Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sis Sis is offline

Default above range microwave

I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a microwave.
Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to increase the
counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line of microwaves.
Thanks for any help. Sis

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Sis said...

> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
> microwave.

CON:
Sure, if you don't mind living in a discolored, stinky, peeling
paint/wallpaper house, from all the smoke, odors and moisture.

All in the interest of counterspace?

I'd reconsider if I were you.

$0.02,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

CON: It's difficult handling hot dishes at face level. More difficult if
the burners of the stove are in use and are leaning over a hot stove to use
the microwave.

Try heating a bowl of soup and carrying it around at the height that you
would be installing your microwave.

"Sis" > wrote in message
> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line of
> microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KW KW is offline

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Sis said...
>
> > I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
> > microwave.

> CON:
> Sure, if you don't mind living in a discolored, stinky, peeling
> paint/wallpaper house, from all the smoke, odors and moisture.

Andy, I would agree that switching from an outside venting hood to one that
just blows the smoke/grease/steam back into your house is not a good idea,
however some models have the option of connecting up to the original outside
venting instead of the interior filter. We have a Magic Chef over-stove
model that has that option and it works great. Actually, the OP didn't
mention whether the existing hood was externally vented or a recirculating
internal unit so it may be a moot point.

The only thing I don't like about ours is that you loose the ability to put
really tall pots on the back burner (only an issue during canning season)
and when you have 3 - 4 eyes on the stove running with boiling items, the
heat triggers a thermal switch that turns the fan on high with no ability
for a manual override.
KW

> All in the interest of counterspace?
>
> I'd reconsider if I were you.
>
> $0.02,
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sis Sis is offline

"Rina" > wrote in message
. ..
> CON: It's difficult handling hot dishes at face level. More difficult if
> the burners of the stove are in use and are leaning over a hot stove to
> use the microwave.
>
> Try heating a bowl of soup and carrying it around at the height that you
> would be installing your microwave.

> "Sis" > wrote in message
>> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
>> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
>> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line
>> of microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis

The microwave would vent to the outside-I forgot to mention that. Thanks for
the advice from everyone, I appreciate it and any other thoughts that would
help in my decision. Thanks again! Sis

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Sis said...

> "Rina" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> CON: It's difficult handling hot dishes at face level. More difficult
>> if the burners of the stove are in use and are leaning over a hot stove
>> to use the microwave.
>>
>> Try heating a bowl of soup and carrying it around at the height that
>> you would be installing your microwave.

>> "Sis" > wrote in message
>>> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
>>> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
>>> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG
>>> line of microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis
>>>

> The microwave would vent to the outside-I forgot to mention that. Thanks
> for the advice from everyone, I appreciate it and any other thoughts
> that would help in my decision. Thanks again! Sis

Sis,

You're just removing the hood to make room for a microwave BUT the exhaust
fan will still be operational BUT the hood's ability to gather and remove
the smoke, odor and moisture will be gone?

Try this... keep the vent hood. Juggle countertop appliances as needed.
I've got my KA mixer, toaster oven and crockpot tucked away until needed.
There's always the same empty counter space for when the next kitchen
appliance gets called into service, used, cleaned and again hidden away.

That's how I manage counter space.

Good luck,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 01:21:30 -0500, "Sis" > wrote:

>I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a microwave.
>Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to increase the
>counterspace in a fairly small kitchen....

Pros: Saves counterspace.

Cons: Less working height over cooktop.
Less airflow than dedicated exhaust hood.
Less working height over cooktop.
Usually noisier than dedicated exhaust hood.
Less working height over cooktop.
Usually harder to clean exhaust innards.
Less working height over cooktop.
Usually less capacity and features than countertop microwave.
Less working height over cooktop.
Uses more power than most dedicated hoods, so may not have sufficient
current available on existing outlet branch.
Less working height over cooktop.
May introduce more vibration and heat to adjacent cabinets than a
quality exhaust hood.

Oh, yes, I may have forgotten -- the combo unit also leaves you with less
working height over the cooktop. 8

How about a compromise -- a microwave oven with a smaller footprint and more
vertical profile? Has anyone ever seen that? (I'd like one too...)

Or one that can be built into or hidden within an existing standard-depth
cabinet?

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sis" > wrote in message
> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line of
> microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis

in addition to all the other comments, isn't it easier to throw out (I mean,
RECYCLE) a bum counter top appliance than a built in one, and easier and
cheaper to find a suitable replacement?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sis" > wrote in message
> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line of
> microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis

I just installed one and love it. It has the option to vent out via the
existing vent or recycle through a charcoal filter. Much more powerful and
faster than my other free standing microwaves. Its a GE stainless steel
unit.

I'm doing another kitchen. A higher end one with a showcase hood so the
under hood microwave doesn't look right.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sis Sis is offline

Thanks so much everyone! I value and look forward to all your opinions. If
anyone else has any suggestions/ideas to add , that would also be great. I'm
still deciding and may consider a built in to the cabinet unit, if I can
find a suitable area. Thanks again! Sis
"Jack" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Sis" > wrote in message
>> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
>> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
>> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line
>> of microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis
>>

> I just installed one and love it. It has the option to vent out via the
> existing vent or recycle through a charcoal filter. Much more powerful and
> faster than my other free standing microwaves. Its a GE stainless steel
> unit.
>
> I'm doing another kitchen. A higher end one with a showcase hood so the
> under hood microwave doesn't look right.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Andy" <q> wrote in message

> CON:
> Sure, if you don't mind living in a discolored, stinky, peeling
> paint/wallpaper house, from all the smoke, odors and moisture.
>
> All in the interest of counterspace?
>
> I'd reconsider if I were you.

I'd educate myself if I were you. They can still be vented to the outside
like mine is.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sis" > wrote in message
> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line of
> microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis

We are on our second one in about 20 years.

Pro:
Save space. It is was not OTR, we'd not have a microwave
Works as well as any other. We have a convection microwave giving us a
second oven when needed.

Con
More costly that a standard microwave
Range hood is acceptable, but there are range hood that are better
If you are short, lifting a heavy dish in and out can be awkward

Your kitchen layout is a big factor. We just don't have enough counter
space for a standard MW so this is a great alternative. Having used one for
many years, if it died tomorrow, I'd buy a replacement tomorrow night.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Edwin Pawlowski said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
>>
>> CON:
>> Sure, if you don't mind living in a discolored, stinky, peeling
>> paint/wallpaper house, from all the smoke, odors and moisture.
>>
>> All in the interest of counterspace?
>>
>> I'd reconsider if I were you.

> I'd educate myself if I were you. They can still be vented to the

outside
> like mine is.

I'd educate myself if I were you, too! ;-)

--JUST KIDDING--

Andy
BS, Chemistry
Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sis Sis is offline

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
t...

> "Sis" > wrote in message
>> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
>> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
>> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line
>> of microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis

> We are on our second one in about 20 years.
>
> Pro:
> Save space. It is was not OTR, we'd not have a microwave
> Works as well as any other. We have a convection microwave giving us a
> second oven when needed.
>
> Con
> More costly that a standard microwave
> Range hood is acceptable, but there are range hood that are better
> If you are short, lifting a heavy dish in and out can be awkward
>
> Your kitchen layout is a big factor. We just don't have enough counter
> space for a standard MW so this is a great alternative. Having used one
> for many years, if it died tomorrow, I'd buy a replacement tomorrow night.

Thanks so much for your advice, Ed. One thing bothering me now is that it
probably is more work to keep it clean than a hood, which has less parts,
when it gets splattered, etc. Sis

Posted to rec.food.equipment

One thing bothering me now is that it
> probably is more work to keep it clean than a hood, which has less parts,
> when it gets splattered, etc. Sis

Not anymore than a hood and a free standing microwave - not an issue with me
anyway, but what do I know anyway I don't cook.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Jack wrote:
> One thing bothering me now is that it
>> probably is more work to keep it clean than a hood, which has less parts,
>> when it gets splattered, etc. Sis
>>

> Not anymore than a hood and a free standing microwave - not an issue with me
> anyway, but what do I know anyway I don't cook.

But do you clean up?

Matthew

--
I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
Which one do you want?
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Matthew L. Martin" > wrote in message
> Jack wrote:
>> One thing bothering me now is that it
>>> probably is more work to keep it clean than a hood, which has less
>>> parts, when it gets splattered, etc. Sis
>>>

>> Not anymore than a hood and a free standing microwave - not an issue with
>> me anyway, but what do I know anyway I don't cook.

> But do you clean up?

Just the microwave, otherwise not allow in the kitchen.

> Matthew
>
> --
> I'm a contractor. If you want an opinion I'll sell you one.
> Which one do you want?

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Sis" > wrote in message
> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line of
> microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis

Have had mine for a couple of years now & like it. Only complaint is that
its a crappy vent. I replaced an old low cost vent(to the outside model)
with a GE combo. As a microwave it works great......couldn't be happier &
love the additional counter space. As a vent my old cheapy one worked a lot
better. The problem with these combo unit is their vent surface doesn't come
far enough out to cover the front burners & their suction power is on the
low side. But the space saving feature is great.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
Sis Sis is offline

"Roughrider50" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Sis" > wrote in message
>> I've been considering replacing my above range vent hood with a
>> microwave. Could anyone give me some pros and cons? I'm doing this to
>> increase the counterspace in a fairly small kitchen. I like the LG line
>> of microwaves. Thanks for any help. Sis
>>

> Have had mine for a couple of years now & like it. Only complaint is that
> its a crappy vent. I replaced an old low cost vent(to the outside model)
> with a GE combo. As a microwave it works great......couldn't be happier &
> love the additional counter space. As a vent my old cheapy one worked a
> lot better. The problem with these combo unit is their vent surface
> doesn't come far enough out to cover the front burners & their suction
> power is on the low side. But the space saving feature is great.

Thanks so much for your advice. Sis