Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default "Variable heat" electric range available anywhere?

"Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" > wrote:
> Well, traditionally stoves (or ranges) here in EU (certainly in Greece)
> have
> 3 elements for each hob, and a dial for each hob, that is numbered from 0
> 3 with 1/2 subdivisions(thus 0-1/2-1-11/2...)and the three elements are
> turned on and off, respectively.So, for full heat, all 3.For 1/2 set.the
> smallest one etc.

They used to have burners with multiple elements here in the USA, but I
think they disappeared by the mid 1970s. I have a catalog of home and
apartment repair parts that lists a few replacement burners that have two
elements in the burner. The listings for these say for GE through 1975.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 00:22:40 GMT, "wff_ng_7" >
wrote:

>"Mark Lloyd" > wrote:
>> The old electric stove my grandmother had had one burner that was
>> thermostatically controlled. The other burners didn't have knobs, but
>> rows of buttons (labeled something like "high", 'med-high", "medium",
>> "med-low", "low", "simmer", "warm", "off"). BTW, it also had a 120V
>> outlet on it. I guess people usually didn't have enough countertop
>> outlets then.

>I know I've lived on one or more houses as a kid that had the push button
>controls for the surface elements. The last one I remember my parents
>replaced in 1965, so the stove must have been from the 1950s or even late
>1940s. I think push button controls were gone by the mid 1960s.
>
>I do have a 120V outlet on my gas stove, circa 1973. It comes in handy since
>the nearest outlet on that side of the kitchen is six feet away. The house
>was built in 1963.

My grandmother got this stove in 1967, but it was used at the time.
I'm not sure exactly when it was made, but I'd guess around 1960.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment
Bob Bob is offline

Mark Lloyd wrote:
> The old electric stove my grandmother had had one burner that was
> thermostatically controlled. The other burners didn't have knobs, but
> rows of buttons (labeled something like "high", 'med-high", "medium",
> "med-low", "low", "simmer", "warm", "off").

GE and Hotpoint ranges of the 50s and 60s typically had dual coil
surface units with five switched heat levels:

High -- 240V across both coils in parallel
Second -- 240V across one coil
Third -- 240V across both coils in series
Low -- 120V across one coil
Warm -- 120V across both coils in series

The "infinite level" time regulated controls in modern ranges require
much less wiring than the old style (less cost) and provide more user
control.
Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

I grew up in a house built in the early 1970s that had a four burner
General Electric cooktop with a push button control mounted on the wall
behind it. Each burner had eight or so buttons to regulate its heat
output. When I visited last Thanksgiving, it was still in service.

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in
> I know I've lived on one or more houses as a kid that had the push
> button controls for the surface elements. The last one I remember my
> parents replaced in 1965, so the stove must have been from the 1950s
> or even late 1940s. I think push button controls were gone by the mid
> 1960s.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Peter A" > wrote in message

-snip-

> Microwave ovens work the same way, although I have some vague
> recollection that some fancy models have variable power.

I recently purchased a new microwave that has variable output power (labeled
as "inverter technology"). It was sub $100 US so I wouldn't call it
"fancy". It has 4 power ranges and uses duty cycle control between the
power ranges to regulate the 10 available power settings. It is FAR
superior at the lower power settings. When defrosting or cooking on low, my
old microwave would singe and pause repeatedly. Cycling 1/4 power more
often yields MUCH better results.

The new microwave also behaves much better on my small backup generator -
conventional microwaves have really poor power factor AND significant even
order harmonics, both not appreciated by generator voltage regulators. The
even order harmonics are from the voltage doubler magnetron circuit. On one
half of the line waveform, the diode charges the cap up. On the other half
cycle, it fires the magnetron with the cap in series with the line voltage.
Since the back EMF when charging the cap is not equal to the fire voltage of
the magnetron minus the cap charge, the waveform is highly asymmetrical.