Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

Default hanging pots from the ceiling/blocking light

With the various posters here sharing their kitchen remodeling
experiences, I wanted to find out the collective wisdom on a
particular aspect: has anyone got can lights in a 9ft (or higher)
ceiling and also hung their cooking pots off a rack in the center of
the kitchen?

Right now those pots are hanging off a rack over the stove, but we're
gonna install an exhaust fan there, so the pots need to move, and the
designer suggested the center of the room, replacing the current
4-light flourescent ceiling flush mount fixture with the pot rack and
running the can lights along the traffic areas (table in the center,
with rack over it).

I'm thinking of trying this as a means of using available space, but I
worry about the hanging pots blocking the light from the ceiling cans.
The kitchen is about 11.5' x 13', not real big, but we need good
lights for working and for communication. Suggestions and feedback
very welcome!

(we're also trying to figure out our most economical countertop
options, better than Formica, but cheaper than granite, and are
thinking of the quartz composites, like Caesarstone)
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:02:37 GMT, KLS > wrote:

>With the various posters here sharing their kitchen remodeling
>experiences, I wanted to find out the collective wisdom on a
>particular aspect: has anyone got can lights in a 9ft (or higher)
>ceiling and also hung their cooking pots off a rack in the center of
>the kitchen?

Are "can lights" the same as track lighting?

>Right now those pots are hanging off a rack over the stove, but we're
>gonna install an exhaust fan there, so the pots need to move, and the
>designer suggested the center of the room, replacing the current
>4-light flourescent ceiling flush mount fixture with the pot rack and
>running the can lights along the traffic areas (table in the center,
>with rack over it).

Can you hang the pots so that you can reach them, and they don't get in the way
of your use of the table? (Being tall, I don't think I could do that even with
9-foot ceilings.)

IMO, placing lighting over the traffic areas rather than the work surfaces may
cause problems, as your head and body may block much of the light or give you
uneven lighting on your work surfaces.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"KLS" > wrote in message

> so the pots need to move, and the
> designer suggested the center of the room, replacing the current
> 4-light flourescent ceiling flush mount fixture with the pot rack and
> running the can lights along the traffic areas (table in the center,
> with rack over it).
>
> I'm thinking of trying this as a means of using available space, but I
> worry about the hanging pots blocking the light from the ceiling cans.

I never understood the hanging pot thing. IMO, they belong in a cabinet or
closet.

I don't think can lighting is best for a kitchen. Your designer won't be
cooking there so does not care much either way.

Do you want to be sitting at the table, in partial darkness with pots
hanging above you? Do you hand your shoes over the bed? Toilet paper over
the bathroom sink? Maybe a new designer is in order.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

> I never understood the hanging pot thing. IMO, they belong in a cabinet or
> closet.

I've got 30+ pans. I lacked the cabinet space to accommodate all of
them, being as they are a mix of brands and sizes. I made my own, floor
standing rack. It is s 1/2 feet tall, with two cantilever shelves with
hooks. This holds all my pans, with lower shelves holding the lids and
the stock pots sitting on the top cantilever shelf. This freed up
cabinet space that I now use for casserole dishes and mixing bowls.
What's more, when I wash a pan, I set it for a minute or two in the
drying rack to drip out, then move it to the rack still slightly wet to
finish drying and already put away. Tremendous convenience.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:29:23 -0400, "Edwin Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>"KLS" > wrote in message
>>
>> so the pots need to move, and the
>> designer suggested the center of the room, replacing the current
>> 4-light flourescent ceiling flush mount fixture with the pot rack and
>> running the can lights along the traffic areas (table in the center,
>> with rack over it).
>>
>> I'm thinking of trying this as a means of using available space, but I
>> worry about the hanging pots blocking the light from the ceiling cans.

>I never understood the hanging pot thing. IMO, they belong in a cabinet or
>closet.

That would be nice, but we don't have that kind of space, in all
seriousness. I did tell you that the kitchen is 11.5 feet wide and 13
feet long. Furthermore, there are 4 doors in it (back door, door to
basement, door to dining room, and door to foyer). Our hanging pots
are not an affectation; there is no other place to put them.

>I don't think can lighting is best for a kitchen. Your designer won't be
>cooking there so does not care much either way.
>
>Do you want to be sitting at the table, in partial darkness with pots
>hanging above you? Do you hand your shoes over the bed? Toilet paper over
>the bathroom sink? Maybe a new designer is in order.

Perhaps so.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:14:36 -0400, pltrgyst
> wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:02:37 GMT, KLS > wrote:
>
>>With the various posters here sharing their kitchen remodeling
>>experiences, I wanted to find out the collective wisdom on a
>>particular aspect: has anyone got can lights in a 9ft (or higher)
>>ceiling and also hung their cooking pots off a rack in the center of
>>the kitchen?

>Are "can lights" the same as track lighting?

No, they're recessed lights (hence "can").

>Can you hang the pots so that you can reach them, and they don't get in the way
>of your use of the table? (Being tall, I don't think I could do that even with
>9-foot ceilings.)

I think so because the table is narrow, 26 inches wide. We already
have the experience of reaching over the stove to get the pots, so
this wouldn't be a whole lot different.

>IMO, placing lighting over the traffic areas rather than the work surfaces may
>cause problems, as your head and body may block much of the light or give you
>uneven lighting on your work surfaces.

We'd be installing surface work lighting, too, for exactly that reason
(the stove exhaust fan will include a light, and the cabinet over the
sink will also host a light).
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"KLS" > wrote in message

> That would be nice, but we don't have that kind of space, in all
> seriousness. I did tell you that the kitchen is 11.5 feet wide and 13
> feet long. Furthermore, there are 4 doors in it (back door, door to
> basement, door to dining room, and door to foyer). Our hanging pots
> are not an affectation; there is no other place to put them.

The doors are the problem, not the size. My small kitchen in my last house
was smaller than yours, but was the most efficient kitchen and "biggest" for
actual work that I've ever had. Two doors, both at the same end. When the
house was built, there was a small table at one end by the window, but we
eliminated that to add more cabinets and counter space. I had 22' of counter
top.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"KLS" > wrote in message
> We'd be installing surface work lighting, too, for exactly that reason
> (the stove exhaust fan will include a light, and the cabinet over the
> sink will also host a light).

Careful of that cabinet over the sink. If it is full height you may grow to
hate it as an obstruction. I have a light, but no cabinet there.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 12:59:26 GMT, KLS > wrote:

>>Are "can lights" the same as track lighting?

>No, they're recessed lights (hence "can").

Ah. We considered those -- they do look neater. But their single overriding
disadvantage to us was that they are no aimable like track lighting.

>>Can you hang the pots so that you can reach them, and they don't get in the way
>>of your use of the table?

>I think so because the table is narrow, 26 inches wide. We already
>have the experience of reaching over the stove to get the pots, so
>this wouldn't be a whole lot different.

Ah again. If the table is narrow, your rack will probably be narrow, so you may
not be able to position lights in the center of the rack. shining down on the
center line of the table.

I forgot to ask -- is this a work table (36" or so) or a dining-in table (29-31
inches)?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:17:52 -0400, pltrgyst
> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 12:59:26 GMT, KLS > wrote:
>
>>>Are "can lights" the same as track lighting?

>>No, they're recessed lights (hence "can").

>Ah. We considered those -- they do look neater. But their single overriding
>disadvantage to us was that they are no aimable like track lighting.

Then maybe we'd rather do track lighting. Interesting new thought.

>>>Can you hang the pots so that you can reach them, and they don't get in the way
>>>of your use of the table?

>>I think so because the table is narrow, 26 inches wide. We already
>>have the experience of reaching over the stove to get the pots, so
>>this wouldn't be a whole lot different.

>Ah again. If the table is narrow, your rack will probably be narrow, so you may
>not be able to position lights in the center of the rack. shining down on the
>center line of the table.

I don't think this was something we were planning to do, for exactly
this reason and why I was worried about being able to see well.

>I forgot to ask -- is this a work table (36" or so) or a dining-in table (29-31
>inches)?

The table is a work table, but we have stools for it.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Peter A > wrote:

> Aside from blocking light, pans hung in the open collect dust and grease
> from frying.

Whether stowed out of sight or hanging in the open, always look at a pan
to ensure it is clean before using. If dirty, take a few seconds to
wash it. BTW, pans stowed in a cabinet can get dust if left long enough.

jt
Posted to rec.food.equipment

>> Aside from blocking light, pans hung in the open collect dust and grease
>> from frying.

>==
>I cycle my hanging pots through the dishwasher when I need a full load.

Our pans hang in a bay window about 8 to 10 feet from the cooktop. With normal
use, they don't seem to collect either dust or grease.

As to the lighting, I've got 12 50-watt floods aimed at the work surfaces, as
well as cool-running under-cabinet lights, and it seems like plenty of light. We
rarely turn them up all the way.

http://www.xhost.org/kitchen/k.jpg

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst"

> Our pans hang in a bay window about 8 to 10 feet from the cooktop. With
> normal
> use, they don't seem to collect either dust or grease.
>
> As to the lighting, I've got 12 50-watt floods aimed at the work surfaces,
> as
> well as cool-running under-cabinet lights, and it seems like plenty of
> light. We
> rarely turn them up all the way.
>
> http://www.xhost.org/kitchen/k.jpg

That is beautiful!

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article <OizDi.16443$453.5318@trndny02>, "Gini" >
wrote:

> I cycle my hanging pots through the dishwasher when I need a full load.

I trust they are not non-stick and/or hard anodized. Non-stick surfaces
can be compromised when put in the dishwasher (unless the manufacturer
says dishwasher safe, and even then, I have to wonder) and the heating
element in dishwashers can ionize water such to release the anodized
pigment from the surfaces of hard anodized pans. The hardness is still
in tact, but the nicer looking black surface fades to plain aluminum.

Stainless steels are usually dishwasher safe, but their shine can dull
over time when put through the dishwasher. If looks are important, i
recommend hand washing all pans.

jt

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 01:15:55 GMT, "Gini" > wrote:

>> Our pans hang in a bay window about 8 to 10 feet from the cooktop. With
>> normal use, they don't seem to collect either dust or grease.
>>
>> As to the lighting, I've got 12 50-watt floods aimed at the work surfaces,
>> as well as cool-running under-cabinet lights, and it seems like plenty of
>> light. We rarely turn them up all the way.
>>
>> http://www.xhost.org/kitchen/k.jpg

>That is beautiful!

Thank you. We're very happy with it, and the renovation only took about eight
months from start to finish... 8

-- Larry