Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Enameled cast iron

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:02:36 -0400, Peter A > wrote:

>> Larry and Dee, forgive me for butting in. In cooking, can I substitute
>> porter for Guinness? I can buy porter by the bottle but Guinness only
>> in a six-pack. I have a recipe calling for Guinness that I want to try
>> but don't want to dump five bottles of the stuff if I don't like the
>> recipe.

>Stout and porter are very similar although stout tends to be more
>strongly flavored. In fact, IIRC, strong tasting porter became called
>"stout porter" and then just "stout."

Yes, what Peter said.

But if you have to buy a six-pack, no worries -- stout or porter makes a
*wonderful* braising liquid, particularly for pork. When it's done, you'd never
know there was beer in it to start.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Larry wrote:
> Yes, what Peter said.
>
> But if you have to buy a six-pack, no worries -- stout or porter
> makes a *wonderful* braising liquid, particularly for pork. When it's
> done, you'd never know there was beer in it to start.
>
> -- Larry

Yes, I googled on "Guinness" and found all sorts of intriguing recipes.
Corned beef and cabbage in Guinness is one. Well, I won't have access
to that now that it's St. Paddy's Day, but it sounds good.

You're right - looks like I buy that six-pack, after all!
(And no - I don't care for shandy, although I spent my misspent youth
trying it - you know, "beginner's drink"!!

So you're Welsh? How about that.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:53:53 GMT, "limey" > wrote:

>So you're Welsh? How about that.

My mother was a war bride. Mostly it means that when we go to Britain, we never
get to visit Scotland and find new whiskies, because we're always expected to
visit the relatives in Wales.

Fortunately, Wales is one of the most beautiful places on Earth, IMO.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:53:53 GMT, "limey" > wrote:
>
>> So you're Welsh? How about that.

> My mother was a war bride. Mostly it means that when we go to
> Britain, we never get to visit Scotland and find new whiskies,
> because we're always expected to visit the relatives in Wales.
>
> Fortunately, Wales is one of the most beautiful places on Earth, IMO.
>
> -- Larry

Yes, it's beautiful. I was a war bride, too - came here in 1946.
Although my list of relatives has dwindled over the years I'm now down
to cousins) I still have to visit all of them or hurt their feelings -
can't visit one without seeing all. Much as I love them, it means a lot
of precious days are spent doing just that. One of these days, I'm
going to sneak into England without telling them, then visit all the
other places I long for - Devon and Cornwall, mainly. If I have any
time left over, *then* I'll visit family. I feel like a traitor now.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mar 17, 12:42 pm, "limey" > wrote:
> pltrgyst wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:53:53 GMT, "limey" > wrote:

> > My mother was a war bride. Mostly it means that when we go to
> > Britain, we never get to visit Scotland and find new whiskies,
> > because we're always expected to visit the relatives in Wales.

> > Fortunately, Wales is one of the most beautiful places on Earth, IMO.

> > -- Larry

> Yes, it's beautiful. I was a war bride, too - came here in 1946.
> Although my list of relatives has dwindled over the years I'm now down
> Dora

I'm a wee bit Welsh myself, only my g-grandfather worked the coal
mines and died in the U.S. coal mines in 1911 in an explosion, along
with his youngest son. His eldest son was, so they say, hungover
(probably from Guiness?) and not gone to the mines that particular
day.

Some of the Welsh that came to our shores in those days had a hard
time. Probably like the Irish. Bless them all!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 16:42:38 GMT, "limey" > wrote:

>>> So you're Welsh? How about that.

>> My mother was a war bride. Mostly it means that when we go to
>> Britain, we never get to visit Scotland and find new whiskies,
>> because we're always expected to visit the relatives in Wales.
>>
>> Fortunately, Wales is one of the most beautiful places on Earth, IMO.

>Yes, it's beautiful. I was a war bride, too - came here in 1946.
>Although my list of relatives has dwindled over the years I'm now down
>to cousins) I still have to visit all of them or hurt their feelings -
>can't visit one without seeing all.

Exactly. My mother's only brother is still alive, along with his wife, and
several cousins, mostly around Swansea.

Yes, 1946 was a fine year -- my parents married in January in Tonyrefail, and I
was conceived in Wales, but born in october in the US. But because it's my
mother who is Welsh, I'm not eligible for British citizenship. 8;(

BTW, we visited the local Walmart Superstore today. The enameled cast iron we
saw was the "Lodge Colors" line: 3 qt. for $39, six qt. for $49. Made in China.

They also had some very nice tri-clad cookware made by Tramontina. Very good
quality indeed, quite heavy, lacking only a lip for those who don't like to
exercise their ladles. They ranged from a $19 8-inch fry pan to the most
expensive pieces, the 12 qt. stock pot and the combo cooker (pasta, etc.) at $59
each.

The pieces were each somewhat heavier than the corresponding pieces of All Clad
stainless.

They also had sets and individual stainless steel knives from Tramontina--
pretty much ringers for the Wusthof Culinars. Not a surprise, since Tramontina
already made a line duplicating the Wusthof Classics. Four steak knives for $25,
Santoku for $35, up to an 8" chef's at $39, set of three (4" parer, utility,
chef's) for $59.

The wife wouldn't let me buy any more knives, so we bought a 40" Sony LCD
flat-screen instead. That'll teach her. 8

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mar 18, 1:36 am, pltrgyst > wrote:

> BTW, we visited the local Walmart Superstore today. .
>
> They also had some very nice tri-clad cookware made by Tramontina. Very good
> quality indeed, quite heavy, lacking only a lip for those who don't like to
> exercise their ladles. They ranged from a $19 8-inch fry pan to the most
> expensive pieces, the 12 qt. stock pot and the combo cooker (pasta, etc.) at $59
> each.
>
> The pieces were each somewhat heavier than the corresponding pieces of All Clad
> stainless.>

Today I think we'll go to the farm and get our milk, Dora, and go
further on to Walmart and see if they have the pieces you are speaking
about. DH got us new cell phones with cameras and I'll try out the
camera on them; hopefully Walmart won't catch me on 'their' cameras
and think I'm doing something wrong. :-))

Larry, when you say they are somewhat heavier, would you say that is
good in this comparison.

The wife wouldn't let me buy any more knives, so we bought a 40" Sony
LCD
> flat-screen instead. That'll teach her. 8

Perhaps she had that in mind all the time. ;-))

> -- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mar 18, 12:36 am, pltrgyst > wrote:

> BTW, we visited the local Walmart Superstore today. The enameled cast iron we
> saw was the "Lodge Colors" line: 3 qt. for $39, six qt. for $49. Made in China.

The cast iron enamelled brazier that I bought the other day was by
Tramontina. I did not see the Lodge Colors, though there was a lot of
regular Lodge cast iron...

Posted to rec.food.equipment

pltrgyst wrote:

> BTW, we visited the local Walmart Superstore today. The enameled cast
> iron we saw was the "Lodge Colors" line: 3 qt. for $39, six qt. for
> $49. Made in China.

I'm really going to have to look. Believe it or not, the closest
Walmart is 25 miles away, so I rarely visit.

Several years ago, someone in a newsgroup mentioned that K Mart had Le
Creuset knock-offs. I checked and forgot it - cheesy pans and lousy
enameling - looked like one of the "enamelers'" kids was cutting his
eyeteeth.

> They also had some very nice tri-clad cookware made by Tramontina.
> Very good quality indeed, quite heavy, lacking only a lip for those
> who don't like to exercise their ladles. They ranged from a $19
> 8-inch fry pan to the most expensive pieces, the 12 qt. stock pot
> and the combo cooker (pasta, etc.) at $59 each.
>
> The pieces were each somewhat heavier than the corresponding pieces
> of All Clad stainless.
>
> They also had sets and individual stainless steel knives from
> Tramontina-- pretty much ringers for the Wusthof Culinars. Not a
> surprise, since Tramontina already made a line duplicating the
> Wusthof Classics. Four steak knives for $25, Santoku for $35, up to
> an 8" chef's at $39, set of three (4" parer, utility, chef's) for $59.

Now I must really visit Walmart! Thanks for the heads-up.

Dora

> The wife wouldn't let me buy any more knives, so we bought a 40" Sony
> LCD flat-screen instead. That'll teach her. 8
>
> -- Larry

She'll enjoy it too, I'm sure. <G>

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Dee Dee wrote:

> Today I think we'll go to the farm and get our milk, Dora,

Ah - I've wondered if you were still doing that. I've forgotten - did
you say it was pasteurized, or unpasteurized (which would allow you to
skim off the cream)?

Dora

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Will wrote:
> On Mar 18, 12:36 am, pltrgyst > wrote:
>
>> BTW, we visited the local Walmart Superstore today. The enameled
>> cast iron we saw was the "Lodge Colors" line: 3 qt. for $39, six qt.
>> for $49. Made in China.

> The cast iron enamelled brazier that I bought the other day was by
> Tramontina. I did not see the Lodge Colors, though there was a lot of
> regular Lodge cast iron...

I've had really good luck with Tramontina - great products
at a very good price.

Dora
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mar 18, 11:19 am, "limey" > wrote:
> Dee Dee wrote:
>
> > Today I think we'll go to the farm and get our milk, Dora,

> Ah - I've wondered if you were still doing that. I've forgotten - did
> you say it was pasteurized, or unpasteurized (which would allow you to
> skim off the cream)?
>
> Dora

It is raw milk. http://www.hedgebrook.com/

I get 2 to 2-1/2 cups of cream off the gallon each week and make ice
cream each week; the rest usually goes to making yogurt or paneer
cheese -- and sometimes other things instead.

The farm is about 23 miles to the north of us and another 5 miles to
go to the town of Winchester, which is where Costco, (Walmart, Circuit
City, etc.) is.
Our fun shopping is done in Fairfax County, which is about 70 miles
away.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On 18 Mar 2007 06:54:53 -0700, "Dee Dee" > wrote:

>> The pieces were each somewhat heavier than the corresponding pieces of All Clad
>> stainless.>

>Larry, when you say they are somewhat heavier, would you say that is
>good in this comparison.

I would -- better heat retention, less likely to warp. The only negative would
be slightly slower response to changes in heat, and I wouldn't care about that
miniscule factor.

They're noticeably thicker than the All Clad SS. They're about as thick as the
All Clad MC2 and anodized lines, but of course these are SS clad inside and out.
I've had good luck with Tramontina SS pots with a clad base only. The two I have
even have lips. They make some cheaper lines, too, but I wouldn't hesitate to
buy any of their better products.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

limey wrote:

> Dee Dee wrote:
>

>> Today I think we'll go to the farm and get our milk, Dora,

> Ah - I've wondered if you were still doing that. I've forgotten - did
> you say it was pasteurized, or unpasteurized (which would allow you to
> skim off the cream)?

I think you mean homogenised - that's what stops the cream rising.
Pasteurisation simply kills micro-organisms.
Posted to rec.food.equipment

S Viemeister wrote:
> limey wrote:
>
>> Dee Dee wrote:
>>

>>> Today I think we'll go to the farm and get our milk, Dora,

>> Ah - I've wondered if you were still doing that. I've forgotten -
>> did you say it was pasteurized, or unpasteurized (which would allow
>> you to skim off the cream)?
>>

> I think you mean homogenised - that's what stops the cream rising.
> Pasteurisation simply kills micro-organisms.

Yes <g> - that's what I meant. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

I just order one from QVC a Staub 5qt Enameled cast iron below for about
$72. I ordered this based on a friend who has two.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx?app=multi&params=file^/searchapp/QVCSearch.aspx,TYPE^targetsearch,TERM^staub%20-iqvcsearch,tpl^www.qvc.com/search/hybrid/search.html,cont^3,tmp^staub&walk=yah.F700&cmtags= &cm_re=PAGE-_-PROMOTIONS-_-3:STAUB

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:40:00 -0400, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:

>I just order one from QVC a Staub 5qt Enameled cast iron below for about
>$72. I ordered this based on a friend who has two.

That's a real steal for any Staub, let alone the 6 qt. They're absolute top
quality.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:40:00 -0400, "Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:

>I just order one from QVC a Staub 5qt Enameled cast iron below for about
>$72. I ordered this based on a friend who has two.

Ah, I see it's a new Staub "Basix" line. Well other than going lighter gaue,
what can you do to enameled cassiron to be more basic? Not the traditional Staub
flat black carried by Sur la Table, for example, but color doesn't really
matter. Does it have the little stalactites on the lid?

Looks like the 6 qt is an oval as well, which is what I'd like.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"pltrgyst" > wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:40:00 -0400, "Joe Cilinceon" >
> wrote:
>
>>I just order one from QVC a Staub 5qt Enameled cast iron below for about
>>$72. I ordered this based on a friend who has two.

> Ah, I see it's a new Staub "Basix" line. Well other than going lighter
> gaue,
> what can you do to enameled cassiron to be more basic? Not the traditional
> Staub
> flat black carried by Sur la Table, for example, but color doesn't really
> matter. Does it have the little stalactites on the lid?
>
> Looks like the 6 qt is an oval as well, which is what I'd like.

I came across the Basix line this past fall when I stopped in a kitchen
store in Delaware. To me, there was a definite quality difference between
their normal line and the Basix line. Not to say that the Basix line is not
worth the lower cost, but it's not like you are getting the same thing with
a different name on it for a lower price. I'm sure it is just as functional.

Staub does make their normal line in color now (perhaps they always did for
all I know). It's not just the matte black that was common.

In contrast, I believe that Le Creuset and Cousances are the same in all
regards other than the name on it. I have a 7 qt. oval oven with a grill pan
lid made by Cousances that I got around a decade ago. Within the past year
or so, I have seen exactly the same oven now with the Le Creuset name.

Just for reference I do have Le Creuset, Cousances, and Staub regular
pieces. The Staub piece I have is the original matte black small mussel pot
with the knob on top.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mar 18, 1:36 am, pltrgyst > wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 16:42:38 GMT, "limey" > wrote:

> The wife wouldn't let me buy any more knives, so we bought a 40" Sony LCD
> flat-screen instead. That'll teach her. 8
>
> -- Larry

At Costco today:
I don't know if this is the one you bought, but a Sony 40" Bravia LCD
HDTV 1366 X 768 RESOLUTION HDMI INPUT AND DIGITAL TUNER listed AT
$1749 was on sale for $1674.99 thru March 18.

Tomorrow, March 18, I believe it will be on sale (with coupon) for
$1549.

Several people were looking at it, one couple not knowing it will be
on sale tomorrow.
This one was certainly beautiful color.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

In article <lDYJh.8933$t8.8605@trndny02>, limey > wrote:

> I just received a flyer from Bed, Bath and Beyond.
> Apparently, Calphalon has just come out with some enameled cast iron, being
> sold (exclusively, they say)
> by B,B&B.
>
> The five-quart Dutch oven is $129.95; the eight-quart is
> $179.99. Worth taking a look, I think.
>
> Dora

Try taking a look at Innova cast iron (enameled and non-stick cast iron)
We have them available at Macy's and the cost is reasonable and
all the pieces have never given us any sort of problem.
We do not clean them in the dishwasher but they wash up easily
using hand wash so no idea about the rigors of going through a disk washer
with these. They are really resistant to enamel chipping and the
quality and performance is easily on a par with Le Creuset.
After buying and cooking with the Innova cast iron cookware
we have found no need to buy any more Le Creuset since there
is absolutely no difference between these two manufacturers
when it comes to cooking performance, durability and warranty.
We've never had to use the warranty - but Macy's never hassles
anyone with returns or problems so that is another good thing.