Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default PING: Dee Dee

Dee,

What do you think of this Kirkland cookware set from Costco. cost, value,
quality? I don't have a lot of money to spend but I could manage this price.
I'm looking to replace my current SS set.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/5lnyue

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Labor Day
33mins
A cat is a four footed allergen.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Dee Dee

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> Dee,
>
> What do you think of this Kirkland cookware set from Costco. cost, value,
> quality? I don't have a lot of money to spend but I could manage this
> price.
> I'm looking to replace my current SS set.
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/5lnyue
>
> TIA

Hi,Wayne,

I like the set I bought much better -- I'm not sure why, something 'je ne
sais quoi.'

Perhaps it's the outer rim? I recall you mentioning to me when I bought
mine that the rim/lip on mine was nice, but I wasn't quite sure how you knew
that -- but I can tell you the rim for pouring on the set I bought it
absolutely perfect. I can pour warmed milk from a pan into a small-rimmed
jar with no problem.
As I recall looking at the ones they have now, I think the lip is different,
not as 'rolled.' When I've picked them up, and I do often when I'm in there,
I usually am glad that I had bought the ones I have now.

Another thing, whether this matters or not, but I had the impression that
they were not as 'heavy.' This can represent different things to different
people, of course, but as I have bought and looked at a few ss pans since
I've steered away from the previous non-stick calphalon-type I had, I feel
that perhaps they aren't as 'substantial,' even though they ARE quite
substantial. I'm not sure how else to say it.

I notice on Costco's site that they don't mention the 'country of origin' or
'made in ...' Mine were made in Italy; of course, always my choice if I can
get it. (I've mentioned I also like 'made in Brazil.') If you can get a
local Costco warehouse number for your warehouse, perhaps they will look at
the bottom of the pan for you. I swear I can't remember. but "Indonesia"
is coming to mind.

I guess one cannot trust looking at the box, but will have to look at the
pot itself, as to the 'country of origin.' I received from cooking.com a
clay pot the other day that I KNEW was made in the U.S. When I received it,
it was defective (yep! the usual drats!) and when I called and also asked
them about the "made in Taiwan' on the box, they assured me that it was made
in the good ole U.S. of A, but that evidently Taiwan have boxes made up that
say that. Cooking.com is replacing the clay pot thankfully. cooking.com
always comes through for me and always pleasant, I might add.

Here are a few things to compare with what was written at the Costco site re
what I bought. Online, they were $229.99 incl S&H, but I paid $199.99 at
the store. I wonder at the price of the current ones at $199 warehouse incl
s&h, perhaps they might be closing them out? They have been there some
little time now. If that's the case, and you can wait, then I'll bet there
will be something new to replace it for holiday time.

Haven't they stopped selling Circulon (sp?) - lordy, I hated that stuff,
even though lots of people are nuts about it. Nope! I see it is still there
$149.99 for 12 piece set.

My ss set was a 13 pc. set copper-bonded 5-ply base.
"... dome shaped lids fit precisely for heat and nutrient retention. The
snug fit creates a tight "seal" for a more efficient form of self basting."
This is really true! Flared edges for easy pouring. Mine says as well as
on your site, "induction ready."
I don't usually put any pans in the dishwasher, but I have put these in a
few times with no problems.

Here are the pans included in the set I bought.
a.. 1.5 qt. Covered saucepan
b.. 2 qt. Covered saucepan with steamer insert
c.. 4 qt. Covered saucepan (lid fits 8.5" flared edge skillet)
d.. 8.5 qt. Covered stockpot (lid fits 10" flared edge skillet)
e.. 3.5 qt. Covered sauté pan
f.. 8.5" Flared edge skillet
g.. 10" Flared edge skillet

I still think the price is good for the set, and actually I've not seen
anything that good for that price at all. s&H included!!!!

Ahh, the decisions, particulary when you KNOW the prices are going to
increase.

Happy holiday-day off hopefully, Wayne.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> [...]

> snug fit creates a tight "seal" for a more efficient form of self
> basting." This is really true! Flared edges for easy pouring. Mine
> says as well as on your site, "induction ready."
> I don't usually put any pans in the dishwasher, but I have put these in a
> few times with no problems.
>
> Here are the pans included in the set I bought.
> a.. 1.5 qt. Covered saucepan
> b.. 2 qt. Covered saucepan with steamer insert
> c.. 4 qt. Covered saucepan (lid fits 8.5" flared edge skillet)
> d.. 8.5 qt. Covered stockpot (lid fits 10" flared edge skillet)
> e.. 3.5 qt. Covered sauté pan
> f.. 8.5" Flared edge skillet
> g.. 10" Flared edge skillet
>
> I still think the price is good for the set, and actually I've not seen
> anything that good for that price at all. s&H included!!!!
>
> Ahh, the decisions, particulary when you KNOW the prices are going to

I agree wholeheartedly about the pouring lip. I have old cladded copper
Cuisinart cookware that has a pouring lip that will pour drop by drop. I
also don't think, particularly for primary use on the stove top, it makes
any sense to clad aluminum or copper up the sides of the pan. The pan
becomes needlessly heavier, the sides become thicker and the pouring lip
suffers. I think All Clad is a marketing ploy.

Evette

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 01 Sep 2008 11:46:46a, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...
>> Dee,
>>
>> What do you think of this Kirkland cookware set from Costco. cost,
>> value, quality? I don't have a lot of money to spend but I could
>> manage this price.
>> I'm looking to replace my current SS set.
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/5lnyue
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Hi,Wayne,
>
> I like the set I bought much better -- I'm not sure why, something 'je
> ne sais quoi.'
>
> Perhaps it's the outer rim? I recall you mentioning to me when I bought
> mine that the rim/lip on mine was nice, but I wasn't quite sure how you
> knew that -- but I can tell you the rim for pouring on the set I bought
> it absolutely perfect. I can pour warmed milk from a pan into a
> small-rimmed jar with no problem.
> As I recall looking at the ones they have now, I think the lip is
> different, not as 'rolled.' When I've picked them up, and I do often
> when I'm in there, I usually am glad that I had bought the ones I have
> now.

I think your set is the same as the one I had actually seen in the Costco
store at the time, and I had examined the lip when I was looking them over.

> Another thing, whether this matters or not, but I had the impression
> that they were not as 'heavy.' This can represent different things to
> different people, of course, but as I have bought and looked at a few ss
> pans since I've steered away from the previous non-stick calphalon-type
> I had, I feel that perhaps they aren't as 'substantial,' even though
> they ARE quite substantial. I'm not sure how else to say it.
>
> I notice on Costco's site that they don't mention the 'country of
> origin' or 'made in ...' Mine were made in Italy; of course, always my
> choice if I can get it. (I've mentioned I also like 'made in Brazil.')
> If you can get a local Costco warehouse number for your warehouse,
> perhaps they will look at the bottom of the pan for you. I swear I
> can't remember. but "Indonesia" is coming to mind.

It's often hard to tell these days unless you're examining the actual item.

> I guess one cannot trust looking at the box, but will have to look at
> the pot itself, as to the 'country of origin.' I received from
> cooking.com a clay pot the other day that I KNEW was made in the U.S.
> When I received it, it was defective (yep! the usual drats!) and when I
> called and also asked them about the "made in Taiwan' on the box, they
> assured me that it was made in the good ole U.S. of A, but that
> evidently Taiwan have boxes made up that say that. Cooking.com is
> replacing the clay pot thankfully. cooking.com always comes through for
> me and always pleasant, I might add.
>
> Here are a few things to compare with what was written at the Costco
> site re what I bought. Online, they were $229.99 incl S&H, but I paid
> $199.99 at the store. I wonder at the price of the current ones at $199
> warehouse incl s&h, perhaps they might be closing them out? They have
> been there some little time now. If that's the case, and you can wait,
> then I'll bet there will be something new to replace it for holiday
> time.

I wouldn't buy this set without actually going to the Costco store and
examining them, although I'm still attracted to them. It's entirely
possible, too, that there may be other cookware at the store that isn't on
the website.

> Haven't they stopped selling Circulon (sp?) - lordy, I hated that stuff,
> even though lots of people are nuts about it. Nope! I see it is still
> there $149.99 for 12 piece set.

I hate that stuff, too.

> My ss set was a 13 pc. set copper-bonded 5-ply base.
> "... dome shaped lids fit precisely for heat and nutrient retention.
> The snug fit creates a tight "seal" for a more efficient form of self
> basting." This is really true! Flared edges for easy pouring. Mine
> says as well as on your site, "induction ready."
> I don't usually put any pans in the dishwasher, but I have put these in
> a few times with no problems.
>
> Here are the pans included in the set I bought.
> a.. 1.5 qt. Covered saucepan
> b.. 2 qt. Covered saucepan with steamer insert
> c.. 4 qt. Covered saucepan (lid fits 8.5" flared edge skillet)
> d.. 8.5 qt. Covered stockpot (lid fits 10" flared edge skillet)
> e.. 3.5 qt. Covered sauté pan
> f.. 8.5" Flared edge skillet
> g.. 10" Flared edge skillet

Note: the following list and description from their website is remarkably
close to yours. The difference in piece count is from the utensils
included with the currently advertised set.

16-Piece Set Includes:

Covered saucepan: 4 qt.
Covered saucepan: 1.7 qt.
Open skillet: 8.5"
Open skillet: 10.25"
Covered saucepan: 2.4 qt.
(w/steamer insert)
Covered stockpot: 8 qt.
Covered sauté pan: 3.5 qt.
Slotted Spoon
Solid spoon
Spatula
Features:

Professional Quality:
Constructed of stainless steel, the copper-bonded 5-ply base is
manufactured to allow even & efficient transfer of heat; Each pot & pan
provides perfect cooking performance every time; induction ready
Copper-Bonded 5-ply Base:
Each pan is manufactured w/a 5-ply base construction that has 2 layers of
stainless steel, 2 layers of aluminum & copper base; The substantial
impact-bonded base enables the pan to reach & maintain the desired cooking
temperature quickly & evenly, allowing heat settings to be reduced
Stainless Steel Handles:
Handcrafted & hand-polished hollow-cast handles are ergonomically designed
to assist in natural wrist position & comfort; securely riveted for a
lifetime of use
Stainless Steel Lids:
Heavy-gauge, dimple-dome shaped lids fit precisely for heat & nutrient
retention; snug fit creates a tight seal for a more efficient form of self
basting
Stainless Steel Utensils
NSF international compliant
Dishwasher safe

> I still think the price is good for the set, and actually I've not seen
> anything that good for that price at all. s&H included!!!!

Yes, I think so too, and I can't really get into the sets that sell for
$400-600.

> Ahh, the decisions, particulary when you KNOW the prices are going to
> increase.

When I've been to the Costco store, I'll let you know what I think about
them hands-on. There was nothing else on their website that I would
consider, or

> Happy holiday-day off hopefully, Wayne.
> Dee

Thanks, Dee. Enjoy the holiday!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Labor Day
Countdown till Labor Day
-5hrs -42mins
Illiterate? Write for FREE HELP!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.250...

> I wouldn't buy this set without actually going to the Costco store and
> examining them, although I'm still attracted to them. It's entirely
> possible, too, that there may be other cookware at the store that isn't on
> the website.

Here in our Winchester,VA store (population abt. 30,000) they don't
add/remove sets often. I believe I've seen a set that was cheaper - maybe
it was a Bialetti? - but I've not seen real quality in a 'set' except these
we are discussing.

> ... I can't really get into the sets that sell for
> $400-600.

Common sense rules!

By-the-by, I really use all of the pans in this set. One thing I didn't
think I'd use as much as I do is the pot with the steamer. It is just the
right size for two! I have four other steamers that I can recall, and they
are all larger, but this one is sooo handy. The top steamer part always
goes into the dishwasher, as well as the lids.

The skillets are nice and thick. For dinner I fried polenta in ghee (my own
ghee) and narry a stick. I used the same pan (without washing, and still
hot) to make a 6-egg omelet; wiped it clean with a paper towel before
sudsing it out; there wasn't anything to 'barkeep' out.

> When I've been to the Costco store, I'll let you know what I think about
> them hands-on. There was nothing else on their website that I would
> consider

I won't be going to Costco until next Sat/Sunday. I'll handle them again.

Who knows but if they decide to discontinue them, perhaps the price will go
lower at the warehouse.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 01 Sep 2008 01:30:12p, Evette told us...

> [...]

>> e.. 3.5 qt. Covered sauté pan
>> f.. 8.5" Flared edge skillet
>> g.. 10" Flared edge skillet
>>
>> I still think the price is good for the set, and actually I've not seen
>> anything that good for that price at all. s&H included!!!!
>>
>> Ahh, the decisions, particulary when you KNOW the prices are going to
>> increase.
>>
>> Happy holiday-day off hopefully, Wayne.
>> Dee
>>

> I agree wholeheartedly about the pouring lip. I have old cladded copper
> Cuisinart cookware that has a pouring lip that will pour drop by drop. I
> also don't think, particularly for primary use on the stove top, it
> makes any sense to clad aluminum or copper up the sides of the pan. The
> pan becomes needlessly heavier, the sides become thicker and the pouring
> lip suffers. I think All Clad is a marketing ploy.

I agree. The laminated highly conductive bottoms are a big plus, but I see
no value in cookware that's cladded all the up the sides. Well designed
cookware should always have decent pouring lips.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Labor Day
Countdown till Labor Day
-5hrs -42mins
Illiterate? Write for FREE HELP!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 01 Sep 2008 03:38:02p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...
>

>> I wouldn't buy this set without actually going to the Costco store and
>> examining them, although I'm still attracted to them. It's entirely
>> possible, too, that there may be other cookware at the store that isn't
>> on the website.

> Here in our Winchester,VA store (population abt. 30,000) they don't
> add/remove sets often. I believe I've seen a set that was cheaper -
> maybe it was a Bialetti? - but I've not seen real quality in a 'set'
> except these we are discussing.

Change of merchandise might vary. There was a "typical" Costco store a few
miles from us. However, quite recently they just completed building a
gigantic new Costco a few blocks from there as a replacement. I haven't
been to it yet, but it's entirely likely that their merchandising may be
different.

Still, the set we've been discussing looks to be good quality at a very
acceptable price. I really wouldn't want to buy anything cheaper. I'm
expecting that they will have this set in the store.

Wish me luck. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Labor Day
Countdown till Labor Day
-5hrs -42mins
Illiterate? Write for FREE HELP!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.250...

> Still, the set we've been discussing looks to be good quality at a very
> acceptable price. I really wouldn't want to buy anything cheaper. I'm
> expecting that they will have this set in the store.
>
> Wish me luck. :-)
>

> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Bon chance/good luck!
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Dee,
>
> What do you think of this Kirkland cookware set from Costco. cost, value,
> quality? I don't have a lot of money to spend but I could manage this price.
> I'm looking to replace my current SS set.

I can't speak for this exact set, but all the cookware and kitchen
stuff I've bought at CostCo over the last 20 years has been
top-notch.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Mon 01 Sep 2008 11:46:46a, Dee Randall told us...
>
>> Haven't they stopped selling Circulon (sp?) - lordy, I hated that stuff,
>> even though lots of people are nuts about it. Nope! I see it is still
>> there $149.99 for 12 piece set.

> I hate that stuff, too.

The newer Circulon with the shallow ribs is better than the old
stuff. I'm still using my Circulon from 15 years ago, but I also
have a few newish pieces (5 years or so). I like it better than my
Analon, Calphalon, and the Magnalite (from 10+ years ago).

-sw

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Evette" > wrote in message
> I also don't think, particularly for primary use on the stove top, it
> makes any sense to clad aluminum or copper up the sides of the pan. The
> pan becomes needlessly heavier, the sides become thicker and the pouring
> lip suffers. I think All Clad is a marketing ploy.
>
> Evette

Partly true. When frying or sautéing, the heat on the bottom is doing the
work. There is nothing really in contact with the sides so the extra heat
transfer there is not of any value. OTOH, with a delicate sauce, the even
heat cradling the sides helps it to heat evenly all around and the chance of
burning the bottom is greatly reduced.

You can get a good pouring lip with multi layer cookware. My Mauviel copper
pan has great pouring control and it is thicker than the typical pan.
Heavier too so don't consider copper if weight is a problem.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 01 Sep 2008 04:15:20p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> .250...
>>
>> Still, the set we've been discussing looks to be good quality at a very
>> acceptable price. I really wouldn't want to buy anything cheaper. I'm
>> expecting that they will have this set in the store.
>>
>> Wish me luck. :-)
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

> Bon chance/good luck!
> Dee

Thanks, Dee!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Labor Day
Countdown till Labor Day
-5hrs -42mins
Illiterate? Write for FREE HELP!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 01 Sep 2008 07:13:30p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

> "Evette" > wrote in message
>> I also don't think, particularly for primary use on the stove top, it
>> makes any sense to clad aluminum or copper up the sides of the pan. The
>> pan becomes needlessly heavier, the sides become thicker and the
>> pouring lip suffers. I think All Clad is a marketing ploy.
>>
>> Evette

> Partly true. When frying or sautéing, the heat on the bottom is doing
> the work. There is nothing really in contact with the sides so the
> extra heat transfer there is not of any value. OTOH, with a delicate
> sauce, the even heat cradling the sides helps it to heat evenly all
> around and the chance of burning the bottom is greatly reduced.
>
> You can get a good pouring lip with multi layer cookware. My Mauviel
> copper pan has great pouring control and it is thicker than the typical
> pan. Heavier too so don't consider copper if weight is a problem.

Thanks for your input, Ed.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Labor Day
Countdown till Labor Day
-5hrs -42mins
Illiterate? Write for FREE HELP!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> Dee,
>
> What do you think of this Kirkland cookware set from Costco. cost, value,
> quality? I don't have a lot of money to spend but I could manage this
> price.
> I'm looking to replace my current SS set.
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/5lnyue
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

> Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
> Countdown till Labor Day
> 33mins
> A cat is a four footed allergen.

Wayne, I was curious about the Kirkland cookware and looked at this set at
our local Costco this morning. I don't like the "sloping sides" of the sauce
pans and the stock pot, from a functional standpoint and from its styling.
When you slope a sauce pan or stock pot outward from the heat source, more
heat must be generated from the burner because you're heating a greater
volume on top of the burner. More heat must be transmitted through the
multiclad bottom because a smaller surface area is being heated. I also
found this "sloping style" somewhat offensive. All sauce pans and stock pots
in the world, pretty much, have straight sides. Finally, I think the inside
surface may be a cheapter SS, and the pouring lip is marginal, compared to
my old Cuisinart cladded copper pans.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Wayne, I was curious about the Kirkland cookware and looked at this set at
our local Costco this morning. I don't like the "sloping sides" of the sauce
pans and the stock pot, from a functional standpoint and from its styling.
When you slope a sauce pan or stock pot outward from the heat source, more
heat must be generated from the burner because you're heating a greater
volume on top of the burner. More heat must be transmitted through the
multiclad bottom because a smaller surface area is being heated. I also
found this "sloping style" somewhat tasteless. All sauce pans and stock pots
in the world, pretty much, have straight sides. Finally, I think the inside
surface may be a cheapter SS, and the pouring lip is marginal, compared to
my old Cuisinart cladded copper pans.

Hope this helps,

Bob

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> Dee,
>
> What do you think of this Kirkland cookware set from Costco. cost, value,
> quality? I don't have a lot of money to spend but I could manage this
> price.
> I'm looking to replace my current SS set.
>
> http://preview.tinyurl.com/5lnyue
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

> Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
> Countdown till Labor Day
> 33mins
> A cat is a four footed allergen.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 04 Sep 2008 02:19:32p, lgblob told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...
>> Dee,
>>
>> What do you think of this Kirkland cookware set from Costco. cost,
>> value, quality? I don't have a lot of money to spend but I could
>> manage this price.
>> I'm looking to replace my current SS set.
>>
>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/5lnyue
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright

>> Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
>> Countdown till Labor Day
>> 33mins
>> A cat is a four footed allergen.
>>

> Wayne, I was curious about the Kirkland cookware and looked at this set
> at our local Costco this morning. I don't like the "sloping sides" of
> the sauce pans and the stock pot, from a functional standpoint and from
> its styling. When you slope a sauce pan or stock pot outward from the
> heat source, more heat must be generated from the burner because you're
> heating a greater volume on top of the burner. More heat must be
> transmitted through the multiclad bottom because a smaller surface area
> is being heated. I also found this "sloping style" somewhat offensive.
> All sauce pans and stock pots in the world, pretty much, have straight
> sides. Finally, I think the inside surface may be a cheapter SS, and the
> pouring lip is marginal, compared to my old Cuisinart cladded copper
> pans.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Bob

Thanks, Bob. I haven't gotten into the store yet to actually have a hands-
on with them, but see your point.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 4dys 6hrs 22mins
I couldn't repair your brakes, so I
made your horn louder.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"lgblob" > wrote in message
> Wayne, I was curious about the Kirkland cookware and looked at this set at
> our local Costco this morning. I don't like the "sloping sides" of the
> sauce pans and the stock pot, from a functional standpoint and from its
> styling. When you slope a sauce pan or stock pot outward from the heat
> source, more heat must be generated from the burner because you're heating
> a greater volume on top of the burner. More heat must be transmitted
> through the multiclad bottom because a smaller surface area is being
> heated. I also found this "sloping style" somewhat offensive. All sauce
> pans and stock pots in the world, pretty much, have straight sides.
> Finally, I think the inside surface may be a cheapter SS, and the pouring
> lip is marginal, compared to my old Cuisinart cladded copper pans.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Bob

I think, Bob, on sauce pans this is somewhat dependent of the size of the
pot and the size of the burner. In some cases, the sloping side is better.
Stock pots don't usually need a sloping side.

If a pot is properly matched to the burner, there is no flame going up the
sides or heat being wasted. It takes a given amount of energy to raise the
temperature of the liquid to what is desired. The material of the pan, of
course, will have some affect as to how well it is transferred. In the case
of a liquid, heat on the side helps it to cook a bit faster. On frying or a
sauté, there is no contact on the side so not advantage. For the second
situation, you don't need anything beyond a good base, but on the former, a
conductive material on sides is good.

If you are cooking a sauce and want the volume to remain the same, a
straight side is best. OTOH, if you are trying to reduce the volume of the
liquid, a sloped side gives more surface area to allow the reduction to take
place faster. Since we can't always have both, compromises are often made.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 22:52:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:

>I agree. The laminated highly conductive bottoms are a big plus, but I see
>no value in cookware that's cladded all the up the sides. Well designed
>cookware should always have decent pouring lips.

As has already been mentioned, many experts assert that cladded sides are of
value in saucepans, where maximum heat is desirable, regardless of the diretcion
of application.

Many top chefs also reject pouring lips, saying that that's what ladles are for.

I don't like pouring lips on copper cookware because they never function
perfectly; if you pour, you will eventually have some liquid contact the copper
exterior, and cause more work for yourself.

Lips also cause a given pan to take up more stovetop space, and if the lip
includes a pouring spout, lids don't seal as effectively.

Pots with lips also don't seem to me to take steamer or double-boiler inserts as
well. They're also more susceptible to bending, denting, and other damage that
may cause lids to not seal as well.

ymmv... {shrug}

I've also never seen a Windsor pan with a lip -- do such exist? My two Windsor
pans are among my most used.

-- Larry (don't like chickens with lips either...)
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu 04 Sep 2008 07:26:19p, Edwin Pawlowski told us...

> "lgblob" > wrote in message
>> Wayne, I was curious about the Kirkland cookware and looked at this set
>> at our local Costco this morning. I don't like the "sloping sides" of
>> the sauce pans and the stock pot, from a functional standpoint and from
>> its styling. When you slope a sauce pan or stock pot outward from the
>> heat source, more heat must be generated from the burner because you're
>> heating a greater volume on top of the burner. More heat must be
>> transmitted through the multiclad bottom because a smaller surface area
>> is being heated. I also found this "sloping style" somewhat offensive.
>> All sauce pans and stock pots in the world, pretty much, have straight
>> sides. Finally, I think the inside surface may be a cheapter SS, and
>> the pouring lip is marginal, compared to my old Cuisinart cladded
>> copper pans.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Bob

> I think, Bob, on sauce pans this is somewhat dependent of the size of
> the pot and the size of the burner. In some cases, the sloping side is
> better. Stock pots don't usually need a sloping side.
>
> If a pot is properly matched to the burner, there is no flame going up
> the sides or heat being wasted. It takes a given amount of energy to
> raise the temperature of the liquid to what is desired. The material of
> the pan, of course, will have some affect as to how well it is
> transferred. In the case of a liquid, heat on the side helps it to cook
> a bit faster. On frying or a sauté, there is no contact on the side so
> not advantage. For the second situation, you don't need anything
> beyond a good base, but on the former, a conductive material on sides is
> good.
>
> If you are cooking a sauce and want the volume to remain the same, a
> straight side is best. OTOH, if you are trying to reduce the volume of
> the liquid, a sloped side gives more surface area to allow the reduction
> to take place faster. Since we can't always have both, compromises are
> often made.

I know they're not too popular here, but I have a radiant glass top range.
The diameter of the burners seem to fit these pots well, so I think energy
loss would be minimal.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Thursday, 09(IX)/04(IV)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 4dys 1hrs 58mins
Cats must smurgle on Mom's $120
Polartec sweatshirt.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message 5.250...
> On Thu 04 Sep 2008 02:19:32p, lgblob told us...
>

>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 5.247...
>>> Dee,
>>>
>>> What do you think of this Kirkland cookware set from Costco. cost,
>>> value, quality? I don't have a lot of money to spend but I could
>>> manage this price.
>>> I'm looking to replace my current SS set.
>>>
>>> http://preview.tinyurl.com/5lnyue
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> --
>>> Wayne Boatwright
>>>
>>> *******************************************
>>> Date: Sunday, 08(VIII)/31(XXXI)/08(MMVIII)
>>> *******************************************
>>> Countdown till Labor Day
>>> 33mins
>>> *******************************************
>>> A cat is a four footed allergen.
>>> *******************************************
>>>

>> Wayne, I was curious about the Kirkland cookware and looked at this set
>> at our local Costco this morning. I don't like the "sloping sides" of
>> the sauce pans and the stock pot, from a functional standpoint and from
>> its styling. When you slope a sauce pan or stock pot outward from the
>> heat source, more heat must be generated from the burner because you're
>> heating a greater volume on top of the burner. More heat must be
>> transmitted through the multiclad bottom because a smaller surface area
>> is being heated. I also found this "sloping style" somewhat offensive.
>> All sauce pans and stock pots in the world, pretty much, have straight
>> sides. Finally, I think the inside surface may be a cheapter SS, and the
>> pouring lip is marginal, compared to my old Cuisinart cladded copper
>> pans.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> Bob

> Thanks, Bob. I haven't gotten into the store yet to actually have a hands-
> on with them, but see your point.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Wayne, the other thing I don't like about this set is that the 8 qt stockpot appears to be 10" wide by 9-10" high. This is what you want for slowly simmering a stock, but not for most other uses. For the two of us we always use a 6 qt. stockpot that is 10" wide and 5"high. This is perfect for Boeuf bourguignon, Choucroute Garni, and Cassoulet. The tall stockpot is just too tall. If you want or need an 8 qt pot, it is best if it's12"wide and 5-6" high. All of our tall stockpots are sitting up high on a shelf in the pantry and are rarely used. As we both know, buying an additional pot to round your set up can be fairly costly.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:07:19 -0700, "lgblob" > wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message 5.250...
>> On Thu 04 Sep 2008 02:19:32p, lgblob told us...
>>

>>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>>> 5.247...

>>> Wayne, I was curious about the Kirkland cookware and looked at this set
>>> at our local Costco this morning. I don't like the "sloping sides" of
>>> the sauce pans and the stock pot, from a functional standpoint and from
>>> its styling. When you slope a sauce pan or stock pot outward from the
>>> heat source, more heat must be generated from the burner because you're
>>> heating a greater volume on top of the burner. More heat must be
>>> transmitted through the multiclad bottom because a smaller surface area
>>> is being heated. I also found this "sloping style" somewhat offensive.
>>> All sauce pans and stock pots in the world, pretty much, have straight
>>> sides. Finally, I think the inside surface may be a cheapter SS, and the
>>> pouring lip is marginal, compared to my old Cuisinart cladded copper
>>> pans.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Thanks, Bob. I haven't gotten into the store yet to actually have a hands-
>> on with them, but see your point.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

>Wayne, the other thing I don't like about this set is that the 8 qt stockpot appears to be 10" wide by 9-10" high. This is what you want for slowly simmering a stock, but not for most other uses. For the two of us we always use a 6 qt. stockpot that is 10" wide and 5"high. This is perfect for Boeuf bourguignon, Choucroute Garni, and Cassoulet. The tall stockpot is just too tall. If you want or need an 8 qt pot, it is best if it's12"wide and 5-6" high. All of our tall stockpots are sitting up high on a shelf in the pantry and are rarely used. As we both know, buying an additional pot to round your set up can be fairly costly.
>
>Bob

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri 05 Sep 2008 02:07:19p, lgblob told us...

> Wayne, the other thing I don't like about this set is that the 8 qt
> stockpot appears to be 10" wide by 9-10" high. This is what you want for
> slowly simmering a stock, but not for most other uses. For the two of us
> we always use a 6 qt. stockpot that is 10" wide and 5"high. This is
> perfect for Boeuf bourguignon, Choucroute Garni, and Cassoulet. The tall
> stockpot is just too tall. If you want or need an 8 qt pot, it is best
> if it's12"wide and 5-6" high. All of our tall stockpots are sitting up
> high on a shelf in the pantry and are rarely used. As we both know,
> buying an additional pot to round your set up can be fairly costly.
>
> Bob

Bob, you certainly make a valid point, but I have other options for those
situations, so I don't really need to be concerned about the height/width
issues of the stockpot. I have 6, 8, and 12 quart Le Creuset "ovens" that
serve well for dishes like you mention. The old SS set I'm replacing has a
tall stockpot, so this new one would effectually replace it.

I do thank you for pointing that out, however.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Friday, 09(IX)/05(V)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 3dys 7hrs 3mins
ROM wasn't built in a day

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.250...
>

>> I wouldn't buy this set without actually going to the Costco store and
>> examining them, although I'm still attracted to them. It's entirely
>> possible, too, that there may be other cookware at the store that isn't
>> on
>> the website.

>> When I've been to the Costco store, I'll let you know what I think about
>> them hands-on. There was nothing else on their website that I would
>> consider

> I won't be going to Costco until next Sat/Sunday. I'll handle them again.
>
> Who knows but if they decide to discontinue them, perhaps the price will
> go lower at the warehouse.
> Dee

Hi Wayne, I looked at these pots a few times this week. I saw them today
near Harrisburg, PA for $186, and in Connecticut, I believe it was the same
price. I still feel the same about the set. The shapes of the pan to me
are a bit disconcerting, but that's probably just me -- perhaps it is an art
deco look, or something about it. And then, of course, at Costco, they are
not 'presented;' you just look at them at in a bunch sitting there. I can
see them in a thoroughly-modern kitchen, but the shape to me would seem to
dominate. You will certainly have to see them for yourself!

Saturday I went to a restaurant supply house in CT and they had huge
displays of Le Creuset, the baking cassseroles and big pots. They said they
sold loads of Le Creuset. I was surprised to see them there. (No, I didn't
buy one - LOL!)

Yes, we had to stay another day because of Hurricane Hannah. But a
beautiful day today.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun 07 Sep 2008 08:41:12p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> 5.250...
>>

>>> I wouldn't buy this set without actually going to the Costco store and
>>> examining them, although I'm still attracted to them. It's entirely
>>> possible, too, that there may be other cookware at the store that
>>> isn't on
>>> the website.

>>> When I've been to the Costco store, I'll let you know what I think
>>> about them hands-on. There was nothing else on their website that I
>>> would consider

>> I won't be going to Costco until next Sat/Sunday. I'll handle them
>> again.
>>
>> Who knows but if they decide to discontinue them, perhaps the price
>> will go lower at the warehouse.
>> Dee
>>

> Hi Wayne, I looked at these pots a few times this week. I saw them
> today near Harrisburg, PA for $186, and in Connecticut, I believe it was
> the same price. I still feel the same about the set. The shapes of
> the pan to me are a bit disconcerting, but that's probably just me --
> perhaps it is an art deco look, or something about it. And then, of
> course, at Costco, they are not 'presented;' you just look at them at in
> a bunch sitting there. I can see them in a thoroughly-modern kitchen,
> but the shape to me would seem to dominate. You will certainly have to
> see them for yourself!

Thanks, Dee. I do see your point, but I'm not sure the shape would deter
me. However, I still haven't made it to the Costco store to see them.
Life's just been too busy. :-)

Still, that set seems a good quality given my budget. If anyone has a
better suggestion for spending ~$200, I'd be happy to look at them. I
don't want anodized or non-stick cookware. I do want a heavy laminated
bottom. I'm not at all interested in any fully-clad cookware. It would
not be an advantage to me.

> Saturday I went to a restaurant supply house in CT and they had huge
> displays of Le Creuset, the baking cassseroles and big pots. They said
> they sold loads of Le Creuset. I was surprised to see them there. (No,
> I didn't buy one - LOL!)

I've seen similar here, but I definitely don't need any more Le Creuset.
:-)

> Yes, we had to stay another day because of Hurricane Hannah. But a
> beautiful day today.

Sure glad you didn't get in the middle of it!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Sunday, 09(IX)/07(VII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Grandparent's Day
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 1dys 1hrs 32mins
Cats must lick mom's eyes while she is
trying to sleep.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
5.247...
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Forgot to mention that they are made in Thailand.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon 08 Sep 2008 12:41:44p, Dee Randall told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 5.247...
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>

> Forgot to mention that they are made in Thailand.
> Dee Dee

Thank you, Dee. Costco stores are closed on Mondays here, but I plan on
stopping another day this week after work to take a "personal" look. I
appreciate your spending time looking at this set.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 09(IX)/08(VIII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
9wks 10hrs 19mins
The patient's taken a turn for the nurse.

Ping sf Janet B General Cooking 2 16-03-2015 08:05 PM
Ping: Ya BUM kilikini General Cooking 4 20-07-2007 08:33 PM
Ping sf:Where are you? Christine Dabney General Cooking 8 07-02-2007 03:53 AM
PING: ANYONE! MoM General Cooking 18 03-12-2005 03:41 PM