Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default "Tater Mitts"

My husband is bugging me to ask about these things.
Does anyone know anything about them - apparently, they've been
advertised on TV? They're waterproof gloves
(not mitts) which are supposed to remove potato peel by abrasion when
you rotate the potato. (He's thinking of me - I've developed arthritis
in my fingers and using a paring knife is painful.)

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"limey" > wrote in message
> My husband is bugging me to ask about these things.
> Does anyone know anything about them - apparently, they've been advertised
> on TV? They're waterproof gloves
> (not mitts) which are supposed to remove potato peel by abrasion when you
> rotate the potato. (He's thinking of me - I've developed arthritis in my
> fingers and using a paring knife is painful.)
>
> Dora
>
> --

My mother has quite sever arthritis, but she finds an Oxo peeler - the type
with the over-sized, soft handle - very easy to use for peeling. Plus, it
will handle other things than just potatoes.

Remsleep

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"limey" wrote
> My husband is bugging me to ask about these things.
> Does anyone know anything about them - apparently, they've been advertised
> on TV? They're waterproof gloves
> (not mitts) which are supposed to remove potato peel by abrasion when you
> rotate the potato. (He's thinking of me - I've developed arthritis in my
> fingers and using a paring knife is painful.)
>
> Dora

==
Read he
http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu158_3

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On May 13, 10:01 am, "limey" > wrote:
> My husband is bugging me to ask about these things.
> Does anyone know anything about them - apparently, they've been
> advertised on TV? They're waterproof gloves
> (not mitts) which are supposed to remove potato peel by abrasion when
> you rotate the potato. (He's thinking of me - I've developed arthritis
> in my fingers and using a paring knife is painful.)
>
> Dora
>
> --

Dora, I don't have arthritis, but I do have lymphedema, and just about
everything I do with my right-hand creates a problem. Sometimes I do
have a very achy point in my wrist from overdoing it just even a
little.

For me these would not work at all because there would be too much
movement in the hands even for me.

We don't have peeled potatoes very often (but even as I speak, DH is
buying a bag of potatoes), but DH does all the peeling of potatoes and
apples at our house. Even when potato or apple peeling doesn't fit in
his schedule, he will peel them and I'll put them in the refrigerator
for later use. Maybe you can talk your husband into this. Perhaps a
belated Mother's Day present: a year's worth of peeled potatoes. :-)))

There used to be many years ago, perhaps it is still available, a
basket that looks like a salad spinner (it's been so long, I can't
recall exactly) that you put your potatoes in, they bounce around and
are peeled by some sort of action. That I think is more like what I
would try to find.

Best of luck,
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dee wrote:

> There used to be many years ago, perhaps it is still available, a
> basket that looks like a salad spinner (it's been so long, I can't
> recall exactly) that you put your potatoes in, they bounce around and
> are peeled by some sort of action. That I think is more like what I
> would try to find.

Kenwood stand mixers have/had an attachment like that. I've sometimes
seen them on eBay.
I bought a peeler for my mother, which, instead of being gripped by
sore, stiff fingers, is 'worn' on the palm of the hand. It's squareish,
with a loop to slide your middle finger through. You simply stroke the
potato to peel it. My daughter uses one to peel apples, and finds it
faster and easier than the standard type of peeler.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

S Viemeister wrote:
> I bought a peeler for my mother, which, instead of being gripped by
> sore, stiff fingers, is 'worn' on the palm of the hand. It's
> squareish, with a loop to slide your middle finger through. You
> simply stroke the potato to peel it. My daughter uses one to peel
> apples, and finds it faster and easier than the standard type of
> peeler.

Now that sounds like something to me - I'm really lukewarm (try cold)
about the Tater Mitts. Using a conventional paring knife is what's
painful, since the problem is with my index and middle fingers, which
won't take any pressure. Obviously, they're the ones used the most.
I'll look for something similar to the one you describe. Thank you!

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Remsleep wrote:

> My mother has quite sever arthritis, but she finds an Oxo peeler -
> the type with the over-sized, soft handle - very easy to use for
> peeling. Plus, it will handle other things than just potatoes.
>
> Remsleep

Yes, I have one and have always loved it. It's becoming so painful to
use, though.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Gini wrote:
> "limey" wrote
>> My husband is bugging me to ask about these things.
>> Does anyone know anything about them - apparently, they've been
>> advertised on TV? They're waterproof gloves
>> (not mitts) which are supposed to remove potato peel by abrasion
>> when you rotate the potato. (He's thinking of me - I've developed
>> arthritis in my fingers and using a paring knife is painful.)
>>
>> Dora

> ==
> Read he
> http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp...&nav=menu158_3

Thanks, Gini - that pretty well bears out what I suspected. Sounds like
another over-bragged TV gimmick.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dee wrote:

> For me these would not work at all because there would be too much
> movement in the hands even for me.

Sorry to hear that, Dee.

Maybe you can talk your husband into this. Perhaps a
> belated Mother's Day present: a year's worth of peeled potatoes. :-)))

He'd gladly do it, but I'm such a stubborn cuss.

> There used to be many years ago, perhaps it is still available, a
> basket that looks like a salad spinner (it's been so long, I can't
> recall exactly) that you put your potatoes in, they bounce around and
> are peeled by some sort of action. That I think is more like what I
> would try to find.
>
> Best of luck,
> Dee

That reminds me of my stint in the women's arm of the British Navy years
ago! New recruits got the KP duty - mine was operating the mechanical
potato peeler. What a racket, with the potatoes bouncing around but, as
mentioned, it didn't remove the "eyes" or cuts. <BG>

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

limey wrote:

> Now that sounds like something to me - I'm really lukewarm (try cold)
> about the Tater Mitts. Using a conventional paring knife is what's
> painful, since the problem is with my index and middle fingers, which
> won't take any pressure. Obviously, they're the ones used the most.
> I'll look for something similar to the one you describe. Thank you!

I've seen them in Bed Bath and Beyond, and Linens&Things. IIRC, about
$4.00. They come in a few different colours. There are matching
vegetable brushes, too.

Sheila

Posted to rec.food.equipment

limey wrote:
> My husband is bugging me to ask about these things.
> Does anyone know anything about them - apparently, they've been
> advertised on TV? They're waterproof gloves
> (not mitts) which are supposed to remove potato peel by abrasion when
> you rotate the potato. (He's thinking of me - I've developed arthritis
> in my fingers and using a paring knife is painful.)

When my fingers get that bad, I will stop peeling potatoes. I mostly
don't peel them now. I use a brush to clean them and the end of a
teaspoon to remove eyes that have started growing.

Matthew

--
I'm a consultant. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee, I sent this message yesterday but it hasn't appeared at this end
yet:

Dee wrpte;

> For me these would not work at all because there would be too much
> movement in the hands even for me.

Sorry to hear that, Dee.

Maybe you can talk your husband into this. Perhaps a
> belated Mother's Day present: a year's worth of peeled potatoes. :-)))

He'd gladly do it, but I'm such a stubborn cuss.

> There used to be many years ago, perhaps it is still available, a
> basket that looks like a salad spinner (it's been so long, I can't
> recall exactly) that you put your potatoes in, they bounce around and
> are peeled by some sort of action. That I think is more like what I
> would try to find.
>
> Best of luck,
> Dee

That reminds me of my stint in the women's arm of the British Navy years
ago! New recruits got the KP duty - mine was operating the mechanical
potato peeler. What a racket, with the potatoes bouncing around but, as
mentioned, it didn't remove the "eyes" or cuts. <BG>

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On May 14, 7:43 pm, "Matthew L. Martin" > wrote:
> limey wrote:
> > My husband is bugging me to ask about these things.
> > Does anyone know anything about them - apparently, they've been
> > advertised on TV? They're waterproof gloves
> > (not mitts) which are supposed to remove potato peel by abrasion when
> > you rotate the potato. (He's thinking of me - I've developed arthritis
> > in my fingers and using a paring knife is painful.)

> When my fingers get that bad, I will stop peeling potatoes. I mostly
> don't peel them now. I use a brush to clean them and the end of a
> teaspoon to remove eyes that have started growing.
>
> Matthew

Matthew, When I bake potatoes, I do use a stiff brush for one or two
potatoes, but for more than that (for when I want some left-over baked
for hash browns) , I call in the second shift.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KW KW is offline

"limey" > wrote in message
> My husband is bugging me to ask about these things.
> Does anyone know anything about them - apparently, they've been
> advertised on TV? They're waterproof gloves
> (not mitts) which are supposed to remove potato peel by abrasion when
> you rotate the potato. (He's thinking of me - I've developed arthritis
> in my fingers and using a paring knife is painful.)
>
> Dora
>
> --

Dora,

I've used my apple peeler (with the corer/slicer attachment removed) when
prepping for large quantities of potato salad in the past and it does a
pretty decent job. At the worst you are left with a few eyes and a missed
spot or 2 to remove, but the whole process is very fast and easier on the
hands than peeling by hand. I drop it in the dishwasher to clean as well.

Mine is similar to this one (actually it is *exactly* like this, just
without the Pampered Chef moniker)

http://tinyurl.com/2n4l64

Works for me....YMMV

KW

Posted to rec.food.equipment

KW wrote:

> Dora,
>
> I've used my apple peeler (with the corer/slicer attachment removed)
> when prepping for large quantities of potato salad in the past and it
> does a pretty decent job. At the worst you are left with a few eyes
> and a missed spot or 2 to remove, but the whole process is very fast
> and easier on the hands than peeling by hand. I drop it in the
> dishwasher to clean as well.
>
> Mine is similar to this one (actually it is *exactly* like this, just
> without the Pampered Chef moniker)
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2n4l64
>
> Works for me....YMMV
>
> KW

Well, I'll be darned. I have an apple peeler and it hadn't occurred to
me to use it! Thanks, KW.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KW KW is offline

"limey" > wrote in message
> KW wrote:
> >>

> > Dora,
> >
> > I've used my apple peeler (with the corer/slicer attachment removed)
> > when prepping for large quantities of potato salad in the past and it
> > does a pretty decent job. At the worst you are left with a few eyes
> > and a missed spot or 2 to remove, but the whole process is very fast
> > and easier on the hands than peeling by hand. I drop it in the
> > dishwasher to clean as well.
> >
> > Mine is similar to this one (actually it is *exactly* like this, just
> > without the Pampered Chef moniker)
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/2n4l64
> >
> > Works for me....YMMV
> >
> > KW

> Well, I'll be darned. I have an apple peeler and it hadn't occurred to
> me to use it! Thanks, KW.
>
> Dora

Your welcome, I'm glad to be of assistance.....hope it works out for you!

KW