Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Trash compactor and hot water dispenser?

We had trash compactors and hot water dispensers for decades in our
kitchen(s) and think its indispensable just like the microwave but I don't
see many houses with it.

I'm in the process of slow flipping a house and would the lack of a trash
compactor or HW dispenser be an issue or a selling feature when its
included? The houses in that area don't have it and maybe they don't know or
don't care.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

# Fred # wrote:
> We had trash compactors and hot water dispensers for decades in our
> kitchen(s) and think its indispensable just like the microwave but I don't
> see many houses with it.
>
> I'm in the process of slow flipping a house and would the lack of a trash
> compactor or HW dispenser be an issue or a selling feature when its
> included? The houses in that area don't have it and maybe they don't know or
> don't care.

We recently moved into a house with the hot water dispenser. I hardly
ever use it except for tea or to rinse a knife off. I'ts handy for
those purposes, but the tank doesn't hold that much- maybe 2 cups.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

# Fred # said...

> We had trash compactors and hot water dispensers for decades in our
> kitchen(s) and think its indispensable just like the microwave but I
> don't see many houses with it.
>
> I'm in the process of slow flipping a house and would the lack of a
> trash compactor or HW dispenser be an issue or a selling feature when
> its included? The houses in that area don't have it and maybe they don't
> know or don't care.

The garbage collectors won't collect compacted trash. Something about it
interfering with the compaction of the rest of the trash. Might be my
garbage collectors only.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

# Fred # wrote:

> ......... but I
> don't see many houses with it.

I think that you answered your own question about desirability. As a house
flipper, you don't want to add anything that won't add to the profit of the
future sell. A trash compactor and a hot water dispensor will not break or
make a sell. It will just eat away some of your profit.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:05:36 -0500, Peter A > wrote:

>I would consider a trash compactor to be a negative. Another
>electricity-eating gadget prone to breakdowns, requiring expensive bags,
>and providing no advantages that I can think of.

Agreed. And the same goes for the hot water dispenser -- like Bunn coffee
machines, the water they maintain at high temperature becomes depleted of
trapped air and tastes flat, so many real coffee/tea lovers want no part of
them.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.equipment

# Fred # wrote:
> We had trash compactors and hot water dispensers for decades in our
> kitchen(s) and think its indispensable just like the microwave but I don't
> see many houses with it.
>
> I'm in the process of slow flipping a house and would the lack of a trash
> compactor or HW dispenser be an issue or a selling feature when its
> included? The houses in that area don't have it and maybe they don't know or
> don't care.

As far as hot water, my Cuisinart tea kettle produces 8-10 cups of
really hot water in 2-3 minutes.

I think these items are wasted money. My opinion only.
Don't even think of adding a swimming pool!
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment

wrote:

>I would consider a trash compactor to be a negative. Another
>electricity-eating gadget prone to breakdowns, requiring expensive bags,
>and providing no advantages that I can think of.

That is the way many homeowners are thinking....and now you can buy
wine coolers that fit exactly in the space the compactor used to
occupy.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:05:36 -0500, Peter A >
> wrote:
>
> >I would consider a trash compactor to be a negative. Another
> >electricity-eating gadget prone to breakdowns, requiring expensive bags,
> >and providing no advantages that I can think of.
> >

> That is the way many homeowners are thinking....and now you can buy
> wine coolers that fit exactly in the space the compactor used to
> occupy.

Phew! only holds 30 bottles for the same space as a compactor. Is that
a month's worth - for some?
Dee

Posted to rec.food.equipment
KLS KLS is offline

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:46:07 -0800, "# Fred #" >
wrote:

>I'm in the process of slow flipping a house and would the lack of a trash
>compactor or HW dispenser be an issue or a selling feature when its
>included? The houses in that area don't have it and maybe they don't know or
>don't care.

We don't know, and we don't care. Save your $$ on those two
appliances!
Posted to rec.food.equipment

"# Fred #" > wrote in message
. ..
> We had trash compactors and hot water dispensers for decades in our
> kitchen(s) and think its indispensable just like the microwave but I don't
> see many houses with it.
>
> I'm in the process of slow flipping a house and would the lack of a trash
> compactor or HW dispenser be an issue or a selling feature when its
> included? The houses in that area don't have it and maybe they don't know
> or don't care.

Had a compactor in my old house. That is the one appliance I don't miss at
all.

Never had the HW dispenser, nor do I want one. I want the water heated
fresh, not sitting for up to 24 hours at a time. I just don't think it
would make a proper cup of tea.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Thanks to all for your opinions and the responses were quite unexpected.
Have to rethink this one for flipping.

I could see why you don't need a compactor but I have trash from tenants
whenever they move and without a compactor I need to make more trips to the
dump. So that's cost effective for me but perhaps not for a buyer. There is
very little electricity used as its only used couple of minutes a day.
Regarding reliability I had only one breakdown in 25 years and that was my
fault by not using it correctly. As for expensive bags, we get it from
Costco but don't even consider the price as we only use one bag per week.
Our cost for pick up service is expensive here and if your on the border
line between a large can and a smaller one, the compactor will cost
effective with a payback in a few years.

Now for the HW dispenser, it comes in 1/3 and 1/2 gallon capacities so its
more than two cups. My coffee maker has a build-in timer and grinder for
fresh beans and it automatically dispense a fresh pot of coffee first thing
in the morning. I couldn't tell the difference regarding the taste between
my coffee machine and the HW dispenser. But if you could than I admit that
would be an issue. My major gripe about the HW dispenser is it only last 3
years, 7 at most - the tank usually breaks down first like your hot water
heater.

Yes, I agree neither the compactor or the dispenser would make or break the
deal and maybe better with money spend in a better kitchen flooring or
cabinets - again I wonder if buyers could tell or appreciate the difference,
perhaps not. I just wanted to flip a quality house not like the one I
purchased a few years ago where everything looks good but falls apart in a
few years.

In any case, thanks again for a different perspective.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

# Fred # wrote:

> .......I just wanted to flip a
> quality house not like the one I purchased a few years ago where
> everything looks good but falls apart in a few years.

I just don't see how a hot water dispenser or a trash compactor meets that
goal. I would want to flip a house in order to make as much money as the
market will bear, with as little of an investment as required. IMO, a trash
compactor and a hot water dispenser is a negative cash flow with no return.

You asked us if anyone sees these items as an added value in considering a
house purchase, to which the answer was a unanimous 'no'. You've mentioned
why *you* like trash compactors and hot water dispensers, which is fine. But
it seems that by continuing to advocate the case for these items, you are
not able to look at this as a purely business decision. In my mind, flipping
a house is just another business; and in business you want to keep your
overhead as low as possible. This does not translate into cutting corners.
But it does mean that you hang onto every penny as if it's your last, and
you keep costs to an absolute minimum.

If this was my flip, I would spend the money on outside curb appeal
projects. At any rate, the best of luck to you.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.equipment

> If this was my flip, I would spend the money on outside curb appeal
> projects. >

Good suggestion Dave, I'll keep this in mind.