, I found that All Clad has made all of their SS pots
> and
> pans, except the copper core line, induction ready. This includes the
> pasta
> pentola, which ticks me off since mine is not usable on the induction hob.
> 8;(
>
> And the brushed SS line supposedly marketed exclusively through W-S looks
> very
> nice indeed.
>
> I wonder what the aluminum cookware makers are doing to plan for an
> induction-cooking future -- a few are embedding steel disks in the bases
> of
> their pans, I know, but they must all be concerned.

can you just put a steel disk on top of the induction burner, and then use
any type of cookware you wish?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> We dropped into our local Willams-Sonoma store this weekend. Wandering
> around
> with my little magnet, I found that All Clad has made all of their SS pots
> and
> pans, except the copper core line, induction ready. This includes the
> pasta
> pentola, which ticks me off since mine is not usable on the induction
> hob. -- Larry

I'm wondering if this might have to do with the fact that this pasta pentola
carries so much (water) weight coupled with the fact that many might be
using a individual hob instead of a solid built-in unit, and they felt that
it might be too dangerous? However, this doesn't address the fact that
much All Clad is sold around-the-world to those who probably do have
induction cooktops (with several burners) installed.

Just thinking,
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Gil Faver" > wrote in message
>> I wonder what the aluminum cookware makers are doing to plan for an
>> induction-cooking future -- a few are embedding steel disks in the bases
>> of
>> their pans, I know, but they must all be concerned.

> can you just put a steel disk on top of the induction burner, and then use
> any type of cookware you wish?

I imagine it would work, but it certainly takes away from one of the
features of induction. Just as adding a steel insert of cladding to aluminum
makes it more costly and takes away the benefit of low cost. People
shifted to glass and plastic to use with microwaves do I doubt they'd have
problems shifting to new cookware if induction becomes very popular.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:14:27 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>I'm wondering if this might have to do with the fact that this pasta pentola
>carries so much (water) weight coupled with the fact that many might be
>using a individual hob instead of a solid built-in unit, and they felt that
>it might be too dangerous?

No, that can't be their concern, because it's the other way round -- the older
ones are non-magnetic, and the've made the current product magnetic.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:14:27 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>I'm wondering if this might have to do with the fact that this pasta
>>pentola
>>carries so much (water) weight coupled with the fact that many might be
>>using a individual hob instead of a solid built-in unit, and they felt
>>that
>>it might be too dangerous?

> No, that can't be their concern, because it's the other way round -- the
> older
> ones are non-magnetic, and the've made the current product magnetic.
>
> -- Larry

I got it -- I misunderstand. Thanks.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> We dropped into our local Willams-Sonoma store this weekend. Wandering
> around
> with my little magnet, I found that All Clad has made all of their SS pots
> and
> pans, except the copper core line, induction ready. This includes the
> pasta
> pentola, which ticks me off since mine is not usable on the induction hob.
> 8;(

If you are considering All Clad, look for a W-S outlet store and get 30%
off. the seconds