Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Kitchen Aid Proline Food Processor 850 manufactured in China

I wrote Kitchen Aid regardingthe location of the manufacture of their
850 Proline Processor.
Response:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for visiting the KitchenAid website!
Our records indicate that the Pro Line Food Processor is manufactured
by Whirlpool Corporation in China.
There has been much coverage in the media recently on the recalls of
Chinese-made products due to lead content in the paint. The U.S. Food
and Drug Administration (FDA) regulate all food-contact containers.
All KitchenAid products, regardless of location of manufacture, are
tested to ensure that they meet US food safety guidelines. Please know
that you can be confident that we are committed to the safety and well-
being of our consumers, and that consumer health and safety is our
highest priority. KitchenAid products are extensively tested for
safety, quality and durability.
All KitchenAid products comply with the safety standards of the U.S.
Food and Drug Administration.
If you have further questions or comments you may e-mail me or feel
free to contact our Customer Satisfaction Center at 800-541-6390
between the hours of 8am to 8pm, Monday through Friday, and 10am to
5pm on Saturday (ET).
Thank you for contacting KitchenAid!
Best regards,
Lenné
Communications CoordinatorKitchenAid Customer Satisfaction Center

So I purchased the Magimix 4200XL from Williams-Sonoma, $200 more than
the Kitchen Aid, but I am so tired of once great American products now
manufactured by the Chinese....
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
I wrote Kitchen Aid regardingthe location of the manufacture of their
850 Proline Processor.
Response:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for visiting the KitchenAid website!
Our records indicate that the Pro Line Food Processor is manufactured
by Whirlpool Corporation in China.
There has been much coverage in the media recently on the recalls of
Chinese-made products due to lead content in the paint. The U.S. Food
and Drug Administration (FDA) regulate all food-contact containers.
All KitchenAid products, regardless of location of manufacture, are
tested to ensure that they meet US food safety guidelines. Please know
that you can be confident that we are committed to the safety and well-
being of our consumers, and that consumer health and safety is our
highest priority. KitchenAid products are extensively tested for
safety, quality and durability.
All KitchenAid products comply with the safety standards of the U.S.
Food and Drug Administration.
If you have further questions or comments you may e-mail me or feel
free to contact our Customer Satisfaction Center at 800-541-6390
between the hours of 8am to 8pm, Monday through Friday, and 10am to
5pm on Saturday (ET).
Thank you for contacting KitchenAid!
Best regards,
Lenné
Communications CoordinatorKitchenAid Customer Satisfaction Center

So I purchased the Magimix 4200XL from Williams-Sonoma, $200 more than
the Kitchen Aid, but I am so tired of once great American products now
manufactured by the Chinese....

I don't believe Kitchen Aid food processors were ever manufactured in
USA.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article > on Wed, 19 Dec 2007
09:51:16 -0600, Del Cecchi wrote:

> I don't believe Kitchen Aid food processors were ever manufactured in
> USA.

You're right. Originally they were made by Robot-Coupe in France. (The
same people who made the original Cuisinart.) Robot-Coupe is still the
benchmark for pro food processors.

And now, Magimix food processors are made in France by Robot-Coupe.

The more things change... ;-)

--
Seth Goodman
Posted to rec.food.equipment

> wrote in message
I wrote Kitchen Aid regardingthe location of the manufacture of their
850 Proline Processor.
Response:

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for visiting the KitchenAid website!
Our records indicate that the Pro Line Food Processor is manufactured
by Whirlpool Corporation in China....
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< <<<<<<<<<<

I recently visited the local shops, and found that the 750/760 12 cup models
are also made in China. It seems that the 11 cup model that preceded the
current line were the last ones made in France, presumably by Robot Coupe.
Reading reviews online, most users seem to love the Chinese Kitchenaids,
though some recurring complaints keep popping up. Apparently they leak if
processing even a small amount of liquid, due to the pusher unit/lid
overhanging the bowl. Also I read numerous reports of the disc holder
jamming onto the drive when using it to slice or shred, which apparently
results in the unit being "totaled." Kitchenaid apparently replaces the
whole base unit if it's in warranty, but what about after warranty? These
issues really concerned me, making me steer clear of the 12 cup unit. I was
not sure, until now, where the 850 was made, but I read a couple of reports
of the top flying off while grating cheese, so I expect it has its own
issues. I was also suspicious of the dramatic drop in price over the last
couple of years (from $499 to $299?).

I considered buying one of the last French Kitchenaids, the 670, on eBay,
but in the end I decided I really wanted a warranty if I was going to have
to spend so much on the machine. Finally I broke down and ordered the
Magimix 5150 from Chef's. Magimix has been the gold standard for food
processors in Europe for 30+ years. They are made by Robot Coupe, as were
the classic Cuisinarts and Kitchenaids. I expect that more models will be
available, and more retailers will be selling them in the US, now that KAs
are made in China. Maybe that will drive the price down a bit.

I also considered the Viking fp, but decided against it after finding they
are made in China, too.

The Magimix is scheduled for delivery today, I'm really excited to finally
see one after several weeks of research and anticipation. I will be sure to
post a review once I have spent some time using it.

Cheers!
Mo