Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Default Microwave oven rant. Rice.

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:59:18 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>The right tool for the job.

And you're certainly a tool -- but the right one? Nah.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On 25 Jul, 10:32, Adam Funk > wrote:

> Also, why does the stupid thing have to beep EVERY TIME I press a
> button? I want it to beep ONCE ONLY --- to get my attention when it's
> finished. I can understand that the button feedback is useful for
> people with low vision, but it should be an option that I can turn
> off.

One option is to stick a dollop of silicone or something similar into
the piezo AWD. It makes all bleeping rather quieter, which is fine if
you dont need as much volume when cooking's done.

There are other ways of course, but a blob is something everyone can
do. If they stay away from the 2kV area.

NT

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On 26 Jul, 19:56, Adam Funk wrote:

> > And rice I wouldn't do in a nuke.

> I recommend trying it: one volume of rice and two volumes of water
> (that varies a little with different brands and types of rice;
> sometimes you need to add a little more). Zap until done, stirring
> occasionally. If you make about the same amount of rice each time,
> you learn how long to time it.
>
> Much easier than stirring constantly to keep rice from sticking to a
> saucepan.

I wouldnt be passing comment on it if I hadnt tried it. No stirring
is required when using a pan, theres very little overboiling risk, and
the rice is always evenly cooked. So I'll stick to that.

NT

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Polarhound" > wrote

> >> Ziploc plastic bowl and cover work just as well for rice.

> > So does a Revereware saucepan on top of a gas stove. This is rice,
> > not some complicated or delicate dish. It's easy to cook in any
> > number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
> > cooking rice.

> By the time you are done getting the water to boil, I will be halfway
> through eating.

Would like a medal, or the breast to pin it on?

--oTTo--
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Otto Bahn wrote:
> "Polarhound" > wrote

>>> So does a Revereware saucepan on top of a gas stove. This is rice,
>>> not some complicated or delicate dish. It's easy to cook in any
>>> number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
>>> cooking rice.

>> By the time you are done getting the water to boil, I will be halfway
>> through eating.

> Would like a medal, or the breast to pin it on?

I prefer breasts in pairs.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment
TMG TMG is offline

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> I agree. Who the hell stirs rice while it's cooking? Who the hell
> TAKES THE LID OFF while it's cooking?
>
> I just finished a nice bowl of rice. Easy to make. A cup of rice, two
> cups of water, a saucepan with a lid, the stove, and 15 minutes. No
> taking the lid off, no sticking to the saucepan at all. And this is
> with an electric stove, no less.

Too late to suck up now. You were hoisted by your own petard. Be an
adult, accept it, and move on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Darla Vladschyk" > wrote

> >So does a Revereware saucepan on top of a gas stove. This is rice,
> >not some complicated or delicate dish. It's easy to cook in any
> >number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
> >cooking rice.

> What does the Department of Social Welfare have to do with rice
> cookery?

Keeping a level cooking field.

--oTTo--

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

wrote:
>>>number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
>>>cooking rice.

>>What does the Department of Social Welfare have to do with rice cookery?

>More than Designer Shoe Warehouse, I think. I suppose there's a joke
>here in this obvious bag somewhere about what shoe size is correlated
>with, but I won't make it.

The band Dalmuti Says Woof says hi, also.

Dave "or, at least, I'm sure they would if I were sure they existed" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Otto Bahn > wrote:
>"Polarhound" > wrote
>> By the time you are done getting the water to boil, I will be halfway
>> through eating.

>Would like a medal, or the breast to pin it on?

IT'S A TRICK QUESTION!

Dave "definitely white meat" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment
TMG TMG is offline

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

> Who the hell was sucking up? I was responding to the idea that making
> rice isn't rocket surgery, like some people want to make it.

Nope - you've been shown up for what you are.

It's "OK" - relax and let it go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

TMG wrote:
> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>
>> Who the hell was sucking up? I was responding to the idea that making
>> rice isn't rocket surgery, like some people want to make it.

> Nope - you've been shown up for what you are.
>
> It's "OK" - relax and let it go.

Take a look at "tickle me elmo"'s posting history. It *aint't* going to
happen.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment
TMG TMG is offline

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> TMG > wrote:
>
>>> Who the hell was sucking up? I was responding to the idea that making
>>> rice isn't rocket surgery, like some people want to make it.

>> Nope - you've been shown up for what you are.

> Sorry, go back and read the thread.

Apology accepted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote

> > Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> >
> > > I agree. Who the hell stirs rice while it's cooking? Who the hell
> > > TAKES THE LID OFF while it's cooking?
> > >
> > > I just finished a nice bowl of rice. Easy to make. A cup of rice, two
> > > cups of water, a saucepan with a lid, the stove, and 15 minutes. No
> > > taking the lid off, no sticking to the saucepan at all. And this is
> > > with an electric stove, no less.

> > Too late to suck up now. You were hoisted by your own petard. Be an
> > adult, accept it, and move on.

> Who the hell was sucking up? I was responding to the idea that making
> rice isn't rocket surgery, like some people want to make it.

Is it like brain science though? I mean, they're both *white*.

--oTTo--

And if you prick it, it doesn't feel pain
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"TMG" > wrote in

> >> Nope - you've been shown up for what you are.

> > Sorry, go back and read the thread.

> Apology accepted.

That was mighty big of him. I bet he keeps hitting
it though.

--oTTo--
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 20:21:37 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> TMG > wrote:
>
>> > Who the hell was sucking up? I was responding to the idea that making
>> > rice isn't rocket surgery, like some people want to make it.

>> Nope - you've been shown up for what you are.

>Sorry, go back and read the thread.

Apology accepted.

BW
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:00:21 -0400, TMG > wrote:

>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>> Nope - you've been shown up for what you are.

>> Sorry, go back and read the thread.

>Apology accepted.

That'll larn me to read all responses in a thread before posting.

Actually, it probably won't.

BW

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:10:26 -0400, Otto Bahn > wrote:

>> > Too late to suck up now. You were hoisted by your own petard. Be an
>> > adult, accept it, and move on.

>> Who the hell was sucking up? I was responding to the idea that making
>> rice isn't rocket surgery, like some people want to make it.

>Is it like brain science though? I mean, they're both *white*.

Brains are actually sort of grey. But you don't stir them while cooking either.

Brushed lightly with various savory spices, wasn't it?

>And if you prick it, it doesn't feel pain

Dave "hey, this is a FAMBLY newsfroup" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Just for the sheer hell of it, here's a nice rice recipe:

Couple of glugs of good olive pil in the bottom of a heavy pot.
1 small shallot and two cloves garlic, fine dice
1 cup rice
Heat on med-high and stir until shallot is translucent and rice begins
to brown
Add 2 cups water and turn heat to high
Add 1 TBS turmeric
Cover pot and bring to boil; when boiling turn heat to low and set
timer for 15 mins.
Do not remove cover until timer goes off
When timer goes off add 1 cup frozen green peas and a knob of butter
Set timer for 5 more minutes
When time goes off, fluff with fork and serve. Deeelicious alone, or
with shredded roast chicken, fat golden raisins, and toasted slivered
almonds added.

Namaste

Darla
Nova Scotia, Canada
--
"I'm still here, you *******s!"
---Papillon

http://www.yougotta.com/DARLA/
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 05:43:32 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>> >Sorry, go back and read the thread.

>> Apology accepted.

>No apology offered.

You said you were sorry. Now you aren't. Make up your mind.

BW

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 19:13:26 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
> wrote:

>In article >,
> TMG > wrote:
>
>> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>>
>> > I agree. Who the hell stirs rice while it's cooking? Who the hell
>> > TAKES THE LID OFF while it's cooking?
>> >
>> > I just finished a nice bowl of rice. Easy to make. A cup of rice, two
>> > cups of water, a saucepan with a lid, the stove, and 15 minutes. No
>> > taking the lid off, no sticking to the saucepan at all. And this is
>> > with an electric stove, no less.

>> Too late to suck up now. You were hoisted by your own petard. Be an
>> adult, accept it, and move on.

>Who the hell was sucking up? I was responding to the idea that making
>rice isn't rocket surgery, like some people want to make it.

People were discussing different ways to make rice. There's no need
for you to be such a drama queen about it.

BW
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

In alt.religion.kibology Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
> In article >,
> wrote:

>> Apology accepted.

> No apology offered. Go back and read the thread.

to 'Go back and read the thread'? Try practicing what you preach for
a change, dipshit.

--
I excel in the delivery of POISON!! - Topato,
www.wigu.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

In alt.religion.kibology Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
> In article >,
> Tom Kraemer > wrote:

>> > No apology offered. Go back and read the thread.

>> to 'Go back and read the thread'?

> Who the **** are you to misread what I wrote in the FIRST place?

I'm the guy who told you to go back and read the thread after you
started making stuff up, and you never went back and re-read the
thread. Remember? Maybe you should practice what you preach and go
back and read the thread.

And then you started coming on to me. You're barking up the wrong
tree there, wierdo.

--
"Taste the zestful bubbling foam of my vengeance!"

- Mr. Sparkle
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

In alt.religion.kibology Elmo P. Shagnasty > wrote:
> In article >,
> Tom Kraemer > wrote:

>> I'm the guy who told you to go back and read the thread after you
>> started making stuff up, and you never went back and re-read the
>> thread.

> I did. Nothing changed from the FIRST time I read it. What did you
> expect?

From you? Not much. You should go back on your meds.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
- Gene Spafford,1992

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote

> > > No apology offered. Go back and read the thread.

> > to 'Go back and read the thread'?

> Who the **** are you to misread what I wrote in the FIRST place?

I wouldn't put you in the top 25, much less first place,
you egomaniacal twit.

--oTTo--
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:

> Two words: "rice cooker"
>
> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>
> Use the right tool for the job.

I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

--
The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to
chance. [Robert R. Coveyou]
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

> Alton Brown knows what he's talking about: he hates unitaskers, and so
> do I.

and alton's infrared laser thermometer does what else?

joe
petersburg (who also has foibles) alaska

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

just joe wrote:
>> Alton Brown knows what he's talking about: he hates unitaskers, and so
>> do I.
>>

> and alton's infrared laser thermometer does what else?

Takes the working temperature of more than one pot?

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On 2007-08-07, Matthew L. Martin wrote:

> just joe wrote:
>>> Alton Brown knows what he's talking about: he hates unitaskers, and so
>>> do I.
>>>

>> and alton's infrared laser thermometer does what else?
>>

> Takes the working temperature of more than one pot?

Simultaneously?

--
On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Jul 28, 1:22 pm, Polarhound > wrote:
> David DeLaney wrote:
> > Polarhound > wrote:
> >> I have cats.

> > Ah, never mind then - it takes at least three cats.

> > Dave "Or else a device that ends up shooting streams of cooking rice across
> > the kitchen from cat to cat" DeLaney

> I have five cats, although it may become four before long if the newest
> one doesn't start using the litterbox soon.

Tips on cats and litter boxes:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19859148/

I've had a few cats around now and then, and didn't know most of this
litter box stuff.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in

> > > Takes the working temperature of more than one pot?

> > Simultaneously?

> Takes about three seconds to get two readings.
>
> As a practical matter, then, yes.

I don't think the word "simultaneously" means what you think
it means.

--oTTo--

Microwave oven notbob General Cooking 61 03-12-2016 09:37 PM
Microwave oven rant. Rice. Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 165 11-08-2007 07:56 PM
Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 10 29-06-2006 12:54 AM
Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven? [email protected] General Cooking 11 27-06-2006 11:53 PM
Microwave Oven Uses aem General Cooking 58 01-05-2005 04:33 AM