Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Default Tell me this about celebrity chef cookware

Has anybody else noticed that most cookware endorsed by "celebrity" chefs
(eg. Wusthof's 'Emeril' line, Anolon's Rachel Ray line, et al.) is generally
at the low end, both in price point and quality, of what the manufacturer
makes (eg. the above Emeril line is stamped not forged)...?

Does this mean that the type of person who would buy a line of cookware
based on a "celebrity" chef endorsement is not usually the type of person
who can afford top-of-the-line items?

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

Zarky Zork wrote:

> Does this mean that the type of person who would buy a line of
> cookware based on a "celebrity" chef endorsement is not usually the
> type of person who can afford top-of-the-line items?

It perfectly makes sense to me: TV programs are for the mass, and low-end
cookware is for the mass.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"Zarky Zork" > wrote

> Has anybody else noticed that most cookware endorsed by "celebrity" chefs
> (eg. Wusthof's 'Emeril' line, Anolon's Rachel Ray line, et al.) is
> generally
> at the low end, both in price point and quality, of what the manufacturer
> makes (eg. the above Emeril line is stamped not forged)...?
>
> Does this mean that the type of person who would buy a line of cookware
> based on a "celebrity" chef endorsement is not usually the type of person
> who can afford top-of-the-line items?

I have an Emerilware non-stick pan, it's made by All Clad, and it's
a very nice pan. The Emerilware saute pan (I can't take it, it's a 10-inch
frying pan, dammit), came out on top in a Cook's Illustrated product
review.

When you say cookware, I think of pots, not knives, but same thing, the
product does have the celebrity name on it and it's not crap. I bought
the Emerilware pot because it was there and I needed it, wasn't until
later I noticed the Emeril part, and even later that I noticed the All Clad
part. I was looking only at the pan.

For what it's worth.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

"yetanotherBob" > wrote:
> Ability to "afford" is one possible factor, but I'm guessing that the
> ability (or lack of ability) to think independently and to discern
> "quality" differences might be another more influential factor. "As
> Seen on TV!" seems to be a powerful marketing lever.

"As Seen on TV!" does lend an enormous amount of credibility to a product.
Notice you don't hear anyone saying "As Heard on the Radio!"... there's
probably a reason for that. Radio advertisers seem to include some of the
biggest shysters of all time. My favorites include:

Home Funding Group with Howard Olmstead... your "payment rate" is only
1-1/4%
http://www.radio-ad.com/h/media/home...s_2005_usa.mp3

Lucinda Bassett and her Midwest Center... and that second drink, well who's
counting?
http://www.radio-ad.com/m/media/midw...s_usa_2005.mp3

The See Clearly Method... who hasn't heard this one... a million times!
(sorry, no audio sample of this scam)

I really love the ones by the Home Funding Group. Some of them say "this is
truly life changing". I agree, when they foreclose on you because you can't
make the payments, it will be "truly life changing"! ;-)

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

--
( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.equipment

In article <C1bnh.24936$Ap5.11787@trnddc04>,
says...
> "yetanotherBob" > wrote:
> > Ability to "afford" is one possible factor, but I'm guessing that the
> > ability (or lack of ability) to think independently and to discern
> > "quality" differences might be another more influential factor. "As
> > Seen on TV!" seems to be a powerful marketing lever.

> "As Seen on TV!" does lend an enormous amount of credibility to a product.
> Notice you don't hear anyone saying "As Heard on the Radio!"... there's
> probably a reason for that. Radio advertisers seem to include some of the
> biggest shysters of all time. My favorites include:
>
> Home Funding Group with Howard Olmstead... your "payment rate" is only
> 1-1/4%

http://www.radio-ad.com/h/media/home...s_2005_usa.mp3

> Lucinda Bassett and her Midwest Center... and that second drink, well who's
> counting?
> http://www.radio-ad.com/m/media/midw...s_usa_2005.mp3
>
> The See Clearly Method... who hasn't heard this one... a million times!
> (sorry, no audio sample of this scam)
>
> I really love the ones by the Home Funding Group. Some of them say "this is
> truly life changing". I agree, when they foreclose on you because you can't
> make the payments, it will be "truly life changing"! ;-)
>
> --
> ( #wff_ng_7# at #verizon# period #net# )

Ah, the Golden Days of Radio. I grew up in Chicago with at least part
of my chidhood TV-free, and I can still remember some of the ad jingles.

A low pitched, monotone, male voice chanting "MOhawk four, four one
hundred, C-E-T for tele-vision" to the slow, deep beat of a tom-tom
drum. Then the announcer coming on to tout their Quarter-Meter Plan,
with the coin box bolted to the side of your new TV, which was probably
repo-ed from some other poor sucker. I forget how much time you got for
a quarter, but it wasn't a lot, considering you could get five good-
sized Snickers bars for the same money...

Ah yes, the wail of the air raid sirens being tested every Tuesday at
10:30 AM; the Civil Defense shelter signs on the subway station
entrances; Now THOSE were the days. :-)

Bob