Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Refrigerator Woes

We have two refrigerators, both about 10 years old, and neither of them is
maintaining proper temp. There is nothing otherwise obviously wrong with
either unit -- funny noises from compressors, ragged seals, improper
mounting of doors, etc.

Is the solution something as simple as calling in a technician to put more
refrigerant in the compressors, or am I looking at two major purchases?

If I am looking at two major purchases, does anyone have particular
recommendations for high end (but not outrageously high) units? One must be
counter depth, i.e., ~28" and <70" high and available in stainless, the
other can be pretty much any size and white or black. The counter depth one
needs an ice/water dispenser, the other does not.

Thanks.

Remsleep

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Forgot to mention that the counter-depth unit should be side-by-side, while
the other one can be freezer above or below.

Remsleep

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Remsleep" > wrote in message
> We have two refrigerators, both about 10 years old, and neither of them is
> maintaining proper temp. There is nothing otherwise obviously wrong with
> either unit -- funny noises from compressors, ragged seals, improper
> mounting of doors, etc.
>
> Is the solution something as simple as calling in a technician to put more
> refrigerant in the compressors, or am I looking at two major purchases?

Could be a lot of things, most likely NOT the compressor. Is it the
freezer, refrigerator compartment, or both? Too high or too low?

If the evaporator fan is not working properly, the freezer will be OK but
the fridge section will be too warm. If the evap coils is freezing, same
symptoms, different cause. It may be the defrost cycle timer or heating
element.

Either one of those problems are relatively moderate cost or can even be
done yourself it you are handy. Check out diagnostic information at
www.repairclinic.com
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...

> Could be a lot of things, most likely NOT the compressor. Is it the
> freezer, refrigerator compartment, or both? Too high or too low?

Neither refrigerator compartment can get below 45 on the max setting.
Freezers appear to work fine, judging by the frozen state of all contents.

> If the evaporator fan is not working properly, the freezer will be OK but
> the fridge section will be too warm. If the evap coils is freezing, same
> symptoms, different cause. It may be the defrost cycle timer or heating
> element.
>
> Either one of those problems are relatively moderate cost or can even be
> done yourself it you are handy. Check out diagnostic information at
> www.repairclinic.com

Thanks. I'll check that out.

Remsleep

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Peter A" > wrote in message

> Have you cleaned all the coils? 10 years worth of dust and other crap
> can really reduce the cooling efficiency.
>
> --

I have, but perhaps not assiduously enough. My next stop is Ace Hardware for
a refrigerator coil brush.

Remsleep

More Sriracha woes notbob General Cooking 18 13-12-2013 05:54 PM
Dehydrator woes Chemiker Preserving 0 14-08-2012 03:03 PM
Dandelion Woes... A. J. Rawls Winemaking 0 12-07-2007 03:33 AM
Dandelion Woes... Rick Vanderwal Winemaking 26 29-05-2005 05:46 AM
isinglass woes pp Winemaking 6 27-10-2004 06:45 PM