Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Default Microwave oven rant. Rice.

"Otto Bahn" > wrote in :

As such, it is an "eco-friendly" mechanism
> for heating certain products. For actual cooking of real
> food, microwaves are fairly useless.

Hot Pockets actually figured out how
> to crisp in a microwave, but I can't afford to eat those
> grease bombs anymore health-wise.

Michael Moore could do an entire movie on this.
Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless for cooking food until
Nestle figures out a way to brown something loosely called "food"
by using metal laminated to a paper substrate using non-biodegradable,
environmentally unfriendly polyester, to make it more palatable
in an eco-friendly oven to satisfy the consumer's need for
convenience.

N-E-S-T-L-E-S
Nestles makes the very best...
Poison

http://www.geocities.com/foodedge/jingles3.html
with a special jingle for Mr. Edwards:

"How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a
Tootsie Pop"?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Terri > wrote:
>
>> Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless for cooking food

> yeah, what the hell good is a screwdriver. I mean, you can't drill
> holes with it.

Your planetary customs are quaint and curious. On Urth we use
a drill for drilling holes.

> You people

*My people* were gathering hot rocks to cook escargots with garlic while
yours were still grooming each other's pelts and pointing at the sun.

have no concept of "the right tool for the job".
Hey I'm not the one who hasn't figured out how babies get here!
Just
> because something isn't the right tool for EVERY job doesn't mean it's
> just plain useless overall.

I really don't think someone who never finished reading " What's Happening
To My Body" has any business giving advice on the proper use of tools.
However, in the name of edification you may find this a bit less
intimidating than the above mentioned works:
http://www.villagevoice.com/arts/040...,50176,12.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:

> The one where you said microwaves aren't for cooking, and that you
> wouldn't use one under any circumstances?

Oh, you mean the one where TomK said he wouldn't use a microwave oven
under any circumstances, following which you talked ******** about the
way he uses them? That'd be the one.

> Yeah.
>
> You're a ****ing idiot.

What's a "****ing idiot", Elmo? Would that be someone who's an idiot on
the subject of ****ing? For instance, someone who goes around saying
*** people don't reproduce?

P.S. Hey, Elmo, do you know anything about cows?

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:

> In article >,
> Adam Funk > wrote:
>
> > Much easier than stirring constantly to keep rice from sticking to a
> > saucepan.

> You don't even need to stir it.

You don't need to stir rice in a saucepan on a stovetop, either. Or
rather, you stir it once -- when you add it to the boiling water. Slap
the lid on and leave it until it's done. Ridiculously easy. Of course
I am assuming you're using good quality rice (hint: not M*n*t* R*c*) and
the correct rice:water proportions.

> Those who refuse to try rice in a microwave are idiots.

Idiots are people who refuse to stop using a perfectly satisfactory
method in favor of a different one? I see.

Here I was thinking idiots are people who make things up and then post
them to Usenet as facts.

--
- Doctroid Doctroid Holmes
It's too confused to make sense, so let's make nonsense.
-- Chris McG.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote

> > Microwaves, eco-friendly ovens, useless for cooking food

> yeah, what the hell good is a screwdriver. I mean, you can't drill
> holes with it.
>
> You people have no concept of "the right tool for the job". Just
> because something isn't the right tool for EVERY job doesn't mean it's
> just plain useless overall.

Am-Zing! You have absolutely no idea what we were
talking about.

--oTTo--

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:

> Two words: "rice cooker"
>
> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>
> Use the right tool for the job.

I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

--
The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to
chance. [Robert R. Coveyou]
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Adam Funk wrote:
> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>
>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>
>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>
>> Use the right tool for the job.

> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything else.
We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a week. Now
that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn and a veg six
or seven times a week.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>>
>>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>>
>>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>>
>>> Use the right tool for the job.

>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

> Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything else.
> We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a week. Now
> that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn and a veg six
> or seven times a week.
>
> Matthew

Dee, who commandeered a family room adjoining the kitchen just for the
over-run ;-))

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> Terri > wrote:
>
>> > Yeah, you can't brown in it, and you can't cook bread in it,
>> > therefore it's useless for cooking food.

>> Define "food".

> Rice.

Okay, that's one item and I concur that rice is food.
Now, tell me:
1. Why would one pay money for an appliance used only for
cooking rice when the top of the range method works just as well, if
not better, and may also be used for the manufacturing of _many_ food
items?

Take all the space you need to convince me why I need a microwave
for cooking rice. What makes it indispensable and not useless in the
kitchen?

Go ahead and sell me a microwave. Take all the space you need.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote

> > > You people have no concept of "the right tool for the job". Just
> > > because something isn't the right tool for EVERY job doesn't mean it's
> > > just plain useless overall.

> > Am-Zing! You have absolutely no idea what we were
> > talking about.

> Amazing! I know exactly the words you wrote. If you ascribe completely
> different meanings to them, that's YOUR problem.

Either you're an idiot, or you could find the place where I called
microwaves just plain useless overall.

--oTTo--

Betting on idot

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> Jerry Bank > wrote:
>
>> How about rice in a rice cooker. What could be easier?

> The microwave and a microwave-safe dish with a cover.

Ziploc plastic bowl and cover work just as well for rice.

As for a rice cooker, where am I going to fit it next to the regular
coffeemaker, single-cup coffeemaker, espresso machine, George Foreman
grill, microwave, rotisserie chicken cooker, food processor, blender and
crock pot?

If you want to talk about unitasking, then my trips to Whole Foods would
fit the bill since I only go there for rolled oats which then get ground
into flour and used for everything and anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:09:12 -0400, Polarhound
> wrote:

>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Jerry Bank > wrote:
>>
>>> How about rice in a rice cooker. What could be easier?

>> The microwave and a microwave-safe dish with a cover.

>Ziploc plastic bowl and cover work just as well for rice.

So does a Revereware saucepan on top of a gas stove. This is rice,
not some complicated or delicate dish. It's easy to cook in any
number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
cooking rice.

BW
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Polarhound > wrote:
>As for a rice cooker, where am I going to fit it next to the regular
>coffeemaker, single-cup coffeemaker, espresso machine, George Foreman
>grill, microwave, rotisserie chicken cooker, food processor, blender and
>crock pot?

Tie it to the back of the dog?

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

David DeLaney wrote:
> Polarhound > wrote:
>> As for a rice cooker, where am I going to fit it next to the regular
>> coffeemaker, single-cup coffeemaker, espresso machine, George Foreman
>> grill, microwave, rotisserie chicken cooker, food processor, blender and
>> crock pot?

> Tie it to the back of the dog?

I have cats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

* Adam Funk wrote, On 27/07/07 03:55 PM:
> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>
>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>
>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>
>> Use the right tool for the job.

> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

Store it in teh microwave!

--

anTon O'Masia [ antonomasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

* Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 27/07/07 04:30 PM:
> Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>>
>>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>>
>>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>>
>>> Use the right tool for the job.

>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

> Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything else.
> We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a week. Now
> that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn and a veg six
> or seven times a week.

Please to be posting model info., for I shall shortlist one
for when the rice cooker goes TU. Thx.

--

anTon O'Masia [ antonomasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

anTonOMasia wrote:
> * Adam Funk wrote, On 27/07/07 03:55 PM:
>> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>>
>>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>>
>>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>>
>>> Use the right tool for the job.

>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

> Store it in teh microwave!

Can't. That's where I thaw frozen meat since the cats haven't figured
out how to open it.

Yet.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

anTonOMasia wrote:
> * Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 27/07/07 04:30 PM:
>> Adam Funk wrote:

>>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

>> Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything
>> else. We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a
>> week. Now that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn
>> and a veg six or seven times a week.

> Please to be posting model info., for I shall shortlist one for when the
> rice cooker goes TU. Thx.

<http://www.acitydiscount.com/Counter-Top-Convection-Steamer-Market-Forge-ET-6E.0.47103.1.1.htm?PPCID=9&amp;link=2700569>

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 07:02:03 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>disputed that, at which point you said "define food". I gave you an
>example of food--rice.

I take it we can safely assume your understanding of the word "cook" is
as good as your understanding of the word "define."

¬R http://users.bestweb.net/~notr/cats "Would you like to watch a movie
about George Wendt while eating Chinese food with a cat?" --Andy Simmons
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:59:18 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>The right tool for the job.

And you're certainly a tool -- but the right one? Nah.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

* Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 28/07/07 09:33 AM:
> anTonOMasia wrote:
>> * Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 27/07/07 04:30 PM:

>>> Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything
>>> else. We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a
>>> week. Now that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn
>>> and a veg six or seven times a week.

>> Please to be posting model info., for I shall shortlist one for when
>> the rice cooker goes TU. Thx.

> <http://www.acitydiscount.com/Counter-Top-Convection-Steamer-Market-Forge-ET-6E.0.47103.1.1.htm?PPCID=9&amp;link=2700569>

That's one helluva rice cooker!
If I buy *two*, I'll save $10,574.06, which should almost
pay for next years' rice.

--

anTon O'Masia [ antonomasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Polarhound > wrote:
>David DeLaney wrote:
>> Polarhound > wrote:
>>> As for a rice cooker, where am I going to fit it next to the regular
>>> coffeemaker, single-cup coffeemaker, espresso machine, George Foreman
>>> grill, microwave, rotisserie chicken cooker, food processor, blender and
>>> crock pot?

>> Tie it to the back of the dog?

>I have cats.

Ah, never mind then - it takes at least three cats.

Dave "Or else a device that ends up shooting streams of cooking rice across
the kitchen from cat to cat" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from "It's not the pot that grows the flower
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

anTonOMasia wrote:
> * Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 28/07/07 09:33 AM:
>> anTonOMasia wrote:

>>> Please to be posting model info., for I shall shortlist one for when
>>> the rice cooker goes TU. Thx.

>> <http://www.acitydiscount.com/Counter-Top-Convection-Steamer-Market-Forge-ET-6E.0.47103.1.1.htm?PPCID=9&amp;link=2700569>

> That's one helluva rice cooker!
> If I buy *two*, I'll save $10,574.06, which should almost pay for next
> years' rice.

Oops! I "cut" and "pasted" with my "mouse" the wrong "link". Try this:

<http://www99.epinions.com/content_282256576132>

Be warned, it does a *terrible* job frying chicken.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:

> > That's one helluva rice cooker!
> > If I buy *two*, I'll save $10,574.06, which should almost pay for next
> > years' rice.
> >

> Oops! I "cut" and "pasted" with my "mouse" the wrong "link". Try this:
>
> <http://www99.epinions.com/content_282256576132>
>
> Be warned, it does a *terrible* job frying chicken.

I have two of these Rival steamers that I bought for under $7 each at
garage sales and/or thrifts (and have seen several more since I bought
my two). Here is one used on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RIVAL-Automatic-...el-4450-Exc_W0
QQitemZ160140494342QQihZ006QQcategoryZ20672QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZV
iewItem

I've never tried them with rice (I tend to do my rice stove top, but
that's just me), but for veggies, they are tremendous. If you measure
the water out right, they shut themselves off when the water is used up,
but I'm usually right there, checking things as I go.

They can hold up to three artichokes, which is why I have two.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

No cluons were harmed when Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>Adam Funk wrote:
>> On 2007-07-26, anTonOMasia wrote:
>>
>>> Two words: "rice cooker"
>>>
>>> And an earl: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_cooker
>>>
>>> Use the right tool for the job.

>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

>Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything else.
>We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a week. Now
>that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn and a veg six
>or seven times a week.

Yabbut what do you do for bunions?

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

No cluons were harmed when Terri wrote:
>What makes it indispensable and not useless in the
>kitchen?
>
>Go ahead and sell me a microwave. Take all the space you need.

Oh come on Terri. You're from Louisiana - do the words "road kill" mean
nothing to you, now that you're up in hoity-toity Idaho?

Mark Edwards
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

David DeLaney wrote:
> Polarhound > wrote:
>> David DeLaney wrote:
>>> Tie it to the back of the dog?

>> I have cats.

> Ah, never mind then - it takes at least three cats.
>
> Dave "Or else a device that ends up shooting streams of cooking rice across
> the kitchen from cat to cat" DeLaney

I have five cats, although it may become four before long if the newest
one doesn't start using the litterbox soon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

* Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 28/07/07 12:25 PM:
> anTonOMasia wrote:
>> * Matthew L. Martin wrote, On 28/07/07 09:33 AM:
>>>
>>> <http://www.acitydiscount.com/Counter-Top-Convection-Steamer-Market-Forge-ET-6E.0.47103.1.1.htm?PPCID=9&amp;link=2700569>

>> That's one helluva rice cooker!
>> If I buy *two*, I'll save $10,574.06, which should almost pay for next
>> years' rice.
>>

> Oops! I "cut" and "pasted" with my "mouse" the wrong "link". Try this:
>
> <http://www99.epinions.com/content_282256576132>
>
> Be warned, it does a *terrible* job frying chicken.

So does my microwave.

--

anTon O'Masia [ antonomasia <at> gmail <dot> com ]
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

In article >,
Jerry Bank > wrote:

> Try artichokes in the microwave. Trim them and wrap in either Saran or
> Reynolds plastic wrap. Cook in the mw, and eat.

Tried it, wasn't quite so thrilled with it. I use the mic for several
things besides melting butter. Carrots cook nicely on med to med-low
setting, a hollandaise can be carefully reheated on the lowest setting
(stop and whisk frequently), and I par cook french fried potatoes to
slightly tender in the mic before placing them in the oil. The
microwave, like any form of cooking, has its specific advantages. It
ain't just for microwave popcorn and melting butter.

jt

Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:36:54 -0400, Polarhound

>> On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 20:09:12 -0400, Polarhound
>> > wrote:

>>> Ziploc plastic bowl and cover work just as well for rice.

>> So does a Revereware saucepan on top of a gas stove. This is rice,
>> not some complicated or delicate dish. It's easy to cook in any
>> number of ways. I don't get why there's a DSW going on here about
>> cooking rice.

>By the time you are done getting the water to boil, I will be halfway
>through eating.

Well, sure, if you're only eating rice. Rice really doesn't take very
long to cook even on the stove, and in the meantime, the rest of the
meal is being prepped and cooked.

BW
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Don Salad wrote:
> "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:
>> Be warned, it does a *terrible* job frying chicken.

> So does a microwave!

Hive minded, I see.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

Mark Edwards wrote:
> No cluons were harmed when Matthew L. Martin wrote:
>> Adam Funk wrote:

>>> I've heard that rice cookers are very good, but I've already got a
>>> microwave and I don't have room in the kitchen for any more equipment.

>> Since I got a counter top steamer I have not made rice in anything else.
>> We use the steamer for rice and a veg at least three times a week. Now
>> that corn season is upon us it will be either rice or corn and a veg six
>> or seven times a week.

> Yabbut what do you do for bunions?

Around these parts they is called "onion rolls".

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Posted to rec.food.cooking,alt.religion.kibology,rec.food.equipment

["Followup-To:" header set to alt.religion.kibology.]
On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:32:57 +0100, Adam Funk
> wrote:

> Also, why does the stupid thing have to beep EVERY TIME I press a
> button? I want it to beep ONCE ONLY --- to get my attention when it's
> finished. I can understand that the button feedback is useful for
> people with low vision, but it should be an option that I can turn
> off.

Mine beeps when it is done and, if you don't take the food out
immediately, beeps once each minute to remind you.

--
BOFH excuse #324:

Your packets were eaten by the terminator

Microwave oven notbob General Cooking 61 03-12-2016 08:37 PM
Microwave oven rant. Rice. Adam Funk[_2_] General Cooking 165 11-08-2007 07:56 PM
Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 10 29-06-2006 12:54 AM
Convection microwave vs reg microwave and toaster oven? [email protected] General Cooking 11 27-06-2006 11:53 PM
Microwave Oven Uses aem General Cooking 58 01-05-2005 04:33 AM