Posted to rec.food.equipment

Default Kitchen Remodeling--30" vs. 36" gas cooktop

My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen and are trying to decide between a
30 inch and a 36 inch gas cooktop.

We had pretty much decided on a 6 burner 36 cooktop (probably Viking), but
now we aren't sure why we need 6 burners.

There are only two of us, but we have people over for dinner maybe 4 times a
month.

So we would be very interested in comments and suggestions from people who
have moved from a four burner cooktop to a 30 inch or 36 inch cooktop.

What do you like?

Is the 36 inch six burner great? Why?

Bill
Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:57:06 -0500, Bill Hogsett
> wrote:

>Is the 36 inch six burner great? Why?

We just redid our kitchen in 2006, as was discussed here at length.
The one regret I have is not designing for the 36-inch cooktop. I'll
never again settle for 30 inches, no matter how good the layout.

It's not the six burners per se; it's the resulting flexibility in
accomodating multiple large pots and pans. IMO, by all means, go for
the 36.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bill Hogsett" > wrote in message

> My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen and are trying to decide between
> 30 inch and a 36 inch gas cooktop.

> Is the 36 inch six burner great? Why?

If you have the space, the 36" gives much more working area for large pots
and pans. Even with 4 burners, I'd go for the 36" just for the added space.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:57:06 -0500, Bill Hogsett
> wrote:

>We had pretty much decided on a 6 burner 36 cooktop (probably Viking), but
>now we aren't sure why we need 6 burners.

I chose a 36" Wolf rangetop....four burner and grill. I love having
the grill and have a separate Lodge griddle for those types of items.
I can't imagine having all six burners on at one time...but if you
did, don't neglect your hood. That will be vital. The BTU's will
be overwhelming. The hood is required for the grill.

Posted to rec.food.equipment
jes jes is offline

I have a 36" - 4 burners and a grill.

But the most useful accessory is the griddle which fits over 2 burners.
I can do an entire meal on it. Back burners on low to keep food warm;
front on high for searing. It lifts off for easy clean-up.

My stove came with a built-in grill, but the clean up is horrendous, I
don't use it. It's covered so that is very useful in shuffling things
around.

Joan

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Bill Hogsett wrote:
> My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen and are trying to decide between a
> 30 inch and a 36 inch gas cooktop.
>
> We had pretty much decided on a 6 burner 36 cooktop (probably Viking), but
> now we aren't sure why we need 6 burners.
>
> There are only two of us, but we have people over for dinner maybe 4 times a
> month.
>
> So we would be very interested in comments and suggestions from people who
> have moved from a four burner cooktop to a 30 inch or 36 inch cooktop.
>
> What do you like?
>
> Is the 36 inch six burner great? Why?
>
> Bill

We used to have a 30" range and then moved to a 36" that had 4 burners
with a downdraft in the middle. Now we've moved up in our new house to 8
burners and a grill (Only because we got a terrific deal on this stove).
I can only say that more room to work in is fabulous! Even just the
spaced out 4 burners in our 36" was a happier more productive workspace.
There is room for your pots and pans of any size. There's room to take
something off the heat and work with it. There is room for a utensil
caddy over your unused covered burners. You can cook with your friends
and family at the same time. I would definitely go for the most space
you can design into your kitchen stove space.

Happy cooking,
Melondy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Melondy Hill said...

> Bill Hogsett wrote:
>> My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen and are trying to decide
>> between a 30 inch and a 36 inch gas cooktop.
>>
>> We had pretty much decided on a 6 burner 36 cooktop (probably Viking),
>> but now we aren't sure why we need 6 burners.
>>
>> There are only two of us, but we have people over for dinner maybe 4
>> times a month.
>>
>> So we would be very interested in comments and suggestions from people
>> who have moved from a four burner cooktop to a 30 inch or 36 inch
>> cooktop.
>>
>> What do you like?
>>
>> Is the 36 inch six burner great? Why?
>>
>> Bill

> We used to have a 30" range and then moved to a 36" that had 4 burners
> with a downdraft in the middle. Now we've moved up in our new house to 8
> burners and a grill (Only because we got a terrific deal on this stove).
> I can only say that more room to work in is fabulous! Even just the
> spaced out 4 burners in our 36" was a happier more productive workspace.
> There is room for your pots and pans of any size. There's room to take
> something off the heat and work with it. There is room for a utensil
> caddy over your unused covered burners. You can cook with your friends
> and family at the same time. I would definitely go for the most space
> you can design into your kitchen stove space.
>
> Happy cooking,
> Melondy

I saw a TV cooking island that just wow'd me! It was Michael Lomonoco's
"Epicurious" show on the Travel Channel.

What I saw, or what I perceived I saw (thanks to the camera in motion) was
the island had (from left to right, from the audiences veiwpoint), a sink, a
food prep/chopping block area, a gas bbq grill AND, AT THE END of the island
was a 4-burner cooktop that could be worked from the three sides!!!

It was such that you AND others at the same time could each tend a burner, or
one cook could work around the three sides without the pots or pans being
obstacles, typically associated with countertop cooktops (two front/two
rear).

Instantly I realized the brilliance of the design.

When the time comes, that's how I'm going to design my island.

------------
\ | / |
------------------ |
| | o o | __ | <--- 7 walk-around standing positions
| | o o | |
------------------ |
/ | \ |
------------

Andy
Posted to rec.food.equipment

Bill, you and your DW should absolutely go for the 36 inch. I switched
my 10 year old cooktop that had invdividual grates, for another 36 inch
model that had with integral grates - what a difference that makes!
You can slide a heavy pot from one burner to the next without gritting
your teeth, and you dont have to worry about cracking the cooktop from
the weight of the pot sliding along the grate.

The extra burners are handy for resting hot pans right out of the oven
instead of your countertop.

In my house, during big baking periods, or parties, the grates hold my
cookie sheets and stackable cooling racks, leaving more room on my
counter for baking.

Even on easy cooking days, you can use the extra burner areas for
holding your cookbook, or cutting board while you prepare dinner there.

I am only sorry that I did not get the viking, since I have a thermador
drop in cooktop - double ovens in another cabinet. Which is IMHO the
best setup - no bending over to see what is in the oven, or knocking
the chef at the stove away while you check on your oven.

Although, having corian was a better investment because the new cooktop
was bigger than the first and you can easily cut the corian with a
router. I dont think it is that simple with granite.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

Thanks to everyone who responded with answers and suggestions to my
question about the gas cooktop size.

We plan to go with the 36 inch range (probably the 6 burner Viking
professional model).

Bill

Posted to rec.food.equipment

"Bill Hogsett" > wrote in message

> My wife and I are remodeling our kitchen and are trying to decide between
> 30 inch and a 36 inch gas cooktop.
>
> We had pretty much decided on a 6 burner 36 cooktop (probably Viking), but
> now we aren't sure why we need 6 burners.
>
> There are only two of us, but we have people over for dinner maybe 4 times
> month.
>
> So we would be very interested in comments and suggestions from people who
> have moved from a four burner cooktop to a 30 inch or 36 inch cooktop.
>
> What do you like?
>
> Is the 36 inch six burner great? Why?
>
> Bill

A little off topic but I saw this documentary on poor Chinese farmers and
the wife was preparing a special feast for something like 15 people. She had
only one burner and was able wipe up a dozen different dishes. No idea how
she did it in that one room house on that one burner. Saw something like
that too in India. I could only imagine what they could do with a 6 burner
Viking range and some prep room.

Posted to rec.food.equipment

If you have the room for it, go with the 36 inch. In Australia, the
standard cooktop size is 60cm (24 inches). When we remodelled our kitchen
we got a 90cm (36 inches) cooktop for 2 adults and 1 child. It makes it
easier to use large pots and pans. It had 4 burners (one was a wok burner)
and a fish burner - long burner for fish kettles. This was perfect for our
griddle. We moved about 18 months ago and there is no room in our kitchen
for a 90cm cooktop unfortunately. I'd love to have that luxury again.