Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

Default do not shop at Kitchen Universe online

I was looking around for that 10" wide Wusthof chef's knife
recommended here and ended up at one of those websites that shows the
various vendors of the item being sought. In this case, Kitchen
Universe was listed along with Amazon, and their price for what
clearly said "wide" body knife on this page was lower than Amazon's,
so I surfed over there to see about ordering it. To make a long story
short, I ordered the knife, and then when I read the order
confirmation, I noticed that the word "wide" was nowhere in the
product description, so I immediately replied to the email (it was the
same address as listed on the Kitchen Universe website) and told them
to cancel the order (and included [cancel this order] in the subject
header). No reply, so I sent a followup to remind them to cancel the
order, and still no reply. The payment went through on my credit
card, and I was furious. On top of that, they sent me a shipping
confirmation 6 days later telling me that the knife had shipped and
that I now could not change the order. Well, this was even more
infuriating because they were not answering their telephone either, so
now I have a written complaint in to my credit card along with a
screen capture of the website that caused all these problems plus
copies of the emails I sent. So, I recommend that no one buy anything
from Kitchen Universe because they are a fraudulent business.
Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 21:21:30 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 01:58:09 GMT, KLS wrote:
>
>> I was looking around for that 10" wide Wusthof chef's knife
>> recommended here and ended up at one of those websites that shows the
>> various vendors of the item being sought. In this case, Kitchen
>> Universe was listed along with Amazon, and their price for what
>> clearly said "wide" body knife on this page was lower than Amazon's,
>> so I surfed over there to see about ordering it. To make a long story
>> short, I ordered the knife, and then when I read the order
>> confirmation, I noticed that the word "wide" was nowhere in the
>> product description,

>I don't even see it offered on their site. Gotta link?

That's the point: they don't sell this item, but they link to their
website from another site: pronto.com that shows vendors selling the
item. Here's the link in question:
http://www.pronto.com/Wusthof-4584-2...10304536998-CG

I think this is fraudulent advertising, and I don't appreciate their
unresponsiveness.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"KLS" > wrote in message
>I was looking around for that 10" wide Wusthof chef's knife
> recommended here and ended up at one of those websites that shows the
> various vendors of the item being sought. In this case, Kitchen
> Universe was listed along with Amazon, and their price for what
> clearly said "wide" body knife on this page was lower than Amazon's,
> so I surfed over there to see about ordering it. To make a long story
> short, I ordered the knife, and then when I read the order
> confirmation, I noticed that the word "wide" was nowhere in the
> product description,

You did not do your homework. If you took the time to double check things,
you'd have seen that the model number is different. The photo looks
different. You just can't trust a link.

> Well, this was even more
> infuriating because they were not answering their telephone either, so
> now I have a written complaint in to my credit card along with a
> screen capture of the website that caused all these problems plus
> copies of the emails I sent. So, I recommend that no one buy anything
> from Kitchen Universe because they are a fraudulent business.

The customer service is crappy, but they are not fraudulent. Look at the
photo and the model number. If they sent was is shown, they did exactly
what you asked. You have a legitimate complaint about service, but you have
no complaint about the product they sold as it is exactly what you asked
for.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 22:53:15 -0500, "Edwin Pawlowski"
> wrote:

>You have a legitimate complaint about service, but you have
>no complaint about the product they sold as it is exactly what you asked
>for.

Also, the knife was not sold by Kitchen Universe at all. It
was purchased from Pronto.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 22:40:56 -0600, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Dec 2007 23:04:43 -0500, Kenneth wrote:
>
>> Also, the knife was not sold by Kitchen Universe at all. It
>> was purchased from Pronto.

>I wondered about that, but certainly cooking.com is not
>affiliated with them. I doubt some of the others are pronto,
>too.
>
>-sw

Howdy,

I have no knowledge of all this, but did follow the link
(posted by the OP, I believe) and it took me to the Pronto
site.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 21:02:15 GMT, Sqwertz
> wrote:

>Pronto is the comparison shopping site - which forwards you to
>other sites.

Howdy,

Of course, you are right...

'Sorry for contributing to the confusion.

All the best,
--
Kenneth