Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Beer: Was: Spoons

In article >,
Steve Calvin > wrote:

> YMMV, but I suggest you try it. If it tastes bad at 50dF,
> it's not a truly good beer.

I've tried a couple of Brit imports that were claimed to be better at
"room temperature," or roughly 50 degrees F. I had them both at that
temp and at the lower temp. Perhaps its the same way I prefer my tea
iced, and soda wonderfully cold. but I prefer all beers cold, and I can
still tell the good ones from the "processed **** water."

And FWIW, the only AB bulk products I've had since I left Trailhead as
an employee are ones I was given free. I put my money in those that
have flavour.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Much as I hate to inject myself into an argument about a subject I know
nothing, I contacted a few of my friends in England on a subject dear to
an Englishman's heart. I thought you might be interested in some of
their comments.

Friend #1: "It has become fashionable to drink beer cold in these
islands with the introduction of fancy brands such as Guinness Ultra
Cold and the recent fad for drinking cider with ice in it follows that
marketing led example. However traditionally British ales were drunk at
cellar
temperature since they were stored in the cellar and this was typically
a few degrees below room temperature.

"Modern cellars are equipped with refrigeration equipment and can supply
beers at differing temperatures to the taps in the bar room. Bottles
beers are now usually kept in refrigerated storage behind the bar; in
the past they were kept on shelves or crates and so tended towards room
temperature.

"Some beers are best at cold temperatures others at higher ones to allow
different flavours to express themselves. A typical lager style beer
should be served cooler than a typical British ale. Whether lagers
should be served at temperatures as low as a few degrees is a moot
point, you can't taste much at those temperatures, I know that
some Belgian beers are best in the ten to twelve degree range which is
rather higher than a domestic refrigerator should be."

Friend #2: "It depends on the beer. The colder it is served, the less
the drinker will
be able to taste it.

"British real ale should not be served "cold". It should be served at
the
temperature of the cellar, which is a few degrees below room
temperature. By
all means chill the likes of lager to within an inch of its life, but
that
stuff tastes awful anyway Not being able to taste it is a distinct
improvement!

"Over the past couple of years, it has become fasionable to drink "Extra
Chilled" versions of various beers. Guinness is the main culprit.
However,
try visiting a proper Irish bar sometime and you'll see that the Extra
Chilled just isn't served.

"The gentleman who claims that the English drink their beer cold may
well be
correct with regards to the pubs that he has been in. It's just that
those
pubs aren't very good and don't know how to serve their beer correctly,
or
maybe they serve fashionable bottled beers that are supposed to be
served
cold so you can't taste them."

Friend #3: ""german style lagers, yes, english beer (bitter), no way.

english beer should be served at cellar temperature, that is cool
without being cold, not cold the way lager is served. Abroad travesties
of english beer in keg form are often served chilled like lager,
probably the only way they are acceptable."

Dora's note: Any reference to degrees is in Celsius, not Fahrenheit.

I don't intend to fan the flames of this argument; I'm simply passing
on a few comments which might be of interest.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:54:44 -0400, "limey" > wrote:

>Much as I hate to inject myself into an argument about a subject I know
>nothing, I contacted a few of my friends in England on a subject dear to
>an Englishman's heart. I thought you might be interested in some of
>their comments.

All good stuff, Dora, which I entirely agree with. I love beer,
including homebrew (which I used to make, but can't devote the time,
etc., to that hobby now), and there are so many variables to enjoying
beer. Steve's is not the only way.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"limey" > wrote:

> Whether lagers
> should be served at temperatures as low as a few degrees is a moot
> point, you can't taste much at those temperatures

I have been reading this claim in various worded forms for a bit now,
and I would like to pose a question as to how one cannot taste beef
flavours when they are chilled like this? for a point of comparative
reference, I look to ice cream. Ice cream MUST be kept below the
freezing point of water to keep from melting. It is thus served at such
temperatures. Yet there are many flavours of ice cream, and one can
taste the difference between vanillas of various brands and refinements
(vanilla, french vanilla, whole bean vanilla, etc.). The same holds
true among variants of other flavours (such as flavours that contain
coffee in numerous forms).

Yet, I read the contention that beer that is served cold loses its
flavouring qualities. My experience does not support this contention.
I can tell the difference between Coors, Budweiser, Bucsh, Miller Lite,
and other bulk brands, even at spiking cold temperatures. Among the
ones I listed, I prefer Budweiser, and I find Miller Lite to have a
disagreeable taste. Likewise, in my preference for micro-brews, I can
tell the difference between various beers, pilsners, ales and lagers
even though they are served cold.

What I am asking is for someone to explain how serving beer cold causes
beer to lose or hide its flavour?

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"jt august" > wrote in message
> What I am asking is for someone to explain how serving beer cold causes
> beer to lose or hide its flavour?
>
> jt

I had a limey friend I used to hang around with. When he ordered a beer it
would always be warm, and as I recall, perhaps he ordered it with a lime --
is that why he was called a limey? I don't know.

When I asked him why he drank it that way, he just smiled. But there was no
discussion; he didn't care how I enjoyed my beer, nor did I persue the
reason why he drank his that way.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Spoons

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 29 Sep 2007 23:12:05 -0500, "SA" >
> wrote:
>
>>.... If you had the option to scoop up a spoon full of corn with a spoon
>>or scoop up a couple kernels of corn with a fork which makes more sense?

> The fork. Spoons are meant for foods with some liquid content, so that
> lips wipe smoothly across the surface. Without liquid content, lips
> stick to the spoon's surface,making them awkward to use.
>
> Forks don't exhibit this problem, since they have much less surface
> area.
>
> (Not only is this a really dumb thread, but it would be much more
> appropriate in rec.food.restaurants...)
>
> -- Larry

It probably would be moreappropriate in rec.food.restaurants if there was
ever any activity there.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dee wrote:

> I had a limey friend I used to hang around with. When he ordered a
> beer it would always be warm, and as I recall, perhaps he ordered it
> with a lime -- is that why he was called a limey? I don't know.

In England, ale (or "bitter) is served pretty well at room temperature.

The word "limey" originated a long time ago, when sailors on long
voyages were fed limes to prevent scurvy. I took the name "limey" in
newsgroups because I'm not only English, but served in the women's
branch of the Royal Navy.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

limey wrote:

> In England, ale (or "bitter) is served pretty well at room
> temperature.

Oops! I just received the following:

"British mild and bitter real ales are at their very best when served at
cellar temperature which when I ran my pub in Liverpool was 50 to 55°F.
That
is quite a bit below what I would call a comfortable room temperature. I
would think that would be in the 70 to 75°F."

(Wow. In that case, English homes have become a lot warmer.
Dora)

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"limey" > wrote in message
> Dee Dee wrote:
>>
>> I had a limey friend I used to hang around with. When he ordered a
>> beer it would always be warm, and as I recall, perhaps he ordered it
>> with a lime -- is that why he was called a limey? I don't know.
>>

> In England, ale (or "bitter) is served pretty well at room temperature.
>
> The word "limey" originated a long time ago, when sailors on long voyages
> were fed limes to prevent scurvy. I took the name "limey" in newsgroups
> because I'm not only English, but served in the women's branch of the
> Royal Navy.
>
> Dora

Ah, yes, now I remember now how the name originated. Thanks for the
reminder.

When Magellan went around the world, his sailors got scurvy, but the
officers didn't.
The officers received quince jelly with their meals.

Wondering what their nicknames were ;-)
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Peter A > wrote:

> But most people who have
> gone beyond the basics with beer find that the flavors are more
> pronounced and more enjoyable when the beer is warmer.

Thank you, sir, for your explanation. I will take this into
consideration and try some favourite local brews both at my preferred
temperature, and that the cellar temperature discussed.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 29 Sep, 00:36, "just joe" > wrote:
> > I thought the wedge was for a Corona; == well, of course, it could be for
> > Dos XXX, too -- but I was not offered a lime wedge either.

> the lime is for anybeerpackaged in clear or green bottles; it helps cover
> the skunked taste from sunlight reacting with the hops. i was told that
> miller (in clear bottles) has some how bred their hops to not react w/
> sunlight.

they've not bred the hops - they just use a special hop extract - an
aqueous alkaline solution of the potassium salts of tetrahydro-iso-
alpha-acids.
yum!
drink up!
cheers,
MikeMcG.

> who does like a lemon or lime squeezed into a lawnmowerbeeron a hot day.

(I'll just have a good beer, ta.)

Measuring spoons graham[_4_] General Cooking 15 12-03-2016 11:38 PM
Fork 'n spoons Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 29 29-02-2012 09:54 PM
SPOONS Sheldon General Cooking 8 04-03-2006 03:06 AM
Got my olivewood spoons! Nancy Young General Cooking 14 14-08-2005 12:47 PM
spoons zoe Restaurants 7 14-11-2003 11:02 PM