Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Aerogarden at Costco

Costco has an Aerogarden unit online. I had checked while shopping at other
Costco's and found that there were none in the warehouses where I visited.
Not seeing Aerogarden at a lower price than 'retail,' I started thinking
about a new one for myself and decided to investigate how different this
unit was than a similarly priced one.

From what I understand, the price is not listed by Aerogarden as it is not
available from Aerogarden. A. will be coming out with a similar unit in the
future, but will not be exactly the same, leaving me to understand that this
is a unit available at the present time only at Costco.

Comparing, I find that I'll probably not buy the unit at Costco, as is my
usual M.O. It is $169.
I am wanting a longer stancheon so the produce can grow taller, which would
add another $109 to this price ($278), and another $30 for a trellis, which
would make it $308; whereas I can buy this unit for $230 as an all-together
unit.

While I'm writing about this, I am wondering about products such as this
that one sees on ebay that are 'NEW' and are generally priced the same as if
one bought them directly.

Ebay is always my last resort. My last purchase there was a couple of
roomba wall units (not expensive), but they did not work. It just wasn't
worth the hastle (hazzle?) for me to return or correct the situation. I
bought a new battery from Roomba itself at the cost of $70+/-, so the cost
of the wall units was a pittance. Just wondering about ebay's people's
personal stores where they have a lot of similar items -- where the heck do
they get this stuff together -- my mind is conjuring.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Costco has an Aerogarden unit online. I had checked while shopping at
> other Costco's and found that there were none in the warehouses where I
> visited. Not seeing Aerogarden at a lower price than 'retail,' I started
> thinking about a new one for myself and decided to investigate how
> different this unit was than a similarly priced one.
>
> From what I understand, the price is not listed by Aerogarden as it is not
> available from Aerogarden. A. will be coming out with a similar unit in
> the future, but will not be exactly the same, leaving me to understand
> that this is a unit available at the present time only at Costco.
>
> Comparing, I find that I'll probably not buy the unit at Costco, as is my
> usual M.O. It is $169.
> I am wanting a longer stancheon so the produce can grow taller, which
> would add another $109 to this price ($278), and another $30 for a
> trellis, which would make it $308; whereas I can buy this unit for $230 as
> an all-together unit.
>
> While I'm writing about this, I am wondering about products such as this
> that one sees on ebay that are 'NEW' and are generally priced the same as
> if one bought them directly.
>
> Ebay is always my last resort. My last purchase there was a couple of
> roomba wall units (not expensive), but they did not work. It just wasn't
> worth the hastle (hazzle?) for me to return or correct the situation. I
> bought a new battery from Roomba itself at the cost of $70+/-, so the cost
> of the wall units was a pittance. Just wondering about ebay's people's
> personal stores where they have a lot of similar items -- where the heck
> do they get this stuff together -- my mind is conjuring.
>
> Dee Dee

All good things come to those who wait. After some tedious investigation:

I found that Aerogarden is coming out with a model that suits me. In
October, they will be coming out with the Master Garden kit that goes with
the model I am waiting for. Hopefully time enough for tomatoes and
tomatillos to go with the planted 7 plugs of basil August 26 and harvested
enough basil the 16th of September to add to a salad of cucumber and a
couple of blades of garden-raised arugula.

Dee Dee