Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

Default 10" vs. 12" chef's knife

I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.

Any thoughts on one vs. the other?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

KLS wrote:
> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>
> Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Make sure the weight is comfortable in your hand.
Have a _very_ large cutting board, if you intend to use the 12".
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article > on Fri, 21 Dec
2007 12:37:16 GMT, KLS wrote:

> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>
> Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Well, my first advice, of course, would be to try them in person. If
that's not possible - are you planning for this to be your every day
heavy usage chef's knife? If so, I think 12" is too long.

Also, if you're planning to keep it in a block, most of them won't hold
knives over 10".

I went from an 8" Sabatier to a 10" Henckels 4 Star to a Wusthof 10"
extra-wide. I really, really like the 10" extra-wide. It's got a little
extra rock, and more heft, than the standard 10" knives, without the
excessive (IMO) length of the 12".

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 2007-12-21, KLS > wrote:
> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>
> Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Assuming your goal is to kill your spouse (which seems a reasonable
assumption, given the equipment you're shopping for), I'd go for the
12" model. Yes, it's going to be less maneuverable so you'll probably
have to make several attempts before you actually manage to penetrate
an important internal organ, but I think the main benefit is the
intimidation and fear it will instill in your prey.

Seriously, I used a friend's 10" knife a couple of times -- it was
either Wusthoff or Henkels, but I don't remember. The thing is
enormous. Granted, it has its uses, but if I had one, I would reach
for it instead of my 8" knife only a few times a year. I think 12" is
just excessive. But as others have said, put your hands on one before
buying, if at all possible.

Back in the days when battles were fought hand-to-hand, a 12" blade
would have been called a sword, not a knife. (Probably even true of
the 10" blade, actually.)

--
Randall
Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:24:41 -0500, Seth Goodman >
wrote:

>In article > on Fri, 21 Dec
>2007 12:37:16 GMT, KLS wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
>> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
>> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
>> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.

>Well, my first advice, of course, would be to try them in person. If
>that's not possible - are you planning for this to be your every day
>heavy usage chef's knife? If so, I think 12" is too long.
>
>Also, if you're planning to keep it in a block, most of them won't hold
>knives over 10".
>
>I went from an 8" Sabatier to a 10" Henckels 4 Star to a Wusthof 10"
>extra-wide. I really, really like the 10" extra-wide. It's got a little
>extra rock, and more heft, than the standard 10" knives, without the
>excessive (IMO) length of the 12".

I want to thank you and the other two posters who replied to my
question. You've all pretty much confirmed my gut instinct that I
would not be happy with the 12", and your suggestion to go with the
extra wide body is a good one that I'll investigate.

I like my 8", which I use almost exclusively, but every so often I
just want something bigger for efficient cutting/dicing of large
onions and the like. The extra rock of the extra wide blade sounds
exactly like what I want. If you can point me to a good online vendor
for that knife, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again, and happy holidays!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"KLS" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>
> Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

I have an 8" and a 10" Wusthof. The 10" is huge, and I have a little bit of
trouble using it on my boards, so I use it primarily for large foods, like
cabbage or big squash or melons. I would have trouble using a 12" on my
counter tops! I use the 8" a lot more than the 10" and I really wouldn't
consider a 12" unless I had way too much money, and just wanted it for the
Crocodile Dundee moments.

There's probably a good reason the 12" is a better deal than the 10"! If you
can even find a 12" knife at a shop, handle one before buying! It's probably
bigger than you're thinking.

Cheers!
Mo

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I've used a 12" as my regular knife for the past 20 years. If you can
handle it, and you are doing heavy production its worth its weight in gold.
There is more blade to use, and it will not get dull in as short of time.

If however you are using it casually at home that will probably not be an
issue.
"KLS" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>
> Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article > on Fri, 21 Dec
2007 14:07:30 GMT, KLS wrote:

> If you can point me to a good online vendor
> for that knife, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again, and happy holidays!

Mine came from PCD 8 or 9 years ago, but they don't show it on their web
site. (I'm not sure I'd even consider them a knife store anymore.)

I did find it at:
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=605

I last bought from this merchant about a year ago, and was very happy
with them. (NAJASCYYY) They get $170 for it (ouch! - when I got it, it
cost $99), which seems to be the going rate, according to a quick
Google, and a visit to Amazon.

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Seth Goodman" > wrote in message
.net...
> In article > on Fri, 21 Dec
> 2007 12:37:16 GMT, KLS wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
>> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
>> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
>> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>>
>> Any thoughts on one vs. the other?
>>

> Well, my first advice, of course, would be to try them in person. If
> that's not possible - are you planning for this to be your every day
> heavy usage chef's knife? If so, I think 12" is too long.
>
> Also, if you're planning to keep it in a block, most of them won't hold
> knives over 10".
>
> I went from an 8" Sabatier to a 10" Henckels 4 Star to a Wusthof 10"
> extra-wide. I really, really like the 10" extra-wide. It's got a little
> extra rock, and more heft, than the standard 10" knives, without the
> excessive (IMO) length of the 12".

I just noticed the Wusthoff 10" extra-wide on Amazon this morning and was
sorely tempted.

However, I just went from an 8" Sabatier chef's knife to a 7" Henckels 4
star Santoku recently (Hanukah gift from the wife), and another new chef's
knife would have been a little insulting.

I still use the 8" once in a while but the Santoku has been incredible for
most uses. It took a little getting used to the different shape of the blade
as my use of band-aids the first week or two attested to, but it's been
pretty impressive and I'm real happy with it. Great balance and wicked
sharp, too.

Jon

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:01:32 -0500, Peter A >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...
>> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
>> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
>> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
>> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>>
>> Any thoughts on one vs. the other?
>>

>For many years, my favorite knife (90%) has been an 8 inch Henckle's
>chef's knife. Based on that experience, I popped for a 10" Henckle's. It
>was a big disappointment. Not the quality, which is fine, but the size
>and heft - and particularly the thickness of the blade - make it
>difficult and unpleasant to use for everyday cutting tasks. When I need
>to behead an ox, I get it out, but otherwise it sits in the drawer. I
>cannot imagine a 12 inch!

All good thoughts, gentle people, and I appreciate them. I think I'm
going to chill out for a while now, but that widebody baby does appeal
to me.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:37:16 GMT, KLS > wrote:

>I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
>or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
>can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
>sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>
>Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

You don't say *why* you want a bigger one -- as a replacement, or as a
supplement. If as a supplement, then I'd say a wide 12. If it's a
replacement, I'd recommend a wide 10".

I have a Wusthof 10" Culinar, a Sabatier 8" carbon steel, and a
Henckels 10" chefs' in my retired drawer. None of them made it as a
primary tool.

Like a few of the others, I greatly prefer the Wusthof wide chef's
knives. I have a 12" bought at Dehillerin in Paris, which is a dead
ringer for the Wusthof wide 12. It gets used only for massive tasks --
large melons, whole cheeses, splitting large birds. ( Not for chopping
-- that's the province of the Global forged cleaver, by far the best
I've ever tried.)

The workhorse in our house is the Wusthof 8" wide chefs. It's just
right for my wife (5' 8") and fine for me (6'3", 210). If it was just
me, I'd probably choose the 10" wide, but for both of us the 8 is the
proportionally better rocker at 1-7/8" wide vs. 2" wide for the 10.

That said, we both tend to grab the Shun 8" chef's for repeated fine
work and very thin slicing. It's a razor, and the reason the Sabatier
carbon steel has been retired.

BTW, there's an excellent wide compromise available of you don't want
the added heft of the Wusthof wides. Lamson, an American company,
makes excellent LamsonSharp wide-blade chef's knives with slightly
less heft than the Wusthof's. I have an 8" with a white pearl-like
handle, and the quality is every bit as fine as anything from Germany.
It too is 1-7/8 wide.

Anyway, my advice would be to not choose between lengths based on
price. Think more about your needs.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"KLS" > wrote in message
> I'm trying to decide whether to buy a 12" Henckels Pro S chef's knife
> or pay more for the 10". I have the 8" and want a larger one, but I
> can't decide whether the 12" would be too much bigger. There's a good
> sale on the 12", whereas the 10" pricing is higher and not discounted.
>
> Any thoughts on one vs. the other?

Personal preference of course, but I have a 12" knife and it is the least
used knife in the house. It is just too long for many uses. If you can
handle on before you spend the money.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I wanna replace my 8" with a 10" but 12" is just silly.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:33:14 -0800, "Slippy" > wrote:

>I wanna replace my 8" with a 10" but 12" is just silly.

Well, for those of you with narrow minds, Wusthof makes a 14" chef's
as well. 8

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 08:10:48 -0400, pltrgyst >
wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 21:33:14 -0800, "Slippy" > wrote:
>
>>I wanna replace my 8" with a 10" but 12" is just silly.

>Well, for those of you with narrow minds, Wusthof makes a 14" chef's
>as well. 8

Ha. Well, I've dropped the 12" idea, you'll all be thrilled to know,
and in the process, I encountered an interesting alternative, the 9"
at a very reasonable price:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI

I might buy this one and see how it goes as it's not a whole lot of
money and is longer than my 8" workhorse.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"KLS" > wrote in message
> Ha. Well, I've dropped the 12" idea, you'll all be thrilled to know,
> and in the process, I encountered an interesting alternative, the 9"
> at a very reasonable price:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI
>
> I might buy this one and see how it goes as it's not a whole lot of
> money and is longer than my 8" workhorse.

I figure I can always use an extra inch!

Since you are looking to change knives, have you thought about trying a
santoku? I bought two and my wife won't use anything else now. Ours are
both Furi.