Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking
Experienced Member

Location: Las Vegas, NV
Default Electric pressure cookers - how can I get one (in the UK)

"ship" > wrote in message

> Hi
>
> I am looking for an electric pressure cooker.
> Have any of you come across such a thing for sale in the UK?
> They exist in the USA but I cant find anyone who will export one to me
> in here in the UK.
>
> Background
> Basically I am looking for the fastest possible way of cooking my
> lunch
> without using a microwave oven. I have noticed that water in my
> electric
> hob boils about 5 times slower than does my kettle. So I figure an
> electric
> pressure cooker (with element built in) would cook very much faster
> (and be better for the environment due to less wasted heat) than would
> a passive tradition pressure cooker.
>
> Conceivably I might even use the thing as a SLOW cooker too, whereby
> I could set it running on slow when I leave for work and come back and
> find my lunch ready.
>
> - Any thoughts
>
> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>

>http://www.germanpool.com/eng/products/p_ge_myc601.html

Tonia

Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Janet Wilder > wrote:

> As long as everyone is eating the stew and not complaining, I'm not
> making any technique changes.

You bet!!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com;pics of my no-knead bread posted
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

ship > wrote:

> On Feb 14, 4:30˙pm, "Elmo P. Shagnasty" >
> wrote:
>>
>> I mean, why bother to, say, cook bacon in the microwave--one of the
>> foods that actually excels in the microwave, cooks better than on the
>> stove, cooks faster, uses a ton less energy, and gets rid of the grease
>> better?
>>
>> Nah. ˙Better to eat it raw. ˙Wouldn't want to violate those ideals.

> Not a bad plan. Full of vitamins and enzymes.
> Very tasty too if you like fresh tapeworm eggs.

I don't know where you buy your bacon, but I expect if it has any tapeworm
eggs there will be some health inspectors would very much like to know.

I had a chat some time back with a local producer of pork and bacon: they
said they only sell cooked ham (because that is where most of the demand
is), but some of their customers buy their dry-cured bacon and just thinly
slice it for raw ham.

I must admit though I've never thought of cooking bacon in a microwave.
Given how little time it takes to cook anyway I can't see it will save much
time or energy, but does it really brown and crisp up?
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Following up to Duncan Booth > wrote:

>I must admit though I've never thought of cooking bacon in a microwave.
>Given how little time it takes to cook anyway I can't see it will save much
>time or energy, but does it really brown and crisp up?

does anything caramelise in a microwave?
--
Mike
Remove clothing to email
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.equipment,rec.food.cooking

Mike....... > wrote:

> Following up to Duncan Booth > wrote:
>
>>I must admit though I've never thought of cooking bacon in a
>>microwave. Given how little time it takes to cook anyway I can't see
>>it will save much time or energy, but does it really brown and crisp
>>up?

> does anything caramelise in a microwave?

Yes, it can if it gets hot enough. That's why they sell special plates for
things like pizza which are designed to get very hot and crisp the pizza
base. The original suggestion didn't include any special instructions
though which is why I was asking: there isn't much point in floppy
uncrisped bacon. I've also seen it recommended to do crackling in the
microwave, but the only time I tried I got a soggy mess.

And for more microwave fun: http://www.pmichaud.com/grape/