Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default Henckels Santoku knife

Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife. It
is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.

I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but can
anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I expect it
to last?

It is the knife shown he

http://tinyurl.com/2v5ekt

or

http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww...tikel_id/25276

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Peter wrote:
> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line"
> knife. It is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>
> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife,
> but can anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it,
> can I expect it to last?

Yes.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Peter wrote:
> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife. It
> is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>
> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but can
> anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I expect it
> to last?

I keep hearing about Santoku knives. What is so different about them
and what do you use them for?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Sharon V" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife.
>> It is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>>
>> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but
>> can anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I
>> expect it to last?
>>

> I keep hearing about Santoku knives. What is so different about them and
> what do you use them for?

It is a japanese style general purpose knife, used in much the same way as a
chef's knife. I'm sure there are lots of rules about what makes each one
different, I don't know them, I just like the feel of santoku knives.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:18:46 -0500, Sharon V
> wrote:

>Peter wrote:
>> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife. It
>> is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>>
>> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but can
>> anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I expect it
>> to last?
>>

>I keep hearing about Santoku knives. What is so different about them
>and what do you use them for?

Instead of having a curve like the French blade,santoku is straight.
Hubby likes the Santoku, but my initial reaction to it has diminished
and I've gone back to my french blade. I prefer the rocking motion of
french. Biggest complaint: I haven't successfully resharpened the
santoku back to my liking yet.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:18:46 -0500, Sharon V
> > wrote:
>
>>Peter wrote:
>>> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife.
>>> It
>>> is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>>>
>>> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but
>>> can
>>> anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I expect
>>> it
>>> to last?
>>>

>>I keep hearing about Santoku knives. What is so different about them
>>and what do you use them for?

> Instead of having a curve like the French blade,santoku is straight.
> Hubby likes the Santoku, but my initial reaction to it has diminished
> and I've gone back to my french blade. I prefer the rocking motion of
> french. Biggest complaint: I haven't successfully resharpened the
> santoku back to my liking yet.

The one I am looking at is not completely straight. It curves up towards
the last 1 1/2" or so, it is still fine for rocking the blade to mince.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:01:48 -0500, "Peter" > wrote:

>The one I am looking at is not completely straight. It curves up towards
>the last 1 1/2" or so, it is still fine for rocking the blade to mince.

I think yours is better for the mincing action I like.

Mine is a Wüsthof. "Technically" you could call it curved, because
when you put it on a flat surface you might be able to fit a hair
(literally) under the front and back of the blade.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message

> OK, one more time:

So we won't have to hear you whine from now on?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 20:01:48 -0500, "Peter" > wrote:
>
>>The one I am looking at is not completely straight. It curves up towards
>>the last 1 1/2" or so, it is still fine for rocking the blade to mince.

> I think yours is better for the mincing action I like.
>
> Mine is a Wüsthof. "Technically" you could call it curved, because
> when you put it on a flat surface you might be able to fit a hair
> (literally) under the front and back of the blade.

Whats up with the Germans making Japanese blades? :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:01:22 -0500, Peter wrote:
>
>> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife.
>> It
>> is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.

> It a great knife. It's the knife I use 85% of the time. All my
> other more expensive 5-Star and Professional S Henckels take a
> back seat to this one.
>
> -sw

Thanks for the opinion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Peter" > wrote in message

> Whats up with the Germans making Japanese blades? :-)

In a word, $$$$$$$$$$$

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Peter wrote:
> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife. It
> is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>
> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but can
> anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I expect it
> to last?
>

> It is the knife shown he
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2v5ekt
>
> or
>
> http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww...tikel_id/25276

Is the link correct? It links to the "TWIN Cermax 30867-181" which is in
the $200 range.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Peter" > wrote in message

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in message
>>
>> OK, one more time:
>>

> So we won't have to hear you whine from now on?

God forbid! No! We have to have a whiner. Steve is sort a "polite" Kevin S.
Wilson
who also knows a lot about food. We all lurk daily to hear his next message.

Keep them coming Steve,

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Peter" > wrote in message

> <sf> wrote in message ...
>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:18:46 -0500, Sharon V
>> > wrote:

>>>I keep hearing about Santoku knives. What is so different about them
>>>and what do you use them for?

>> Instead of having a curve like the French blade,santoku is straight.
>> Hubby likes the Santoku, but my initial reaction to it has diminished
>> and I've gone back to my french blade. I prefer the rocking motion of
>> french. Biggest complaint: I haven't successfully resharpened the
>> santoku back to my liking yet.

> The one I am looking at is not completely straight. It curves up towards
> the last 1 1/2" or so, it is still fine for rocking the blade to mince.

I have the same knife, purchased on sale, so I bought it.
It's excellent for thinly slicing a piece of meat, like ham, or bottom
round. It doesn't
chop onions, carrots, etc, satisfactorily at all. You can do it, but you
wish you had a better knife.
I wouldn't buy it unless you have a Henckel's chef knife along side. Even
then, I use the chef's knife
for most slicing. If you want to slice ham into thin slices, the Santoku
does the job better.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:03:28 -0600, Sqwertz > wrote:

>.... I've only
>used my Henckels 5-Star 8" wide blade chefs knife maybe 10 times
>in 3 years after getting one of these santokus.

I have never heard of a Henckel's wide-blade chef's longer than six inches. Do
you by any chance have a pointer to any information about this knife?

Thanks -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:01:22 -0500, "Peter" > wrote:

>Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife. It
>is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>
>I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but can
>anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I expect it
>to last?

Yes. But have you also considered one with a Granton edge (also called kullens)?
I find they make a santoku more versatile.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:59:12 -0500, pltrgyst
> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:03:28 -0600, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>.... I've only used my Henckels 5-Star 8" wide blade chefs knife maybe 10 times
>>in 3 years after getting one of these santokus.

>I have never heard of a Henckel's wide-blade chef's longer than six inches.

Needed to look it up. Guess I've had a wide blade (6 inch) all this
time and never even knew it.

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...ml?s=H30045200

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Peter" > wrote in message
> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife.

It
> is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>
> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but

can
> anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I expect

it
> to last?

You can't go wrong with Henckels. They've yet to destroy their product line
by replacing it with cheap imitations of themselves, which seems to be the
corporate model these days. Don't abuse it, have it professionally
sharpened, hone it frequently and it will last 100 years.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:18:46 -0500, Sharon V
> > wrote:
>
> >Peter wrote:
> >> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife.

It
> >> is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
> >>
> >> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife,

but can
> >> anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I

expect it
> >> to last?
> >>

> >I keep hearing about Santoku knives. What is so different about them
> >and what do you use them for?

> Instead of having a curve like the French blade,santoku is straight.
> Hubby likes the Santoku, but my initial reaction to it has diminished
> and I've gone back to my french blade. I prefer the rocking motion of
> french. Biggest complaint: I haven't successfully resharpened the
> santoku back to my liking yet.

For 3 bucks have it done right by a pro. You won't believe the quality of
the edge they can put on it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"George" > wrote in message
> Peter wrote:
>> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife.
>> It is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>>
>> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but
>> can anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I
>> expect it to last?
>>

>> It is the knife shown he
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/2v5ekt
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww...tikel_id/25276
>>

> Is the link correct? It links to the "TWIN Cermax 30867-181" which is in
> the $200 range.

I think I may have linked to the wrong one... I don't see the cheapo on
there, but it is cheap :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 03:45:19 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Yo, Kunt - he wasn't talking to me. But thanks for the
>compliment.

Spare us the misogynistic insults: find a gender neutral way to
offend people. I suggest "asshole."
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

wrote:

> >>.... I've only
> >>used my Henckels 5-Star 8" wide blade chefs knife maybe 10 times
> >>in 3 years after getting one of these santokus.

> > I have never heard of a Henckel's wide-blade chef's longer than six

inches. Do
> > you by any chance have a pointer to any information about this knife?

> Sorry - it is a 6"er - actually it's 6.5" measuring the actual
> blade only (we guys love to exaggerate). It's from the 4-Star
> line. I also have the 8" 5-Star but not in wide blade format.
> Also the 10" Pro-S (for spathcocking my chickens and ducks)
>
> -sw

Try scissors fir spatchcocking. Quicker and better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

agrunspan wrote:

> Forschner ($59). >
> Might be an option to consider.

> I guess the best advice is to buy a knife that works in your hand, has a
> high carbon content, and is affordable for you.

The voice of sanity. Thank you.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 22:11:46 -0800, sf wrote:

>>>.... I've only used my Henckels 5-Star 8" wide blade chefs knife maybe 10 times
>>>in 3 years after getting one of these santokus.

>>I have never heard of a Henckel's wide-blade chef's longer than six inches.

>Needed to look it up. Guess I've had a wide blade (6 inch) all this
>time and never even knew it.
>
>>Do you by any chance have a pointer to any information about this knife?
>>

>http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/st...ml?s=H30045200

That's Henckel's standard 8-incher -- the term wide is advertisement speak only.
It's not deep-bellied anywhere near the Wusthofs.

I just checked the Henckels site at
http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww...ategorie_id/11
and confirmed that the 6" is indeed still their longest wide-bodied chef's
knife. Too bad -- I'm always looking for deep-bodied knives.

-- Larry (sorry for the URL -- tinyurl seems to be out of commission at the
moment, with "Internal Server Error[s]")
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:28:07 -0500, Peter wrote:
>
>> Whats up with the Germans making Japanese blades? :-)

> And to top that off - Some of the cheaper stamped Henckels steel
> you see being sold at Target and Walmart are actually made in
> Japan.
>
> -sw

I refuse to shop at either :-)

I did pick up the Santoku though. I only used it to chop 3lbs of carrots and
a couple onions for a huge pot of cream of carrot soup, but I can see it
becoming my first choice in the kitchen. Will have to try it on some fish
tonight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking, rec.food.equipment

On Nov 18, 6:01 pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> Thinking of picking up the Henckels Santoku "international line" knife. It
> is their value brand, and a 7" knife, and a good price.
>
> I've used one and I really like the feel of it as a daily use knife, but can
> anyone comment on durability? If I take proper care of it, can I expect it
> to last?
>
> It is the knife shown he
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2v5ekt
>
> or
>
> http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww...sortiment/prod...

Mine sliced through the end of my finger like butter. (It took for-
EVER to heal.) Obviously, my knife skills need work. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

FWIW, just got a Bed Bath & Beyond flier in today's mail. They have the Henckels
International Eversharp Pro Santokus, 7" and 5" with kullens, on sale this week
at $19.99 for *both*. There's also a $5 off coupon, making it $14.99 for *both*.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 13:04:32 -0600, Sqwertz > wrote:

>I loved my 6.5"er. I've just haven't used it since my steel is
>beyond honing it properly. And I can't find a professional to
>sharpen my knives.

http://www.lacuisineus.com/tlc.php

My local kitchen store. They do a great job on both sharpening and re-tinning.
You can mail directly to them and pay for return postage.

If for some reason you can't do that, email me and I'll be glad to help you out.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:48:46 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
> wrote:

><sf> wrote in message ...
>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:18:46 -0500, Sharon V
>> > wrote:

>It

>but can

>expect it
>> >>
>> >I keep hearing about Santoku knives. What is so different about them
>> >and what do you use them for?

>> Instead of having a curve like the French blade,santoku is straight.
>> Hubby likes the Santoku, but my initial reaction to it has diminished
>> and I've gone back to my french blade. I prefer the rocking motion of
>> french. Biggest complaint: I haven't successfully resharpened the
>> santoku back to my liking yet.

>For 3 bucks have it done right by a pro. You won't believe the quality of
>the edge they can put on it.

The pros, even the ones that are touted to be "the best", tend to
scratch up your knife and you can really see how much blade they grind
off. I can only imagine how a boning knife came to be.....

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 08:48:46 GMT, "Paul M. Cook"
> > wrote:
>

> ><sf> wrote in message ...
> >> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:18:46 -0500, Sharon V

knife.
> >It

> >but can

> >expect it

> >> Instead of having a curve like the French blade,santoku is straight.
> >> Hubby likes the Santoku, but my initial reaction to it has diminished
> >> and I've gone back to my french blade. I prefer the rocking motion of
> >> french. Biggest complaint: I haven't successfully resharpened the
> >> santoku back to my liking yet.

> >For 3 bucks have it done right by a pro. You won't believe the quality

of
> >the edge they can put on it.
> >

> The pros, even the ones that are touted to be "the best", tend to
> scratch up your knife and you can really see how much blade they grind
> off. I can only imagine how a boning knife came to be.....

Never had that problem.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:40:20 -0500, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> FWIW, just got a Bed Bath & Beyond flier in today's mail. They have the Henckels
>> International Eversharp Pro Santokus, 7" and 5" with kullens, on sale this week
>> at $19.99 for *both*. There's also a $5 off coupon, making it $14.99 for *both*.

> Eversharp - if it's the original line they made back in 1997-99,
> are finely serrated blades that suck big time.
>
> They stay sharp, but they also get sinew/fiber stuck in the
> serrations and don't work for more than 2 cuts at a time on meat.
>
> -sw

They are described as having a "micro-serrated edge". I also noticed the
same thing you described with that type of edge and don't particularly
care for that type.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:54:31 -0500, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> I just checked the Henckels site at
>> http://www.zwilling.com/locale/en_ww...ategorie_id/11
>> and confirmed that the 6" is indeed still their longest wide-bodied chef's
>> knife. Too bad -- I'm always looking for deep-bodied knives.

> I loved my 6.5"er. I've just haven't used it since my steel is
> beyond honing it properly. And I can't find a professional to
> sharpen my knives.

Are there no locksmiths in your area?

Matthew

--
"All you need to start an asylum is an empty room and the right kind of
people". Alexander Bullock ("My Man Godfrey" 1936):
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:57:33 -0600, Sqwertz > wrote:

>They're the best santoku knives on the market. JHenckels seems
>to have the market cornered on "Decent" to "Very decent" Santoku
>knives.

Oh, please. You've sampled the entire market?

But just for any newbies who might be reading: Many years ago, I started out
with a few Henckels knives (Four Star). Now, Henckels makes a fine product. But
what they make may or may not suit your needs and desires. I soon figured out
that they generally don't suit mine.

Today, I have two very large, full knife blocks in my kitchen. There's not a
single Henckels knife in either one. They've either been given away, or are
stuck away in the attic as travel spares or such. I've found other knives that
suit me better (e.g., more heft, better balance, wider handle, either a deeper
belly or an outright French edge, etc.)

For me, both the Wusthof Culinar and the Shun with kullens are superior to the
Henckels santokus. Moreover, there are ceramic santokus, like the Kyocera, that
can be very useful. And I'm sure there are a number of Japanese knife
afficionadoes lying in the weeds who can name all sorts of more traditional
santokus that they consider superior to any I've mentioned.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:10:03 -0500, Peter wrote:
>
>> I did pick up the Santoku though. I only used it to chop 3lbs of carrots
>> and
>> a couple onions for a huge pot of cream of carrot soup, but I can see it
>> becoming my first choice in the kitchen. Will have to try it on some
>> fish
>> tonight.

> They're the best santoku knives on the market. JHenckels seems
> to have the market cornered on "Decent" to "Very decent" Santoku
> knives.
>
> You'll probably enjoy your purchase. I've never regretted it.
>
> -sw

I don't think I'll regret it. It didn't cost much and now that I've used it
on some meats and such too, I'm *very* happy with it.

I don't expect everyone to give a good review, but if the few bad reviews
that don't point out a big design or material flaw (which they didn't), I'll
get it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"George" > wrote in message
. ..
> Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 18:40:20 -0500, pltrgyst wrote:
>>
>>> FWIW, just got a Bed Bath & Beyond flier in today's mail. They have
>>> the Henckels
>>> International Eversharp Pro Santokus, 7" and 5" with kullens, on sale
>>> this week
>>> at $19.99 for *both*. There's also a $5 off coupon, making it $14.99
>>> for *both*.

>> Eversharp - if it's the original line they made back in 1997-99,
>> are finely serrated blades that suck big time. They stay sharp, but
>> they also get sinew/fiber stuck in the
>> serrations and don't work for more than 2 cuts at a time on meat.
>>
>> -sw

> They are described as having a "micro-serrated edge". I also noticed
> the same thing you described with that type of edge and don't
> particularly care for that type.

How hard would it be to take a belt sander and remove the serrations?

For that price I might give it a try.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 14:00:56 GMT, "Jack Sloan" >
wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 23:59:12 -0500, pltrgyst wrote:

>> > I have never heard of a Henckel's wide-blade chef's longer than six

>inches. Do
>> > you by any chance have a pointer to any information about this knife?

>> Sorry - it is a 6"er - actually it's 6.5" measuring the actual
>> blade only (we guys love to exaggerate). It's from the 4-Star
>> line. I also have the 8" 5-Star but not in wide blade format.
>> Also the 10" Pro-S (for spathcocking my chickens and ducks)
>>
>> -sw

>Try scissors fir spatchcocking. Quicker and better.

DITTO - and kitchen scissors from the $1Store last for years at a
fraction of the price of name brands.

sf
who used Fiskars scissors for cooking purposes in the past

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 20:23:39 GMT, Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:09:19 -0500, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:57:33 -0600, Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>>They're the best santoku knives on the market. JHenckels seems
>>>to have the market cornered on "Decent" to "Very decent" Santoku
>>>knives.

>> Oh, please. You've sampled the entire market?

>Yep. Bring your throat closer and lets test them out.

Yeah, right. No wonder you can't ship knives across a state line -- still on
parole down there in Austin, eh?

Bye-bye, moron. {plonk}

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 04:57:33 -0600, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>They're the best santoku knives on the market. JHenckels seems
>>to have the market cornered on "Decent" to "Very decent" Santoku
>>knives.

> Oh, please. You've sampled the entire market?
>
> But just for any newbies who might be reading: Many years ago, I started
> out
> with a few Henckels knives (Four Star). Now, Henckels makes a fine
> product. But
> what they make may or may not suit your needs and desires. I soon figured
> out
> that they generally don't suit mine.
>
> Today, I have two very large, full knife blocks in my kitchen. There's not
> single Henckels knife in either one. They've either been given away, or
> are
> stuck away in the attic as travel spares or such. I've found other knives
> that
> suit me better (e.g., more heft, better balance, wider handle, either a
> deeper
> belly or an outright French edge, etc.)
>
> For me, both the Wusthof Culinar and the Shun with kullens are superior to
> the
> Henckels santokus. Moreover, there are ceramic santokus, like the Kyocera,
> that
> can be very useful. And I'm sure there are a number of Japanese knife
> afficionadoes lying in the weeds who can name all sorts of more
> traditional
> santokus that they consider superior to any I've mentioned.
>
> -- Larry

My personal favorite Santoku is the Shun 7" wide blade but there are a bunch
made with much better steels and profiles than any of the German made
knives. The German knives are too thick bladed and too soft of steels in my
opinion. I suggest you check out some of the following sites that have sales
going on right now. I have also purchased from every one with no problems
and great customer service with Japanese Chef's knife being amazing on their
delivery times.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/products.html
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/kai.ht...rshaw&sub=Shun
http://www.korin.com/
http://www.epicureanedge.com/default...41154421746347

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

>> Are there no locksmiths in your area?

> The drawer where I keep my knives is already unlocked.
>
> -sw

cue the music from the shower scene in psycho...............

youse gots neiman marcus in austin?? thought that was a big d' store. i
remember when they had designer garbage bags in red, also the color of
medical waste disposal bags........... but maybe all those richie riches
were throwing away body parts.....

we can get matching submarines, i get the guys model, you get the ...
whatever.

joe
your best friend, after kent and andy and............