FoodBanter.com

-   Cooking Equipment (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/)
-   -   Stainless steel (https://www.foodbanter.com/cooking-equipment/154676-stainless-steel.html)

Andy Petro 26-04-2008 07:47 PM

Stainless steel

I have stainless steel pots purchased over 20 years ago . Although they are
thinner gauge they do not stain , leave water marks , and hardly ever need
special cleaners.. What is the difference . Why can't I buy them
to-day.

Edwin Pawlowski 27-04-2008 04:03 AM

Stainless steel

"Andy Petro" > wrote in message
>I have stainless steel pots purchased over 20 years ago . Although they are
>thinner gauge they do not stain , leave water marks , and hardly ever need
>special cleaners.. What is the difference . Why can't I buy them
>to-day.

How thin is thin? Ours (Farberware) are over 40 years old and still in
great condition.
Seems as though Farberware and Reverware is not the same (moved out of the
US) and the choices are either much cheaper or more expensive (such as All
lad) in many cases, but good cookware at reasonable prices is still around.
People have commented onsets from Costco, Wolfgang Puck, Emeril, etc as
being very good.

Del Cecchi[_2_] 27-04-2008 07:10 PM

Stainless steel

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Andy Petro" > wrote in message
>> I have stainless steel pots purchased over 20 years ago . Although they are
>> thinner gauge they do not stain , leave water marks , and hardly ever need
>> special cleaners.. What is the difference . Why can't I buy them
>> to-day.

> How thin is thin? Ours (Farberware) are over 40 years old and still in
> great condition.
> Seems as though Farberware and Reverware is not the same (moved out of the
> US) and the choices are either much cheaper or more expensive (such as All
> lad) in many cases, but good cookware at reasonable prices is still around.
> People have commented onsets from Costco, Wolfgang Puck, Emeril, etc as
> being very good.

All those sets that you list as good at reasonable prices are all made
in China. To my knowledge, which I am sure is incomplete, only lodge
and all clad still manufacture in the USA. And I have seen a couple of
all-clad boxes that say made in (some non us country, I forget which
one) so check, if that is important to you.

del

S Viemeister[_2_] 27-04-2008 08:27 PM

Stainless steel

Del Cecchi wrote:
> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>> "Andy Petro" > wrote in message
>>> I have stainless steel pots purchased over 20 years ago . Although
>>> they are thinner gauge they do not stain , leave water marks , and
>>> hardly ever need special cleaners.. What is the difference .
>>> Why can't I buy them to-day.

>> How thin is thin? Ours (Farberware) are over 40 years old and still
>> in great condition.
>> Seems as though Farberware and Reverware is not the same (moved out of
>> the US) and the choices are either much cheaper or more expensive
>> (such as All lad) in many cases, but good cookware at reasonable
>> prices is still around. People have commented onsets from Costco,
>> Wolfgang Puck, Emeril, etc as being very good.
>>

> All those sets that you list as good at reasonable prices are all made
> in China. To my knowledge, which I am sure is incomplete, only lodge
> and all clad still manufacture in the USA. And I have seen a couple of
> all-clad boxes that say made in (some non us country, I forget which
> one) so check, if that is important to you.

The Costco tri-ply stainless I have, says 'made in Italy'.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 28-04-2008 12:35 AM

Stainless steel

On Sun 27 Apr 2008 12:27:55p, S Viemeister told us...

> Del Cecchi wrote:
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> How thin is thin? Ours (Farberware) are over 40 years old and still
>>> in great condition.
>>> Seems as though Farberware and Reverware is not the same (moved out of
>>> the US) and the choices are either much cheaper or more expensive
>>> (such as All lad) in many cases, but good cookware at reasonable
>>> prices is still around. People have commented onsets from Costco,
>>> Wolfgang Puck, Emeril, etc as being very good.
>>>

>> All those sets that you list as good at reasonable prices are all made
>> in China. To my knowledge, which I am sure is incomplete, only lodge
>> and all clad still manufacture in the USA. And I have seen a couple of
>> all-clad boxes that say made in (some non us country, I forget which
>> one) so check, if that is important to you.
>>

> The Costco tri-ply stainless I have, says 'made in Italy'.

I've been eyeing this Kirkland set at Costco and think it's a reasonable
price at $199.99.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11257108
&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1

or

http://tinyurl.com/6hr69f

I couldn't justify the cost of the Fissler set they have at $524.99.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)

Zeppo 28-04-2008 02:39 AM

Stainless steel

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> Del Cecchi wrote:
>> Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> How thin is thin? Ours (Farberware) are over 40 years old and still in
>>> great condition.
>>> Seems as though Farberware and Reverware is not the same (moved out of
>>> the US) and the choices are either much cheaper or more expensive (such
>>> as All lad) in many cases, but good cookware at reasonable prices is
>>> still around. People have commented onsets from Costco, Wolfgang Puck,
>>> Emeril, etc as being very good.
>>>

>> All those sets that you list as good at reasonable prices are all made in
>> China. To my knowledge, which I am sure is incomplete, only lodge and
>> all clad still manufacture in the USA. And I have seen a couple of
>> all-clad boxes that say made in (some non us country, I forget which one)
>> so check, if that is important to you.
>>

> The Costco tri-ply stainless I have, says 'made in Italy'.

I picked up a 5 qt. Tramontina SS Sauté pan at Costco a few months ago, and
have been extremely happy with it. I wouldn't put it in a class with my
All-clad sauce pan but for $30 I though it was an incredible bargain.

Jon

S Viemeister[_2_] 28-04-2008 12:05 PM

Stainless steel

Zeppo wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> Del Cecchi wrote:
>>>>
>>> All those sets that you list as good at reasonable prices are all made in
>>> China. To my knowledge, which I am sure is incomplete, only lodge and
>>> all clad still manufacture in the USA. And I have seen a couple of
>>> all-clad boxes that say made in (some non us country, I forget which one)
>>> so check, if that is important to you.
>>>

>> The Costco tri-ply stainless I have, says 'made in Italy'.

> I picked up a 5 qt. Tramontina SS Sauté pan at Costco a few months ago, and
> have been extremely happy with it. I wouldn't put it in a class with my
> All-clad sauce pan but for $30 I though it was an incredible bargain.

I haven't seen that one.

They no longer feature the stuff I have, which appears to be identical
to a line sold in the UK called 'Pro-Clad'. I actually prefer it to my
All-Clad!

Zeppo[_1_] 28-04-2008 01:58 PM

Stainless steel

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> Zeppo wrote:

>>> The Costco tri-ply stainless I have, says 'made in Italy'.

>> I picked up a 5 qt. Tramontina SS Sauté pan at Costco a few months ago,
>> and have been extremely happy with it. I wouldn't put it in a class with
>> my All-clad sauce pan but for $30 I though it was an incredible bargain.
>>

> I haven't seen that one.
>
> They no longer feature the stuff I have, which appears to be identical to
> a line sold in the UK called 'Pro-Clad'. I actually prefer it to my
> All-Clad!

They still are selling a stock pot by the manufacturer online and still have
some of the Sauté pans I bought in the store.

http://tinyurl.com/4egfal

Jon

S Viemeister[_2_] 28-04-2008 08:15 PM

Stainless steel

Zeppo wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote
>> Zeppo wrote:

>>> I picked up a 5 qt. Tramontina SS Sauté pan at Costco a few months ago,
>>> and have been extremely happy with it. I wouldn't put it in a class with
>>> my All-clad sauce pan but for $30 I though it was an incredible bargain.
>>>

>> They no longer feature the stuff I have, which appears to be identical to
>> a line sold in the UK called 'Pro-Clad'. I actually prefer it to my
>> All-Clad!

> They still are selling a stock pot by the manufacturer online and still have
> some of the Sauté pans I bought in the store.
> http://tinyurl.com/4egfal

I've seen those - they look very good, especially for the price. But -
the Italian stuff I have doesn't have the disk bottom - it's like
All-Clad, in that it has a stainless lining, an aluminium middle, and a
stainless outer layer, all the way up the sides.

Stu 29-04-2008 07:12 AM

Stainless steel

On Apr 26, 7:47*pm, "Andy Petro" > wrote:
> I have stainless steel pots purchased over 20 years ago . Although they are
> thinner gauge they do not stain , leave water marks , and hardly ever need
> special cleaners.. * * * What is the difference . Why can't I buy them
> to-day.
>
> ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

As world resourses get shorter it is more and more likely cheaper
steel will be used. It's not just a case of how good the ore is, but
what else is being chucked back in it. Don't forget all the steel car
parts rusting away and the pressure to recycle them. It is exactly the
same for cooking appliances and we have seen inferior steel ovens by
manufacturers who used to have the best quality steel 20 years ago. I
agree with the staining and have come across this more often over the
recent years. Best thing is to shop around and take advice. Best of
luck.

Stu
www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk
www.cateringforums.net

Zeppo[_1_] 29-04-2008 05:34 PM

Stainless steel

>> They still are selling a stock pot by the manufacturer online and still
>> have some of the Sauté pans I bought in the store.
>> http://tinyurl.com/4egfal
>>

> I've seen those - they look very good, especially for the price. But -
> the Italian stuff I have doesn't have the disk bottom - it's like
> All-Clad, in that it has a stainless lining, an aluminium middle, and a
> stainless outer layer, all the way up the sides.

Is the bottom very thick? I've seen pots where the sides are flush but the
bottom is just much thicker than the sides of the pot. Pretty much the same
thing in a different style.

Jon

S Viemeister[_2_] 29-04-2008 09:47 PM

Stainless steel

Zeppo wrote:

> Is the bottom very thick? I've seen pots where the sides are flush but the
> bottom is just much thicker than the sides of the pot. Pretty much the same
> thing in a different style.

They appear to be the same thickness throughout. I find that they heat
evenly, don't scorch on the sides (even with a gas flame licking up the
outside), they resist sticking, and clean easily. The handles are
well-designed (I don't need to use a pot-holder), the lids fit well, and
the edges of the pots have a rounded lip, making it easier to pour.

I saw the same pans in one of the more up-scale shops in Edinburgh
(Scotland) a few years ago, under the Pro-Clad name, but I don't know if
they still sell them there.

Dee Dee 01-05-2008 06:10 PM

Stainless steel

On Apr 27, 7:35*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
wrote:
> On Sun 27 Apr 2008 12:27:55p, S Viemeister told us...
>

> > Del Cecchi wrote:
> .. .

> >> All those sets that you list as good at reasonable prices are all made
> >> in China. *To my knowledge, which I am sure is incomplete, only lodge
> >> and all clad still manufacture in the USA. *And I have seen a couple of
> >> all-clad boxes that say made in (some non us country, I forget which
> >> one) so check, if that is important to you.

> > The Costco tri-ply stainless I have, says 'made in Italy'.

> I've been eyeing this Kirkland set at Costco and think it's a reasonable
> price at $199.99.
>
> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11257108
> &whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/6hr69f
>
> I couldn't justify the cost of the Fissler set they have at $524.99.
>
> --
> * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
> * * *Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
> * * * * *Today is: Rogation Sunday * * * *
> * * * * Countdown till Memorial Day * * * *
> * * * * * * *4wks 7hrs 30mins * * * * * * *
> * *Cats must push the VCR off the top of *
> * * * * * * * * * the TV. * * * * * * * * *

Hi Wayne,
This looks like the set that I bought a while back which I've touted
as being the best pans I've ever owned. Yesterday I left in my senior
moment the smallest pot of this set on High with only a cup of
(distilled) water in it for an hour before I discovered it. No
problem, didn't even turn color on the inside; on the outside,the
copper part returned to copper color immediately with a swipe of
barkeep. If they are "made in Italy" I wouldn't hesitate. I say this
only because I love Italian made products (but not the brand names
they farm out to China)

I noticed in our Costco store here in Winchester they recently stopped
carrying the set that I have and are selling another set which I don't
care for (same price $199), as it has the straight up-and-down sides,
whereas, I recall your telling me the advantages of the lip, which I
realize is so important.

Dee Dee

Dee Dee 01-05-2008 06:11 PM

Stainless steel

On Apr 27, 9:39*pm, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message

> > Del Cecchi wrote:
> .. .

> >> All those sets that you list as good at reasonable prices are all made in
> >> China. *To my knowledge, which I am sure is incomplete, only lodge and
> >> all clad still manufacture in the USA. *And I have seen a couple of
> >> all-clad boxes that say made in (some non us country, I forget which one)
> >> so check, if that is important to you.

> > The Costco tri-ply stainless I have, says 'made in Italy'.

> I picked up a 5 qt. Tramontina SS Sauté pan at Costco a few months ago, and
> have been extremely happy with it. I wouldn't put it in a class with my
> All-clad sauce pan but for $30 I though it was an incredible bargain.
>
> Jon- Hide quoted text -

I love this piece. In fact after using it a few times, I bought
another one. And I do use them a lot. Made in Brazil, I believe.

Wayne Boatwright[_4_] 02-05-2008 05:45 AM

Stainless steel

On Thu 01 May 2008 10:10:27a, Dee Dee told us...

> On Apr 27, 7:35*pm, Wayne Boatwright >
> wrote:

of

made

>> > The Costco tri-ply stainless I have, says 'made in Italy'.

>> I've been eyeing this Kirkland set at Costco and think it's a reasonable
>> price at $199.99.
>>
>> http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...rodid=11257108
>> &whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US&s=1
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/6hr69f
>>
>> I couldn't justify the cost of the Fissler set they have at $524.99.
>>
>> --
>> * * * * * * *Wayne Boatwright * * * * * *
>> * * *Sunday, 04(IV)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
>> * * * * *Today is: Rogation Sunday * * * *
>> * * * * Countdown till Memorial Day * * * *
>> * * * * * * *4wks 7hrs 30mins * * * * * * *
>> * *Cats must push the VCR off the top of * * * * * * * * * * the TV. * *
>> text -

> Hi Wayne,
> This looks like the set that I bought a while back which I've touted
> as being the best pans I've ever owned. Yesterday I left in my senior
> moment the smallest pot of this set on High with only a cup of
> (distilled) water in it for an hour before I discovered it. No
> problem, didn't even turn color on the inside; on the outside,the
> copper part returned to copper color immediately with a swipe of
> barkeep. If they are "made in Italy" I wouldn't hesitate. I say this
> only because I love Italian made products (but not the brand names
> they farm out to China)
>
> I noticed in our Costco store here in Winchester they recently stopped
> carrying the set that I have and are selling another set which I don't
> care for (same price $199), as it has the straight up-and-down sides,
> whereas, I recall your telling me the advantages of the lip, which I
> realize is so important.
>
> Dee Dee

Thanks, Dee Dee. I may just have to order them tomorrow! I like Itlian
cooking products, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 05(V)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)

Zeppo[_1_] 02-05-2008 03:42 PM

Stainless steel

> > The Costco tri-ply stainless I have, says 'made in Italy'.

> I picked up a 5 qt. Tramontina SS Sauté pan at Costco a few months ago,
> and
> have been extremely happy with it. I wouldn't put it in a class with my
> All-clad sauce pan but for $30 I though it was an incredible bargain.
>
> Jon- Hide quoted text -

> I love this piece. In fact after using it a few times, I bought
> another one. And I do use them a lot. Made in Brazil, I believe.

Dee Dee,
Me too. I picked up one each for my daughter and step-daughter as well. The
pan has become my favorite new tow in the kitchen.

I did hesitate before buying it as my last foray into a SS Sauté were some
Farberware pans that were way too thin for even heat distribution. I burned
quite a few dishes trying to figure out how best to use them before just
giving up and switching to my wife's Circulon.

However Tramontina has restored my faith in stainless steel pans.

Jon