Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Help: looking for a good Portable Electric burner

Hi,

Please help...

I've been looking for a powerful portable electric burner and can't
seem to find one. At the minimum the burner must be able to boil
a good size pot of water as fast as your typical home range.

Does such a thing exist? ...or should I just go a get a portable
gas burner?

Thanks

Red.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

2000CLK > wrote:
>I've been looking for a powerful portable electric burner and can't
>seem to find one. At the minimum the burner must be able to boil
>a good size pot of water as fast as your typical home range.

Get an induction "burner". I saw them on sale at my local "99 Ranch"
(Chinese grocery store up and down the West Coast) for about $50; we
bought our Sunpentown 1881W for about $140 online, one pan included...

They're safer and more efficient than any standard electric *or*
gas burner. Just gotta have "ferrous" cookware (i.e., metal that
magnets will stick to the bottom of).

Donald
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default looking for a good Portable Electric burner

"2000CLK" > wrote in message

> I've been looking for a powerful portable electric burner and can't
> seem to find one. At the minimum the burner must be able to boil
> a good size pot of water as fast as your typical home range.
>
> Does such a thing exist? ...or should I just go a get a portable
> gas burner?

Portable means 120 volt and that effectively limits you to 1500 watts, or
about 5100 Btu. You can buy gas fired burners that are over 100,000 Btu.
Northern Tool carries some turkey fryer burners.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I will look into these as well...I wonder how large are these things.

I'm hoping it's still portable. I was wondering the same thing...that
current burners are limited by standard voltage.

Will look into this.

Thanks

In article > ,
says...

>"2000CLK" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've been looking for a powerful portable electric burner and can't
>> seem to find one. At the minimum the burner must be able to boil
>> a good size pot of water as fast as your typical home range.
>>
>> Does such a thing exist? ...or should I just go a get a portable
>> gas burner?

>Portable means 120 volt and that effectively limits you to 1500 watts, or
>about 5100 Btu. You can buy gas fired burners that are over 100,000 Btu.
>Northern Tool carries some turkey fryer burners.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

2000CLK > wrote:
> I will look into these as well...I wonder how large are these things.

> I'm hoping it's still portable. I was wondering the same thing...that
> current burners are limited by standard voltage.

I have heard that induction "burners" are very efficient and heat
the pot up very fast, but have no personal experience.

I have a gas turkey fryer type and would not recommend it for any
indoor use, ever. They are too big and would be too dangerous indoors.
I got mine at Home Depot.

I have used a small, one burner, butane stove to heat oil for making
funnel cakes so I know it heats pretty well. They are popular with
catering companies and for use making omlettes to order at brunches.
Here is a link to one on the web
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/1-bu.../472E10SL.html
I know nothing about the web dealer, it's just the first link I found.

I bought one at Target for maybe $25, and they sell the fuel canisters.
It was in the camping section.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 2007-12-14, > wrote:
> 2000CLK > wrote:
>> I will look into these as well...I wonder how large are these things.

>> I'm hoping it's still portable. I was wondering the same thing...that
>> current burners are limited by standard voltage.

> I have heard that induction "burners" are very efficient and heat
> the pot up very fast, but have no personal experience.

[...]

I do, as of a couple of weeks ago. I got a Sunpentown SR-1891B
portable induction cooktop. This runs on standard 120V power and is
rated at only 1300W, but boy can it bring water to a boil in a hurry.
Unlike an electric coil, you don't have to wait for the coil itself to
heat up -- the cookware starts heating as soon as you press the
button. It's also extremely responsive -- when you turn the power
down, a boil turns into a simmer in a few seconds.

One word of warning -- check out the dimensions before you buy,
because these things are bigger than they look when you're checking
them out online. The actual cooking surface (a ceramic glass) is
about 12" square, then there's some plastic around that. And therein
lies a design flaw on this model -- if your cookware is bigger than
12", or you slide it around so that hot metal touches the plastic, the
plastic will melt a little. Sunpentown makes a more expensive model
with a stainless steel frame that wouldn't have this problem. Still,
the melted plastic is just an aesthetic issue -- the thing still works
just fine. I didn't even smell any noxious fumes when it happened to
me.

Of course, you might have to buy new cookware to use with induction.
Check with a magnet -- if a normal magnet sticks to the bottom of the
cookware, it will work. Cast iron and carbon steel (enameled or
otherwise) always work. Some stainless steel works and some doesn't,
depending on the formulation of the alloy. Copper and aluminum don't,
unless covered in the kind of stainless steel that does.

--
Randall