Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Induction hob shortcoming...

I ran up against an unanticipated shortcoming of the Puck induction hob tonight,
when I decided to make a batch of chili. I had to use a Le Creuset 5-1/2 quart,
since it's the largest induction-capable pot I have.

Unfortunately, once the chili thickened slightly, the heat became quite uneven
-- bubbles only in a ~six inch diameter circle in the center, with the
surrounding two-inch wide area quite a bit cooler. This uneven heating
necessitated almost constant stirring.

My conclusion is that the induction hob works fine for thin liquids, but I won't
be using it for anything involving thicker liquids. I'm now doubtful that it
will even be of use for risotto.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or found that other induction hobs
generate their induction over a larger area?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Aug 31, 11:54 pm, pltrgyst > wrote:
> I ran up against an unanticipated shortcoming of the Puck induction hob tonight,
> when I decided to make a batch of chili. I had to use a Le Creuset 5-1/2 quart,
> since it's the largest induction-capable pot I have.
>
> Unfortunately, once the chili thickened slightly, the heat became quite uneven
> -- bubbles only in a ~six inch diameter circle in the center, with the
> surrounding two-inch wide area quite a bit cooler. This uneven heating
> necessitated almost constant stirring.
>
> My conclusion is that the induction hob works fine for thin liquids, but I won't
> be using it for anything involving thicker liquids. I'm now doubtful that it
> will even be of use for risotto.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or found that other induction hobs
> generate their induction over a larger area?
>
> -- Larry

There is a good possibility that what you are experiencing has more to
do with the vessel you are using for the cooking than the hob.

Perhaps the design of the cookware doesn't spread the heat across the
bottom causing what you are experiencing. I have found that various
pieces have different heat conducting properties. Is your piece too
thin -- or, if thick, does it have an small diameter implant.

I use a variety of pots and pans in my experimentation. I don't like
one of my enamel covered cast iron square fry pans that I got from
QVC. I am only partially pleased with my Sunpentown Stock Pot with
cover. I feel it is too thin and doesn't distribute the heat correctly
(perhaps like your problem). I have found some of my old Revere
copper bottom stainless steel pots work very good for some
applications. To my surprise one of those cheap draining cover
spaghetti sets works well for soups and stews. My two favorite sauce
pots are Farberware Advantage that I purchased from Big Lots. My best
large fry pan is a Farberware Millennium that I got at Linens & Things
and my best small fry pan is an unnamed 8 incher that I got at a
military exchange.

I am highly pleased with the induction hob cooking and I am learning
which piece to use with what I want to do.

I have used it for thick contents such as New England Clam Chowder and
stews with thickening.

Try a little experimenting with different pieces and I think you will
probably find the combination that is correct for what you want to do.

Good Luck

Gary Hayman
Greenbelt, Maryland
http://snipurl.com/GarysWebPages

Induction cooking pintlar@node1 General Cooking 7 02-03-2014 09:01 AM
Induction Cooking Explained Part 1 - What is Induction Cooking Tristan Mitchell Tea 0 23-05-2010 06:03 PM
New Induction Hob For Me zydecogary Cooking Equipment 6 31-07-2008 06:05 AM
Induction Woks Stu Cooking Equipment 0 16-03-2008 03:42 PM
induction cooktops victor bull Cooking Equipment 1 08-08-2007 11:35 PM